Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (#21 - Emo phase/moment) | Page 45 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (#21 - Emo phase/moment)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Okay, let's see which song we're actually losing...​

Well, sometimes you get what you don't want...

I see your permanently broken heart...

[​IMG]

The Greatest Thing

Average score: 7.019

Highest score:
    10 x 2 (@berserkboi, @Laurence)
    Lowest score: 3 x 1 (@HEARTCORE)
    My score: 8.5

High peak: #24 (34 voters)
    Low peak: #43 (5 voters)

Yes. "The Fame" sessions section cull continues. "The Greatest Thing" wasn't one of the divisive songs, but also not really consistently scored, since it received a variety of different scores, as you'll see in the commentary. What is notable about this one is that it managed to hit its peak position at the very last voter (and, coincidentally, the song is at #24 in my own ranking, too).

"The Greatest Thing" has a pretty interesting background. It was written in late 2007 by Lady Gaga and RedOne, which is nothing unusual. However, the fun part is that it was supposed to be released as a duet with Cher in 2011 or 2012.
    Gaga talked about the song's initial background a bit: "I wrote that song a long time ago, and I've never put it on one of my own albums for, really, no particular reason. [...] I always write these concept records, and it just didn't fit in. But it's always been, like, this big, massive, beautiful hit record and everyone always says, 'Why don't you put that on your album?' And I said, 'I don't know, it just doesn't fit with everything else.' "
    She had a point, but it's a pity that it remained unreleased in any forum.
    The song samples the classical piece, "Canon in D Major", and RedOne described the song this way: "I think it's timeless. The beautiful thing about this song is, it's very uplifting, very uplifting. It's emotional, but it has dance on it, and it has a dance vibe on it. It's just a timeless song. You can play it with the guitar, the piano, with whatever instrument you want. You can sing it a acapella, you know what I mean, it's that kind of song" With a different production, it has much potential to be timeless indeed.

Back to Cher's version. RedOne sent her the song in 2011, and she liked it and decided to record it the same year. Later. The entire timeline is found on Lady Gaga's Wikia fandom page, as it follows:
    The version with Gaga was supposed to be released in September of 2011, but that was delayed because of some contract issues. Later, it was reveals that Gaga didn't like the final mixing and the edit of her vocals on the song, and it was scrapped for that reason.
    A messy planning that eventually led to nothing, except from the leak of Gaga and Cher's duet demo in August 2013, which had things completely sealed and Cher's album "Closer to the Truth" coming out the following month had no trace of the song.

That brings me to the mistake I've made in compiling the playlist. While I did include the original 2007 demo version of the song, I completely forgot to put the duet with Cher, mainly because I thought it was fan-made, before realizing that the lyrics are different and that it has a middle-8, too, but it was too late by then. Sorry for that, and I don't know how much that would've affected its placement.

I really like "The Greatest Thing". It's such a cute little tune and, when you get past the autotune, the melody is rather lovely. The sentiment in the lyrics is very well portrayed in the adorable melody. Also, I must compliment that, besides the male chanting 'hey hey' bits, the production is a bit more innovative when it comes to RedOne. Cher's version includes the second verse with different lyrics, and anadditional middle-8, which is nice, but I'm not too keen on the overly early 2010's production. After all, both versions are demos. I agree that it could've been improved, but this is great for a unreleased song. Still, it's not the greatest thing.
    It left at the perfect spot, but there are several songs I would've like to see out before this one.

However, not everyone was totally here for it.

@Sprockrooster (8) had problems with voice effects: "This easily could have a been a 10 if it wasn't for that awful voice decoder.", while @berserkboi (10) mentions it, too, but stans nonetheless: "The autotune should annoy me but it is actually lovely in the dreaminess the whole track conveys!" I really like this description. Proving that the effect is polarizing, @DominoDancing (4) makes it clear: "Hate the auto-tune on this, and the song is super cheesy. A hard no from me." and I wonder what does he think of "Starstruck".
    @pop3blow2 (9.5) has a nice idea: "This is a song just searching endlessly for a Disney movie to be an outro credits songs to. I mean, maybe the Disney Channel, but a Disney movie none-the-less!" This actually makes sense, no matter how much I frowned when I first read this.

Bringing up the flaws, @SyPOPhantic (8.5) is here for the song: "I really like this one, even if it’s a bit cheesy it works for me. However, @spaceship throws it a 6 and says: "I find this a bit overrated …" and @Untouchable Ace (6.3) is not sold on it, either: "It's too derivative of her first album and is really just nothing in this state, male chanting and all." Maybe the beefed up fan-made version I posted below will appeal to you much more.
    @Seventeen Days (5.75) gets shady: "Oh hey, drum pattern from “Poker Face”. They must’ve heard it during the sessions and thought it would go better on another track. (They were… right.)"

@Laurence (10) goes back in time: "I love this so much. Really played this a damn lot when it came out. I remember it was first Party Baby or something when it leaked, a snippet together with Don't Call My Name (Alejandro) and Bad Romance. What a time was that. So long ago. I still love the Alejandro demo, so raw. But lets stay on topic. Is there not a final one out there of the Gaga solo? I know the duet with Cher which never officially saw the day of course, right? The curse at that time was pretty hard. This song is so uplifting. Her first RedOne track right? These synths are so lovely. And the "hey, hey" background we also hear on other tracks, a RedOne ism. Love this track, the vibe of it all and a joyous love song to another." I guess you would like to turn back time.
    But will you be able to pay @CorgiCorgiCorgi's (8) dental bills? She says: "This song gave me a cavity"

@Pat (9) brings up something that I didn't know (and it's not the Cher duet): "Love this, we never got the full solo version of this, right? Cuts off around the 2 minute mark. Oh well, at least we always the duet version with Cher." Now that's why the final note was awkwardly cut before the final chorus. @M24 (9) gives it the same score and mentions that, too: "Very atmospheric, and cute lyrics (though a bit repetitive). I bop. Wish it didn't end so abruptly." Now I really regret not including the Cher duet version.

There is literally no trace of the original 2007 demo version of this song that I made you rate, so no link for that one.

Duet with Cher demo:

A very possible fan-made solo version, with 2011 demo vocals:

Next up: One of my faves leaves, but only one voter gave it a 10 (and it's not me).

Crisp X, Pat, pop3blow2 and 12 others like this.
  2. At least it wasn't "Fashion."

Crisp X, 4Roses, spaceship and 7 others like this.
  3. WHAT? It samples Pachelbel - Canon In D Major.? I never knew. Wew.

Also, yeah the duet version is great too. Perhaps if that was included, it would have scored a few places higher. But a lovely track. Full leak please!

spaceship, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  4. I truly find this... terrible nn. But I kinda respect it's story. Also interesting to mention that stems leaked.
    I didn't remember that it was THAT different from the Demo actually.

Crisp X, spaceship and Maki like this.
  5. I've got a bad feeling that I'm losing one of my 14 remaining 10s...

Maki, SyPOPhantic and VitaminBee like this.
  6. For me, The Greatest represents that time RedOne really started losing his touch. The production is super basic and formulaic.

It has a nice melody though but I don’t know ... it never really clicked with me.

7. Isn't is his first or second song they made? Rip

Untouchable Ace, spaceship and Maki like this.
  8. I -

This is brand new information for me. The song itself is nice, it’s just that the ‘final’ version is very Eurovision and not the good kind.

Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  9. According to Gagapedia, RedOne and Gaga wrote Boys Boys Boys as the first song together, and then The Greatest Thing... Well.. He certainly lost touch soon for you.

10. Paper Gangsta, Scheiße and Alejandro are peak RedOne for me.

11. "The Greatest Thing" is cute, but a bit too cheesy for my liking. I think that it'd work better as a solo track for Cher, as I'd personally want a duet between Cher and Gaga to have a bit more edge.

Maki, sesita and spaceship like this.
  12. I haven't been following this rate, but I'm going to be very interested to listen to the 23 songs that were eliminated before a legitimately amazing, serene, beautiful, gay lost classic by Gaga and fucking CHER.

Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  13. Like you've mentioned, "Boys Boys Boys" was their first song, and "The Greatest Thing" followed not too long after.

I didn't know about that. Now it makes sense that there are two separate Cher and Gaga 2011 versions of the song.

I agree that the generic production of the duet lets it down, but it's interesting to see how the song evolved before going... nowhere.

Welcome! And there are 26 songs we've already eliminated. Or were you referring to the 23 songs that have yet to leave the rate?

14. Preach! "Alejandro" and "Paper Gangsta" are among my ultimate Lady Gaga faves.

Speaking of RedOne, the only two remaining songs in this rate that he produced are "Fashion" and "Freakshow". We'll see how long these to will hang around.

Also, any guesses for the next cut?

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  16. "Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate"

[​IMG]

Just kidding @Maki, still looking forward this top10!!

17. Oh my goodness - drag me, I deserve it!
    Thanks for reminding me to revive this thread and sorry for not saying anything for days, so let me update you a bit.

As some of you know, the Christina Aguilera rate is currently accepting scores, and of course I waited to send mine as close to the deadline as possible .
    First Kylie, then Madonna and now Christina - all massive rates. I think it's best that I stay away from other rates for a while after I send scores in the Xtina one (which is in about two days).

Will the eliminations finally continue regularly after that?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  18. Now that I've rated most of Christina's songs (the voting deadline has been extended), I can say that the eliminations should continue tomorrow!

19. BUMP
    [​IMG]

20. Oops... I can't count.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.