Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (#17 - Balladophobia) | Page 50 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (#17 - Balladophobia)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. had to double check but i'm so happy superstar is gone heart emoji

Maki likes this.
  2. I was supposed to do an elimination today (or even yesterday), but have to wake up early tomorrow, because I'm having a tooth extraction + tooth cyst removal.

Wish me luck.

3. Thinking of you @Maki - that sounds really painful! Xxx

Phonetics Boy, M24 and Maki like this.
    Crisp X, sesita, Maki and 2 others like this.
  5. M24

M24

After falling like three months behind, I was finally able to read all the elimination posts and re-listen to each song! I don't know the songs by heart, so it takes me a while to get through each post and I delayed doing this because #procrastination.

I'm lucky my 11 is still here! I pitied the poor misunderstood masterpieces that left us too early: "Shut Up" and "Wish You Were Here". And maybe "Filthy Pop" too. I feel kind of sad I wasn't more generous giving out 9+ scores. Oh well, you live and you learn, I guess. Now I differentiate my scores more for every rate.

I hope your dental surgery went well, @Maki, and that it wasn't too painful!

Crisp X, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  6. Oh that absolutely sucks - I also hope it went well and wasn't too painful!

Phonetics Boy, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  7. Good luck and hope that you have an easy recovery, @Maki!

Phonetics Boy, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  8. Thank you for all the wishes!
    I'm glad that you managed to catch up with the rate, @M24.

I got home about two hours ago, and the extraction went well. The "biggest" pain was either when they were pulling the infected part of the tooth root out, or the anesthetic injection in the beginning, which wasn't much at all. Anyways, it was relatively smoothly done.

I'll try to finally kick out one song tonight, since most of the write-up is ready.

Crisp X, sesita, elektroxx and 2 others like this.
  9. Since I feel no greater pain (yet), let's continue with the eliminations.

Something interesting happens...

Welp.

It's been a hard day, harder night...

(I just realized how relatable this lyric will be to me today lol)

[​IMG]

Fooled Me Again

Average score: 7.718

Highest scores: 11 x 3
    (@VitaminBee, @AshtrayHeart, @SyPOPhantic), 10 x 1 (@yeRleDanaL)
    Lowest score: 4 x 2 (@HEARTCORE, @abael)
    My score: 9.5

High peak: #6 (5 voters)
    Low peak: #17 (34 voters)

With this cut, "The Fame" sessions section has its winning song - "Fashion". A bit predictable, but very deserving. Anyways, let's get talk about quite unique score statistics for this elimination.
    "Fooled Me Again" is the first song with multiple 11's to leave the rate, but also the only song that's received more 11's than 10's in the entire rate! Also, it's the only song that had its best placement with the first (5 voter mark), but finished in its lowest placement once all (34) voters sent their scores. Accolades.
    It is a great placement for a ballad, considering we booted quite an amount of them already.

"Fooled Me Again" is a song written by Gaga-Fusari sometime in 2007. A snippet of it appearing on "The Fame" promotional video, it is reasonable to assume that the song almost made it to her debut album, yet was cut lat-minute.
    The song was originally thought to be titled "Honest Eyes" (which still is used as an alternate title on some links), until Gaga performed it live - twice! The first time on March 10th, 2009 at KIIS-FM radio and later at KDWB Skyroom on March 23rd of the same year (both linked below), both being acoustic piano versions of the song. It really got a more special treatment compared to most of her unreleased songs, and, quite frankly, it deserves that. In the live performance for KIIS-FM, she added an intro to the song, which basically serves as another verse, and it's a great addition.

Similarly to "Wonderful", as soon as you hear the opening piano notes, you just know it's another classic Gaga ballad and yet another song that just proves that she excels in this sound. It isn't hard to notice the typical Rob production at the time, which is quite accomplished this time. The inevitable guitar is there, popping up just at perfect times. The resemblances with other ballads, like "Brown Eyes" and "Speechless", are quite obvious, yet I consider it better than these two. There's a subtle dose of desolation injected in the song, which kind of sets it apart and makes it among my fave Gaga unreleased ballads. The passion in her voice, the Gwen Stefani-esque 'ooh, ooh...' backing vocals, the "eeyes, eeeyees, eeeeeeeeeyes..." culmination - there's something really precious about this song. The only thing that it is missing is a middle-8, which would've been fantastic, hence I couldn't give it a perfect 10. It always missed that special spark for me to completely adore it.

Lyrically, it's a sad love song depicting an unfortunate end of a relationship. Sources even say that "Fooled Me Again" song talks about the same relationship described in "Brown Eyes".

Oh, and can we talk about the "you're so full of sh- honest..." moment? Iconic.

Out of the remaining songs, this would've surely been in my top 10, but it wasn't far away, so I can't really complain. But let's see what you thought about it.

A lot of you compared it to "Brown Eyes", which isn't a surprise by any means.
    @elektroxx gives it a 9 and says: "I was really disappointed that this didn't appear on The Fame after it appeared in that The Fame promo video. "Fooled Me Again (Honest Eyes)" >>>> "Brown Eyes," imo."
    @DinahLee (8) also brings up the song in question: "I’d have this one instead of Brown Eyes on the fame. Would be a cute hint for the “fame monster”." Hmm.. not sure about the comparison with "The Fame Monster", but "Speechless" certainly evokes a similar feeling as this song. @Laurence (8) is feeling a bit less generous: "A good ballad. Some say it might be better than Brown Eyes? Hmm dunno. I like it, but a bit grating at the end I guess. There's so many versions of this going around I think. Ah well. A nice song." There's only one studio and two live versions to my knowledge.

@Seventeen Days (8.5) speaks the truth: "Cabaret Gaga always gets crap, but these are some of her best tracks.", but @DominoDancing (5) will have to think about this sentence: "A song I've heard a billion times before." I mean, this can only apply if you listened to this song on repeat over a hundred times. Otherwise, it is not generic, but timeless. Maybe that's why it sounded familiar to you? @pop3blow2 (6.8) isn't convinced, either: "The piano riff is pretty here, but the rest of this song is kind of a mess." It's way too polished and to be considered a mess, huh?

@Pat (8.5) goes for the live version: "I used to play the live version of this a lot. Think I like it more than the studio demo too, has more emotion." Both versions work for me.
    To surprise of no one, @yeRleDanaL (10) loves it: "Such a solid song all around. I love the mix between the piano and the more pop rocky sound. I also love how it goes briefly silent at the end of the chorus when she says "eyyyes." " Yeah, that's a cute moment. @M24 (8.25) thinks it's a "Cute ballad.", while @berserkboi (7.1) is not sold on it "Kinda eh after the last few tracks!" I didn't really expect this after you stanning "Wonderful".

All of the trifecta of 11-givers for this song have said something about it.
    Starting with @VitaminBee, who goes back in time: "I first heard the song when it was performed on some radio show (along with an intro cover of a Neil Young song). It was such a great performance. Then the studio track leaked and I fell in love again. It's truly a great song and would have fit perfectly on The Fame. It really should have replaced Again Again or Brown Eyes. It must have ALMOST made it too since it was used in the trailer for 'The Fame'."
    @SyPOPhantic is here to make a suggestion: "This really should have made the album cut instead of Brown Eyes, everything about it is superior."
    And, finally, @AshtrayHeart mentions the same song: "I always loved this song, and felt should have been on The Fame! I guess it’s just a bit too similar to Brown Eyes."

Fun fact: @VitaminBee and @SyPOPhantic not only gave an 11 to the same song, but also gave their 0's to the same song ("Stuck on Fuckin' You"), too! #twins

Playing during the intro of "The Fame: Part One" promo video:

KIIS-FM performance, with an additional intro:

KDWB Skyroom performance:

Next up: A song where some will be happy about its departure, but at least four of you won't.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 10:13 AM
  10. I wouldn’t have thought of this as a track with multiple 11s but here we are! Hope the pain never truly comes up with your operation @Maki - hopefully you are one to have a fast recovery!

DominoDancing and Maki like this.
  11. Me posting, hoping it wasn’t my 11 to go, was a bit of a joke... then I see that I was quoted by @Maki...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did not expect this to be out before the top 10. The lack of taste between @HEARTCORE and @abael is quite evident. Worms for brains.

12. Ah, my number 11 is gone, but it was worth it. I can only think of one other song I was going to give it to, to be honest.

VitaminBee, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  13. The way I just totally forgot the comments I wrote for this rate dd RIP. But yeah, I like how Fooled Me Again (Honest Eyes) [Yes, that should be the official title anyway] evokes this feeling of betrayal that could be part of the "dark side" of Fame, hence the "TFM" connection I made. But only if it was part of the original "The Fame" revised, as some type of bonus track on the original album + TFM songs.

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  14. I didn't give "Fooled Me Again" an 10?! What was I thinking? It deserves a 10, which makes it all the more surprising that it only received one 10.

Maki and VitaminBee like this.
  15. Ahem my 5 might have been a bit harsh, but musically and melodically I still think this is a suuuuper by-the-numbers track.

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  16. The internet connection has literally vanished in the entire town this afternoon and still hasn't returned, and using a phone for an elimination is quite tricky to do.
    Good thing I started on the write up, so it will be done earlier tomorrow (if the internet connection comes back, of course).

Hint: the next song we're losing has something in common with the previous one.

17. Oh, no. The next elimination is going to be "Let Love Down," isn't it?

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  18. No... no... please no.
    [​IMG]

19. 3 elevens. I guess Fooled Me Again did that.

Laurence and Maki like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.