Kylie: The Complete Discography Rate - Part. 1 The Albums+ (RESULTS! #58-57) | Page 70 | The Popjustice Forum

Kylie: The Complete Discography Rate - Part. 1 The Albums+ (RESULTS! #58-57)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by P'NutButter, Mar 16, 2020.

?

What is your favourite Kylie era?

1. PWL Years: 1989-1993

19 vote(s)
    15.1%
  2. Deconstruction: 1994-1999

24 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Parlophone+: 2000-

83 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. Just gonna quote myself:
    I Was Gonna Bop should not have left as long as anything from Kylie and Enjoy Yourself is still in the rate. Somebody mentioned that it is a bit of an acquired taste and yes, I do believe that some of you should consider acquiring some taste.

Riiiiiiiii and Maki like this.
  2. I Was Gonna Cancel is a big surprise going this early. There are many other songs from that album alone that could've gone first. Pharrell's productions always get unfair hatred on this forum, I don't even think consciously about it being his or anyone elses whenever I listen to this or many other songs he worked on (or really in general), it's just a bop. I love the stylings and the vocal melodies. One of my favorites from that era.

3. Yes, recorded as one of two possible follow up singles to Locomotion in Australia, before SAW finally returned Mushroom Records calls.

4. Bloody hell, it's a Kylie rate. Shall we take a bit of a break from the cohorting by era? Surely the pleasure of Kylie is that you can appreciate the PWL, Deconstruction and Parlophone eras - she is Kylie Chameleon after all. I wouldn't want to be without any of them.

5. Exactly!

nanafan and Maki like this.

6. [​IMG]

On oublie le reste (Jenifer Feat. Kylie) 5.94

Highest Score: 9.5 x 1 @Markus1981
    Lowest Score: 1 x 1 @letuinmybackdoor

@hawkings24 - 9 Love the CGYOOMH sample, love the production.
    @Maki - 8.5 The chorus is an ace (because of the iconic sample, of course), but I think the rest could've been better.
    @Remorque - 8 The sample's actually used quite cleverly, because the song could have actually been another Can't Get You Out of My Head clone. And Kylie singing in French? Yas.
    @Ugly Beauty - 8 I appreciate the use of the ''laa la la la la la'' hook from CGYOOMH.

@CasperFan - 6.5 Quite like this-the mash up with Head works really well.
    @madgemad - 6 Never heard this before this rate. I quite like it, but the CGYOOMH interpolation is wholly unnecessary.
    @nanafan - 3 I like the CGYOOMH sample in this and it's not a bad track but I don’t come back to it.
    @mrdonut - 2.5 Nonsense
    @M24 - 2 Eh, I'm not feeling it much. I enjoyed the part she sang in french (in the second verse, right?) but the Can't Get You Out of My Head hook really can't elevate this on its own.

7. That sample makes it enjoyable, but think it's left at the right time now.

P'NutButter, Robert and Maki like this.
  8. That's a bop, what are we doing?

Aester and Maki like this.
  9. "On oublie le reste" is a good song, but, despite the relatively high score I gave it, it's not a loss for me. Actually, 90% of her collabs won't be a loss for me, to be honest.
    It's just that when I heard the "Can't Get You Out of My Head" (i.e. the pop masterpiece), it made me greatly increase its score.

10. I gave 'I Was Gonna Cancel' 5. I like the bouncy synth and bells. But it doesn't go go go go anywhere, girl. There are better songs I have given less. Before this rate I didn't know it was a Pharrell track and now I know why I'm not that keen on it. He is one of the two most overrated producers ever (Will.I.Am is the other one).

I gave 'On Oublie Le Reste' 5 as well. But I think it is better as it has some dynamism.

hawkings24 and P'NutButter like this.
  11. The highlight of it ,that's for sure.

Maki likes this.
  12. Dunno what happened but I didn’t rate this one. It’s not even on my list. I must have copied up to Lazy and missed it.
    Oh well. I like this reimagining - it’s done quite well. Would’ve given it a 6 I think.

Maki, SophiaSophia and P'NutButter like this.
  13. The sloppily inserted La La La is literally the worst part of the song!

P'NutButter likes this.
  14. Last time round I scored I Was Gonna Cancel a 3 mainly because I had Pharrell’s participation in the appalling Blurred Lines and the very underwhelming Girl still fresh in my memory. This time round I gave a 7 as I tend to enjoy the song in an ironic fashion these days. In terms of a Pharrell production it’s the most formulaic by his standards those ‘Go’s just make me want to listen to Green Light instead which is a considerably better Pharrell production.

I have no idea how On Oublie Le Reste sounds as I forgot to score it as my list stopped at Lazy and I forgot to double check it.

P'NutButter likes this.

15. [​IMG]

Nu-di-ty 5.96

Highest Score: 10 x 4 @hawkings24, @The Hot Rock, @SophiaSophia, @Remorque
    Lowest Score: 0 x 1 @Gnuh Gnuh

@hawkings24 - 10 This is just so fun and so un-Kylie I ADORE it.
    @Verandi - 9 I'm a hoe for an atonal, tuneless mess. I-co-nic.
    @nanafan - 7 Edgy and fun. I like the variety on X and this is another example.

@Hudweiser - 6.5 Never minded this as much as some.
    @Ana Raquel - 6 This is a bizarre because I think it's a song that would work with someone singing it, but with Kylie, it does sound odd? And the melody is ruined with some bad vocal effect choices.
    @M24 - 6 Not Bloodshy & Avant's best work, but I can appreciate it better now after a couple of listens. What did she say in Japanese in the end by the way?

@MrJames - 5 Fun for what it is but not one that I listen to all that much.
    @mrdonut - 3 I adore when Kylie goes experimental and outside of preconceived notions of what she ‘should be doing’ but this is a mess. When you think of all the talent who submitted songs for this album and someone at Parlophone ended up going with this. Thoroughly depressing.
    @CasperFan - 2 Woeful and annoying!

16. This is just wrong.
    ":("

17. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YALL.

Imagine if Golden was as good as this though.

18. I looooooove Nu-Di-Ty but am not surprised.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.