Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 15 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. I started mine today! You should get them by tuesday at least.

myblood, Laurence, Maki and 2 others like this.
  2. I am going to rate this week, after I got bloody killed in Slasher X in round 1. So that won't take time.

3. Good, good, looking forward to your scores. I was expecting the later voters surge anyways, so no surprises here.
    Also, what's Slasher X?

soratami likes this.
  4. See the Off Topic forums

soratami and Maki like this.
  5. Just saw it. Definitely looks interesting and fun, but I can't pretend that I understood anything lol
    And I was convinced you're going to say it was some type of a 90's video game, based on its title.

soratami and Sprockrooster like this.
  6. Let's listen to and rate everything in one go! I'm not sure I'll do commentary outside of my 11 and my favorite songs though. I don't feel comfortable "judging" songs that aren't even fleshed out or finished, but we'll see.

soratami, Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  7. I already mentioned that this song will have its spotlight. It should satisfy @Sprockrooster (and @Music Is Life) at least...

[​IMG]

I Wanna Be With You
    Reason for not being included: a demo/early version of an officially released song

Next song that is getting a spotlights, and which just missed appearing in this rate, is this relatively well-known demo:

Sprocky wanted this one to be included, but it was eventually released in another form, so it had to be cut from the list, unfortunately.

"I Wanna Be With You" was written in late 2012 or early 2013, during "ARTPOP" sessions (sources tell me that Gaga is the only writer for this version). Obviously, it's a demo, which eventually became "Dope" and appeared on the album. Gaga first teased the song on twitter on February 10th, 2013, which included the lyric: "I would rather be poor and happy than rich and alone" and that's the first time it mas mentioned, too.
    Fans demanded for a professionally recorded version for years. On September 11th last year, the studio version finally surfaced, making it one of the latest Lady Gaga leaks.

She performed the song live on iTunes Festival (or, as she calls it, the SwineFest) on September 1st, 2013, before "Dope" was even released as a promotional single:

Emotional delivery and impeccable vocals, as we're used to from her ballad performances.

"I Wanna Be With You" basically has the exact same melody as "Dope", but is significantly different in other aspects. First of all: the lyrics. The song stemmed from her disappointment cancellation of the Born This Way Ball in 2013 and is dedicated to her fans after that occurrence. Using a bit less 'explicit' and raw lyricism, the line that's probably the most memorable one is "I would rather be poor and happy than rich and alone" (though I still can't decide if it's too on the nose or not), but is more direct and eloquent on delivering its message.
    Another thing that's noticeably different is the instrumental, especially in the second half. While "Dope" leans on the more 'experimental' approach that's more compatible with the rest of the album, using subtle synths and organ (which improves the song), "I Wanna Be With You" leans on more classical instruments, including drums. It definitely works more on "Dope". To quote myself:
    Vocals are more pleasant on "I Wanna Be With You", but that takes away from the emotional punch. Unfortunately, because of that traditional instrumental approach and more subtle vocals, it reminds of some of the "A Star Is Born" ballads (but some of her early, "Red and Blue" stuff, too), which is slightly off-putting and wouldn't really fit on "ARTPOP".

Anyways, I've always preferred "Dope" by a small margin, due to its more emotional edge and rawness. She sings the hell out of it, in the passionate yet uneasy manner. Even though it would've been a sonic highlight either way, it sonically fits the album more, due to having those electronic warbles buried underneath the piano. Also, the lyrics make much more sense on the album, especially coming after "Mary Jane Holland".
    It's one of her most underrated songs, I must admit, and the discography rate pretty much confirmed it (I mean #79 out of 89 songs is brutal treatment). In fact, it's in my "ARTPOP" trinity.

Whether you love it or hate it, you can't argue with the fact it being a #8 hit and that it brought the memorable teeth/outfit, as well as this iconic GIF:
    [​IMG]

Personally, I love this WTF fashion moment, which was used on the single cover, too:
    [​IMG]

And, finally, let's actually compare it to its successor and a top Billboard top 10 hit:

Since "Dope" received a 9,25 from me in her discography rate, I would've given "I Wanna Be With You" a 9, simply due to a minor lack of emotional punch. Both are excellent if you ask me.
    Which one do you prefer?​

myblood, soratami, Laurence and 6 others like this.
  8. Happy listening! Now, I can't remember if the playlist I sent you works, so I hope you're using it.

And you can always send me additional commentary after the voting deadline (until that particular song was eliminated, of course).

9. It did! I'm already writing more commentary than I expected. This time, I'm trying to not feel forced, especially if some songs just make me feel indifferent. I just move on to the next.

soratami, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  10. [​IMG]

Ballot sent x​

11. I would actually say that I Wanna Be With You has more emotional punch because of that Swinefest performance. A sure 10.

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  12. That performance is amazing indeed.
    But I don't think the production of the studio version does it justice, despite the emotional vocal delivery.
    And I'm most likely in the minority here preferring "Dope".

By the way, the bottom 10 of the leaderboard has finally had some movement. Meanwhile, the top 10 is so close at certain spots.

13. I never heard the studio version and I will not ruin another song. The amount of versions that were better at Swinefest is baffling. SWINE is literally one of the best live performances she ever did. And also Jewels 'N Drugs packs much more charisma and depth. Artpop is sounding much more vivid.

We want Swinefest on spotify (it will not because of I-tunes). But still!!!

14. Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  15. Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    berserkboi and soratami like this.
  16. berserkboi and soratami like this.
  17. berserkboi and soratami like this.
  18. berserkboi, soratami and spaceship like this.
  19. berserkboi, soratami and pop3blow2 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.