Kylie: The Complete Discography Rate - Part. 1 The Albums+ (RESULTS! #58-57) | Page 65 | The Popjustice Forum

Kylie: The Complete Discography Rate - Part. 1 The Albums+ (RESULTS! #58-57)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 16, 2020.

?

What is your favourite Kylie era?

1. PWL Years: 1989-1993

19 vote(s)
    15.1%
  2. Deconstruction: 1994-1999

24 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Parlophone+: 2000-

83 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. You called?

[​IMG]

2. And after weeping for your soul first, I answered the phone.

Maki, Crisp X and Verandi like this.
  3. I’m a bit torn on Bittersweet Goodbye. Her vocals are fantastic, but the arrangements are very banal. There’s too much 90’s ballad genericness to it. I feel like with a few tweaks, I would’ve loved it. Strip it down a little, let the backing choir-y vocals be on the forefront, and I would’ve praised it like the Enya fan I’ve become!

4. Calling for Loveboat though... that's one of the few Light Years songs that do camp well.

Ramalama and mrdonut like this.
  5. I love Bittersweet Goodbye. It’s a 7 from me. Gone too soon. Like someone said the anti tour outing was stunning and the perfect place for it.

6. [​IMG]

I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday 5.8

Highest Score: 10 x 1 @Adora Day
    Lowest Score: 1 x 2 @P'NutButter, @M24

@nanafan - 6.5 Better live at the Albert Hall than on the record but a great choice of cover song and fits Kylie well.
    @Andsov - 4 Fun at the Royal Albert Hall, not so much on record.
    @M24 - 1 The song is meh. And I'm not sure they made it too different here. Should've been kept in the vault IMHO. The first two Snow Queen songs were great additions but not the last two (this and Wonderful Christmastime).

GimmeWork, M24, funkyg and 20 others like this.
  7. Oh what a shame. Her cover of this is sublime!! She really captures the spirit of it and takes it up another level. Brilliant. Can’t believe you gave it a 1 P’Nut!

P'NutButter, IntoTheBlue and Robert like this.
  8. I appreciate the sentiments behind Bittersweet Goodbye, but it’s just such a downer put right in the middle of an album full of campy disco fun. Should’ve just been a b-side. If they needed to have a ballad on the album, Ocean Blue should’ve been it.

And I will not accept Koocachoo slander!

9. IVe just caught up with about 10 pages, this thread moves quick! My opinions from memory of some eliminations. I love Limpido and think it should've lasted a bit longer, Lazy was forgettable to me, Tears on My Pillow and Give Me Just A Little More time are cute little numbers and suffer on here because they are covers and SAW era singles. I bloody love I Guess I Like It Like That, it's so 1991 it hurts!

Every time there's a Kylie rate the SAW songs are rinsed! There's not enough appreciation here, I think the problem is if you didn't live through this era it can definitely sound dated but they should be appreciated from the era they came from.

M24, P'NutButter, nanafan and 4 others like this.
  10. I'm not a huge PWL fan, but we definitely should diversify the cullings a bit more. Golden and Kiss Me Once especially have a few choice songs deserving of the boot.

Let's leave Deconstruction untouched for another fifty eliminations though!

11. Kiss Me Once already lost Beautiful, meaning that there's only 9s, 10s and potential 11s left. Golden could definitely lose some (bonus) tracks, though.
    This, I can get behind!

12. I also would like One Last Kiss to exit soon, that song really grates on me

IntoTheBlue and Untouchable Ace like this.
  13. Wow, the elimination of "Bittersweet Goodbye" is possibly the biggest surprise so far - not in the way of being the first song cut from "Light Years", but the fact it left so early on.

I gave it a 7 and really enjoy it. It has some gorgeous moments, such as that string section and the production. Kylie also sounds lovely and the sentiment makes it even more delicate, especially knowing the song's background.
    Not an exceptional ballad at all, but still earns its place in Kylie's discography.

Okay, it does interrupt the flow of the album, and I can understand some not being satisfied with that, but is there really a reason to tank it with an extremely low score? I think not.

While "Bittersweet Goodbye" isn't a big loss for me and is one of my lowest scores from "Light Years", it still didn't deserve to do so badly.
    I would've prefered if "Kids" or "Koocachoo" were the first ones to leave from that album.

I guess I'll just keep calling for "The Loco-Motion" to be kicked out.

14. I gave 'Give Me Just A Little More Time' 7. It's unfairly maligned. The best part is the piano.

I was originally going to give 'Bittersweet Goodbye' 2 because I usually skip it, but I listened to it a few times and rose it to a 4. It's just not my thing but the string section is lovely and it has some nice harmonies.

I think Kylie's version of 'I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday' is actually rather good.

P'NutButter likes this.
  15. I'm looking through the last Kylie rate and I'm not physically able to deal with how pushy I was for the results to come out every 5 minutes, @P'NutButter I am sincerely sorry for that, I'm surprised I wasn't barred from this rate

Speaking of sincerely ... when is Sincerely Yours making her graceful yet needed exit from this rate

SloMover and P'NutButter like this.
  16. Balladphobia in a Kylie rate? Disappointed, but not surprised.

17. What are you talking about?
    It's not leaving.

'Low Blow' needs to blow out.

VeryPSB, SlowGinFizzzz, Maki and 2 others like this.
  18. I need Low Blow, Sincerely Yours and One Last Kiss to exit soon ...

Ramalama likes this.
  19. The same recording session that gave us Bittersweet Goodbye also gave us the vastly superior Paper Dolls and Ocean Blue.

Why Bittersweet Goodbye was chosen for the album, I’ll never know.

nikkysan likes this.
  20. Probably because it was the one that meant the most to Kylie.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.