Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 20 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. I considered "Murder My Heart" and "Don't Give Up", and they are going to appear in the next part of these 'mini spotlights'.

Oh, and I'm so dumb for forgetting to include "Musicland"! I love that song and even highlighted it in Gaga's discography rate, so thank you for reminding me. "Quicksand" one is very nice, too.
    Maybe I should do a second part of snippets spotlight? Just recalled another recording than can be included.

2. Thanks to @Laurence and their mention of two of these songs ("Musicland" and "Quicksand"), we're getting a second part of...

[​IMG]

Snippets (2/2)
    Reason for not being included: well, they are... snippets

Musicland

The earlier snippet out of the ones available. Written by Lady Gaga and Rob Fusari in 2006, most likely in the early stages of Team Love Child production (i.e. spring of that year). The song was released shortly on Lady Gaga's PureVolume page in 2006, and I think it's the only song she shared on that site and that didn't surface online afterwards. We don't know for certain what happened to the song, but Fusari talked about it: "I did Musicland with her. She re-did something with it, with somebody else, re-did something with it. But that was her". Interesting... Allegedly, Gaga also sound-checked a few lines of this song during some South Korean interview in 2008, but there's no evidence of that.

Very old-school rock in sound, the lyrics are:
    I have a fever at the disco,
    Sirens are screaming,
    And I'm losin' control!
    Someone turned out,
    The lights in musicland,

However, this 20-second snippet isn't complete, but it's almost impossible to find that one online, which includes additional lines:
    But the record starts to spin,
    I feel the music and,
    We start to dance, yeah!

(you can PM me if you want to hear the full snippet, because I'm not allowed to share the link here)

I really like how dramatic the song sounds. Since it's very promising, it remains one of my most demanded unreleased Lady Gaga songs I want to hear in full.
    Fun fact 1: a line from "Musicland" is used as an intro on one of the versions of "Fever". You may have caught that. She even mentions the word 'fever' in "Musicland"!
    Fun fact 2: "Musicland" was supposed to be performed at MuchMusic Awards in 2009. Now it makes sense why Fusari said that Gaga later 're-worked' it.

Quicksand

(I think the snippets posted above are all of the ones available online)

Demo written by Lady Gaga and Fernando Garibay in early 2008 for Britney Spears, and eventually recorded and released on her album "Circus", as an iTunes Store deluxe edition bonus track. According to Gaga, she wanted to produce Britney Spears' vocals but was in Europe at the time. She said about her: "Britney is a nice girl – I just feel very honoured that she wanted to sing my song. I used to scream for her in Times Square and now I work for her. When I was 13 she was the most provocative performer of my time. I love her so much!" How cute!
    . I can easily imagine Gaga writing and recording this song for someone else, especially comparing it some of the demos that appear in this rate. Even though it's a very pretty song, I don't really crave for this one, since we have Britney's full version, but it would definitely be a nice and welcome addition to her rarities catalog. Also, Gaga sang the small portions of the song during her the Fame Ball. Here's a video of her singing it live in 2009.

Yes I Can

This one is really rare and quite interesting. "Yes I Can" is a voice memo Gaga recorded in late 2007 and sent to RedOne, during "The Fame" recording sessions. The video title incorrectly says it's an idea for "Bad Romance", but it actually has nothing to do with that song. It's just sort of an improvisation, which she recorded acapella and sent to RedOne, so it can potentially be turned into an actual song. It first surfaced around 2016, but I only found out about it last year. To be honest, it took me quite some time to track the name and link of this recording, but it was worth it. "Yes I Can" has quite an unusual sound, and very much reminds me of those 90's dance and house tunes (think Deee-Lite, Snap! and Corona oop). I like it, it's a cute idea. We can only wonder what (if anything) happened to this little ditty.

Ratchet

One of the "ARTPOP" outtakes, written in 2012. Gaga performs the song line in the above snippet. It was supposed to be a collaboration with Azealia Banks, who confirmed it the same year, saying: “I worked on a song for her. I don’t know if it will make her record. I hope it will… but we’ll wait and see”. Azealia doesn't make it to the album shocker. Also, Gaga teased the song and even sings another short snippet in her YouTube video titled AN ARTPOP INVENTION (at around 1:35 mark), where she talks about her innovative glowing wig. Sorry, but I find the above snippet rather obnoxious. I'm not here for RapGa. The instrumental of "Ratchet" was released on on DJ White Shadow's "The Clock Is Ticking" EP on December 10th, 2013. Listen to it here. Sounds okay, very chaotic - just like the "ARTPOP" era in general.

What about these? Any notable moments?

BreatheBox, soratami, myblood and 7 others like this.
  3. So... @Music Is Life just voted and:

1. Their total average score is lower than mine, and isn't even among the top 3 highest averages in the rate
    2. They gave a 'grand' total of three 10's (remember this post?)
    3. They didn't give a 10 (nor a 9!) to my 11

[​IMG]
    Explain yourself. Is this some kind of April Fools prank?

soratami, myblood, Crisp X and 7 others like this.
  4. Oop. Sorry. I mean, I love Gaga but a lot of this material just didn't grab me the way most music does in general, much less the way her music did. And I wrote that post before I actually started listening ddd, and was assuming there would be a bunch of masterpieces here to love. I had apparently been wrong. All of this is honestly a first for me, and is a clear sign I'm growing in these trying times dddddd.

Honestly, completely forgot it's April 1st.

soratami, myblood, Crisp X and 6 others like this.
  5. @Music Is Life potentially lowballing songs that deserve it (not your 11 @Maki) is a development I can get behind!

6. Pat

Pat

I love this by the way and hate that they've never released this, since they did shot a video for it. Not sure why they shelved this, but did release a feature with Wale? I hope they'll officially release this from the 'vaults' one day, but doubt it since it's The Midway State's release and they seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

7. Don't worry, I wasn't being serious (mostly). It's completely reasonable to not on these, especially since majority of them is quite different from the rest of Gaga's output. And because this isn't your 'usual' type of rate, I always advise voters to be a bit more considerate and perhaps lenient towards these songs, since most of them weren't even supposed to be heard by a wider public, and a good chunk of them wasn't even finished.
    That , I'm pretty sure there's a lot of growers here (like that's the usual case with you).

Well, it went in both directions, I must say. But one thing I noticed is that his ballot made a lot of the ballads drop.

I think I've never heard this snippet before. Turns out that the song "Perfect" isn't actually sung by Gaga, but someone else who did a damn good impression of her.
    Here's the full song:

(some people say the vocalist is Chantelle Paige, but I have no idea)

We have 27 voters so far! There's going to be another leaderboard tea posted soon (at the 25 voters mark).

8. Whew okay good. And yeah that's a good point, but I feel like I weirdly went in the opposite direction. I guess I'm just used to unreleased material being pretty amazing from other artists.

I have my issues with these kind of Gaga ballads like Speechless and Brown Eyes dddd.

Crisp X, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  9. I pre-emptively liked this - but if you lowballed some of my favourite ballads here!

[​IMG]

Dddddd

myblood, Crisp X, elektroxx and 2 others like this.
  10. Ddddd sorry in advance if necessary

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  11. Like I've said, it's time for the final...

Leaderboard tea: Part 5 (25 voters)

[​IMG]
    • The song that's currently in the lead is the same song as with 20 voters and it's literally dominating the rate​
    • The bottom placing song is still the same, too, and there's pretty much no hope for it​
    • Only the currect top 2 songs have an 9+ average score.​
    • Ten songs have their average scores lower than a 6​
    • Two sections have only one song in the bottom 10 and only one song in the top 10​
    • There is now only one song that received an 11 and has no 10's​
    • The number of songs that received at least one 10 or 11 still remains 42
    • Fourteen different songs received at least one 11
    • There's that one odd choice in the bottom 10 that's so random that I can't understand it
    • The first 11 we're losing is... interesting
    • Three voters are losing their 11's before any of their 10's​
    • The current placement of the highest-ranking song without any 10's or 11's is up to #23​
    • There's been a lot of movement in the bottom 10, unlike in the top 10, where only a few songs changed positions​
    • Entire middle section is very close, unsurprisingly, but there are some extremely close songs in the top 10, too​
    • One voter loses two of their lowest scores and one of their highest scores in the span of three consecutive songs​
    • In regards to that sentence, there is plenty of divisive songs​
    • Needless to say, there's a lot of low scores, which are pretty much scattered across the leaderboard.​
    (this update includes scores from the next five voters - @myblood, @Pat, @MilesAngel, @SyPOPhantic and @muddleddreams).

There won't be any more leaderboard tea, most likely, especially since I can already sense the late voters storming like:
    [​IMG]

A lot can still change, so don't take all of this for granted, these statements can be completely untrue by the voting deadline.​

12. I can get this. Gaga's discography is so amazing, so it's natural to have high expectations while diving into her unreleased songs and rarities. However, there's undeniably a great difference when compared to 90% of her released music, which resulted in some sort of disappointment.
    I think they just need time and more second chances in order to shine properly.

Oh, and it complately makes sense that you treated her early ballads the way you did. I disagree with that opinion, though (some of the voters will probably be furious because of that)

13. I guess I should've given more time to the songs, but it'll be okay I hope.

And oops. I guess. Maybe. Actually no. It'll be nice for others to be pissed off in a rate for once rather then me.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    soratami, M24, elektroxx and 2 others like this.
  14. me right now
    [​IMG]

15. M24

M24

Sent my scores!!! Hope I saved some of the ballads @Music Is Life and probably the rest of you sunk!!!! (If y'all did Wish You Were Here and Let Love Down dirty, we're going to have a few words).

Overall though, I agree the quality of Gaga's unreleased output is quite low compared to her official discography. Maybe that doesn't speak so much about these songs, and more about the quality of her official discography (except for most of Artpop and Stupid Love, fight me). Still, there's enough to make an all-killer little EP, or a decent album altogether.

I'm going to be rooting for The Fame sessions which had my highest average and my 11.

16. I'm finishing today! Will make it in 3 hours.

myblood and Maki like this.
  17. These later voters really came through with commentary!
    Speaking of which, I'm always happy to receive them, so any additional commentary is more than welcome at any point, no matter if the eliminations begin.

Also, since there are at least two write-ups that I plan to post, so the first elimination surely won't happen tomorrow, I've decided to do another small extension and put the final deadline as
    April 3rd at 20:59 GMT

That gives an extra day to send your scores. ​

18. [​IMG]
    Now I'm terrified.

soratami, abael, berserkboi and 5 others like this.
  19. I would've been terrified if that was my 11 choice, to be honest.
    Luckily, one of these things isn't true anymore (and it doesn't even have to refer to your 11).

On a random note, another mini songs spotlight should be posted today!​

20. Some final tagging, for potential voters...

Hello! If you still want to take part in this rate, there is more than one day left to send your scores!
    @Cutlery
    @Sleepycat
    @GimmeWork
    @RMK
    @Secret

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.