Lady Gaga - 7th Album

It’s not a big leap to assume that the sequel to a movie that supported the main character in the last movie would do the same in the sequel.
Well as someone who clearly didn't like the first movie, you're free to feel what you feel! I just find this talk always veers worryingly into lacking nuance and ends up with calls for censoring art deemed "problematic," which is never a good thing. Sometimes art is made with perspectives that are uncomfortable or controversial or whatever, but that's art. Let's have some discussion.

But anyway, I'll reserve judgment for when the film comes out.

The lack of media literacy some people have…

ANYWAYS! I wonder if the Joker 2 songs will inspire anything for the new album, or the tour?

Subwaykid

Staff member
The lack of media literacy some people have…
Groan. I really don’t want to have to discuss this movie in 2024 but I guess it’s this or Nurtec at this point. Anyone who thinks the movie didn’t take a stance on him needs to rewatch the scene where he kills Randall, spares Gary, then triumphantly dances down the stairs to Gary Glitter and try to tell me he isn’t positioned as an anti-hero. Todd Phillips doesn’t have the range (or political leanings apparently!) to pull the rug out from us with this next one no matter how much we want to stan Gaga being camp, sorry folks! If someone wants to share their disappointment with Gaga taking part in this mess, they have every right to. If you think there’s going to be any nuance on display here I’ve got a bridge with your name on it.

777.png

I'm kidding...kinda

Does the movie not simply depict Arthur/Joker as this anti-hero type standing up himself and getting revenge against those who "wronged" him because that is what Arthur sees himself as? The whole movie dips in and out of reality and Arthur's fantasies, the two often blur into this weird justification of his actions at times too.
Either way, it is a very dark and unsettling movie to watch no matter how you perceive it, and many people see different things in it. Part of why it was such a talking point I guess.
The fact this strips away all the comic book superhero fantasy stuff also heightens the actions of Joker because within the comic sphere he does all that stuff (and worse) but it feels less impactful because he's in a bright purple suit with makeup and is stopped by a man dressed as a bat.

I wasn’t gonna comment but…
Does the movie not simply depict Arthur/Joker as this anti-hero type standing up himself and getting revenge against those who "wronged" him because that is what Arthur sees himself as? The whole movie dips in and out of reality and Arthur's fantasies, the two often blur into this weird justification of his actions at times too.
You get it. But of course, certain people deliberately don’t and are too busy being on the same side as the delusional incels who think it is a movie in support of them (I can’t bear the thought of what their read on Fight Club is then…).

But this is the Gaga thread and not the Joker thread so I will leave that discussion here (for real this time).