Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (#21 - Emo phase/moment) | Page 40 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (#21 - Emo phase/moment)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. I hope that we lose a majority of the Team Love Child tracks, excluding "Let Love Down" and "Wonderful," and maybe "Stache" before the Top 20.

Maki likes this.
  2. Sorry for double post. I thought I already finished reading but there more posts ddd

Why is there also a R.I.P. between the completely cut first two era's, but not for the also culled Born This Way era? I call shade!

Not sure if it makes even top 5.

Not only live, but also jazzy. Even a bigger feat. Come on Gaga update that vault and gives a rarity bundle pack.

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  3. Born This Way section earned its own a while ago, in the top 50 recap:
    I put the R.I.P. next to them as soon as the section loses all of its songs (in order to not repeat it).

The next elimination is something new when it comes to scoring, and that's quite an achievement.

4. I'm stupid and forgot that there's one more live-only song still in.

Sorry, "Captivated", but you're down to one achievement.

5. It's time to say goodbye to the first song that made it to the top 30...

...and it's another 11.

And now everything is gonna change...

[​IMG]

Oh Well

Average score: 6.871

Highest scores:
    11 x 1 (@pop3blow2), 10 x 1 (@DinahLee)
    Lowest score: 5 x 6 (@Pat, @SyPOPhantic, @Music Is Life (!), @Markus1981, @abael, @HEARTCORE)
    My score: 8

High peak: #22 (17 voters)
    Low peak: #30 (34 voters)

Poor @pop3blow2, losing 11's in two different rates within a span of 24 hours.
    "Oh Well" is the song I was referring to as the 'only song with 11, but no 10's' in one of the leaderboard teas. Obviously, that changed once @DinahLee, one of the later voters, gave it a 10. Clearly, this song is one of the most consistently scores ones, which made its high/low peaks very even, as it just floated above top 30, with the final few voters bringing it down to its low peak, which was still inside the top 30.
    What is new so far is a song having its lowest score of a 5. In fact, the next time we see the lowest score being a 5 will be in about 15 eliminations, which is impressive.

"Oh Well" is a song written by Lady Gaga and Rob Fusari, the producer, in June 2006. The exact date, which appears in the song file's title, is June 5th 2006, which must be the date the song was recorded and/or produced. The song was briefly available on Gaga's PureVolume for a month or two until she decided to remove the song in August. The reason for that was, as Gaga mentioned, that the song was "not good enough". Well, Rob Fusari will definitely disagree with that. When asked about naming his favourite unreleased songs on Gaga Daily, he highlighted "Oh Well" and talked about it for a bit: I think 'Oh Well' sounds like it was penned by, just a classic, it sounds like it came out of the hand and mind of John Lennon. Almost Sargent Pepper-era. When I hear things like that, they sound classic to me. Every time I listen to that song, I just am floored by her song writing.
    Not Gaga Daily misspelling "sergeant" - kind of on-brand, huh?

Explaining the song's creation, Rob also mentioned:
    I don't think it ever got the right treatment. We basically demo'd it, a rough kind of idea, just to put it down, and then I don't think we ever went back to it, to really produce it and touch it up. The demo was literally just like in one day, a couple hours on it. We never really refined it or did anything to it, but I go back to it, and I'm like, "Whoa. This song is... whoa." And you really feel the heart, you really feel her heart in it. There's something, there's something painful, there's something hopeful, there's a lot of emotion in her lyric, in the way she's singing that song, for me.
    Wow, for a rough demo made in less than a day, this is fantastic!

The song was available online for quite a while, but it finally surfaced in HQ around March 2018.

"Oh Well" is one of the those ballads and rockier songs Team Love Child made before Gaga switching her style, probably one of the last ones they recorded. Actually, that makes it the first Gaga-Fusari ballad to leave this rate. Crazy to think what a switch-up was just around the corner.

I agree a lot with the John Lennon comparisons Rob made - it just sounds straight from the 70's. And the fact he mentioned it sounding like a classic is on point. I mean, the chorus sounds like some kind of a standard that I've heard before. Actually, the vast majority of her ballads at this time sound like complete classics to me. And that's no surprise, given they were inspired by some of the greatest rock icons of the 60's and 70's. It's very I really enjoy the melody of it, especially the way Gaga sings the song. Oh, and I love the middle-8, notably the "whyyy?..." bit. It's lovely. And while the sound may be a bit too 'fanfare', like some of you mentioned, that just adds to the old-school charm the song is wrapped in. The trumpets/horns which come in during the final chorus are a great addition and that makes the song stand out, especially when compared to her other ballads, which heavily rely on piano. Also, the song uses guitars, and almost has a live-band feel to it, and that's really cool.
    The lyrics are very simple when put on paper (and there's not a lot of them at all, the verses are so short), but her performance elevates them so much and makes the song even more poignant. Gaga sings about her relationship, which is coming to an end, knowing it's not going to be the same as before. She's confused because of that, but comes to terms with what's about to happen, which all comes back to the songs title. These are actually some stellar lyrics. Such a drastic difference, compared to her goofy lyrics from that era, including a lot of variations of 'fancy' and some made-up words.

I think I underscored "Oh Well", actually. It always gets a bit tucked away by the listeners and ends up lonely. There's literally not a single objection on the song, it just pales a bit when compared to the superior ballads of this era. Damn... she has a lot of strong ballads.
    Could've done better, but... oh well.

Despite the scores being relatively evenly distributed, the commentary is a bit divisive.

Comparing the song to her other balladry, @Seventeen Days (6) states: "CabaretGa makes an appearance, but she definitely did it better on both “Speechless” and “Again Again”. Not bad for what it is though." I agree with "Speechless" successfully expanding on this sound, but "Again Again" is weaker.
    Meanwhile, @VitaminBee (8) is a bit conflicted and says: "Oh Well is a bit of a weird one for me. It has a lot of things going on in it that I like (I really love how her voice sounds in the choruses) but it also has some weird production choices. It still manages to stay in my iTunes library though." WHat you call "weird production" is actually a production from a one day session. I love that it won you over in the end.

Now, the trumpet use is what made some impressions. Firstly, @berserkboi (7.1) says: "The drama and eventual trumpets inflate a fairly basic song, I guess!" and @Petit nain des Îles (8) was sold on it, too: "I wasn’t really paying attention then that horn melody came on and I stopped everything just to replay that part over and over again." *chorus of the aforementioned "Again Again" starts playing*

One of the song's biggest supporters, @DinahLee (10) was swept away by it, as they mention: "My first ten. After a whole decade we also finally got this one in HQ and while thinking of Let Love Down, I almost forgot about this one. It’s a strong one. There’s a strong energy over it. I love the fanfare verses and the bitterness of the chorus. Fusari was right when he stanned this one." It's surely an understated song and I see you know about Fusari's love towards it.

Unfortunately, @DominoDancing (5.5) isn't here for it: "The funhouse parts are simply excruciating, the chorus is okay. Not really my thing overall." and @Laurence (6) will agree with him, saying: "Not a big fan of this ballad, but meh." It's definitely more than 'meh'. @M24 (7.5) thinks it's "Just ok.", while @Pat (5) just has no mercy: "Kinda dreadful. Instant skip."

Again, let's close with the high scorer, @pop3blow2 (11): "Yes! Loving the weird little roller-rink organ. It’s all very 70’s in the best ways. Oooh, and then all the Beatles/ELO orchestration. This might wind up being my 11. Certainly the discovery of the rate so far me. (edit... yeah, I made it my 11)"
    I'm glad that this oddity found at least one avid fan.

"Your love drowned us in a hole / You never ever wanted her to grow..."

Up next: We're not going far away at all.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  6. Oops sorry!! I was being generous too...

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  7. Okay, I'm really really sorry I'm not caught up in here, but I wanted to see why I was tagged twice, and I think...this is the first time I've ever been listed in the Lowest Score section, besides the 0s I gave out in the BPG rate. I am shook.

8. Oh Well is just fantastic and one of my favorites. Another one that almost got my 11.
    Didn't comment about the last eliminations but it's quite funny to see this song in #30 because... I think it deserved to be higher but also most of the songs are still worth to be inside top30.

This is fun!

pop3blow2, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  9. I love that @Maki initially recruited @Music Is Life (and possibly me) expecting high scores across the board for the rate, and both of us let out our Little Monsters TM and used an almost full scale ddddd

10. I didn't know that!
    We are just as shook as you are.

And you have a lot of catching up to do indeed.

To be honest, I expected you to tank some of the songs, but @Music Is Life was the one who really surprised me with the lack of high scores (and his lowest score in the entire rate is a 4).

11. Her unreleased material just isn't as amazing as her released, which doesn't usually happen with my faves. I was just as surprised as you.

And I knooowww. I'm getting there. It's the entire forum I have to catch up on.

12. You definitely weren't alone in thinking that. A lot of the songs are quite different to what we're used to from Gaga, so it's reasonable that the fans aren't really into them.
    You're running your own rate, so take your time. I have to do some catching up in your and @berserkboi's rate, too.

Can't believe we've passed the half-point. It went by so quickly, even though it's been more than month and a half since the eliminations started. Any guesses as to which song we're losing tomorrow?

13. Yes - both you and @Music Is Life need to come and share in my suffering as I eliminate my poor faves in the Anime Rate dddd

Maki and Music Is Life like this.
  14. Let Love Down and Wonderful deserve Top 10.

These can take the boot first: Vanity, Spin U Around, Love Sick Girl/Yay Ha, Filthy Pop, New York, Stache,

Maki and elektroxx like this.
  15. I don't know about Top 10, but definitely Top 15.

Maki likes this.
  16. Oh Well is such a cute track...a staple in my early Gaga stanning...with the BURIM EXCLUSIVE BABY tag during the bridge of course...

Maki likes this.
  17. And we've been blessed with the tagless, HQ version a few years ago, but I can understand keeping the tag for the nostalgia reasons.

One of these is leaving next...

18. 'Oh Well' was an instant 10 for me. At the end I went back through some of my highly scored songs to choose my 11, it kinda became an easy pick. Top 30 is a pretty good placing. It really is an odd little song, but I really enjoy it. Might be an absolute Gaga fave of mine, now, to be honest.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.