Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (#21 - Emo phase/moment) | Page 42 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (#21 - Emo phase/moment)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Nice to see your thoughts on the album - "Chromatica" has been divisive, unsurprisingly.

Anyways, we continue with the eliminations, and this one is quite fitting, considering the previous sentence.

And when I get back from outer space...

...I'm gonna punch him in his face...

[​IMG]

Future Love (live)

Average score: 6.934

Highest scores:
    11 x 1 (@myblood), 10 x 4 (@DinahLee, @yeRleDanaL, @TéléDex, @Laurence)
    Lowest score: 2 x 2 (@AshtrayHeart, @soratami)
    My score: 7

High peak: #28 (34 voters)
    Low peak: #49 (15-16 voters, 18-20 voters)

And we keep eliminating ballads - four in a row, three of which have received an 11. And we lose the final live-only song, too. Now, "Future Love" has had one of the most adventurous leaderboard trajectories. For the majority of the voting period, it was actually the lowest placed song from "The Fame Monster" sessions section, even below "Superstar" (which left at #42), before starting to gain and eventually receiving two 10's among the final three voters, which propelled it to its high peak position at the very end. And that happened only a few times in the entire rate.
    @myblood must be ecstatic because of that.

"Future Love" was written solely by Lady Gaga in late 2008 or early 2009. It's been performed 25 times, during the original set list of The Fame Ball Tour, starting at March 12th, 2009, as well as once at the amFAR New York Gala (February 10th, 2010).
    The version I included in the rate has a surprisingly clear sound and is in high quality, almost making it sound like it's a studio recording, but it most likely isn't. Obviously, the recording is very raw and she literally messes up the lyrics in the first verse. Also, Lady Gaga said the song doesn't have a studio version because she felt that the song was already alive with the fans singing it. The song was uploaded onto Lady Gaga's BMI in February 2010, and there is no publisher name, further suggesting that it was never recorded in a studio. However, as of June, 2017, there are now publisher names listed.
    Honestly, I don't know whether this can be counted as a studio version or not, but it remains labelled as a live one, so it stays that way.

I really like "Future Love" and think that it's a great song, but I've never really grown to love it. Similarly to "Captivated", it's a piano ballad with slight jazz-influences, but has a properly structured melody and a playful vocal delivery (including the stuttering).
    What is very notable about this song are the lyrics. Damn, they are amazing. The consistently spacey/future theme going on, full of lovely metaphors and play on words, including the genius Gaga tongue-in-cheek line "I want to f-f-f you hard as I can" is so impressive. I can't even highlight a single lyric or line, because all of them are worth a mention.
    The song structure may seem a bit unconventional upon first listen, but when you break it down, it has a two verses, two pre-choruses, two choruses, two post-choruses and an outro, which isn't unusual. I love the pre-chorus and chorus the most, she sounds divine and the melody is lovely. Her vocals are so controlled yet with an emotional edge, and she evokes the lyrics so well with that delivery, like she's telling a story.
    And those raspy vocals in the outro are quite something - I love that part. Overall, an undeniably good ballad, but not one of her best.

I forgot to mention that this is a relatively divisive song, having four 10's (the most so far) and one 11, and the lowest scores being quite low, it had pretty much the same amount of big fans and detractors.
    Anyways, this did amazingly well for a 5-minute long ballad that was sung live and I think it left just at the right time.

The commentary isn't entirely positive and not everyone was keen on the song, but those of you who were, loved it.

One of the highest scorers, @Laurence (10), stans the song and mentions his talented sister again: "This is so lovely! I think my sister can play it on the piano too. She should create an account here and rate too. Too late for that now though. But alas, a lovely track. Sad I did not see it live cuz I missed the Fame Ball while I was on vacation in Singapore. But what a fantastic track this is? I relate - of course. Gosh. I like the space theme and it certainly works personally for Gaga to. Then the twist that it is a rubber man, just beautiful." and throws a GIF along with it:
    [​IMG]

And your sister taking part was a great idea! @Sprocky'sBF and @DJHazey'sMom are some of the non-Popjustice members who have already taken part in several rates.

High praise comes from @yeRleDanaL (10), too: "Even though it's a live recording, this song is so good. How can a ballad-ish song get stuck in my head so easily. There's another song I listen to (that I can't think of right now) that had a similar chord progression to the "My mascara runs in constellations" part of the song, and every time i hear it my mind goes right to this song. The lyrics are super strong, and I wish that it got an actual release! I am imagining the electronic/spacey influence on this song." Yes, the lyrics are the highlight of the song for me. And @DinahLee (10) will surely agree with that: "This song is fantastic. It’s just one of these things that are so well elaborated that you wonder how tf did someone think of it??" Only Gaga and her talent.

But not all of you were overly keen on this ballad.
    Quite aptly, @berserkboi (6.1) throws shade in the Whitney's fashion: "Nice vocals, beautiful vocals! The rest a bit throwaway!", which I didn't expect, and @DominoDancing (6.5) seems to agree with him: "Musically this sounds a bit like she's improvising everything in the moment. I find the astro-lyricism cute, but that's about it."
    Meanwhile, @M24 (7) does a little connection game: "This is too long. And I can't even remember how it goes after listening to it. I find it funny that she sings "I want your future love". Queen of reusing the same sentences on love." Now, if we compare the rest of the lyrics for these two songs... the decay.

Speaking of connections, our meta-king @pop3blow2 (8.4) says: "The stuttering ‘fu-fu’ parts are very clever. Well played, Gaga." Love that you noticed that! @Pat (8) thinks that: "This is a great throwback." and I can't relate, unfortunately. But I must imagine it must've been wild to be a Lady Gaga fan back in 2008/2009 and now am kind of jealous of that.

The final word goes to the 11-giver, @myblood: "My score isn't bloated just to help an obscure favorite of mine. I really do think Future Love is one of Gaga's best compositions (if not the best).
    It has all the silly metaphors, odd structure, and powerful yet sensible vocals that make me love so many of her songs. And that's Including the Gibberish Post Chorus (™).
    Future Love just captures the thrill and joy that comes with realizing you're in love, as well as the fear of being heartbroken.
    Always been one of my favorites since the first time I heard it 8 years ago. Beautiful and endearing in every way.
    Also, for the longest time, this was the only tweet she ever liked on Twitter. Poor every other song in her discography."

What a lovely way to end this write up.

"If only I could reboot my mechanical heart..."

Next up: One of the sections is about to get a cull. It includes some of my favourites, too.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    pop3blow2, yeRleDanaL, abael and 10 others like this.
  2. I was going to say that this was the right choice as the first elimination from the Fame Monster era, but then I remembered that we'd already lost "Superstar."

The Pre-Fame era could do with a cull, tbh.

3. Missed the conversation earlier, but I stan everything on Chromatica!

4. this performance is so iconic oh my god hahaha those youtube videos about how the dancer looked angry or whatever were....something

Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  5. I STAN future love!!!

yeRleDanaL and Maki like this.
  6. Future Love is f-f-fantastic!

yeRleDanaL and Maki like this.
  7. Future Love is so cute. To me it's Brown Eyes little sister. It's sung with such honesty and conviction, I do wish it got an official release.

"My mascara runs in constellations" is such a brilliant lyric and it paints such a beautiful image. Ugh, this woman.

8. Hint for the next elimination:
    [​IMG]

9. about time!!!

10. I think Panty Party sounds like a more boring and stuttery version of Glitter and Grease.

berserkboi, Maki and Untouchable Ace like this.
  11. I'm not happy with this one going.

But, more importantly, we find out which section is getting slacked...

Welcome to the Panty Circus!

Ladies and gentlemen, Lady Gaga!

[​IMG]

Panty Party

Average score: 6.963

Highest score:
    10 x 2 (@HEARTCORE, @DinahLee)
    Lowest score: 3 x 1 (@pop3blow2)
    My score: 9.5

High peak: #24 (10 voters)
    Low peak: #39 (15 voters)

So, "The Fame" sessions is the section which will be culled. But how many songs? Well, you'll find out.
    "Panty Party" is actually one of the songs I thought would get more love, but it didn't really meet with my expectations, unfortunately. It didn't get much high nor low scores (most of them being around a 7), but steadily paved its way to a higher placement. At least I'm glad it went top 30, given what could've been. Also, I think @man.tis.shrimp would've given this a 10 if he took part, right?

Unlike a lot (actually, all) of the songs in this rate, "Panty Party" was written by Lady Gaga, Brian Kierulf and Joshua Michael Schwartz (KNS Productions) and produced by that duo in 2007. The song is among the rare ones to have an exact date assigned to them. This time, it's May 2nd of 2007, which implies that this could be the first time Gaga worked with other producers, after Fusari started introdcing her to other producers. The is around when she developed the concept for "The Fame", but still didn't have that song recorded, ironically. The KNS Productions collaborated with Gaga on at least two more songs - one of them is a fan favourite album track "Summerboy" (obviously released on "The Fame") and the other one is called "Heiress", which yet has to surface (and I'm very intrigued to hear that one). Finally, it surfaced online 10 years later, in December of 2017.
    I'm surprised to find out that it was never performed live. I thought this could've been a staple for her and Lady Starlight's shows. Interesting that it never happened.

"Panty Party" is one of my favourites in this rate. If not in my top 10, I would surely place it among my top 15 unreleased songs. It's just... well-crafted. From the beginning, with Gaga introducing herself and the stomping beat leading into the verses delivered in her own attitude and fashion. The entire circus-y feel of the song, including bells, horns and xylophone, Gaga's goofy lyrics, the playful and quirky delivery. It all just bursts with creativity and fun. From the hilarious theme of the song, the piano lines popping up here and there, it's full of hooks and amusing moments. Panty Circus, indeed. The chorus is an absolute joy. Such a catchy, yet delightful melody is quite rare for her during the early development of the debut album. And I love this detail during the chorus - the saxophone playing on one ear, while the guitar on the other is quite a genius moment. And then the synths that come during the final chorus, which follow the melody are an amazing addition. Such a great production for something that's labelled as a "Rough Mix" in its working file title. And the post-chorus, while not for everyone, is her "oh-oh-oh-oh..." ad-libs delivered in an quite aggressive way, which I happen to really like, too.
    The lyrics, like I've said, are typical and suggestive Gaga-isms, but this verse in particular stands out:

Who's that girl runnin' round
    With no clothes on, heels in the ground
    Almost famous on the scene
    She looks like a celebrity

It's like she presents herself, or even herself and Lady Starlight, (which most likely is the case, especially considering the rest of the lyrics) and mentions being on the verge of being famous. Impressive. "Hollywood" did this prediction, too.
    And I had no idea what the word "fanny" meant in the pre-chorus. Oh dear.

The only thing I'm not completely keen on is the delivery of the pre-chorus but I'm sure the song will become a 10/10 for me eventually. Overall, I really think this should've appeared on "The Fame", even as a bonus track. It's just too good to remain unreleased, and feels essential to her theme.
    Such a pity that it didn't do better here, but at least I hope some of you made a discovery.

Oddly enough, just by reading the commentary, you'd think that the song is well-loved (apart from @pop3blow2's comment). Unfortunately, that wasn't the case in the actual rate, but oh well.mp3

Finally losing his lowest score in the entire rate, @pop3blow2 (3) says: "Nothing here works for me." Well, I didn't expect the lack of taste from you, especially considering that this is your least favourite out of all 60 songs. Not cool.
    @Seventeen Days (7.25) will need time for it: "Probably one that would grow on me the more I listen to it. It’s cute, but cute next to gorgeous and all that." and @Untouchable Ace (8.6) simply says: "Glamorous." And there are so many songs where Gaga mentions that word.

@spaceship (7) got it: "I love the guitars and overall melody", while @DominoDancing (7) is hard to please, despite giving it the same score: "Another one that feels like it should be...more animated? A bit faster? At least it's got a moderately catchy chorus." We agree that the chorus is great, at least.
    I hope @M24 (8) listened to the lyrics of other songs, as he says: "It's not bad at all, the lyrics are kinda cringy though." and @Laurence (7) just ran out of ideas: "This is nice, but I don't have a lot to say about it." I don't blame you, given that you wrote commentary for every single song (and thank you for that).
    Someone who would decline an invitation to a panty party is @Pat (6.5), who thinks it's a: "fun outtake, but not something I would listen again." How aren't you hooked on that chorus?

I assume that, after hearing this song for the first time, @DinahLee (10) probably went like "uh-oh, I lost my wig" and therefore decided to stan talent: "Another 10. One of the songs that were in the battle for the 11. I listened to this on loop for a few weeks. Obsessed. That chorus. The double-meaning. Another EarlyGa song where things came along and there was something to show. I’d pick it as my fourth single for the Retro Physical record." I agree that this was a missed opportunity to appear on "The Fame".

And @berserkboi (8) is just glad that she moved away from pop rock: "More great bop than annoying vocal affectations ruin this! The way forward I hope!" It went forward indeed, and my average score for this era justifies that.

What can I say? Get glamorous, perhaps get naughty, and listen to the song until it clicks.

"Spanky pants, curious / Bubble wrapper, furious..."

Next up: One of the fan-favourites will fall.

12. I knew I should've posted that image before "Fancy Pants" was eliminated, so that it would've been less obvious.

I liked this post, but still disagree with this. "Panty Party" is not boring a single bit, and the stuttering was a norm for Gaga at the time.

This isn't necessarily a fan-favourite, but I would certainly classify it as one, simply because of the reactions towards that song, without taking this rate into consideration.

elektroxx and berserkboi like this.
  13. I dont know... it just did not capture me at all and made me very tired..but i think it's also very cool that she worked with 'Britney' (the album) producers Brian & Josh on this track and Summerboy (much better sorry!)

Maki likes this.
  14. Hmmm... Maybe it's Glitter and Grease? That's so well known... Or Vanity?

15. We certainly know it's not either of them, because both belong to the Pre-Fame section, and, like I've mentioned earlier, we're losing songs from "The Fame" sessions in a row.

16. I feel that it's either Fashion or The Greatest Thing.
    I still haven't fully clicked with Fashion to be honest.

Phonetics Boy and Maki like this.
  17. Filthy Pop and New York can sashay away.

Maki likes this.
  18. Y'all better not have done "Fashion" dirty. Yes, it is not quite as iconic as Heidi Montag's take on the track, but it slaps!

19. At least one of you mentioned the song which is leaving next. Since there's no time for me to do an elimination today, I'll keep you in suspense whether it's "Fashion" or another song.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.