Lady Gaga - The Chromatica Ball (2022 Tour) | Page 25 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga - The Chromatica Ball (2022 Tour)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by aux, Mar 9, 2020.

1. My show's in August and my country's been super slow to vaccinate, even if things drastically improve I just don't think I'll feel comfortable in a crowd of 50k. I'd be very surprised if she doesn't cancel the tour as she'll have to go from filming Gucci to promoting Cheek to Cheek: The Re-Up to non stop gruelling rehearsals in the span of 4 months

Mr Blonde likes this.
  2. I feel like with it only being a 6 show run the one-off cost budget would be low anyway (probably using existing rented staging elements rather than anything custom, not as much budget for projection/interlude video shoots etc), so cutting it to even less shows would impact that further. I think the only financially viable way of doing fewer dates would be her essentially reusing a lot of Enigma material on a basic (by her standards) stage, which is kind of the antithesis of what a Gaga show should be.

HolyWater likes this.
  3. Given the likely huge increase in insurance costs as well, even making the existing shows financially viable could be difficult.

I don't want to be the voice of doom because I'm as hungry for the return of live music as anyone, but with so much variation in terms of case levels, restrictions and efficiency of vaccine rollouts around the world, there are likely going to be question marks over if and where artists can tour for a while yet.

lushLuck and HolyWater like this.
  4. Live Nation know it's not going ahead, but multimillion euros ticket money in the bank gaining interest is too good to not pretend otherwise for couple more months.

5. Fond memories of getting the Jill Scott cancellation email on what should have been the day of her first show. When it had been blindingly obvious for, oh, four months that it couldn't go ahead.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  6. And all this easy $$ when they've let go everyone bar the higher ups with the huge salaries.

Laurence, lushLuck and bestinase like this.
  7. Gaga and budget cuts just don't go together. She's LiveNation and Interscopes cash cow when it comes to touring so they always give her a decent budget because they see a big return from her. Even if they did decide to cut her budget for some weird reason, she gave us The Monster Ball 1.0 while completely broke and no financial backing from a touring giant like LiveNation so I have faith in her.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  8. Personally, I'm not that optimistic, but the Oreo contest prize details showed that there were more US dates than initially announced (which we kind of knew already), so they could probably still pull it off if they had to cut any. It would likely be cheaper if they stayed in one country for the time being and postponed the shows overseas.

9. What was the strategy behind only releasing the six dates we currently know about when it was clear there was more? I don't get the thought process behind it. Were the rest to be announced at a later date?

10. Yes, but the tour was announced, like... days before things were shut down, which is probably why they held off on announcing the rest.

11. The less dates they announced, the less dates that they'd have to later cancel.

Blue6010, neinzedd and JXCK94 like this.
  12. Maybe I didn't make it clear in my original post but what I meant was, what made them announce some of the US dates + the Europe dates but not the Asia/Oceania dates? Like surely if everything being shut down was the reason they would have just not announced any until maybe this point?

13. I have no idea. There were only 15 dates that I'm aware of (so still pretty small) with the possibility of more if those sold well.

14. I don't see why you would cancel the tour if 5 out of 6 of the dates could go ahead. In terms of coming to London, Jay Z and Beyonce did just the one location in Paris for their first OTR Tour, so I don't see how the travelling aspect is any different if international travel is permitted by July. But I'm also way too optimistic about these things.
    I reckon it's a case that they just don't know yet.

15. Jay-Z and Beyonce were not touring (both in separate solo tours) prior to the two Paris dates though. So both had teams ready, dancers, musicians, the lot. And they were offered an HBO deal to shoot there.

16. Didn't know about the HBO deal, which makes sense why they could afford to do it, but they had just done a whole run of shows together in the States. Granted, it's about 20 more shows than Gaga is planning to currently do which also factors into the finance side of things, so I don't know.

17. Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  18. Not sure about anyone else, but this link doesn't seem to work for me. What does it say?

19. This hasn’t been cancelled yet? I’m surprised!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.