Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett - Cheek to Cheek / Love for Sale

I like ‘I Get A Kick Out Of You’. I can see myself returning to it - the Spotify video is also one of the cutest things I’ve ever seen. The way she looks at him got me a little emotional.

he/him
As a huge Tony fan entirely separate to (and predating) my love for Gaga, I’m fairly comfortable in saying that Cheek to Cheek is one of his worst records. But their relationship is so special and probably now essential to his legacy.

I’ve said it many times, but Cheek to Cheek in studio form always felt neutered and overly serious. Obviously it’s a commercial record, but something about the approach to the songs just never really clicked with me. It’s very pleasant. They obviously sound great together, but I think it works much better live when you can actually see their relationship, the respect they have for one another, and Gaga’s excitement. It generally feels far more relaxed and raw.

Lila

Staff member
I’ve said it many times, but Cheek to Cheek in studio form always felt neutered and overly serious. Obviously it’s a commercial record, but something about the approach to the songs just never really clicked with me. It’s very pleasant. They obviously sound great together, but I think it works much better live when you can actually see their relationship, the respect they have for one another, and Gaga’s excitement. It generally feels far more relaxed and raw.

Her phrasing on it is absolutely abhorrent and some of the song choices are really uninspired. She’s massively improved as a jazz singer since then, at least partly because she doesn’t sound out of breath all the time now. You can really hear it on They All Laughed especially.

Last edited:
Their relationship, her respect and the implicit goodbye in that note crushed me. At least she's lucky to have had him as a mentor and inspiration all this time.

He/Him/His
If I saw Nancy Pelosi at a concert... I'd be arrested

azealiaface.gif