Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - Cheek to Cheek / Love for Sale | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - Cheek to Cheek / Love for Sale

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Retsaf, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Retsaf

Retsaf Guest

Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett are recording a jazz album of duets, due for release this autumn/fall. I'm cautiously excited for this. I know that I'm probably the only one but I think that it's exciting that Gaga is doing something different and it could potentially do wonders for her image in the eyes of the general public.

Anyone else excited for Cheek To Cheek?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
  2. Re: Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - Cheek To Cheek

Cheek To Cheek? That just about dashes any hopes of this being an original jazz album and not yet another insufferable standards cover album where "Tony sings the classics some more!" featuring an off-the-rails Lady Gaga. By that I mean I thought their previous duet was just awful, Bennett's fake laughing included.

But color me a bit curious if they go about it seriously.

3. Re: Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - Cheek To Cheek

I think it's going to be the final nail in the coffin if they give it a big time release. Gaga's decision making remains mind boggling.

4. K94

K94

Re: Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - Cheek To Cheek

Give me those meltdowns I love!

5. Re: Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - Cheek To Cheek

Oh god why.

6. Retsaf

Retsaf Guest

Get your lives to this:

[video=youtube;ZPAmDULCVrU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPAmDULCVrU[/video]

7. Re: Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - Cheek To Cheek

She can always be the next Bette Midler, I guess.

8. K94

K94

The Las Vegas residency is imminenT. I know she's good at this and all but she should just focus on a new record which shouldn't come out for a while and should have a bloody streamlined, foolproof campaign.

9. Re: Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - Cheek To Cheek

We all knew this was coming for a long time? Why the meltdowns now?

10. Re: Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - Cheek To Cheek

We knew it was coming but this is really bad timing career-wise.

11. Re: Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - Cheek To Cheek

The only good thing about it is Gaga's look. She could sing it a thousand times better live.

Also I doubt most of us had realized this would be a covers album. Shattered dreams about Gaga's very own I'm Breathless.

12. Re: Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - Cheek To Cheek

This will probably end up being surprisingly good, but after the trainwreck that was the Artpop campaign, I can understand why people are going to get really stressed about her spending time on this. Hopefully we'll at least get a handful of performances which reminds the public that she's an immensely talented singer, and not just a throwaway popstar in attention-seeking stage outfits.

13. Re: Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - Cheek To Cheek

I feel like the timing of this is more due to Tony's age, as bad as it sounds. I'm still not totally for this release. It just feels too damage control-y for me, and it's exactly what they did during Born This Way, but whatever.

14. Rmx

Rmx

The thing that will make or break this is her attitude. If she rants on about how she can't find any recognition in her peers, but only sees herself on the same level of ancient musicians, that's not going to go down well.

15. Re: Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - Cheek To Cheek

I thought it would be a throwaway thing for the octogenarians in the RIAA to give her a couple of Grammys but apparently it will be a proper 'era'. It's just more of Gaga's 'i'll show them' kneejerk reaction to the public apathy towards ARTPOP but I can't imagine anyone BUT Gaga thinking that her scatting for ten minutes over Orange Colored Sky while draped over Tony Bennet in a flowy gown will be met with anything but groans and stifled giggles.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  16. Re: Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - Cheek To Cheek

The final nail in the coffin

Bye Gaga

17. K94

K94

Ironically, the only thing she should be doing is nothing at all. Come back when we're all thirsty and forgetful.

18. Re: Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - Cheek To Cheek

Why is she doing this??

19. Re: Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - Cheek To Cheek

They're hardly going to be embarking on SAXRAVE: The Jazz Ball Tour and releasing twelve minute Tarantino-aping videos for their cover of 'I Left My Heart in San Francisco'. Is it really going to be an 'era' in it's own right? I'm pretty sure they'll release the album, record a video in the studio and call it a day.

20. SMG

SMG

Not here for it if it's just covers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.