Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (#21 - Emo phase/moment) | Page 41 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (#21 - Emo phase/moment)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. I keep the tag in my heart only ffff otherwise I'm glad the tag less version got leaked.

Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  2. I still don't care a lot for it. Could be... Hmm. It's not okay, it's clearly near good, but still max a 7 from me.

Maki likes this.
  3. Looks like I'll have to save the next one for tomorrow. There's a lot to mention in the write-up, so please be patient*.

*and be patient for the "Chromatica" release, too.

4. Oh man! I really liked Oh Well. Sad to see it go but not that sad.

5. Moving on to the next cut.

There is a lot to say about this song...

Body lays inside the broken glass...

[​IMG]

Spin U Around

Average score: 6.896

Highest scores:
    10 x 1 (@Sprockrooster), 9.25 x 1 (@AllGagaLike), 9 x 3 (@Phonetics Boy, @Seventeen Days, @pop3blow2)
    Lowest score: 4 x 1 (@Laurence)
    My score: 7

High peak: #19 (14 voters)
    Low peak: #31 (5 voters, 8 voters)

We continue to cull Gaga-Fusari ballads. "Spin U Around" didn't really have that much movement on the leaderboard, mostly due to receiving generally consistent scores. After reaching its peak position just inside the top 20, it gracefully fell to the lower half of top 30. Not being as divisive as some of the songs definitely helped it achieve this result.

"Spin U Around" is yet another outtake written by Gaga and Fusari in mid-2006, but the background of the song is different. Namely, the song was written for then 17 year old Lina Morgana, who was and worked with Rob Fusari since she was 16 and aspired to become a well-known pop rock artist. Her singing talent was apparent, and Rob mentioned that she's something when he met her.
    Here's an overview of 'behind the scenes' of her career, a segment which appeared on MTV:

Gaga recorded this song after Morgana had personally met with her, asking if she'd write for her. Afterwards, Morgana re-recorded the song and released it on her MySpace the following year. "Spin U Around" wasn't the only song Gaga penned for Lina. The other two are gloomy "Red Shoes" and fun "Wundaland" (where Gaga sings the outro of the song). Both are pretty good songs, and great examples of her slightly venturing into the more pop sound (at least lyrically), especially "Wundaland". The rest of her songs were written with or by Rob Fusari, and only one was officially released ("My Angel") in 2010, two years after she passed away.
    A little overview of Lina (and Gaga) in one of Rob Fusari's 'behind the scenes' episodes:

Unfortunately, an eerily sad story overshadowed all of this. On October 4th, 2008, Lina fell from the roof of the Staten Island Hotel in New York and passed away. It's not officially confirmed whether it was a suicide or not, but a lot of speculations were going around at the time. She was only 19.

An outrageous conspiracy theory that represented the peak of those speculations, somewhere in 2009/2010, is that Lady Gaga was actually responsible for Lina's death and then 'stole' her style for her own, offering photo evidence to prove it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But that's not all. There are speculations that the music video of "Paparazzi" referenced Lina's fall from the building, and also that the song Gaga wrote for her, called "Red Shoes", contains the line "falling off of the world".

Another bonkers connection is that you can spell 'Lina Morgana' from Gaga's full name:
    [​IMG]

But, it doesn't end there. Lina’s mother, Yana, has even spoken out against Gaga, accusing her of stealing her daughter’s style, persona and tragic background. She claimed Gaga was from a wealthy family and stole Lina’s “dark and tragic” life story in order to make herself seem more credible as an artist. Creepy stuff.

Of course, proof that Gaga wasn't even in the same city at the time of Lina's death was revealed (she was filming something in Los Angeles), so those claims were debunked.

But the fact that Gaga has never even addressed the existence of Lina leaves an uneasy feel to this day.

Okay, now that we took all of that in (I hope it wasn't too hard to digest), let's get back to the song.
    There's something very light and pleasant about "Spin U Around", it's almost dreamy. Quite soothing for a pop rock song, too. The production feels very raw, which is no surprise, since the song is a demo. In fact, that actually adds a bit of charm to it. Slightly melancholic in sound, the lyrics are quite ambiguous, actually. The verses are incredibly short and consist of literally two lines. While I'm not a fan of the repetitive chorus, it's a very pretty song overall. The middle-8 is perhaps the most obvious example of Gaga's slight departure from pop rock persona - she uses the word 'soundophobic' (taken from Gaga's Dictionary, of course) and she would go on to use the word on drastically different sounding "Sexy Ugly", which just left the rate at #32. Also, the song includes the lines "Love sick girl / where does it hurt?" in the pre-chorus, which was re-used in another song that's still in this rate. That's pretty cool.

Being a very pleasant song, but nothing too remarkable, I think "Spin U Around" left the rate at the right point, in my opinion.

In the comment section, the reactions are ranging from lukewarm to positive.
    @M24 (7.5) notices the difference compared to her early pop rock sound: "It's nice to have a mid-tempo rockpop piece among the boppery. Reminiscent of her EP, but with a few "Gaga" mannerisms. The chorus could be better anyway." I agree about the chorus situation, too.

@berserkboi (6.3) "This is not bad by any means but it is a little boring and doesn’t leave an impression on me either way. EDIT: Score upgraded due to this not being grating like much to find in the previous era!" Sometimes I love when you re-listen to the song and change its score, but other times... not so much (for example, some of the pop rock tunes from the EP).

Losing his first 10, @Sprockrooster (10) has a special place reserved for this song: "Part of my holy quintet in this rate"
    @Seventeen Days (9) "This track does a great job of retaining a live-band feel, but at the same time really draping everything in light electronics and reverb to give it that electro sound that was all over ‘The Fame’. This would have been a nice little bonus track for the album." It would've been an outlier on her debut either way, but knowing the purpose of the song, it wasn't even meant to be released by Gaga at all.
    And what @Seventeen Days calls "live-band feel", @pop3blow2 (9) has another word for that: "I know the production here is kinda ‘cheap’, but it actually adds a very nostalgic sound to the song. Especially the piano sound. I really like it."

I'm sure @Laurence (4) will be happy to be the lowest scorer for a change: "Not a big fan of this. It doesn't go anywhere."
    @DominoDancing (7) has a point: "Cute, but feels a little static, doesn't feel dynamic enough.", while @Pat throws it a 5 and utters: "Yeah.. I can see why this was left in the vault."
    Props to @Phonetics Boy (9), the only one who mentioned the effed up circumstances surrounding this song: "I had this on my laptop credited to Lina Morgana, kii. When will your fave get away with murder?" And the version you had on your laptop might actually be Lina's version of the song (linked below).

And the mystery lives on. Rest in peace, Lina Morgana.

Lina's version:

Next up: One of the sections we haven't seen for quite a while takes a hit. And it's an 11.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Crisp X, abael, Phonetics Boy and 8 others like this.
  6. A little appreciation post on Lina Morgana's music. She was undoubtedly a very talented girl who had potential to become a well-known artist in the music world, namely in the pop rock scene. Such a pity that her name became famous because of the messed up and notorious occurrences.
    Literally all of the songs I'll mention are great.

"Far Away", the only music video available:

The heartbreaking "My Angel", which greatly showcases her vocals, has some similarities to Evanescence's "My Immortal":

Chilled out "American Girl" is a mellow pop rock tune:

"Red Shoes", written by Gaga, is affecting in a subtle way:

Eerily titled "Together We'll R.I.P.", this gorgeous ballad is probably my favourite out of the songs mentioned:

The emotions... "Chromatica" wishes.

Literally all of these can be potential PJ00s entries (cue to @Phonetics Boy actually submitting one of them).

There's lot of her unreleased music available online, so more discoveries are bound to happen.

8. What is this?! And wait at the final part sounding like the hook in "Babylon"!

Phonetics Boy and elektroxx like this.
  9. Is this your first introduction to Ayesha Erotica? I am assuming that it's meant to be a musical parody of the conspiracy theory, but I can't say for sure; maybe Ayesha is actually a Lina Morgana conspiracy theorist.

Phonetics Boy and Maki like this.
  10. I have no idea, but the name looks familiar to me for some reason. I would say that the sonf references the conspiracy theories. And now it turns out that Ayesha mysteriously disappeared after releasing certain songs. Messy.

By the way, while doing some research for the elimination, I came across this gem and it made me cackle:
    [​IMG]

Phonetics Boy likes this.
  11. Not the more comparisons pic where they switch sides...

Not a fan of Spin U Around but a 4 was a bit harsh maybe...

Maki likes this.
  12. 'Spin U Around' is a cute song. Like something you would hear in those P3 club scenes in Charmed, some mellow pop-rock to soundtrack a moment.

The Lina Morgana conspiracies are hilarious, though.

elektroxx and Maki like this.

13. So, I noticed that some of the remaining songs are missing proper artworks (including one of the next eliminations), and spent time making artworks instead of doing a write up for the next cut, and now there's no time for me to finish either of them.

[​IMG]

Anyways...

Have you safely landed on Chromatica? Did you decide to stay or to get a return ticket as soon as possible?

Was it:
    [​IMG]

Or:
    [​IMG]

Let me know.

14. berserkboi, Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  15. I had a reasonably good stay on Chromatica, although I wish that I'd left before "Babylon."

This is going to sound ridiculous because we're discussing Gaga, but I'm not the biggest fan of when Gaga goes full camp.

Edit: Here's my ranking of Chromatica's tracks:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  16. I'll be listening in about 5 years - that's how old I like my new music to be! ;) Ddddddd

Phonetics Boy and Maki like this.
  17. I saw it as soon as I posted here, haha. There are some things we agree on.
    That is surely unconventional, but I can understand (and partially even agree with) that.
    I presume your favourite Gaga album must be "Joanne"? (and "A Star Is Born", if it counts as one)

Good luck experiencing "Joanne" next year, then!

elektroxx and berserkboi like this.
  18. Actually, I'd probably say that my favorite album was The Fame Monster. Although it does have campier moments, I feel like it has a certain level of finesse that her later material lacks.

Maki, berserkboi and Untouchable Ace like this.
  19. I'm amongst the disappointed ones with Chromathiccer.

It sounds very neutered and sanitized for me. But at the same time I'm happy to have new Gaga music, and to feel she's in a happy place, that she needed to do this record - I just wish the production was better overall.

I'll be keeping Rain On Me, Alice, 911, Babylon and Replay for sure, Sine From Above once I get past the Eurovision on roids feeling.

Untouchable Ace, Crisp X and Maki like this.
  20. BUMP
    [​IMG]

Laurence, Crisp X, BreatheBox and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.