Kylie Minogue

Thinking about the X album, which was the first Kylie album released after I became a fan.

At the time, I remember a bit of a critical and fan shrug about it. Because it was Kylie's "comeback" album post-cancer, people wanted something euphoric and life-affirming and full of subtext (or just text) about overcoming odds and being A Survivor. Instead 2 Hearts was the lead single and I know it was a bit of a head-scratcher for a lot of people - I loved it, but even back then I knew that it wasn't at all what people were looking for.

I was down with the album, loved songs like Sensitized and The One and No More Rain, etc. I also remember the special she did to celebrate the album launch, and I enjoyed that too, loved the set pieces they created for the performances and all that. But if I remember right, in Spring 2008 either Out or Attitude did a very lengthy feature article over what a mess the album/campaign had turned into, and asking what went wrong. So this was a *thing* that journalists felt the need to dedicate pieces to.

Do you guys remember when X came out? What did you think of it? What did you think of 2 Hearts? Has your opinion on the album changed over time into something more positive or negative?

Thinking about the X album, which was the first Kylie album released after I became a fan.

At the time, I remember a bit of a critical and fan shrug about it. Because it was Kylie's "comeback" album post-cancer, people wanted something euphoric and life-affirming and full of subtext (or just text) about overcoming odds and being A Survivor. Instead 2 Hearts was the lead single and I know it was a bit of a head-scratcher for a lot of people - I loved it, but even back then I knew that it wasn't at all what people were looking for.

I was down with the album, loved songs like Sensitized and The One and No More Rain, etc. I also remember the special she did to celebrate the album launch, and I enjoyed that too, loved the set pieces they created for the performances and all that. But if I remember right, in Spring 2008 either Out or Attitude did a very lengthy feature article over what a mess the album/campaign had turned into, and asking what went wrong. So this was a *thing* that journalists felt the need to dedicate pieces to.

Do you guys remember when X came out? What did you think of it? What did you think of 2 Hearts? Has your opinion on the album changed over time into something more positive or negative?
I just remember thinking 2 Hearts was absolutely dreadful (and I still do). Over time the album has grown on me and I find it far more interesting than some of her other albums that quite clearly follow the traditional Kylie formula, like say Aphrodite or Disco. Speakerphone, In My Arms, Wow, Like a Drug - all great. I also never really got the hype regarding The One, it's probably one of my least favourite Kylie singles.

Overall she definitely has better albums but she also has worse.

2 Hearts isn’t bad but it just doesn’t fit on the album.

As a whole, the record is a fun collection of tracks, and the whole era had a lot of amazing songs - the album is 5x 13-track discs in my iTunes! They did make some mistakes with the b-sides instead of album songs, but at least they got released somehow.

I would love for there to be a "Complete" collection released one day with all the b-sides and some of the better quality unreleased tracks. Perhaps for the 20th anniversary.

They absolutely fucked up with the singles choice, though. In My Arms should have always been the lead.

I enjoy most of X but it's not of my big favourites.
It's amazing how much stuff has been recorded for it (was all of it recorded after Showgirl Homecoming finished?).
Out of what was officially released, Carried Away and Cherry Bomb should have been on the album for sure as they fit the main electro(clash?) sound.

The tour is also a great watch. Each act couldn't be more different from the others but they somehow all fit the album imagery well.

It's amazing how much stuff has been recorded for it (was all of it recorded after Showgirl Homecoming finished?).
The songs with Jake Shears and Babydaddy were recorded earlier in 2006 before the tour has started, which explains "White Diamond" being on the setlist, but she 'officially' began recording in January 2007 (the earliest sessions being with Biff, Julian Peake and Paul Harris) and continued throughout the rest of that year.

Just listened to the first part of the Journey Through SAW podcast on What Do I Have To Do, great to hear the enthusiasm for this amazing track. It's my all time favourite Kylie single too and my favourite Kylie video, she has never bettered this as a single package for me. People rave about Better The Devil You Know but it's always been What Do I Have To Do for me.

I mean

CBz1F1.gif

tumblr_mfbvl7u3el1r2wuqlo1_500.gif

4ulpmm.jpg

Iconic.

Just listened to the first part of the Journey Through SAW podcast on What Do I Have To Do, great to hear the enthusiasm for this amazing track. It's my all time favourite Kylie single too and my favourite Kylie video, she has never bettered this as a single package for me. People rave about Better The Devil You Know but it's always been What Do I Have To Do for me.

I mean

CBz1F1.gif

tumblr_mfbvl7u3el1r2wuqlo1_500.gif

4ulpmm.jpg

Iconic.
"How many movie stars can you look like in 3 and a half minutes?"

Quite a few it would seem.