Lady Gaga - Joanne

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it hasn't been send it radio and they have no plans to do it? Is that's what you mean? Well at least I guess it brings some sort of closure to the era. So thoughtful of Gaga for hammering Millions Reasons for almost a year (along with The Cure at least).

The crowd starting to cheer as soon as she started singing Million Reasons though. People really love this song.

It got my sister (who I use as barometer of young GP-with-taste) fully into Joanne when it came out, and subsequently, Gaga herself again. She bopped a bit to DWUW and always appreciated her talent but actually hasn't checked for her since Edge of Glory I'd imagine.

It's funny how the GP have been really hear for her - not in a SUPER HIT SINGLE kind of the way, but actually far more genuine. The only people crying flop have been disgruntled 'fans' who start to foam at the mouth unless a 2009 synth is present.

It's been a fantastic era that had what felt like 2 singles and a bonus hit thrown in. It's been weirdly...stress-free.

I was only just able to track down the full performance, but I thought it was lovely!

One of the things I love most about Million Reasons (not my favorite of her ballads, but the reaction it got from the Grammys crowd seems to be testament to its impact) is the life it's taken on beyond the record. The harmony she sings over the original melody in the bridge, the ad-lib she often hits in the second verse on "givin' me a milli-uh-uhn," the way she's delivered the final chorus/outro since the Victoria's Secret show are each little details that make the song feel lived-in and organic. And same to the new rendition of Joanne this week.

That's maybe my one remaining gripe with Joanne as a record. The songwriting has so much life but the studio recordings were done when the songs weren't worn-in yet, and this record stands the most to gain in her entire discography from that. If songs like MANiCURE and Wanna Be With You/Dope could be fleshed out in personality after she performed them at iTunes Festival, I keep fantasizing about how Joanne the album would sound if it all had the benefit of being pounded out on the Dive Bar Tour (for example) before she recorded it.

Just fun to imagine. I think the Joanne (Piano Version) is totally enough of a taste of that to be satisfied.

Last edited:
I will say that I groan internally whenever artists or producers or writers go, "It was done in one take!!!" as if I'm supposed to be impressed at the fact they spent four measly minutes thinking about a song's component. I feel like a lot of the album was maybe done on the fly that way in order to make it feel natural, but it's frustrating when we've actually seen her perfect the likes of "Million Reasons" and "Joanne" through gradually improving live performances, and I can't help but think... well, maybe this process could have been done in the studio so you weren't serving 7/10 songs and performing them as 10/10 songs six months later.

This is all speculation on my part. For all I know "Million Reasons" was agonised over for months, but I think her own process over the many performances she's given of it show that she was still figuring out the best way to present it earlier in the campaign and took a good few tries before perfecting it. I apply this to "Joanne" as well, despite the studio version being beautiful.

I don't think the album was rushed in any way. I'm sure a lot of care was taken, but I can just imagine both Mark and Googs hyping one another up that, yes, the perfect vocal take is this one shot at it we've taken after a night of homemade casserole, wine and cigars at 4AM. What a special moment.

This gives me anxiety, but she looks absolutely stunning. The performance was great, too. My favourite performance is still the Royal Variety Show, but each one has been different, which keeps it interesting.

he/him
This is all speculation on my part. For all I know "Million Reasons" was agonised over for months, but I think her own process over the many performances she's given of it show that she was still figuring out the best way to present it earlier in the campaign and took a good few tries before perfecting it. I apply this to "Joanne" as well, despite the studio version being beautiful.

Mark kind of suggested to Gaga that she do as little takes as possible because she has a tendency to pick songs apart for months, and even after she approaches what will become the final version of a track, she’ll still be unhappy with it. I think “Joanne” is the only track that had a single take, but everything else was still pretty minimal compared to how she usually records.

Mark kind of suggested to Gaga that she do as little takes as possible because she has a tendency to pick songs apart for months, and even after she approaches what will become the final version of a track, she’ll still be unhappy with it. I think “Joanne” is the only track that had a single take, but everything else was still pretty minimal compared to how she usually records.
So should we request Mark around for LG6?
Or should we be afraid that his presence is missing

He’s not involved
Oh, I know. I’m basically poking fun at the situation because you said she likes to pick her music apart while creating it. & since Mark isn’t going to be around for LG6 I question how the music will turn out, seeing as how with ARTPOP she changed a lot of the tracks up

Gorgeous pics
5154.jpg

4970.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.