Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (#21 - Emo phase/moment) | Page 46 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (#21 - Emo phase/moment)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Moving on...

And guess what?

It's another "The Fame" sessions track.

They keep singing West Coast weather is better...

...but it don't matter cause I love you and I'll never let go!

[​IMG]

New York

Average score: 7.219

Highest scores:
    10 x 1 (@HEARTCORE), 9.5 x 2 (@Ana Raquel, @Maki)
    Lowest score: 3 x 1 (@sesita)
    My score: 9.5

High peak: #17 (6 voters, 7 voters)
    Low peak: #26 (17 voters)

"The Fame" sessions really suffered. Five eliminations in a row. From seven songs in the top 20 down to only two of them. Poor it. I guess that it's fair to say that "The Fame" sessions cull is finally over.
    Even though it got a fair amount of high and mid scores and dipped below top 20, "New York" ended up being in the top 3 of this section, along with "Fashion" and "Fooled Me Again", which is quite a feat. Now, for how long will these two last? Hm...

"New York" was written in 2007 by Lady Gaga and Rob Fusari, for her debut album. Important to note is that it is one of the last songs she made with Rob, and I think it is quite obvious when you listen to it. We know "Paparazzi", and this one kind of has some. It definitely is a representation of the more developed sound and is something more akin to "The Fame". Another interesting thing about it is that it was allegedly supposed to be a single from the re-release of "The Fame". There is actually a thread on this very forum with that song in question, but obviously it didn't lead up to anything. I assume the title of the song was known, and the fans most likely made up the rumor, which quickly concluded with Gaga confirming "The Fame Monster" during the same month. Finally, the song surfaced online in December 2017.

I love "New York" and find it very interesting, despite seemingly being a typical Gaga track at the time. This homage to her hometown is a missed opportunity that wasn't released on "The Fame". The way the electronic (or, as one of the voters more accurately said, electroclash) beat kicks in, you really are in for a treat. The synths altering with beats, clicks and swirls may seem a bit chaotic, but it all comes together in an amazing way. For that reason, it's really cool to listen to it on headphones. Those verses are so well done and I adore the melody, while the autotuned pre-chorus kind of feels out of place and I yet have to get used to it. But when the chorus comes in, it justifies why the song is excellent - such a catchy and stellar Gaga-esque melody. Gaga gives that robotic delivery, which was pretty much signature for this era, but doesn't hold back during the second half of the middle-8, and serves some vocals with those ad-libs. And the lyrics are actually great and flow so well with the melody - I love how she remains her edge from a lyrical point of view, but doesn't have any straight up 'WTF' moments, which was the case with most of the Pre-Fame songs. Also, "smoke, smoke, baby, like a motorbike", "take your trash to my junkyard site" and "been in your skies, I will fly my kite" is a low-key iconic pairing of lines. The only thing that prevented me from giving it a 10, apart from the pre-chorus, is the repetitiveness of the middle-8 and post-choruses.
    Anyways, this remains a genius song that should've been included on "The Fame" and reached top 20 in this rate.

Let's get the haters out of the way first. @Sprockrooster (4) complains and says: "The autotune is really horrible here." There is not too much autotune on "New York" and now I assume you hate "Starstruck", which uses a ton of it. @DinahLee (4) is also having some questionable opinions: "This is straight up bad tbh and the rumors that “The Fame re-release with a song called New York” were a crime." This would've been a great re-release song, so I don't know what you're talking about. Hoping you change your mind on this one.

Some of you weren't really sure about it. For example, @Pat (6.5), who says: "Another one that starts really interesting, but then kinda lets down. Overall it’s quite enjoyable though." It's definitely enjoyable throughout. @Music Is Life (7) thinks that "It’s a little annoying." Looking at that score, I think he hates it, but we'll leave it there.

@DominoDancing (8) "This is pretty cool. Really like some of the vocal manipulation, which slightly remind me of Kylie's Speakerbox." Um, "Speakerbox"? idontknowher.gif (jokes aside, I do get what you're talking about, now having participated in the Kylie rate)
    I definitely agree with @Laurence (8) who says: "This is almost the top tier of these tracks here, clearly a stand out. I like it." Nice to see that you consider it a standout, too. @M24 (8.75) also recognized the potential in this song, saying: "Great chorus, even if the verses kind of bore me (otherwise I'd give it a 9)." Someone who did give it a 9 is @berserkboi, and he is with me on this one: "I think this would be worthy of The Fame, I’ll take it!!" and @Seventeen Days (9.25) joins the taste club: "YAS electroclash Gaga. This one was an instant like." If only there were more voters with this viewpoint.

I couldn't find any trace of the song online, and even tried uploading it myself, without success.
    But here's a dodgy link just because it's a pity that a song this good vanished from the internet.

Next up: We lose a song from the 'neighboring' section of "The Fame" (i.e. either from Pre-Fame or Monster sessions).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  2. I'm glad that I was able to accurately predict the elimination of "New York."

And honestly I would have no issue with losing any of the tracks from the Pre-Fame sessions. Y'all better leave the Fame Monster tracks alone.

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  3. The sad part of me being such an old man is that I barely remember how any of the tracks left go when we get to the Top 20/10/5 by the time they are revealed, and I forget which were my favourites to properly comment on what I'd like gone next. The worst part of it all? It is also true for the rates I run, unless I've grown up with the music Dddddd

Phonetics Boy, Crisp X, Maki and 2 others like this.
  4. New York never properly clicked with me. It's interesting for sure, but I find it really disjointed, an experiment that doesn't quite work out.The pre-chorus especially really takes me out, it feels like a song made for an English listening practice.

I love it when Gaga sings about New York because you can tell how much she loves it and is inspired by it, but this isn't my cup of tea at all.

Phonetics Boy and Maki like this.
  5. This rarely happens to me, unless I really skim through the song list in order to get my scores in time (which did happen with your rate oop I'll catch up, I promise). And you shouldn't worry about not remembering the remaining songs - just take a look at your scores and call for your lowest ones.
    The unintentional shade of me not doing the eliminations regularly, though.

Yes, and I wanted to include it in the write-up, but eventually forgot. Do you have another request/prediction?

The hint about the next elimination is that it could easily fit in two of the sections.

sesita, Laurence, elektroxx and 2 others like this.
  6. Is "Glitter & Grease" still in this? Perhaps that'll go next.

Maki likes this.
  7. Yes, it's still in. Here's a recap of what's been eliminated so far:

60. World Family Tree (3.860)
    59. Fountain of Truth (4.737)
    58. Master Heartbreaker (4.838)
    57. You're All My Little Monsters (5.163)
    56. Cake Like Lady Gaga (5.315)
    55. When She Go/Go, Go, Go (5.335)
    54. Your Freakin' Car (5.557)
    53. Stuck on Fuckin' You (5.904)
    52. We Are Plastic (Melt In the Summer) (5.968)
    51. Changing Skies (6.153)
    50. Words (6.225)
    49. Ribbons (6.226)
    48. Something Crazy (6.238)
    47. Posh Life (6.347)
    46. Fancy Pants (6.347)
    45. Electric Kiss (6.363)
    44. Blueberry Kisses (6.393)
    43. Oh Baby (6.394)
    42. Superstar (6.456)
    41. Shut Up (6.484)
    40. Reel Cool (6.507)
    39. Retrosexual (6.603)
    38. Red and Blue (6.609)
    37. No Floods (6.679)
    36. Shake Your Kitty (6.693)
    35. Kandy Life (6.725)
    34. Hollywood (6.728)
    33. Wish You Were Here (6.754)
    32. Sexy Ugly (6.775)
    31. Captivated (6.838)
    30. Oh Well (6.871)
    29. Spin U Around (6.896)
    28. Future Love (6.934)
    27. Panty Party (6.963)
    26. Filthy Pop (6.996)
    25. Take You Out (7.003)
    24. The Greatest Thing (7.019)
    23. New York (7.219)

Also, I've added the sections ranking so far, which can be found on the first page:

8. You're doing such a fantastic job @Maki, thank you so much for the effort, dedication and all the amazing write ups for every elimination!

Crisp X, elektroxx, Maki and 3 others like this.
  9. Ddddd oh my I meant Speakerphone. From the X album. Which apparently morphed into Speakerbox when writing the commentary.

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  10. Aw, I'm glad to hear that! If anything else, everyone who voted has to be thanked, since you all contributed to this rate equally.

The next elimination will be posted soon. Any predictions?

11. Turns out that I forgot to make the artwork for this song (even though it was prepared to some extent), so I had to do a bit of fetching on the image search.

Anyways, the next cut is...

...not "Glitter and Grease".

Well...

Wanna take a peek? Then open up the curtain...

[​IMG]
    (artwork found online)

Freakshow

Average score: 7.316

Highest score:
    10 x 2 (@Crisp X, @Laurence)
    Lowest score: 2 x 1 (@TéléDex)
    My score: 9.25

High peak: #15 (5 voters)
    Low peak: #22 (21/22 voters, 34 voters)

It's been a while since we had a write up for this type of song.
    "Freakshow" becomes only the third cut from "The Fame Monster" sessions. The domination is real... but the cull may be approaching, or not? We'll find out.
    I'm a bit sad to see it go so close to the top 20, especially since it was in the top 20 for the vast majority of the voting period. Also, it's one of those rare and unfortunate songs where its final position is their lowest.
    On a positive note, it became the second highest rated song that was produced by RedOne, leaving only "Fashion" (though it's not a big achievement, since there are only like 5 songs of that kind).

"Freakshow" was written in 2008 by Lady Gaga, Akon and RedOne, with RedOne taking care of the production. Technically, it belongs to "The Fame" era, but it was most likely recorded after the album was released (or at least after the recording sessions for her debut were finished), hence it was grouped with "The Fame Monster" sessions tracks. It's not certain whether the song was intended for Gaga's own project or recorded for another artist, although I assume the latter is more likely to be the case. It is not know why the song was scrapped. The song echoes back to a certain "The Fame" song, by including its title - "I Like It Rough" in the lyrics and also references another (superior) song with 'show' in its title - the unreleased gem we're rating, "Rockshow".
    After years of anticipation, "Freakshow" was leaked by DJ VH1 for the third anniversary of his book dedicated to Gaga, called "Rivington Was Ours". That occurred on September 8th, 2016, which is exactly one day before she floored us by releasing "Perfect Illusion", hence the song being overshadowed and less talked about compared to some of her other unreleased music.

"Freakshow" is just one damn good song. A pity that it wasn't used anywhere, but we're blessed to hear Gaga's version of it, so I won't complain too much. Definitely on a more dated side sonically - I mean, this is late 00's dance-pop sound mixed with R&B and a bit of a hip hop, which is reminiscent to Rihanna's "Disturbia". Quite a typical sound of that times, which is a bit nostalgia-inducing for me. During the verses, she kind of plays with the beat and does sort of a sing/rap thing really well, and then switching it up to the full-sung verses and chorus. And what a chorus it has! The harmonies are lovely, as is the melody and it proves it could've been a potential single. The underprocessed vocals with added effects, give away that this is just a demo, but there are some stellar ad-libs in the final chorus which should prove everyone wrong. The production is actually cool and I really like the beat and synths.
    The lyrics, like the song itself, are of its time and don't have enough of Gaga's signature edge at the time, which makes me think that it was written/recorded for another artist. The only part I'm not too keen on is the middle-8, which sounds clunky and doesn't do anything to me (ironically, it probably being the most Gaga-esque moment). The rest, though, is excellent and deserved more praise.
    Given which songs are still in the rate, this should've easily been in the top 20. I guess we're getting down to the real unreleased moments, so the competition is getting tougher and tougher.

The commentary was on a more divisive side this time.

Some of you stanned it. For example @Laurence (10), who says: "This leaked only quite recent eh? It's a beautiful track. By RedOne I guess? Those synths. I like it a lot and played it so much when it leaked." A recent leak and produced by RedOne indeed.
    @DominoDancing (8) says it's a: "Good song, perhaps a bit expected, but not bad at all." and @Petit nain des Îles (10) correctly proclaims: "One of her best choruses." Yes! I love the chorus, it really sounds like a single.

However, a good portion was either whelmed or underwhelmed.
    Despite having a bit of a lukewarm reception, @berserkboi (7.7) has a point: "Certainly a great song, and a beautiful melody, just lacks a little in the creative department compared with what Gaga would become known for…" I agree. Though I still bop.
    @Untouchable Ace (7.1) thinks that: "This would have suited Amercia Horror Freakshow." Sorry, I can't really say anything about this, since I don't watch that show. Did Gaga appear in it or am I making this up?

Remember when I said that the song sounds dated? The lowest scorer, @TéléDex (2), gets more brutal with that: "Sounds as badly aged as much of the chorus lyrics." Yikes. Although dated songs can sound good? @Seventeen Days (6) isn't impressed: "Eh… not one of Gaga’s better rap/sing tracks.", while @DinahLee (6) throws it the same amount of points and a clever shade along with that, saying: "Rockshow ended her." It really did.
    Sidenote: @DinahLee's comment was originally slotted with the other commentary on the "Rockshow" page (my mistake, of course), and then I was wondering why there are two comments by the same user. Yeah, figured it out, luckily.

I'm a bit confused by @M24's (8) comment: "It's ok, it does nothing for me. Which is weird, because I read this was another RedOne production, right? Guess they're collaborations are not always magical." Well, that's quite a high score for something that does nothing to you. Generous king! @Music Is Life who?
    And @Pat (7) sums up the experience with one sentence: "This really doesn’t excite me that much, but it’s a decent outtake." Put it on repeat until it grows on you, then.

"Cause I guarantee you've never seen a show like this before / Gonna show you something that you can't ignore..."

Next up: It's time for another section to have a cull. Has it already started with this one or is it another?

yeRleDanaL, Crisp X, Laurence and 6 others like this.
  12. Trigger threatening top 20 is a mystrry. Pull it out, Piglet.

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  13. I'm sad that The Fame Monster lost a track, but I'm not too sad that it was "Freakshow." I'm surprised to read that it is a RedOne production; when I first listened to it for this rate, I automatically assumed that it was a Darkchild production.
    Gaga didn't appear in American Horror Story until Hotel, which was the season that followed Freakshow.

berserkboi, Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  14. Yeah it just means that Gaga should have been in the show earlier than she was, more than the 2 seasons of American Horror Story she was in.

15. Awh, I love Freakshow, hence the 10. Shame it did not hit top 20.

Crisp X and Maki like this.
  16. Being one of the only unreleased songs I was familiar with beforehand, it also means Freakshow convinced me to participate in this rate.

17. Those with questionable opinions like this one can remain triggered.

Oh, yes, that's why the title looked looked familiar to me. Thanks for answering.

I apologize, but the connectivity problems made me unable to use a computer and therefore I wasn't able to finish up the next elimination post.
    Any guesses/predictions?
    Hint: I'm definitely not happy with that song leaving now (and at least five of you won't be happy about it, either).

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  18. I’m really curious about what’s leaving next (and anything after it) even though I really can’t even guess what it could be.

Maki, Untouchable Ace and elektroxx like this.
  19. Okay, so here's the thing. I promised an elimination today and was half-way done with its write up yesterday, and when I came back to finish it up a few hours ago, it was gone. Turns out it has passed over 24 hours since I last edited that post and saved it as a draft, so it deleted on its own. I'm pissed that it happened to this particular song.
    I'm never leaving an unfinished write up draft on this forum anymore. Sorry, but I assure you that we'll get to the top 20 tomorrow.

In the meantime, which song you don't want to see reach the top 20?

20. I'm hoping that it's "Glitter & Grease."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.