Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (#16 - The ultimate earworm) | Page 47 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (#16 - The ultimate earworm)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

17 vote(s)
    41.5%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. I can't go look at the top 30 and go all eliminations off... Or did I?

Love Sick Girl, Glitter & Grease, Vanity, Animal and Stache can go.

2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)
    [12/22]

Vanity
    Dirty Ice Cream
    Fever
    Retro-Physical
    Glitter and Grease
    Let Love Down
    Rockshow
    Love Sick Girl/Yay Ha
    Trigger
    Wonderful

2007/2008 - The Fame sessions
    [7/10]

Fashion
    Fooled Me Again

2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions
    [9/10]

Nothing On (But the Radio)
    Animal
    Out of Control
    Second Time Around
    Earthquake
    Reloaded
    No Way

2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions
    [2/4]

Brooklyn Nights
    Stache (with Zedd)

Maki, Untouchable Ace and berserkboi like this.
  2. It's time to find out which is the final song we're losing before the top 20.

One of you has called for it...

....and I'm not happy about that at all.

Face down in a pillow, she cries...

...her black mascara runs in circles from her-er eyes...

[​IMG]

Love Sick Girl / Yay Ha

Average score: 7.363

Highest score:
    10 x 2 (@Markus1981, @Maki)
    Lowest score: 3 x 1 (@Laurence)
    My score: 10

High peak: #17 (5 voters)
    Low peak: #29 (9 voters, 10 voters)

This elimination reveals that the Pre-Fame section is about to get a cull. Will it be as big as the one with "The Fame" sessions?
    Anyways, "Love Sick Girl" / "Yay Ha" managed to reach the top 10 of that section, but just missed out on the top 20 (by 0.5 point!) Despite having a fairly consistent scores all around (and a lot of 8's and 9's), it dropped down to #29 at a certain point, and then managed to creep up to the top 20 around the half-voters mark and then just floated around that spot, before dropping down below it again.
    Also, it's my second 10 in this rate to get eliminated. Could've been worse, I guess.

Besides "When She Go"/"Go, Go, Go", "Love Sick Girl" and "Yay Ha" are the only other set of different songs that I paired, since one of them is a demo of another. In this case, "Yay Ha" is the demo/early version of "Love Sick Girl", and was obviously recorded before it, containing the same verses and middle-8, but a completely different chorus and an additional outro/twist on the final chorus.

But both versions/songs have their own little background story.
    "Yay Ha" started out as the typical Team Love Child sessions song - Gaga and Rob Fusari wrote and recorded it somewhere in 2006. The hook of "So Happy I Could Die" uses a different yay-ha hook, which is an interesting thing to point out.
    On the other hand, "Love Sick Girl" became a re-worked version of "Yay Ha" in 2007, and Gaga's former bassist Tom Kafafian is credited as an additional writer on this version of the song (he also worked on "Disco Heaven" , "Vanity" and "Wonderful"), along with Gaga and Fusari. "Love Sick Girl" was released on Gaga's MySpace back in 2007 for a short period of time, hence the song's title being known to her fans since early days. However, both versions of the song surfaced online in HQ around March 2018, making them one of the latest Lady Gaga leaks.

As for my thoughts, I absolutely adore both "Love Sick Girl" and "Yay Ha" and would put them among my personal top 10 of Gaga's unreleased songs. I don't know why, but I overlooked them before this rate, thinking they're fine in the beginning, and then just kept growing on me until both versions became a 10/10. They're so freaking good. The heavy and clap-infused production mixed with sad lyrics/melody is an extremely effective combo.

"Yay Ha", the original version of the song, is rock-tinged, a bit more aggressive and has that early 00's pop rock sound that she basically started with her band. The production is so well-done and really evokes the emo-ish and moody nature of the song. Another thing I noticed is that it really sounds like a No Doubt song circa "Return of Saturn" era, which is astonishing. The chorus is a bit repetitive and pales in comparison to the one on "Love Sick Girl", but is still addictive and fun. Oh, and that outro with the interpolations of the chorus, along with clashing thunders of guitars and piano - brilliant!

Unlike the rockier "Yay Ha", "Love Sick Girl" leans on the use of synths and praising them with a guitar riff. And the result is absolute perfection. Mostly because of the incredible synths. Really, those melodic synths really make the song for me, as well as the other fantastic production moments. The chorus has touch of relentless drama that I adore and it's just amazing.
    There's something dark, almost gothic about it, which encapsulates the moody theme of the lyrics. And speaking of the lyrics, there are some rather odd, Gaga-esque lines worth noting: "pink feather regrets she washes away" in the verses and "her hands are tongue tied" in the outro of "Yay Ha". Like, what the hell is a 'pink feather regret'? It's like she created a new idiom that should go straight to Lady Gaga's Dictionary. The general theme of the song being a tragic love story, or even something worse, makes it even more affecting.

Comparing the two versions, I prefer "Love Sick Girl", but they kind of compliment each other in terms of what the other one is missing. For example, "Yay Ha" shines when it comes to the guitar galore and the amazing outro, but "Love Sick Girl" has a stronger chorus and the incredible synths to make up for that.
    Either way, two versions of a complete moody bop they remain and deserve nothing else but praise.

A wasted opportunity that both versions remained unreleased, but I understand that neither are representative of the sound she would become famous for and they were scrapped. Still, it's a pity they remained buried and will never be heard by a lot of people, which could've easily been prevented by.

As for the commentary, this song mainly got positive reactions, but not everyone was sold on it.

@Crisp X (9) is serving taste: "This is excellent, and another song I could’ve seen get the single treatment had she went in a different musical direction early on." It would've been a really cool single if there was a Gaga album in 2007 (as it was initially supposed to be).
    @soratami (8) yells: "Love Sick Girl regular version all the way", and @pop3blow2 (9.5) will surely agree with him: "I really dig this as ‘Love Sick Girl’. Don’t feel the ‘Yay Ha’ version as much. It kinda sucks some of the emotion out of the song from me." Both versions are heavy hitters, but everyone is allowed to chose their favourite.

But not all of you preferred "Love Sick Girl".
    For example, unimpressed @Pat (6.5) says: "The song starts promising, but then it continues being just your typical Rob Fusari-outtake. The ‘Yay Ha’ chorus is definitely more fun." However, @DominoDancing (7) will disagree with that: "Catchy chorus (on Love Sick Girl, don't particularly like Yay Ha's version). I'm also not enjoying some of the vocal "ticks" on display here." Oh, you mentioned vocal ticks/affectations? I know someone who mentions it as often as possible - @berserkboi (5.75), who "Yay Ha has slightly less vocal affectations thus gets a higher score. I am very very ecstatic she got better with her melodies!" At least you correctly said that she really started developing damn good melodies.

Known for being the voter with the most 10's awarded, @Laurence (3) is very out of ordinary with this one. He says: "Clearly one of the weaker tracks of these times. Not much to comment on here. Yay Ha is a bit boring too. Chorus too underdeveloped." One of your lowest scores in the entire rate went to this song?! Not a good look at all.

After linking "Freakshow" with American Horror Story, @Untouchable Ace (8.2) has another TV-related comparison to make: "This would have at least suited a TV soundtrack." And he's not alone - @Seventeen Days (7) brings it up, too: "This track sounds like it would be the kind of song you find buried in an obscure 80s soundtrack. That’s not to say it doesn’t deserve more - it’s just kind of throwaway." Great retro connection, but hopefully your opinion about the song has changed since.
    @DinahLee (7) brings something up that I had no idea about: "Ok Fusari was right about Oh Well being one of the greatest songs they created together, but I also have the memory of him calling this “better than Paparazzi” and I wonder bitch WHERE. Ironically, Yay Ha feels like an early (and better) concept so…" Okay, I need receipts.

And, finally, @M24's (8) sentence that may be a reason the song missed top 20: "Maybe this has the potential to grow on me. I give it an 8." I really do hope it grew on you, as well as everyone else.

I couldn't find a link for "Yay Ha" anywhere, but found this cool illustration instead:
    [​IMG]

Next up: A tragedy strikes. Someone will lose an 11, and at least three of you will lose their 10's.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    M24, pop3blow2, yeRleDanaL and 10 others like this.

3. TOP 20:

2005/2006 - Early years
    [0/6]

~

Red and Blue EP
    [0/5]

~

2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)
    [9/22]

Vanity
    Blueberry Kisses
    Retrosexual

Dirty Ice Cream
    Fever
    Retro-Physical

Spin U Around
    Glitter and Grease
    Fancy Pants
    Ribbons
    When She Go/Go, Go, Go
    Kandy Life
    Reel Cool

Let Love Down
    Rockshow

Oh Well
    Sexy Ugly
    We Are Plastic (Melt In the Summer)
    Shake Your Kitty

Love Sick Girl/Yay Ha
    Trigger
    Wonderful

~

2007/2008 - The Fame sessions
    [2/10]

Filthy Pop
    Oh Baby
    Panty Party
    New York

Shut Up
    Take You Out
    Fashion
    Your Freakin' Car
    The Greatest Thing
    Fooled Me Again

~

2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions
    [7/10]

Nothing On (But the Radio)
    Animal
    Out of Control

Freakshow
    Second Time Around
    Earthquake
    Reloaded

Superstar
    No Way
    Future Love (live)

~

2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions
    [0/3]

~

2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions
    [2/4]

Brooklyn Nights
    Posh Life
    Stache (with Zedd)
    Cake Like Lady Gaga

Before we reach the top 10, more 11's and fan-favourites will fall, including a few songs that received multiple 11's. Also, only one section will remain intact. Will it again be "ARTPOP" sessions or another one... we'll find that out.
    Are any stinkers you want out still lingering on? Any tracks that deserved to be here instead of others?
    Let me know.

M24, pop3blow2, yeRleDanaL and 6 others like this.
  4. I'm worried about my 11 after seeing someone calling for its elimination.
    Honestly, why is "Stache" still here? Also, I wouldn't mind a Pre-Fame cull.

Sprockrooster, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  5. Literally decimate the Pre-Fame section please. Below are what I want to go next.

Dirty Ice Cream
    Fever
    Glitter and Grease
    Rockshow
    Trigger
    Wonderful

Animal
    Second Time Around

Reloaded

Maki likes this.
  6. A pretty strong Top 20. Glad to see Trigger make it, this is a sound I would definitely like her to explore more, but maybe it overstays its welcome.
    Fever and Wonderful can leave too.

Maki likes this.
  7. Wait I just listened to Love Sick Girl again but... It's not that bad but I guess my score was mostly for Yay Ha. Ah well the rest is better.

Maki likes this.
  8. Here's what I hope that we lose before we reach the Top 10:

Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  9. Let Love Down, Wonderful, Second Time Around all deserve Top 10.

collxtion, VitaminBee, sesita and 3 others like this.
  10. They do, but the balladphobia that occurs in most rates has me worried that they won't.

Maki likes this.
  11. Out of the remaining songs, I agree. However, I won't say if all three made it to the top 10. We'll see if the balladphobia that @elektroxx mentioned had its impact.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the mistakes I made in the playlist when it comes to "New York" and "Love Sick Girl". Both songs had two exact same versions in the playlist, but slightly different titles/song lengths, making me assume that they are different.

I'm too busy bopping to "Love Sick Girl" again. Those vocal quirks and delivery truly are something. And I love the way she uses a portion of the verse as the middle-8, but changes the melody.

Anyways, the next elimination is coming tomorrow. You said which songs you would like to see out, but which one do you think will leave at #20?

elektroxx likes this.
  12. Let Love Down better make it to the top 15 at the very least...

Maki, Phonetics Boy and elektroxx like this.
  13. Trying to find the Fusari quote, I think it was a tweet from circa 2012 (?) or so when he freaked out and threatened to leak their old stuff. Of course I can't find it now and it sounds like I'm crazy but....

Edit: I actually think it's from around the days he revealed many unknown titles like "Cut the Cake" and so on (and leaked "Reel Cool"). I found a Thread on Gagadaily but it has 200+ pages and... let me try something nn

I'm actually happy my 11 is still in the game and as long as we keep stuff like Stache, Animal, Second Time Around and... Dirty Ice Cream out of the top10, I'll be happy.

Oh, and "Yay Ha" ended Love Sick Girl. Xoxo.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  14. [​IMG]

Don't worry - this thread hasn't died yet. Just a little update: I was catching up with other rates, and had a couple of exams in the meantime, which limited my time for dedication to this rate.

I'm so sorry for the pace of the eliminations being slower than Gaga's 2019 Met Gala entrance, but they will continue very soon. And I'm just now realizing that I could've asked some of you do a few eliminations instead.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  15. Hope you did well in your exams, @Maki!

16. I hope so, too, haha! And it has just begun... this summer is going to be rough.

17. ...
    upload_2020-7-15_0-27-33.gif
    Paws up, everyone.

18. [​IMG]

Jokes aside, @Laurence was kind enough to reach out to me and ask if he can do an elimination instead of me. Luckily, I've already started the write up for the next song, which should be up tomorrow.
    I'll greatly appreciate anyone's help if any further delays happen.

So, which song do you think is leaving? Here's a reminder:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020

19. Well I'll wait and if it's not my 11 getting chopped as #19, I'd love to help.

Otherwise? CHOKE.
    Just kidding love, I'd love to help for real xx

20. Well, your 11 might fall at #20, because we have to eliminate that one first, before moving on to #19.
    Thanks for your offer, though - I'll keep it in mind.

Anyways, I'm finally posting the elimination tonight. You better be ready for it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.