Lady Gaga - Enigma / Jazz & Piano (Las Vegas Residency)

It does, considering nearly 1 million people surely have also stayed in hotels, eaten in restaurants and surely spent money in other forms of entertainment. Over the years several publications have done articles on how big Piece of Me’s impact was.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmc...-and-its-leaving-behind-an-incredible-legacy/

I’m sure Gaga and her team have surely taken Britney’s and other acts’ residencies into account when considering her own.

I actually read this article before posting and there are no direct metrics to anything of the sort. This writer is making an assumption.

The only thing music and touring insiders bring up constantly for why resorts are willing to shell top dollar to get headlining acts is the fact that staying in one place minimizes the personal wear-and-tear of touring. Something both Britney and Gaga needed/need desperately at this point in their careers.

Last edited:
Sis, you're talking to me about using anecdotes and assumptions and then you come with 'Gaga will likely see more success' (with horrifically improper comma use, may I add) which had literally nothing to do with the discussion... but okay... let's just leave here there I guess.

Two things. I don't care, about my comma usage, but, work, for getting riled up about this for some reason.

The reason I brought up the "likely" success of Gaga is that Britney Spears is world-renowned for miming her performances - which is fine. You cannot tell me that knowing Gaga is a proven live performer will not factor in to people paying a higher ticket price for her shows - on both sides of the age spectrum.

Last edited:
Two things. I don't care, about my comma usage, but, work, for getting riled up about this for some reason.

The reason I brought up the "likely" success of Gaga is that Britney Spears world renowned for miming her performances - which is fine. You cannot tell me that knowing Gaga is a proven live performer will not factor in to people paying a higher ticket price for her shows - both on both sides of the age spectrum.

....but what does that have to do with literally anything? We were discussing bringing in young audiences, not ticket prices? Also, I'd argue that Gaga likely has a slightly older audience base right now than Britney; Gaga has transitioned into a very viable HAC act, which Britney hasn't - and likely never will - been able to do. I think casual older fans (40+) would jump at a ticket for Gaga over Britney, for sure. And that's not a bad thing.

....but what does that have to do with literally anything? We were discussing bringing in young audiences, not ticket prices?

To me, they go hand and hand. Most young people who visit Vegas aren't going to simply to catch a show. Devout fans of musicians travel to Vegas to go to a show, and then plan their excursions around it. I think casuals going to Vegas will be more hip to paying higher prices for a live act like Gaga, as opposed to a live act like Britney - therefore bringing in younger eyes and dollars into her show.

Time will tell though. All these fans are aging - so this argument will be a moot point in a year or two anyway.

I actually read this article before posting and there are no direct metrics to anything of the sort. This writer is making an assumption.

The only thing music and touring insiders bring up constantly for why resorts are willing to shell top dollar to get headlining acts is the fact that staying in one place minimizes the personal wear-and-tear of touring. Something both Britney and Gaga needed/need desperately at this point in their careers.

It’s not really an assumption when you consider that people don’t fly in directly to the concert and fly out without eating or sleeping. Obviously you won’t find the metrics you want because that would be extremely hard and expensive research to conduct. Not to mention, Planet Hollywood had been facing financial problems since 2009, and Britney surely helped them just a little bit by making them 130+ million dollars in tickets and countless more in hotel bookings.

Is it really that hard to accept that Britney’s successful show inspired other current artists to consider residencies as a viable option? No one’s saying that she’s suddenly attracting heaps of 18 year olds to Vegas but it’s foolish not to see how she shed a light on this lifestyle for younger pop acts.

But the fact that Jennifer Lopez, Bruno Mars, Mariah Carey and now Gaga are now residents just a few years after her is no coincidence either. And there have been reports of behemoths like Beyoncé and Adele considering theirs. I don’t know why people are always trying to take away Britney’s accomplishments from her, regardless of how they feel about her.

It’s not really an assumption when you consider that people don’t fly in directly to the concert and fly out without eating or sleeping. Obviously you won’t find the metrics you want because that would be extremely hard and expensive research to conduct. Not to mention, Planet Hollywood had been facing financial problems since 2009, and Britney surely helped them just a little bit by making them 130+ million dollars in tickets and countless more in hotel bookings.

Is it really that hard to accept that Britney’s successful show inspired other current artists to consider residencies as a viable option? No one’s saying that she’s suddenly attracting heaps of 18 year olds to Vegas but it’s foolish not to see how she shed a light on this lifestyle for younger pop acts.

But the fact that Jennifer Lopez, Bruno Mars, Mariah Carey and now Gaga are now residents just a few years after her is no coincidence either. And there have been reports of behemoths like Beyoncé and Adele considering theirs. I don’t know why people are always trying to take away Britney’s accomplishments from her, regardless of how they feel about her.

All I'm saying is that hyperbolic statements about her residency being some sort of a revolutionizing thing in Las Vegas are somewhat misguided. I never doubted that her stint wasn't successful, it was a remarkable business move for Spears. At the same time though, I don't believe the hype that her moving into the legacy game was some sort of floodgate for Lopez, Carey and others to follow suit. Celine did it first, made a boat load of money, raised a family and changed the entertainment game in Vegas. Next, the DJ's expanded the reach of the resort entertainment to attract a younger crowd to their venues. These two things merged to create the archetype for Lopez/Spears shows, while Mariah is very much in line with Celine's typical show. These performers have families, and likely appreciate the easier performance schedule and lack of touring woes. Lopez, because she's still on a TV show, probably hustles a bit harder than the other two.

Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez simply aged into the next bracket of artists who can attract top dollar ticket prices and sell out a venue on name value. The investment of Planet Hollywood was smart - and very similar to what Caesar's did with Celine in 2002. To be frank, I find it hard to believe that Britney is a "current" act. She's trend chasing with new material, sure. But she's in "legacy" territory - she just happens to be the first one of her crop to fit that moniker and Planet Hollywood took advantage.

I honestly think this is the best situation for Gaga. Her health should be priority number one, and I hope she benefits from this. I'm perched to see what she does.

The Monster Ball in theatre format looked incredible - so with a big time budget, I'm anticipating something wild.

Why y'all acting like she's an invalid who can't travel when she has managed her chronic pain to a point where she's toured three times since being diagnosed and only hit a snag because performing in the rain for two hours solid most likely gave her something else on top of what she already deals with? I don't doubt being in one place will be good for her, but this isn't happening because touring internationally is neither viable or in-demand. Quite, frustratingly, the opposite.

And yes, I'm fully aware she's not contracted to Vegas-only shows, but they'll still have to be an annoying, intermittent consideration for the next two years. Perfect for dipping in and out of American Horror Story: Bathhouse and American Horror Story: DMV I guess.

To be frank, I find it hard to believe that Britney is a "current" act. She's trend chasing with new material, sure. But she's in "legacy" territory - she just happens to be the first one of her crop to fit that moniker and Planet Hollywood took advantage.

Except, as already pointed out, when she started Piece of Me in 2013 she was coming off of a #1 album with 3 top 10 singles in the US (including the two biggest radio hits of her entire career), followed by Scream & Shout going #1 around the globe. Even Work Bitch, which literally launched alongside the residency, hit #12 - not a smash, not yet a flop. Now, in 2017, she's much more of a legacy act, sure (though even Glory sold more than many contemporary pop girl albums and Make Me hit #17 despite the music video disaster).

I think Gaga, despite still being seen as 'current' and arguably at her peak creatively, is already seen as a legacy act, too: her back catalogue of hits is enough to get asses in seats regardless if they know her new material or not.

Why y'all acting like she's an invalid who can't travel when she has managed her chronic pain to a point where she's toured three times since being diagnosed and only hit a snag because performing in the rain for two hours solid most likely gave her something else on top of what she already deals with? I don't doubt being in one place will be good for her, but this isn't happening because touring internationally is neither viable or in-demand. Quite, frustratingly, the opposite.

And yes, I'm fully aware she's not contracted to Vegas-only shows, but they'll still have to be an annoying, intermittent consideration for the next two years. Perfect for dipping in and out of American Horror Story: Bathhouse and American Horror Story: DMV I guess.

I was a tad shook from the documentary. In my tiny and naive brain, I think I'm equating all of her health snags to her sobbing on a couch.

Isn't she expected to keep touring though? I thought her Vegas setup sounded more in line with what Bruno Mars is doing, where she'll basically be in Vegas for 6 weeks a year and then she's free to keep doing shows elsewhere.

Also I am perched for the murder / orgy scene with Finn Wittrock, Gabourey Sidibe, Gaga, Queen Latifah, and Billy Eichner in DMV.

he/him
Yeah, her contract is supposed to be similar to Bruno’s, who also signed a 2 year deal with the same venue. I think everyone at that venue has a similar deal, since all reports about it talk about how it’s not your standard residency set up.

My assumption is that the reason they decided not to move forward with extending the JWT is so Gaga is able to tour internationally during her run in 2019.

he/him

Beyoncé was doing Las Vegas residencies in 2009, sis.

he/him
Does Gaga have a musical director or is she hew own? Aren't they the ones in charge of freshening up old material/creating a cohesive soundscape for the entire show?

(On that note, let me also share my appreciation for the pulsing electro updates Stuart gave Madonna's old hits during the Confessions era).

Gaga’s musical director is Michael Bearden, who used to work for Michael Jackson.

he/him
It’s not going to be possible to work a new album in when ASIB is coming in October and the show will start in December. The soundtrack will be it for at least 9 months.