Lady Gaga - Dawn of Chromatica | Page 2186 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga - Dawn of Chromatica

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by mindtrappa, Nov 9, 2018.

2. This reminds me of her back & forth banter with Die Antwood & saying Azealia had a bad attitude

3. I was looking at the main album’s artwork and it hit me how perfectly the remix album fits that imagery now. The juxtaposition of gooy organic elements and rugged terrain with the gritty industrial machinery (the hot pink anus portal, basically) is essentially the sound of the much harder and forward thinking remix album in visual form. And even as the remix album deviates from the 90s dance inspiration of the main album, it actually fits the 90s rave flyer references much better. The particular dichotomy of natural and industrial is not new to her, but it’s satisfying that both music and visuals are finally in alignment this era.

4. ...

Digital_Fossil likes this.
  5. Some of my other favs:

6. "@carlyraejepson" always KILLS me

7. Gaga feuding with ONTD still has me hysterical. That cursed LiveJournal blog really got the girls riled up.

8. I reposted this blog on a forum & tweeted it on its social media account and got a clapback too (catty 12 year old me deserved, to be honest).

If this is the only interaction I ever get with her, I'm content.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  9. “lady gaga” is the highlight for me.

HairBodyFace likes this.
  10. A bit off topic but I've been rewatching The Nekci Menij Show in the last few evenings and it's SUCH a snapshot of those years and a major encapsulation of the peak + decline of the Main Pop Girl era.

11. Oh no, for sure. I didn't mean that none of those artists would exist if it weren't for Gaga, and I hope my post didn't come off as downplaying the other artist's success, just that Gaga's presence as an undeniable force in the ~electronic dance music~ world made it easier for queer female artists to succeed in the field. The field was (and really still is) a very male-dominated boys club back in 2008 and she kind of blew the lid off that.

Vasilios likes this.
  12. I don't know if Gaga really shaped proper Electronic Dance Music? This is all pretty much pop with some flourishes to me? I get what you mean but maybe my understanding of Electronic Dance Music is just different but that's maybe down to EDM being a word that is used often but not very precise. I feel like Blackout for example did went into Dance harder than The Fame did and that came out later? I feel like she was inspiring for her talent, her unapologetic style and her message but the music was... current pop with great sensitivities for what's hot.

But I also don't think her music is as experimental as some fans make it out to be. It mostly sounds like Pop Music should have sounded at the time of release with her pushing some boundaries quite often obviously. That's not to downplay her influence in other areas.

13. She’s been undoubtedly influential, but I think Born This Way was really the only major instance of her creating a niche sound that was wholly her own. Grungy, dirty dad rock with “sledgehammering beats” sounded unlike anything at the time. I don’t think it’s a coincidence it’s her best album.

But this is really the same point that many detractors have made from the beginning: the avant-garde imagery doesn’t really align with the music itself.

14. As I recall, Gaga broke through in the US with dance-pop music at a time when radio programmers etc. weren't featuring it a lot, not necessarily reinventing the genre itself - but even then, Just Dance also had some DNA in common with pop-leaning R&B of the time too.

I would agree that the visual aspect of her artistry has been, for the most part, the most forward thinking one.

15. Gaga's talent has never been innovation and yes, her music is not particularly avant-garde with the exception of a few songs. Her talent is in the songwriting itself. By pop standards, she has quite a way with words and she's easily one of the best chorus writers of all time.

Modeblock, speedyboi, Attis and 8 others like this.
  16. It isn’t, but to her credit it was smart of her to bring sounds and elements that were already passé in subgenres to the mainstream pop. For example, “Bad Romance” and a few of the heavier sounding songs on Born This Way were inspired (intentionally or not) by EBM/industrial dance acts like KMFDM, Combichrist, and Lords Of Acid.

BricksAndStrings likes this.
  17. Songs like Rihanna's Don't Stop the Music/Disturbia, Chris Brown's Forever (I know), etc. had sort of paved the way for a dance-pop revival in the US. That, coupled with her visuals as you pointed out, was really just the perfect storm that allowed her to blow up in such a big way.

18. Didn't Sexy Back and Maneater and stuff fared well the year before? They felt heavier than the Fame singles to me. Even Gimme More and the wonderfully deranged Piece Of Me very charting within the Top 10/20 although I don't know much about radio play. Again not downplaying what Gaga did. She did a lot. But it also felt she was at the right place at the right time after people opened up minds a bit to dance-pop already.

Stopremix, Mr Blonde, jvckkk and 2 others like this.
  19. I think it’s important not to cast her as some lone pioneer because that’s not appreciating the landscape she walked into and the work other artists were already doing. But it is fair to say she was a part of breaking the door back open for four on the floor music on pop radio - as even Calvin admitted himself. Her ascent to superstardom paired with the revival of maximalist dance pop go hand in hand as a stars aligning moment. She was in the right place at the right time and didn’t miss her chance.

20. Gaga definitely set the tone for the dark, edgy pop sound that people like Natalia Kills and Adam Lambert were doing at the time.

michaelhird likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.