Lady Gaga - Joanne | Page 2796 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga - Joanne

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Vasilios, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RMK

RMK

I gotta say, in the end I think 'Joanne' is my least favorite album by Gaga. I haven't listened to the second half of the album (and A-Yo) since 2016. Not because it's utterly terrible, it's just not my type of music. I respect it, and think it's an awesome time to look back on. Gaga made an album completely different from what anyone wanted her to, and it was still successful.

2. RJF

RJF

I listened to this while lying in the park in the sunshine today.

wig

Kuhleezi, LTG, Mr.Arroz and 19 others like this.
  3. I loved A-YO until someone said it sounds like Meghan Trainor. Which it does.

RMK likes this.
  4. Does it? I have only listened to that Bass song and the one that was used on Drag Race and I don't hear the similarity.

davidbesan likes this.
  5. I think Joanne sits comfortably as my second-favourite Gaga album. I doubt she'll ever top Born This Way for me (if only because it came at exactly the time I needed it in my life and all that), but this is just such a solid collection of well-crafted, emotive, mature pop and I love it a little bit more every time I listen to it, even if that's not all too often.

6. Eurovision interval act?

7. I bought a Physical copy of Joanne for my boyfriend to make up the money to get free delivery on my Hurts CDs, showing my support for mother monster haha

8. I totally forgot I have tickets to see her in August, yas.

Sam and KYLE like this.
  9. Pressed this aesthetic wasn't incorporated into the Joanne era...

10. There's still time. There's a tour. Fix it @LadyGaga.

neinzedd and Digital_Fossil like this.
  11. She really should have just made this the video for "Million Reasons"

12. Yes! I completely forgot about these... the promo for the whole BudLight tour was phenomenal.

13. The hand gestures are just tew much

Sam likes this.
  14. Million Reasons remains sublime.

15. Watch the SNL performance again, love. That at least helped me wash the Meghan Trainor/Hairspray musical associations away.

16. That footage looks so good.

17. Simple yet effective. Love the colour palette used as well.

18. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

The Dive Bar tour was so much fun.

19. That really is how you do a low key video but make it feel cinematic, the Dive Bar promos really are *the* aesthetic for the Joanne era. Another visual notch on her belt.

Performing Million Reasons raw like that in that bar somewhere in middle America almost feels as if it could have been a movie clip, and it gets me excited for seeing her scalp me in a similar way on the big screen.

Kuhleezi, Lander, Glitterizer and 8 others like this.
  20. Joanne will always have such a special place in her discography for me. It's so different from the other four, but it's still so her. There's just, a richness, is perhaps the only word I can use, for tracks like Sinner's Prayer and Hey Girl that isn't as obvious in her past work, just like the bombastic dance stuff that we know and love isn't a part of Joanne. I think it's one of her most confident efforts, in that the songs are exactly what they are, with no airs or graces. She didn't add any dance breaks, or try to speed them up and make them more electronic, or litter it with big pop hooks. It stands quite alone from her past work, without feeling like a completely different artist has made it. Her experimentation and versatility is perhaps one of the qualities I most admire about her.

I feel time, and wider context of the scope of her career, in say 10 or 20 years, will place this much in greater favor (much like I think ARTPOP will) with fans and critics alike, much like Erotica has for Madonna. I don't think she'll ever make an album quite like Joanne again, but the fact she did at all, is exciting to ponder about what could be in the future. If you'd told me nearly ten years ago, when I discovered her with Just Dance, that she'd eventually make a very raw, americana type album, I'd have probably scoffed, but here we are and I couldn't be more thankful that she did.

Kuhleezi, qetaz, TiffanyNoir and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.