Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - Cheek to Cheek / Love for Sale | Page 130 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - Cheek to Cheek / Love for Sale

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Retsaf, Jun 14, 2014.

1. WELL. Now i'm crying.

2. Just left the show.

Very different from the last tour and more a half and half show with some duets at the end. What I imagine Jazz and Piano to be like without the Gaga songs was her set.

She ran into the crowd to sing to Natalie. Her whole family (including her dad who I ran into at Joanne picking up wine) was there, Bobby, her boyfriend, Aquaria…

He seemed to really enjoy himself but it was kind of sad to watch.

I saw Gayle King, Jon Bon Jovi, Nancy Pelosi and Countess Luann who was actually pretty rude but I understand she was annoyed at people heckling her.

3. Chic, c'est la vie
    C'est Ton, c'est Ton

(I'm sorry)

4. Small video from the show, no sound tho.

Sarzy, PfefferSalz and SlowBurn like this.
  5. Oo she looks like she's having a GREAT time. Love that for her.

Sarzy likes this.
  6. The box set has a live cd of Cheek To Cheek and not a dvd.

7. Absolutely love Tony and Gaga together. Looking forward to seeing the recording of the show, even though I'm sure it will be quite sad to see.

HorseTears likes this.
  8. Lila

Lila Staff Member

“:(“

As a huge Tony fan entirely separate to (and predating) my love for Gaga, I’m fairly comfortable in saying that Cheek to Cheek is one of his worst records. But their relationship is so special and probably now essential to his legacy. He always managed to reinvent himself in every new decade — he did an MTV Unplugged in ‘94 and it was more popular than some of his 60s records — but as he got even older, it was obviously going to be more difficult. His constant willingness and interest in new artists is what has kept him so kind and vital until now, and his music so good, even singing what we might call the same old songs. Gaga has brought him to a totally new audience, but their relationship is so lovely because he’s always sought out young people and has so much respect for them. And they give him it in return because they can sense it!

He is so thoughtful, so honest, so active. He was at Selma. He got in trouble in 2003 for protesting the Iraq War. He’s a lifelong pacifist and an advocate for decriminalisation and drug policy reform. He’s just amazing. We’re so much better for him being with us. He wouldn’t want us to be sad, but…..

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  9. Review from Showbiz411: Tony Bennett Wows Sold Out Crowd at Radio City for 95th Birthday with Lady Gaga as His Opening Act

"In a two hour show that was absolutely historic, Lady Gaga earned her angel wings tonight celebrating Tony Bennett’s 95th birthday at Radio City. What an incredible evening. The hall was sold out, the stage was occupied by a 40 peace orchestra. Gaga performed for an hour, opening for Tony. Her set was magical, beyond compare. Then Tony took the stage and did a killer set that ended with I Left My Heart in San Francisco. The hall exploded in applause and cheers."

The fact they attracted the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, the Chief Executive Officer of Netflix, Jon Bon Jovi, and legendary Hollywood actors to attend the show tonight. Can you say legendaric?!

[​IMG]

10. I wish this was being recorded professionally, or that the setlist is similar to the MTV Unplugged and we get a long special recording of that.

12. I like ‘I Get A Kick Out Of You’. I can see myself returning to it - the Spotify video is also one of the cutest things I’ve ever seen. The way she looks at him got me a little emotional.

heavymetalGAGA likes this.
  13. I’ve said it many times, but Cheek to Cheek in studio form always felt neutered and overly serious. Obviously it’s a commercial record, but something about the approach to the songs just never really clicked with me. It’s very pleasant. They obviously sound great together, but I think it works much better live when you can actually see their relationship, the respect they have for one another, and Gaga’s excitement. It generally feels far more relaxed and raw.

GLC, nesstorcx___, HorseTears and 3 others like this.
  14. Lila

Lila Staff Member

Her phrasing on it is absolutely abhorrent and some of the song choices are really uninspired. She’s massively improved as a jazz singer since then, at least partly because she doesn’t sound out of breath all the time now. You can really hear it on They All Laughed especially.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  15. Their relationship, her respect and the implicit goodbye in that note crushed me. At least she's lucky to have had him as a mentor and inspiration all this time.

16. If I saw Nancy Pelosi at a concert... I'd be arrested

[​IMG]

17. So are we getting two filmed concerts - MTV Unplugged and the one from yesterday?

chromatica likes this.
  18. My parents and grandparents love Tony Bennett, there was a time I played Duets II a lot. A legend. Preparing my tissues for this.

Tracy Jacks, Lila and SlowBurn like this.
  19. About 10 years ago for her birthday, I took my mum to see Tony live in a relatively small venue in Dublin. It was very much for my mum who loves him, but I was blown away by him and his band. A show that I’ll never, ever forget.

20. It was! There was an announcement before the show confirming it too

Alenko, Vasilios and SlowBurn like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.