Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 16 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. berserkboi, soratami and evilsin like this.
  2. berserkboi and soratami like this.
  3. berserkboi and soratami like this.
  4. berserkboi and soratami like this.
  5. berserkboi and soratami like this.
  6. I will have to give this a pass since a) I’m doing many rates already and b) I’m not really fond of her unreleased stuff, at least the ones I heard.

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  7. No worries, good luck with the other rates! And you can always turn up during the reveals.

I'll try to write and post the fourth part of 'before the fame' spotlight tomorrow, so stay tuned!​

8. I'm over half done @Maki ... so it'll be close to the deadline, but they will be to you in time.

berserkboi, soratami and Maki like this.
  9. Hearing multiple versions of some of these songs and getting to pick the one you like best is quite a fun and different approach for a rate. It's really interesting how different some of the songs can sound with just some tweaked production.

myblood, pop3blow2, Crisp X and 4 others like this.
  10. Thanks, that seemed like an adequate solution and it's interesting indeed - "Filthy Pop", "Rockshow", "Blueberry Kisses" and "Fever" agree!
    And I decided to merge songs that have different lyrics and alternate melodies - "Love Sick Girl" and "Yay Ha", as well as "When She Go" and "Go, Go, Go", because the latter songs are basically demos for the former songs.
    Also, I made a few mess-ups while compiling those version, but I'll clarify that along the way (i.e. in their respective eliminations).

11. I can't remember which ones but they were a few songs I didn't notice any differences between the versions. Perhaps I'm going deaf.

soratami, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  12. Well...
    Oops, from those I can remember, I certainly posted two exact same versions of "New York", "Retrosexual", "Dirty Ice Cream" (there should've been a proper demo version for this one instead) and "Sexy Ugly", and potentially even more songs.
    Therefore, fear not, you're not going deaf. It's just that I didn't pay enough attention and assumed that the versions were different due to their titles.

13. Pat

Pat

I might join this. I don't really use her unreleased songs nowadays, but they were really fun to listen to during 'The Fame' era when we didn't have that much Gaga material yet and songs seemed to be leaking every week.

myblood, Laurence, berserkboi and 4 others like this.
  14. Ok, let me correct this, I think there are gems in five of the sections. One of the Red And Blue songs grew on me massively on repeat listens (shouldn't be hard to guess which).

berserkboi, Crisp X and Maki like this.
  15. I wish you would tell me which one it is... (at least I hope it's that one).

Started doing my next write-up, should be posted tonight.

16. I ended up loving many more songs than I expected. Outside of a few misses, I think her unreleased material ranges from passable to great.

17. I agree. There are only two songs I think are actually bad. Everything else is at the very least decent.

18. Penultimate part of this spotlight...

[​IMG]

Change in style, first contract and a rocky road (2006-2007) 1/2
    [​IMG]

Part 1/2: 2006
    It figures that there's a whole lot of things to say here, too, so I'm splitting this spotlight in two parts again.

Previously, we finished with this sentence:
    March 24th, 2006.
    (date not confirmed, but it was the last week of March for sure)

Stefani took the bus to Parsippany from the Port Authority (Fusari waited for her at the stop with Tom Kafafian, a musician from New Jersey) and then she hiked a quarter-mile down New Road to reach Rob Fusari’s recording studio, 150 Studios.
    Fusari recalls the first time he saw her and expressed disappointment: “We’re in the car and we see a girl through the window of this pizzeria. My buddy goes, ‘I think that’s her.’ I was hoping that wasn’t her. I had a clear vision of what she should look like and that wasn’t it. I was hoping to find someone who looked a little grungy, like they just rolled out of bed. She was more like a guidette, for lack of a better term.
    I had to search on Google what 'guidette' means, and he definitely chose the right word, hehe...
    At least he had to say something positive about that event, but remained doubtful: Still, there was something quirky about her. She was mixing the decades in terms of fashion. There was something very ’60s about her but also something sort of ’90s. My friend comes out with her and it’s a short ride back to the studio and I was thinking, ‘This ain’t gonna work.’ Well, Gaga is known for proving people wrong (in many different ways), and it was the case with Fusari, too. He asked to play something on the piano, and she started playing "Hollywood", a song initially intended for her band (which we're rating here), and it definitely made a huge impression, just like that performance from the day before. As he says: “Within 15 seconds, I’m like, ‘This is it. My life is about to change.’ While she’s playing, I’m on my phone e-mailing my attorney like, ‘I need a contract tomorrow.’ I totally saw superstar potential. I just didn’t know in what form or what genre it was going to be."
    Very soon, the two of them started writing music, along with Tom Kafafian, and eventually created a company called Team Love Child LLC on May 8th of the same year, as per her dad's request. The inspiration for the name of the company came from Stefani's description of herself being the hypothetical lovechild of David Bowie and Jerry Lee Lewis. It wasn't a record deal, but more of an private company where they could reach out for actual labels later.

[​IMG]
    New York, 2006 - piercing eyes indeed!

The first song they wrote and recorded was "Wonderful", which is very reminiscent to her SGBand. As we'll discuss the song more in detail during the eliminations, for now I'll say that the song was the basis of who Stefani presented herself as an artist to Fusari at the time. As more songs were recorded, they considered coming up with a different name as her stage moniker, because 'Stefani' doesn't sound like a groundbreaking artist name. While she was thinking about a possible moniker, one day, it all unexpectedly changed. Fusari explains: “Every day, when Stef came to the studio, instead of saying hello, I would start singing ‘Radio Ga Ga,’ That was her entrance song.” She received a message from Rob saying Lady Ga Ga. “It was actually a glitch,” says Fusari. “I typed ‘Radio Ga Ga’ in a text and it did an autocorrect so somehow ‘Radio’ got changed to ‘Lady.’ She texted me back, ‘That’s it.’ After that day, she was Lady Gaga. She’s like. ‘Don’t ever call me Stefani again.’ ” Gaga was there, and she decided to keep the 'Lady' for a more feminine touch. This was roughly in late spring of 2006. Eventually, it morphed into Lady Gaga (after keeping it as Lady GaGa for some time).
    And there you go: our record-breaking, Oscar-winning mega popstar's name came from an autocorrect mistake.

It is notable that Rob referred to Lady Gaga/Stefani as female Freddie Mercury at the time. One day, she was singing "Again Again" on the piano for Rob and he said to her "You are just so freakin' Freddie Mercury, you are so dramatic." He explained to her that the 'girl inside', the theatrical aspect of her, was the most interesting part.
    Let's remind ourselves of that name-changing song by the legendary group Queen:

Can't say that I'm a huge fan of this song, but I recently heard it on radio and it was a nice reminder.

Her friends started using the 'Gaga' nickname for her, and she really liked it. The name change also marked the disbandment of Stefani Germanotta Band (she left the poor guys without even saying anything to them, and one guy tried reaching out to her when she became famous, but her phone number was different).

Now, it's time for Gaga's Wikia to explain the course of Stefani and Fusari's music relationship in the beginning and me to copy-paste it here:
    "Over the course of four months, Gaga commuted from New York to Jersey seven days a week, radically reshaping her approach. They put their focus on writing rock songs as this was her favorite genre. She stopped doing live show and restarted only to perform as either Lady Ga Ga or Lady Gaga in late spring/early summer that year. A new PureVolume account was created in order to promote her music and her MySpace name changed to Lady Gaga. The songs posted on her personal pages were in the same continuity of her previous work. The new material were more polished but still between bittersweet rock ballads to power-pop rock with songs like "Brown Eyes" and "Wonderful". The reaction among their colleagues was negative about the sound they picked. They tried to use her as songwriter but that didn't work so well."

Yeah, so they went with that pop rock vibe, with a classic feel, which her suited and felt the most natural for her at the time, but it wasn't received as well as it should. On the other hand, her PureVolume account was a success. In June of 2006, Gaga became the most played artist at the site! The same month, "Wonderful" gained web radio airplay on iWebRadio and peaked at number two. Step by step...

Despite the success of her rockier songs, Fusari had an idea: “One morning, I was reading an article about how difficult it is for women to succeed in the rock genre. I loved what we were doing, but it wasn’t going to be an easy sell. I said, ‘Stef, what if we sit down today, abandon what we were going to work on and I’ll sit at the drum machine, do a beat and we’ll start with a more dance thing.’ She’s like, ‘No way. I’m not doing it.’ ”

Eventually, Gaga was convinced to try this out and the two completed the song the same day.
    The result? "Beautiful, Dirty, Rich".

That was the start of the style modification, especially the music one. As Fusari said, after recording the song: “We never went back to the rock stuff."
    While there are a few exceptions regarding that sentence, the change was sudden and quite drastic. And Gaga wasn't feeling it in the beginning. More about it in the next spotlight, as well as during the eliminations, of course.

[​IMG]
    November 4th, 2006 - in the recording studio. Now who's the real mo-mo-mo-monster here?

Apart from the music, there are much more changes yet to come.

To be continued...​

soratami, myblood, elektroxx and 8 others like this.
  19. I would call only one of the songs outright bad. There are definitely a few clunkers and annoying songs which deserve a lower score, but nothing as offensive as my least favourite.
    Which one it is, you'll find that out #soon.

soratami, Crisp X and berserkboi like this.
  20. These write ups are very cute. I'll for sure start rating today!

soratami, myblood, Maki and 1 other person like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.