Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. My cat (and me) when "Shut Up" is playing:
    Shut up, Shuuuuuuut up
    I really don't care, I really don't care I

[​IMG]
    Shut up, Shuuuuuuut up
    I really don't care, I really don't care I

[​IMG]
    Shut up, Shuuuuuuut up
    I really don't care, I really don't care I...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  2. I’m working on them. Should have them next weekend.

3. I don't really feel comfortable rating unreleased songs, so I won't be participating.

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  4. Inspired by the previous small discussion...

It's time for a challenge/guessing game!

PM me your guess as to which song made @berserkboi's cat run away.
    Hint: It's not as obvious as it may seem.

You can send me your guess until the voting closes/eliminations begin.
    The user who guesses (or users who guess) correctly will receive a reward (I'm still not sure what it is, but there will be something).

5. Seeing one of the sections racking up votes in the poll, while some of its songs (including my faves) are struggling on the actual sheet.
    [​IMG]

One more voter and the second leaderboard tea will be ready!

6. What would you like as the next spotlight - a 'Lady Gaga before the fame: Part 3' or another 'Songs we could've rated' one?
    Whichever it is, I'll most likely post it on Wednesday.

Also:
    There have been only a few guesses so far, so I should invite some of the voters who didn't make a guess yet.
    @Phonetics Boy, @m_dimitrov, @elektroxx, @yeRleDanaL, @AllGagaLike, @everyone interested - want to try this ridiculous guessing game?

7. Since there were no suggestions, I'm going to continue with...

[​IMG]

Career beginnings, band and the big meeting (2004-2006) 1/2
    [​IMG]

Part 1/2: 2004-2005

I've decided to split the third part of this spotlight in two, because there are a lot of interesting details to cover and it will be too much to write in one post.

Last time, I mentioned Stefani's yearbook from 2004. Not to go into detail, she successfully graduated from the Convent of the Sacred Heart that year and this interesting photo sumps it up in the best way:
    [​IMG]
    The reality of 'didn't come to reunion' was 'she is storming the charts' - what kind of awesomeness is that?!
    and lol at "ordinary" people

Another photo from the yearbook:
    [​IMG]
    Who can spot Gaga (Stefani) gets a cookie.

Now we have a little copy-past thing here, because it sums up the circumstances better than I could:
    "At the age of seventeen, Gaga was one of twenty people in the world to have gained early admission to the New York University's Tisch School of the Arts (Collaborative Arts Project 21), where she studied music and theater at the Undergraduate Department of Drama. She moved to an NYU dorm on 11th Street. Each fall, the New York University's hall councils host an UltraViolet Live Preliminary contest. Stefani competed and won for her hall. At the same time, she honed her writing skills by composing essays and analytical papers focusing on topics such as art, religion and socio-policital order."

Our Stefani was developing at a fast rate, apparently. Unfortunately, apart from being bullied in high school for years, she had her detractors as soon as she graduated, too.
    Stefani’s University peers had a Facebook group dedicated to her, titled "Stefani Germanotta, you will never be famous", most likely created around 2005 and had 12 members.

The person who brought that memory up is Lauren Bohn, who was a freshman at NYC when she spotted the group. She acknowledged it in 2016 with a powerful Facebook post (and, damn, it's powerful):
    I mean, she says it all. Obviously, the group no longer exists (although there are some fake pages with the same title), but I'm so glad that someone brought up this lesser known fact and described how messed up it was. To only make things worse, Gaga confirmed that she was raped several times when she was 19 years old, which would've been at around the same time as this group was formed.

We can only imagine what Stefani was going through at the time, but I think there's no need to reflect on it.
    This photo is worth more than a thousand words:
    [​IMG]
    Oh, how the tables have turned.

And, finally, we get to her actual music career. Her first step (that unfortunately didn't come to fruition) was putting out a solo album. Yes, not only she recorded and planned to release songs from her demo EP back in 2002, but she had a full self-titled album in the stash. This was most likely a compilation of songs she recorded between 2001 and 2004/5. The album was supposed to be released in 2005, before Stefani herself scrapped it, but we don't don't know anything else about it. Here's how it was supposed to look:
    [​IMG]
    This just screams mid-00's singer-songwriter, doesn't it?

The photos that were used on the "Stefani Germanotta" cover were shot by Malgorzata Saniewska on 29th July, 2005 (and the photos from the same photoshoot will appear on some of the artworks in this rate, too) Unfortunately, it only remained as a super rare promo disc (i.e. one circulating copy). But who owned it?
    Well, Bob Leone - Gaga's former manager. And that's not the full story: In October 2010, Bob put up for auction unreleased demos that were gifts from Gaga. The demos included unreleased self-titled album and unreleased 4-track 2001 demo (which we mentioned in the previous part). And guess what? Gaga bought all of the demos for an undisclosed amount. Queen.

We'll most likely never hear any of the songs which could've been on the album (assuming that Gaga probably smashed it into pieces, poured gasoline and burned it). Welp, that's at least 10 less potential songs for this rate.

Since this project was cancelled, we should mention things that did happen. February 3rd, 2005 marked Stefani's first 'official' performance, where she sang her two original compositions: "Captivated" and "Electric Kiss" - and we're rating both of them (Spoiler: one of them is gaining on the spreadsheet, while the other one is starting to flop heavily - future voters, fix that!). Of course, I will talk more about that during the eliminations.
    Around the same time, Stefani withdrew from Collaborative Arts Project 21, in the second semester of her sophomore year, deciding to focus on her musical career. Her parents agreed to pay her rent for a year, on condition that she will be signed to a record label; instead, she would have to return to the university. Gaga was direct when describing the situation at the time, saying: "I left my entire family, got the cheapest apartment I could find, and ate shit until somebody would listen".

After having several performances, which were constituted of Stefani playing her piano-heavy solo songs, in mid-2005, she started thinking about forming a band and recording an EP, as well as a potential album. Also, she created her MySpace account at the time, where she shared her demos, as well as a web domain, called StefaniMusic, which was used for promoting her performances and music:
    [​IMG]
    July 28, 2005 - does anyone else get oddly nostalgic when seeing these old web pages? (even though I had no stable internet connection back in 2005)

[​IMG]
    October 13, 2005 - updated version of the site

In August/September of the same year, she and her 'manager', Frankie Fredericks, were properly planning on creating the band and started searching for and choosing the members.

To be continued...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  8. You know I'd love an extension.
    It's Inevitable.

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  9. Yeah, I haven't seen a rate that didn't have one, so we know it's bound to happen.

In fact, I think the extension will be useful for me, too, so...
    [​IMG]

10. Oh man, I wish artists released old demos more frequently. I'm sure a lot of them aren't salvageable, but there's generally quite a few hidden gems that never get to be heard.
    Oh Well (9).

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  11. These write-ups continue to be amazing. I'm curious how you came across all this information @Maki

12. Gaga never released any of her demos, I think? But you're right - the unreleased/demos/B-side collections are very rare. No Doubt's "Everything in Time" is a great example of that (and we'll be rating it in the upcoming discography rate #promo).
    Also, you could've said Oh Well.mp3 in order not to reveal your score.

Well, about half of them are from Gaga's Wikia (fan Wikipedia, or whatever it's called) and the rest is just random fun facts about her that I remembered and researched about them more.
    Glad you like the write-ups! The next one should be coming tomorrow.

13. Apart from Stuck On Fucking You and songs she allegedly leaked like Freakshow and Take You Out, I think she never did.
    The funny thing is that these songs get shelved for "future use" but artists always end up writing new songs for the following albums anyway dd

14. Oh, yes, "Stuck on Fuckin' You" is the only one she's deliberately shared. There are rumours that she put out "Brooklyn Nights", too, but I don't believe that.
    Yeah, Gaga has examples of 'to be used', but there are also cases of reusing certain parts of some unreleased songs.

There are 10 voters so far! The next leaderboard tea coming very soon.​

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.