Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (#17 - Balladophobia) | Page 49 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (#17 - Balladophobia)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. I didn't vote because I forgot to submit my scores because I'm lame but Trigger is amazing ok thank you.

2. So where is the elimination.
    upload_2020-7-20_23-22-5.gif

3. You, @AshtrayHeart, @Phonetics Boy (to my surprise) and @abael are the lowest scorers of "Trigger".

By the way, thanks a lot for supporting my 11 choice to the ones who did!
    Oh, that's a pity, especially since "Trigger" might've needed your help. But you're always welcome to follow the reveals!

I had some unexpected guests today, and arranging the commentary on my phone proved to be rather tricky. The elimination is coming very soon - better late than never, I guess.

Pat, Phonetics Boy, Laurence and 3 others like this.
  4. One word for this song: overrated.

Sexual tic-tac-toe...

[​IMG]

Fever

Average score: 7.475

Highest scores:
    10 x 1 (@Laurence), 9.4 x 1 (@MilesAngel), 9 x 7 (@CorgiCorgiCorgi, @Music Is Life, @muddleddreams, @Sprockrooster, @Phonetics Boy, @Crisp X, @Markus1981)
    Lowest scores: 4.3 x 1 (@Untouchable Ace), 5 x 1 (@SyPOPhantic), 6 x 7 (@Ana Raquel, @VitaminBee, @elektroxx, @yeRleDanaL, @AshtrayHeart, @abael, @Seventeen Days)
    My score: 6.25

High peak: #19 (28 voters, 34 voters)
    Low peak: #44 (5 voters)

I had to break down the highest/lowest scores section for this one just to put into perspective how consistently this song was scored. Receiving seven 9's and seven 6's, it was the highest placing song without any 10's in this rate until @Laurence, one of the last voters, sent his scores. Honestly, I never thought it would go this far, but the score consistency certainly worked in its favour.
    Also, with this elimination, I'm only left with 7.5+ scores now, so...
    [​IMG]

"Fever" is yet another Gaga-Fusari song, written in 2006, apparently during their transition from the rockier sound of her band to the more pop. But, its story doesn't end there. The team of singer Adam Lambert called Gaga and asked her to write for him. Regarding that call, she said this: "They called me. They asked me to write for him. I was actually like, 'Geez, I got this record that I wrote a while ago.' It's, like, a total hit, smash record, but for some reason, like, I couldn't get it right with me doing it, and I said, 'Gosh, it would be perfect for him.'"
    They met in October 2008, and Gaga played him the song, as she explains: "I played it for him and he's like, 'Oh my God, I love it,' and he went crazy, so we did it. He's a funny guy, he's a good guy."

Eventually, the song appeared on Adam's debut album, called "For Your Entertainment", on November 23, 2009 (that's quick!) and the production was done by Jeff Bhasker (who would go on to co-produce "Diamond Heart"). One thing that irks me is that Adam constantly brings up the song as it was written specifically for him, and pretending it's not just a re-used old outtake. I mean, you're lucky Gaga even agreed to work with you!
    In September 2010, Adam's version of "Fever" was released as a radio-only single in New Zealand, and peaked at #19 on the charts. More coins for the "Bad Romance" chanteuse, in the midst of the craze around her.

The song has only one live performance on record, with Stefani performing as Lady Ga Ga (yes, exactly like that), presumably for the first time with that moniker. It took place on October 6th, 2006, at The Cutting Room. The song was preceded by a live rendition of "Wonderful", another song we're rating here.

I don't really know what to say about "Fever". I do like its more funky/glam rock edge, and especially Gaga's vocal delivery, but there's not much to it. Also, the melody does nothing to me and feels a bit empty, despite flowing nicely.
    The three demos are rough, with each having some elements/vocals/lyrics added, and all rely on the GarageBand-y beat. The TLA Mix, in comparison, is much more finished and has a guitar backing, giving it a more of a 'live feel', yet still having enough synths for it to remain in the pop rock zone. And the funk version expands on that spectrum, adding some more elements (the "Musicland" intro - another unreleased song we have yet to hear in full), but also dropping some (like the distorted, swirling synths during the middle-8). The "yeah, yeah, YEAH" middle-8 in TLA and Funk versions is quite a moment, I must admit. However, there isn't a lot for me to return it... I guess it's on the "it exists" scale of my rating and is a nice example of how a song an progress while going through different stages.

I consider TLA and Funk mixes the best. Adam's version, though... let's just say that I'm not a fan of his voice. Okay, I'll say that the production is more synth pop than glam rock, and isn't melodically nor lyrically changed, apart from the outro.

The lyrics are that typical quirky, "I'm in love" Gags we're used to during this era. I really like this couplet:
    Let's get inside your car
    Just you, me and the stars
    Kind of ménage à trois

But to think this is the song she decided to give to Adam is a bit confusing to me. Although I think she went with it because of that style working for him, since it isn't really present as often among the unreleased tracks. Still, I would've preferred if this song left at least 10 spots ago.

Anyways, bye to this song and hello to the commentary!

Starting with @pop3blow2 (8.7), who chooses their favourite version: "Really most of the versions here are pretty solid & offer different vibes. I think the ‘funk mix’ sounds the most full & complete." Yeah, Funk and TLA mixes of this song are definitely the most complete ones. @berserkboi (7) picks a fave, too, but goes with TLA Mix and says: "Her pronunciation of Menage A Trois made me cringe but this is better than her previous era in general!" Love that you give a verdict on each French part her songs are containing.
    However, @DominoDancing (8) is reaching for yet another version instead: "This one went through quite some changes in its different incarnations (generally towards the better I'd say). Too bad some of those stupid piano trills never went away. Vocally, this sounds very Gaga. I think I like v3 most. The sleazy guitar one some of the versions are pretty cool, but the chorus pops most on v3, and the 8 is for that version in particular." Yes, the track improved with each new mix.

@DinahLee (8) notices every detail and ranks the versions, too: "I didn’t care about fever til we got that Funky demo. That was gold. I’m not sure how they labeled all the demos that leaked but that “demo” >>> the “final” version we had (and both>>>>>>> the Adam version tbh lol). Also, kudos for the “Musicland” snippet intro." I agree that Adam's version is weak. On the contrary, @Seventeen Days (6) prefers that one: "Adam Lambert’s finished version of this honestly trumps the demo versions. They’re just not really a good fit for her, but at least it worked out well in the end." At least we agree that the song isn't anything special. @Laurence (10), the sole high scorer for this song, liked all of the versions: "So many mixes here! I wish we had a version where it was mixed up like the one that Adam Lambert released. Anyways. I had a listen to all of them and jup, strong track. Understand why this was given away as it was a nice single for Adam. The song is lovely, I totally imagine myself lusting over a guy and singing this song in a bar while he's watching knowing it is him. But eh, I'm not a superstar (yet). Awesome. Lovely chorus, in v1 there's a piano bit pre-chorus as it's empty but ey." When you become a superstar.mp3, let me know how your premiere live performance of "Fever" went.

@CorgiCorgiCorgi (9) has a speculation: "It's a great song, but I can see why Gaga gave it away - it doesn't really suit her voice as well." She does a great job vocally on this track, although I think it's reasonable that it wasn't meant to remain hers.
    @M24 (7.5) says: "The chorus doesn't have much energy.", but @spaceship (8) thinks that this is "one of her most developed songs of this era". And I'm sure @Crisp X (9) will be in that team: "That funky bridge! This totally could have been one of my favorite The Fame songs had it been finished." Well, demos are unfinished, but I get what you're talking about.​

Let's leave it to @Pat (7), who perfectly sums up the general response to this song: "Solid outtake, but nothing too special."

One of the three demos:

Funk Mix:

Live performance:

Can we talk about the "I wish you love, peace and meat-a-balls" moment at the end? ICONIC.

Adam Lambert's version:

Next up: We're saying goodbye to the second 11 in the top 20.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    M24, pop3blow2, Crisp X and 9 others like this.
  5. "I was actually like, 'Geez, I got this record that I wrote a while ago.' It's, like, a total hit, smash record, but for some reason, like, I couldn't get it right with me doing it, and I said, 'Gosh, it would be perfect for him.'"

Stefani really did him dirty nn.
    Like, alright, it's a nice song, but calling it "a total hit, smash record".... Same about "The Greatest Thing"
    I'm still excited for the top10 (and especially top5) even if it's a bit predictable, but still surprised some songs are still in.

M24 and Maki like this.
  6. The lack of discussion for "Fever" justifies its general consensus lol...

Even though I planned it for today, but had another exam in the meantime, the next song will be eliminated tomorrow. The hint for it is hidden in the previous elimination (and it's literally connected to the song in a way).​

pop3blow2, Laurence, sesita and 3 others like this.
  7. Wonderful?! No!

elektroxx and Maki like this.
  8. As I said before, another 11 falls...

I colored you a valentine, struggled just to stay inside the lines...

[​IMG]

Wonderful

Average score: 7.506

Highest scores: 11 x 1
    (@yeRleDanaL), 10 x 5 (@Phonetics Boy, @Sprockrooster, @berserkboi, @muddleddreams, @Laurence)
    Lowest score: 4 x 1 (@soratami)
    My score: 8.5

High peak: #8 (7 voters)
    Low peak: #18 (20, 22, 30-34 voters)

With "Wonderful" departing, we finally get to see the first song that was once in the top 10. It actually had a very strong start, wavering around the #11 spot for most of the time, and at the half voters mark, started falling until it ended up on its low peak. When it comes to scoring, it did receive a wide range of scores between 5 and 10, which can be considered a disadvantage.
    Also, it's the first song with five 10's - we'll see that much more often from now on.

"Wonderful" is the very first song Gaga wrote/recorded after meeting Rob Fusari in March of 2006, which makes it special. Tom Kafafian also contributed to the songwriting. Gaga released the song on her PureVolume The song was #2 on the iWebRadio's Top 10 Most Requested Songs in July of 2006. The entire top 10 was:
    The incorrect use of ".)" makes my anxiety crazy and irks me.
    But, really, who knew Gaga had "hits" before "Just Dance"?

Along with "Kandy Life", "Wonderful" also appeared as the only other unreleased song on the 5-track promo disc which she and her then-manager, Laurent Becenson, compiled in the summer of 2007 (around her Lollapalooza performance) in order to promote her music to other people in the music business:
    [​IMG]
    I think I posted this before

As I mentioned in a hint, "Wonderful" is connected to "Fever" in a few different ways - it was performed live on the same night at The Cutting Room on October 6th, 2006 (video link below), but Gaga also considered offering the song to Adam Lambert, which she revealed at a meet & greet during The Monster Ball Tour (@Laurence clocked either of the connections). Quite amazing, huh?
    She performed the song as Stefani Germanotta on April 6th, 2006 at Sin-é music venue and there's a clip of it available, and is posted below.

Also, Rob Fusari released his version of the song (as Cary Nokey) on the EP "Journal 8", and is titled as cringy "1derful". I haven't listened to it and, quite frankly, probably never will.

I consider "Wonderful" a lovely song. The verses start slowly, with a typical piano line, and then explode into the excellent chorus, where drums and guitars are just bursting with passion. The production is also very accomplished for a demo. That middle-8 really packs a punch and her vocals are awesome, too.
    I mean, she really can do no wrong with these piano + guitar ballads. Yeah, they're very 00's in a way, but also sound like classics. Funny thing is that I used to mistake it with "Something Crazy" because it contains the lyrics of that song's title. Speaking of which, it's very reminiscent of her "Red and Blue" EP - it makes sense why this is the very first song she wrote with Rob. Oh, and when the alternate hook gets intertwined with the final chorus - such a great moment!
    It serves as a nice (better?) companion to "Brown Eyes" (even references the song with "I wrote a song about your eyes" line), and would've easily been one of the bonus tracks from her debut album.

The review of the song on PureVolume by The Cornell Daily Sun sums it up better than I could:
    On Wonderful, Gaga displays her remarkable vocalic ability to switch between Fiona Apple-like crooning and an edgier chorus. For all the haters who think retro-rock is for the boys, Lady Gaga proves that chicks can wear their 80s influences on their sleeves, rock the mic and look sexy at the same time.

Its final placement can't be disputed, since it's a ballad, and that almost always leans into the more divisive category when it comes to Gaga. Even though I slightly underscored it, top 20 feels just right for it.

As for the commentary, I must bring back the low scorer's, @soratami's reaction to the song earlier in the thread: "Wonderful... who let Sara Bareilles past the gate?" Honestly, I had no idea this was a drag, so the 4 you gave it was a bit of a surprise.

@Laurence (10) is a stan: "This is soooo beautiful. I love it to death, and have played it to death too. I wish I could play this on the piano and sing for a guy I would have been in love with. Definite Top 10 material too. Loves it. Great track. Hope there is more info about it." I hope you won't be too disappointed, since this is a great placement for a ballad. @DinahLee (8) likes it, too, and echoes the current thread title: "That Online Radio hit. Wonderful does feel like one of the most complete songs that Team Love Child created. And I don’t mean it like “it doesn’t sound like a demo” but actually a song where everything came along and worked. It’s a nice song." Love that you know so much trivia about all these unreleased songs!
    However, @DominoDancing (5.5) is not here for it: "MOR as it gets, and too far on the boring side." You better change your mind, since this is an excellent slice of a classic ballad she does so well. Let me bring @Sprockrooster (10) to explain it: "Classic Queen-esque GAGA. Wonderful indeed."

@Phonetics Boy (10) gets emotional: "I get such mid-00s nostalgia from this, I could shed a single tear.", although @Pat (6.5) apparently doesn't appreciate classic-sounding songs: "This era has so many similar sounding songs and this is just another one of them." There are literally two or three more songs in the same vein in this section?
    @M24 (7.5) simply says: "Cute ballad but just that." Cute comment and just that.
    Oh, and who knew @berserkboi (10) would love a pop-rock Gaga song so much? He yells with relief: "SOOOOOOO Glad this eventually was the sound Gaga pursued further!" I'm glad you liked this one.

Let's leave it to the 11-giver, @yeRleDanaL, to explain why the song deserves love: "Some great pop-rock tea. I remember discovering and loving this song when I was a freshman in high school and serving my romcom fantasy. A really great lovey-dovey song with that tinge of self-love and empowerment. My favorite parts are the "PLAAACE WE'VE" part of the bridge, and the "Wonderful I..." at the very end. I really wish that this song was released in some capacity because it is one of my fave Gaga tracks in general."

Live performance from Sin-e (only a snippet available):

Live performance from Cutting Room:

Rob Fusari's version (listen at your own risk)

Next up: Hmm... interesting.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 10:32 PM
    M24, Crisp X, pop3blow2 and 9 others like this.
  9. "Wonderful" deserved Top 10. I am disgusted by this result!

10. Very surprised this is not top 10.

11. What a wonderful write up @Maki
    I clocked it cuz of the performances!

How is this not Top 10 indeed? Bummer.

12. Also please delete that in the post. We don’t want any accidental streams from misclicks going that way, right.

I think next might be.. Vanity or Rockshow?

VitaminBee and Maki like this.
  13. Wonderful and Fever...ugh they were faves in my early gaga stanning... i love the demo demo of fever TEEBS, that outro with the different and kinda "more intense" piano switch up was so nice i love it and i love the line "but your mom's not home and i'm sick of laying down alone" yas!

Maki likes this.
  14. is TOP TEN

Maki likes this.
  15. I get what you're talking about, but as if streams count for someone who's dead and gone in terms of career. I'm going to leave it, but surely won't post anything by them again.

Also, @BreatheBox - are you working on your hypothetical ballot? It could be really interesting to see how the scores would've affected the results if you voted.

Laurence likes this.
  16. sent!!!

Maki likes this.
  17. Also to be honest Oh Well >>> Wonderful.. theyre kinda similar...im always anticipating Oh Well's chorus listening to wonderful.

Maki likes this.
  18. To be honest, I didn't know the general consensus of "Wonderful" was until this rate, so I'm glad it didn't perform even worse. Actually, I was expecting it to land around this spot, but not lead to any complaints.

That being said, I think tomorrow's elimination will cause even more outrage than "Wonderful" did.
    Hint: It's a song from a different section.

elektroxx and berserkboi like this.
  19. Oh no... I’m worried. I hate that I have to wait to find out. As long as it isn’t my 11.

Maki likes this.
  20. Is it "Stache"? Can we finally get rid of "Stache"?

"Stache" is this rate's "Mowgli's Road" for me, haha.

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.