Kylie Minogue

I assume after the underperformance of "Skirt,"

I don’t think that’s fair to say. “Skirt” wasn’t even a proper single, you could only download it from BeatPort for the longest time and it was just plopped out there with no buildup anyways.

Slightly off topic: If “Skirt” was added to the expanded edition of Step Back In Time I would’ve double dipped.

That would explain why Kylie had to fight for the inclusion of "Mr President," although she probably should've fought for the inclusion of "Waiting For The Sun" instead.
Hisssssssss “>:(“

he / him
I don’t think that’s fair to say. “Skirt” wasn’t even a proper single, you could only download it from BeatPort for the longest time and it was just plopped out there with no buildup anyways.
It was meant to be a viral moment or whatever, but instead it was met with a lukewarm reception.

Have you listened to the instrumental? I think it's on youtube. The layers in the production are pop perfection.

I love the type of song Golden Boy is but lyrically it's where it loses me. Great production, solid verses and then the chorus is just way too repetitive.

Kiss Me Once is a classic example of an album that was caught at the very end of that awkward transition when pop fully evolved into the current, internet-driven age we see today, at the end of the iTunes era just before streaming really came into play, in that half of it, and what was relased as outtakes/leaked, was actually very current at the time and even forward thinking, and the other half (while mostly pleasant) was pretty basic and dated on arrival.

Kiss Me Once is a classic example of an album that was caught at the very end of that awkward transition when pop fully evolved into the current, internet-driven age we see today, at the end of the iTunes era just before streaming really came into play, in that half of it, and what was relased as outtakes/leaked, was actually very current at the time and even forward thinking, and the other half (while mostly pleasant) was pretty basic and dated on arrival.

There's an argument to be made that Aphrodite was caught by the same forces, just at an earlier part in the transition when the pop music industry started shifting from UK-based artists with staggered international promo to US-based ones who could command worldwide releases with huge marketing spend based in the States which would largely roll out interntionally by the internet's own carrier pigeon for free - aka the fans on their socials. On a purely marketing level, Kylie just wasn't capable of competing with them at the turn of the 2010s.