Lady Gaga - General Discussion | Page 3646 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by cherryboomboom, Dec 22, 2009.

1. It’s really lovely!! Very Communion-era Years & Years in sound; the final minute is really lovely. Olly’s vocals aren’t anywhere near as elastic (or grating) as they’ve risked being lately, and his ad libs are sweet enough to lift the effort despite losing the sax solo.

2. I love the production but I don't love how Olly sounds on it, his vocal is giving me Glee cover for some reason? Like I think he could have done a little more, done this a half step higher or something. I'm sure I'll warm up to it though, I'm being picky!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    chromatica likes this.
  3. They all give Glee just a bit. But that’s mainly because Gaga’s vocals on the originals are so massive with production that is equally towering that anything less is going to feel meek in comparison. Big Freedia’s is the only one that truly matches the ridiculousness and grandeur because she’s fully living the fantasy.

4. And the Glee cover of “The Edge of Glory” with Naya Rivera featured is actually great. This is nice, too.

Mvnl, Mikey1701 and lushLuck like this.
  5. I'm gonna still give this cover a chance but...the twink is on thin ice for this

6. Gaga’s vocals on all the songs have such an energy behind them that are truly hard to match. Everyone else that tries fails in comparison as it’s hard to follow her. Their vocals all sound safe/stale compared to the rush Gaga brings.

I do think these songs sound lovely though. I wouldn’t call any of them Glee level though… we can save that for Ben Platt’s song.

7. As mentioned, like the Kylie cover, it’s very Glee-adjacent, but I’m not mad at it. The glistening plinky-plonks are a lovely touch.

heavymetalGAGA and chromatica like this.
  8. I don’t think anything is bad, but the thing with Gaga is that everything she does is done so like it’s the last thing she’ll ever do, especially on Born This Way. I can hear her wailing into the night and see her swinging on the fire escape when I listen to “The Edge of Glory” or her being engulfed in flames on “Marry the Night”. There’s an urgency and a lot of heart that just can’t be replicated. But I appreciate the effort in taking on a Gaga song regardless.

9. I like it! I think it’s nice enough considering miss Olly is only trying to recreate one of the greatest songs of all time. Whoever got it was never going to top the original.

10. So I guess that rumor was true. Ben Platt on Yoü and I and The Highwomen on Highway Unicorn. Well, the latter will be interesting.

mindtrappa likes this.
  11. The galaxy brain play of essentially bolting The Edge of Glory onto the production of Dancing On My Own... doesn't hold a candle to the original(s) obvi but whew this is gay. I'm bopping wistfully.

12. Very true, I think Big Freedia really going for it like that kind of set a subconscious expectation for me so the past couple have sounded pretty tame in comparison. Also, the fact that the past two songs are a little more vocal heavy, and the artists they got for them aren't that kind of vocalist. I'm sure I'll warm up to this one though.

That said, if The Highwomen rumor is true, I'm sure they'll smash it in that department.

13. I am definitely most excited by the idea of Brandi Carlile's voice on Highway Unicorn.

14. The production is cute but Olly is playing it way too safe on the chorus. All these covers have so far proven to me that Gaga brings a ferocity, immediacy, and passion to her vocal performance that is unmatched by most other artists. She truly elevates the songs and production and is a big reason why the songs are so good. In the hands (or rather vocals) of others the result is quite underwhelming.

15. RJF

RJF

Because when I hear the vocal on the original "The Edge Of Glory", I immediately think of Olly Alexander.

Mr.Arroz, joe_alouder, LPT and 15 others like this.
  16. SMG

SMG

The Edge of Glory really is her best song, phew.

Tracy Jacks and Conan like this.
  17. I love it. I like the production on this one.

18. The Edge of Glory still makes my pussy tremble.

19. The Edge Of Glory remains triumphant. Her greatest song, in my opinion. Fucking flawless.

20. This is so, so basic and uninspired. It completely highlights what an incredible vocalist Gaga is.

POPGASM likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.