Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 19 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Okay I am not at all caught up in the thread and have many posts to read but I just wanted to ask exactly when we need these in.
    Oh. Well that clears that up. I'll probably get mine to you tomorrow night, at the earliest.

soratami, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  2. Yeah, you will have most of the 1st available, so there's still some time left. The deadline isn't too strict.

I did a lot of catching up in your rate, too, hope you enjoy reading all these posts.

3. Thanks! Also today is the 30th here. I guess it was a bit late when I posted yesterday and got confused. I’ll probably get most done today and finish tomorrow

Untouchable Ace, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  4. I'm about halfway done, meant to do it this weekend but I was laid up in bed with a bad back. Will have my scores to you by this evening!

soratami, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  5. No worries!

Actually, you know what. I'm going to extend this to April 2nd at 14:59 CET and put that as the final deadline. That gives you a full extra day to send your scores.

6. I've got about 25 songs to do and I've already written commentary for everything rated too.
    I'll make it for sure, thanks!

Maki likes this.
  7. I think this is going to be the final (or penultimate) spotlight of this kind, but I have something planned for later...

[​IMG]

Snippets (1/2)
    Reason for not being included: well, they are... snippets

To be honest, I couldn't bring myself to highlight a particular song, so I thought it may be interesting to share some snippets that we never heard anything more than 30 seconds of. If all of these were, they would've been more than a welcome addition to this rate.

Text You Pictures

(snippets appear until 20 second mark and then stops)

This is the possibly earliest snippet we have that hasn't leaked in full. Written by Lady Gaga and Fernando Garibay in the first quarter of 2008, during one of their first recording sessions. Since "The Fame" was basically finished at the time, the song was initially recorded for no particular artist, but later intended to appear on Pussycat Dolls's sophomore album, "Doll Domination", but that didn't happen for some reason. Makes sense, since Gaga was the opening artist for their tour during 2008. I don't really like the snippets of this one, since the vocals sound monotonous and off, and the lyrics are a bit dumb, but it was never supposed to appear on any of her albums, so it's fine. After all, I can't really judge a song based on its snippet, although that 'I think of you, I'll text you pictures' hook does have some potential. The full version never surfaced and it still remains one of the most sought after unreleased songs by Gaga.

Private Audition

The second snippets we're spotlighting are from this song, written by Lady Gaga and produced by Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins sometime in 2008, possibly during the summer of that year. The song's title was incorrectly labelled as "Shut Up" (that little gem we're rating here), until it was leaked, as well as "Miss It B4 You Kiss It", which is a different song, written with Akon and RedOne, and we yet have to hear that one. "Private Audition" could be my favourite out of all the snippets we have. The first, 'move it, move it' part leaves me cold (this could be a verse) and the possible pre-chorus ('Want you to pump up my ride, 'cause we're drivin' all night, I like a, a little licky when my lipgloss is sticky, give me a hickey...') is a typical talk-ish suggestive bits we're used to from her at the time. But what I really care about are those few seconds, when she sings 'private audition, I need to know...'. That sounds like a beginning of a classic 2008/9 Gaga chorus and I absolute adore it. I'd love to hear this song in full one day. Such a shame this hasn't surfaced yet.

Clover

Thanks, @Pat, for reminding me of this one! The snippet of a song that's included in the special version of "A Star Is Born Encore", a 12-minute film featuring bonus footage from the shoot. Written by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper in 2018. We don't even know for certain if the song was completed or not. What can I say about? Nice vocals, beautiful vocals.

I Don't Want Your Love (title not confirmed)

A snippet that appeared last year, but there isn't much known about it. Sound like a newer recording (i.e. between 2016 and 2019), both based on voice and musical style. A reverse "Stupid Love" experience, since she doesn't want anyone's love this time. It's nice enough, but I can't really judge it from these 15 seconds. May be an outtake from "A Star Is Born", from some random sessions or could even appear on "Chromatica". Oh, and why does it sound like she sings 'I'm emotional' and 'I don't wan't your love' at the same time? A 'Yanny or Laurel' moment?

Babylon
    20-something second snippet of the song which should appear on her forever delayed upcoming album "Chromatica" that appeared last week or so. Sounds like it samples, or at least is heavily influenced by David Bowie's "Fame" ("Fancy Pants" says hi!). Without further talk about this one, my reaction to it remains:

I really thought there were more snippets, but the ones that were available a few years ago eventually surfaced and we heard them in full.

What do you think of these? Which one (if any) would you like to hear in full? Do you know any more snippets that aren't mentioned?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    soratami, sesita, Crisp X and 5 others like this.
  8. Pat

Pat

Does this one also count as a snippet?

9. Oh, yeah, definitely! I was actually considering to include that one, but completely forgot about it.
    Thanks for reminding me!
    (post is edited now)

soratami, Pat, myblood and 1 other person like this.
  10. I wish we had seen more of that park scene on A Star Is Born. It's the footage the movie cover is based on, after all.
    As for I Don't Want Your Love, I really enjoy what we heard so far. Excited to hear it once Chromatica comes out in two years.

11. I haven't been in the Chromatica thread in a while, but the "Babylon" snippet ain't it, sis. I remember "Stupid Love" being described as sounding like a parody of a Gaga song, which perfectly describes "Babylon" for me.

myblood, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  12. I agree. "Stupid Love" sounds like a typical mediocre/good Gaga song, but not like a parody.

By the way, if the voters continue mistreating my 11, I might as well close the voting earlier!

soratami, Pat, myblood and 3 others like this.
  13. I've completed voting and will take today for finishing touches and adjusting some scores here and there. Happy it went so fast during my work day.

I'll take a look at the snippets I have in my library tonight.

Also, averages:
    Early years 5,92
    Red & blue 7,80
    Pre-Fame 7,55
    The Fame Sessions 6,55
    The Fame Monster sessions 9,3
    Born This Way sessions 5
    ARTPOP sessions 8

14. Good! Nice to see a relatively high average score for "Red and Blue" - it's even higher than my average!
    The Fame sessions average looks suspicious, though. Hopefully you gave higher scores to the correct songs.

On a random note, a chunk of recent voters gave a marginally low score to a certain song, making it drop 16 spots since the 15 voters mark, and I'm a bit upset about it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  15. I have a feeling I am one of those recent voters... my apologies in advance. But now I'm curious as to which song?!

My averages per era are... shocking to say the least (and I went in with no expectations / assumptions).

16. You are one of them.
    As for which song it is, I'll reveal it during its elimination.

Good thing is that your overall average score isn't the lowest, and you're the lowest scorer for only one section so far. You shouldn't worry, since there's plenty of songs that are bound to be controversial and divisive.

Still, I'm (im)patiently waiting for @Music Is Life to vote and increase the average scores, haha!

17. Phew, I'm glad to hear. I definitely went back and forth and adjusted scores as I went through the songs too.

The one score I did know was my 0, that song can go straight to my trash bin.

[​IMG]

18. I really want to say something interesting about that one, but I'll wait when it's the right time...
    [​IMG]

19. As there's quite an amount of songs that, for more or less obvious reason, didn't make this rate, something that crossed my mind is to do a special, 'mini spotlights' for (almost) all of them...

[​IMG]
    Part 1
    Since there's basically no time for me to do these separately, I'm going to do a few batches of the rate outtakes with some very short write-ups for each one.

Hello Hello (with Elton John)
    Reason for not being included: Gaga is (kind of) a featured artist

I was sure this one was a cover version, but looks like it isn't. Written by Bernie Taupin, this song appears on a soundtrack for the animated film, Gnomeo & Juliet and was released on February 8th, 2011. Another fact I didn't even know until today is that the song version actually released on the soundtrack was originally sung solely by Elton. The version with Gaga (I don't know whether it was put as a duet or a feature) was used in the movie, but wasn't officially released until it leaked the same year. It's a cute little moment that fits the theme and sounds okay-ish, but I don't really enjoy this as much. Nice to see her collaborate with one of the artists that's among her major influences.
    In case this was labelled as a duet, and in case I had known it wasn't a cover, it could've easily appeared in this rate. Now I'm kicking myself for not noticing that earlier. Either way, I think this would've flopped here anyway, so it isn't a major loss at all.

German Tech
    Reason for not being included: instrumental (i.e. no Gaga vocals)

(you have this instrumental in the 'Bonus' section of the playlist)

First of all, an interesting title. This is one of the unreleased songs that surfaced two years ago. Instrumental demo that was never finalized. Most likely a RedOne production that was created around 2007/2008. Sounds pretty good to me, I really like the 'pre-chorus' bit. It's cool that you can imagine how the song could've sounded or even write your own song for this instrumental. It's unknown whether there were any actual vocals recorded for it. Who knows, maybe this is just a concept instrumental that RedOne sent to Gaga so she can write a song to it, and then just remained untouched.

Wundaland (with Lina Morgana)
    Reason for not being included: Gaga is a featured artist on the song

Written in 2006 by Lady Gaga, Rob Fusari and Nikki Gregoroff, and sung by Lina Morgana. Produced by Rob, this was likely created during the early days of Team Love Child. Lyrically, you can tell this is typical Gaga at the time (hello, 'disco ball' and 'pink champagne'), and the sound is a mixture of her earlier, glam-rocky and the more 'developed' Gaga-Fusari sound, suggesting it was surely written before 2007. The song was written for Lina, who sings the majority of it (and kind of does a Gaga impression), but Gaga has a part, outro of the song, which starts around the 2:15 mark - her repetition of 'talk to me baby' hook is groovy and her vocals sound great, I must say.
    Lina, although generally unknown, is a very interesting artist. For those of you who don't know why, it will be during one of the eliminations ("Spin U Around", to be exact). Overall, I quite enjoy this song and think that it could've been finished with Gaga's vocals in order to make it even better. That gasping near the end of the song, though... okay, whatever was that.

Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe (with Kendrick Lamar)
    Reason for not being included: Gaga is a featured artist on the song

Kendrick Lamar's song that was re-recorded with Lady Gaga in 2012. It was supposed to be released on his album "Good Kid, M.A.A.D City", but was scrapped and the solo version was used instead. As her Wikia tells me, the music video featuring a shortened version of the song was released through DJWSVision No. 2 as "LG Mix" on November 8th, 2012 (see the video here). The full version surfaced the same or the following day. I think Gaga's singing parts are really good. Kind of a nice throwback moment, too. However, I'm generally not here for rap, and that refers to this song, unfortunately. I think I've heard this version two or three times in total. As for why this version wasn't officially released, Kendrick said: “[Lady Gaga was going to be on the song]. We had a date, but we had to meet the deadline for the pre-order date. That’s just the business side coming through and messing things up. But you know it’s God’s plan. I’m not really too tight about it because I know we have something special.” Well, Gaga's 'rap craze' luckily ended circa 2014, so I don't see this happening.

Did you know any of these? Do you like any of these?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  20. Lovely, yes I know them!

How about these?
    (got released though and she has lots of bg vocals).

Quicksand tiny snippet that's out... So short. Wish we had the full track!

soratami, myblood, Pat and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.