Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (#17 - Balladophobia) | Page 48 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (#17 - Balladophobia)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. My offer still stands and I hope you stopped doing drafts in replies here cuz they are cleared after 24hours right?

2. Google Docs Google Docs Google Docs!!!

Thanks for coming to my unpaid endorsement post!

3. Yes, I'm learning from my past mistakes!

Anyways, the next cut...

...will be up in about 15 minutes.

[​IMG]

4. It's coming! You'll see why it took so long...

5. Finally, the next elimination is here.

As I've said, it's someone's 11.

What could it be?

Let's find out...

In the white room, with the yellow chair...

[​IMG]

Trigger

Average score: 7.378

Highest scores: 11 x 1
    (@Maki), 10 x 4 (@Untouchable Ace, @Crisp X, @Laurence, @berserkboi)
    Lowest score: 2 x 1 (@AshtrayHeart)
    My score: 11

High peak: #12 (12 voters)
    Low peak: #23 (23 voters)
    This coincidence, though

Bang bang. My 11 hits the ground.

It had to happen eventually. My precious 11 reaches the top 20, but falls on the first step. It could've been worse, I guess. It was constantly floating around the #20 spot on the leaderboard, even going strong into the top 15 at one point, until finally settling at the brink of the top 20. Also, it wasn't as divisive as I thought it would be. Apart from that ugly 2, it received a couple of 5's and everything else is in the 6+ region, so it did pretty well score-wise.

"Trigger" was written in either 2006 or 2007 by Lady Gaga and Rob Fusari. There isn't any other info about it, except that it was first registered onto Gaga's BMI repertoire in 2007, then removed in 2008, but added back again in August 2012 (thanks, Lady Gaga fandom site!). I assume this was a one-off recording when Fusari and Gaga decided to try out different genres, and it reasonably wasn't released for sounding so vastly different to anything during this era. The song surfaced online in March of 2018, making it one of the last few unreleased songs by Gaga to become available.

Anyways, what a song. They really did that back in 2006/2007? Incredible. I don't even know where to start when praising this song.
    First of all, the sound. How they came up with that? It must be a result of an experimentation she and Rob did, and it really is an outlier among their other songs. The pitch black atmosphere it creates is apparent. The dark side of Gaga did indeed exist quite some time before the release of "The Fame Monster" and "Born This Way". The way it keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout and having a build-up that never really reaches its peak is so cleverly done. And those Tarantino-esque vibes are almost always a hit for me. It really reminds me a lot of the 60's (the intro being very reminiscent of a classic that is "Bang Bang" definitely helps that) with a twist. Damn. That production with door slams going from one side to another, as well as those frantic beats kicking in, which oddly remind me of the ones on Rihanna's "G4L". And the slick guitar notes adding the finishing touch. A way to do a minimalistic, dark, moody and genre-bending tune.

Her autotuned vocals give it an even stronger edge. And the melody at its core is gorgeous - there's something depressingly sad about it and I adore how delicate her voice is during the chorus. Her vocal delivery is beautiful in general on this track. Such an abstract piece of music, especially for her at the time. I'm very intrigued to find out the background of this song and its meaning.

The lyrics just complete the mysterious and eerie vibe of the song.
    There have been assumptions that it could refer to abortion, murder, and even rape. If you pair up the sound with this typo of lyricism, it really makes you think what it is about:
    They never really knew it then
    How to do it when
    Ring, ring ring-a-ding

"They never really knew it then"
    line was interpreted as an uncertainty of abortion during the first half of the 20th century. Makes sense. Though what does that ringing have to do with it?

The verses depict a seemingly detailed yet vague description of a situation in a room. For example, the first verse is:

In the white room, with the yellow chair
    Was her baby, with his angry stare
    In the white room, through their violet eyes
    She's just a baby taken by surprise

What is the symbolism behind a white room/yellow chair? Who is "a baby"?
    I have questions. The middle-8 manages to broaden the mystic vibe:

Ring, ring, ring
    She goes
    The telephone, the telephone

Why a telephone? Could she really be referring to her non-existent and upcoming hit...her mind.

And the song ends with the line: "the safety of the trigger", finally harking back to the song title. Again, it can have many interpretations and I'm just here scratching my head, wondering how this masterpiece came together in the first place. Graphic yet subtle. Quiet yet unnerving. Hushed yet powerful. To put it in one word: art.

I would literally die if she re-recorded "Trigger" or even did something similar to it in the future. Imagine how incredible that would sound.

What ultimately made me give it my highest score - I don't exactly know myself. While there were a few contenders for that score and there isn't "technically" my favorite unreleased Gaga song, I really felt obliged to award it with the 11, not just because it's an amazing song. The uniqueness surely had an effect on that. Though it's very likely that I'm just so impressed by how surprising the song is. I'm still in awe that they were flirting with this sound during those days. Just... amazing.

Even though it would've ideally been in the top 10 (the only place where it belongs, actually), I love that some of you made a discovery and it didn't flop/performed worse.

Let's see what you lot thought about the best song in this rate.

Firstly, let's get rid of the only negative comment here. @Pat (5) says: "This is just awful. It tries to be interesting, but feels like a task to listen to." You don't get art and it shows.

Luckily, most of you loved it.
    For example, @Crisp X (10), who makes a comparison that didn't strike me upon first few listens: "Lady Gaga goes full dark 90’s alt rock/trip-hop? More of this one day please." and, similarly, @Untouchable Ace (10) says: "Minimal, and haunting, very 90's." That isn't a decade I was referring to. It justifies the multigenre virtuosity.
    The commentary master @berserkboi (10) just gets it right, as I hoped: "This is the most interesting sonic standout of this era! Though I wish the vocals were mixed better into this hypnotic instrumental (a bit David Lynch) – it is stunning enough for a full score! It would be amazing to hear her do this today, considering how beautifully her voice has matured!" Yes at everything, especially the last sentence - she really should re-record this masterpiece. And I just knew you would love this song, too.

@pop3blow2 (7) perhaps needed time: "One of those songs where I keep waiting for a big moment, that never really comes. Maybe that’s the artistic point of the song, here, but it just doesn’t really work for me." This is a perfectly valid point, but I sincerely hope the song grows on you. Despite giving it a perfectly acceptable score, @M24 (7.5) confesses: "This is a bit TOO techno for me." Interesting comparison, which actually makes sense.
    @DominoDancing (8) actually gave this song one of his highest scores in the entire rate, and I'm very much here for it. He says: "Really quite like this for its atmosphere, and I could see me loving it in a more fleshed out form." To be honest, I expected you would like this one. Glad that I was right.
    @SyPOPhantic (7) was also undecided "Not sure how I truly feel about this but of the lot, it feels sonically different which interests me." The power of the unexpectedness factor!

However, @Sprockrooster (9) is vibing: "Dark and mysterious. I like it more than I remembered it to be." That's the way to go!
    After tragically tanking "Love Sick Girl"/"Yay Ha", @Laurence (10) is showing taste again: "This is so haunting. I imagine it is about rape? But what a track. I'm interested to see what the write up will be..." So, did the write-up live up to its expectation? lol

Closing off with the iconic commentary from @DinahLee (7): "Stefani Del Rey made some points. This song is probably the… most random track to show up from these early recordings. The Vocoder bar Autotune? The haunting atmosphere? The beat that comes out of nowhere? The Telephone??? Ended The Fame Monster. Ended Bloody Mary." This commentary would make so much more sense if it had a 10 or 11 next to it - I literally can't imagine it going with a score of 7.
    Anyways, you better stan!

So, bare with me as I mourn this song and cry myself to sleep while replaying it.

"They never really knew it then, how to do it when..."

Next up: Right after losing my 11, my lowest remaining score gets a boot. I don't think it will be a particular loss for anyone else, too.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  6. Ouch. That would suck.

7. Yeah. I'm a bit mad at it just surpassing both my 10 and 11, but at least my 11 for "Trigger" helped it reach the top 20.

The next elimination is quite a random song and I didn't expect it to go this far at all.

8. I'm going to guess that we'll be losing "Stache" next, based on this.

Maki, berserkboi and Untouchable Ace like this.
  9. Great 11 pick @Maki!! :D

Crisp X, Laurence, Maki and 1 other person like this.
  10. Oh so that is why it took so long for this elimination? Great 11 choice indeed!

Crisp X, MilesAngel, Maki and 3 others like this.
  11. Sorry for the low score! I'm going to revisit this track and see if I can change my mind on it.

Maki likes this.
  12. There was something very interesting about Trigger, those haunting "ring, ring-a-ding" fading out in the background... imagine if it had been Telephone's side B after fleshing out the great ideas that were on the demo.

Crisp X, Maki and Untouchable Ace like this.
  13. Ahhh looking back at it, 7 feels harsh. I think the song is a nice skeleton, but missed some flesh. And, while thinking "well it is a demo", there are many other songs that are way more produced even thought they were one-session (like "Oh Well").

It IS iconic and a nice pick for 11. Good one Maki!

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  14. Trigger was easily one of the rate's biggest surprises. I need her to team up with Trent Reznor.

15. So, between the forum being down the other day and me having a root canal treatment earlier today, I actually think I'll be able to do an elimination tonight.

Laurence, Crisp X, elektroxx and 3 others like this.
  16. Okay, seems like the antibiotics are starting to kick in and before I'm feeling drowsy and fall asleep while doing the write-up, let's do a quick spotlight on a song that I connect to "Trigger", the most recent elimination.

It's "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)" - the 60's classic and a song I have a lot love towards.

Obviously, starting with the original version:

The version I thought was the original for a long time, and still mistakenly refer to it that way:

Before @berserkboi mentions it:

Another French diva and another excellent version:

And, of course, Gaga's brilliant live rendition:

That final chorus... I'm bald.​

The actual elimination should be up tomorrow - I nearly finished its write-up, so it will be posted earlier than usual (i.e. not in the evening/night GMT).

17. I am as objective as ever when I say Dalida, singing this song in Italian is the best! Something about the resignation and pain she conveys leading to that key change - I Can Hear God etc

(The perfect match of talent, language and song!)

Maki and Phonetics Boy like this.
  18. Pat

Pat

Welp. This burn. Was I really the only who hates this?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.