Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 21 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Second part of...

[​IMG]
    Part 2

Don't Give Up (with The Midway State)
    Reason for not being included: cover of an officially released song & Gaga is labelled as a featured artist

Cover of Peter Gabriel's song of the same name (featuring Kate Bush). The song was recorded in 2008 and was supposed to be released, probably as a one-off single. Martin got to the idea to bring Gaga and The Midway State together, since he was an A&R for both.
    Gagapedia goes more in detail about it:
    Asked about what happened with the song, Nathan Ferraro, singer of The Midway State replied: "I didn't cry but I was disappointed. In this business you get used to that, it's just a snap of the fingers. It was just a matter of she was blowing up at the time and they can't put a huge push or millions of dollars behind every single artistic thing she does". It's a pity it was never officially released. I think it's a lovely moment and she greatly showcases her vocals. Melancholic yet uplifting. The alterations made in the instrumental are great, too. The music video is the exact recreation of the original one. Notably, this is the only music video featuring Lady Gaga that was leaked. Speaking of which, there are two demo versions of the music video, but the final version yet has to surface.

Do Me Right (with Valeria)
    Reason for not being included: Gaga is labelled as a featured artist

Written in late 2007 or early 2008 by Lady Gaga, Valeria Andrews, Thomas J. Henriksen (whoever is that) and produced by Space Cowboy for Valeria's album "Freshly Squeezed", but was never released. Gaga is featured on the song and sings the middle-8. And I think we all know what it reminds us of - the middle-8 of "Monster". Melodically, it's almost exactly the same! Another case of Gaga's recycling in her early days. The song is good and I really like the chorus, but nothing too special. The middle-8 remains the highlight. There is another song by Valeria co-written by Gaga, and that one appears on "Freshly Squeezed" - it's called "Lola" (you can hear Gaga in the backing vocals) and sounds reminiscent to Gaga's pre-Fame stuff, but I find it quite annoying. "Do Me Right" is surely better than it, although there's an evident cheap factor in both of them. Just found a photo of them together:
    [​IMG]
    Gaga and Valeria in La Madre Party Nightclub on October 27th, 2007 - kind of suggests that they've written together around that time

Murder My Heart (with Michael Bolton)
    Reason for not being included: Gaga labelled as a featured artist (actually, she isn't even labelled)

Written in August of 2008 by Lady Gaga, Michael Bolton, Mike Mani and Jordan Omley and was released on Bolton's album "One World One Love" in 2009. Gaga sings the backing vocals here. From what I've got, not all album editions feature her vocals on this track, and she's not even labelled as a featuring artist on most of them. Fun fact is that she went with her real name, Stefani Germanotta, on the writers personnel. the Again, Gagapedia has some interesting details of how the song came together:
    Long story short, Bolton heard of Lady Gaga, liked her music and wanted to work with her. Therefore, this song was created. Also, the 'young Madonna' comparison was the key back in the day, it seems. At least he predicted that she's going to catapult to the fame very soon.
    The song is a bit MOR, but it's really pleasant and I love Gaga's harmonizing and backing vocals. The effects they used are modern, but the core of the song is more old-fashioned and retro (80's ballad style, as mentioned), which is something Gaga was going for in her music career, but in a different way. This collaboration seems really odd, yet it works because their voices sound great together. Bolton and Gaga have a picture in the studio. Haven't heard this song in quite a while, so it was a nice reminder that it exists.

PARTYNAUSEOUS (with/without Kendrick Lamar)
    Reason for not being included: Gaga is labelled as a featured artist/the song doesn't have a 'definitive' version

Solo version:

Feature (demo) version:

Thanks to @SyPOPhantic for reminding me of this one. We already had Kendrick-Gaga outtake in the last spotlight, and this one has pretty much the same story: written in 2012, supposed to appear on his album "good kid, m.A.A.d city" (first as a pre-release song on September 6th, 2012) and was scrapped due to creative differences between the two's teams. Gagapedia says: "Gaga stated that the song is about her experiences regarding Jakarta in July of 2012, where she was forced to cancel a performance of The Born This Way Ball Tour due to strong threats of violence from Islamic extremists should the concert be performed, and how she wished she could "get high with the country" and make peace." How very on-brand from her. Chromatica who?
    She used the re-worked version of this song as an interlude on artRAVE, with changed lyrics and beat. I knew that it was an interlude, but I always considered version with Kendrick Lamar to be the only one. The two versions are quite different, I must say. The 'final' version has a thumping beat and is almost headache-inducing. The lyrics are quite stupid and there's barely any of them in the entire first half of the song.
    Now, it would make sense if "PARTYNAUSEOUS" appeared here, since there's a solo version avaiable, but it still a 'completed' tour interlude, which doesn't really make a proper song, at least to me. Even if it was included in this rate (the solo version), I think it would've done rather poorly, so it's probably not missed by anyone.

I think there's enough songs for the third (and final) part of these spotlights. Any predictions (or suggestions) as to what could appear there? I have three songs in mind for now.

soratami, elektroxx, Crisp X and 7 others like this.
  2. That cover of Don't Give Up is actually really, really pretty. I love the original, and yes, Gabriel and Bush are of course hard to top, but this also works rather well.

myblood, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  3. Don't Give Up is lovely. Always had a special place in my heart.
    Do Me Right is a MEGABOP.

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  4. Trying to catch up through 2006-07 tracks.

5. Just entered the last few ballots onto the sheet and #3 and #2 just switched places!
    Fun fact: the song that's now at #2 was #8 at the 12 voters mark, and the song that's now at #3 has pretty much been a runner-up throughout the voting.

6. Nice to see the praise for "Don't Give Up". I can't even remember the last time I listened to it (and I listened to it only 2 or 3 times in total), which made me forget how charming it is.

That section is quite a journey, isn't it?

soratami, myblood and berserkboi like this.
  7. D'OH! I have like 10 songs left, then I'll turn in my ballot. Promise!

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  8. Okay after a bit of delay I've sent my scores. Iconic.

soratami, myblood, Crisp X and 3 others like this.
  9. Pat

Pat

Maybe some unreleased mixes of released songs? Like the MTV Jazz Version of Yoü & I, The BRIT Awards Mix of Dance In The Dark or the Mugler Mix of Black Jesus/Amen Fashion.

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  10. That's a good idea, but I don't usually listen to remixes, so I won't be able to do them any justice, unfortunately.
    However, I do plan to spotlight a demo of a certain song today.

By the way, there's about 10 hours left to vote!​

11. I'm on The Fame Monster's tracks!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  12. Okay... the voting is tentatively closed, but I definitely don't plan to start the eliminations until tomorrow evening, so a few of you who are considered as potential voters can still send your scores:
    @Cutlery
    @heavymetalGAGA
    @reputation.
    @RMK
    @drewsky etc.

13. Funny how that "Do Me Right" demo not only had the Monster melody but almost the same line from I Like It Rough ("Can't sleep without my fix tonight" x "Can't sleep with a man who dims my shine\Won't go without my fix tonight"). Had another situation like this but I forgot nn.

soratami, myblood, Laurence and 4 others like this.
  14. Nice catch. Yeah, she has a lot of these re-used lyrics among her unreleased and released songs. And I can't believe you linked it to "I Like It Rough", because I've always thought that the chorus of "Do Me Right" was sonically similar to that song.

Sorry that I couldn't do a spotlight yesterday, but I promise it's coming today.
    Eliminations should start afterwards (I'm still waiting for those potential last-minute ballots).

soratami, myblood, Laurence and 2 others like this.
  15. Final spotlight of its kind...

[​IMG]
    Part 3

Luv U Sum (with CJ Holland)
    Reason for not being included: Gaga is labelled as a featured artist

Released/leaked on March 3rd, 2011, I basically know nothing about this odd collaboration, except that it's written by Lady Gaga and CJ Holland. Anyways, it sounds basic on arrival, just as the song title may suggest. There are some good bits in this song, but I'm not here for monotonous/repetitive/talk-rap Gaga. If someone could enlighten me with some more info about this song, I'd me thankful.

Princess Die
    Reason for not being included: song only performed live, with no redeemable sound quality

This can be seen as a companion to "Living On the Radio", which had its own spotlight earlier. The main difference. In fact, "Princess Die" can bee seen as the first song that emerged from the "ARTPOP" sessions. Premiered at The Born This Way Ball in Rod Laver Arena on June 27th, 2012, it was performed a total of nine times, until September 8th. What's interesting is that the song had different lyrics each time it was performed. Gaga said about this: "I'll probably play that song a little bit differently every night. I think I've probably have 8000 lyrics for that song and I've just cut them up." The song itself is a quite depressing ballad, and, while it isn't anything spectacular to me, it's a very pleasant listen.
    Partly inspired by Princess Diana and her tragic death, she talked about the song's background further
    (the final sentence can be called 'a mood', right?):

In the performance video linked above, she wore the tiara she received. How cute! All live performances of "Princess Die" should be relatively easy to find on YouTube.

I thought this one was considered a favourite among the fans, so I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned it. However, despite the hypothetical requests, this song's only been performed live, the screaming/interrupting fans mixed with mediocre sound quality and different version for each performance couldn't make this song illegible nor suitable enough for this rate.

Red Flame (with Azealia Banks)
    Reason for not being included: Gaga labelled as a featured artist (actually, she isn't even labelled as a featured artist)

And Mary Jane (Holland) was born...
    Besides "Ratchet" (already mentioned in the snippets spotlight), this is another scrapped collaboration between Gaga and Azealia for "ARTPOP", but we have a full version of it (or at least it's a demo). Another rap/talk Gaga song that's not for me, I'm afraid. Glad it remained unreleased. Azealia referred to the potential collaboration and how thew worked in a... very Azealia Banks-like way: "I worked with Lady Gaga, but I worked with Lady Gaga from afar. We worked via email and via Internet" Yep, Internet collab is definitely not something I see Gaga proudly releasing. Also, I see 'Lady Gaga feat. Azealia Banks' label all over the net, which confuses me, because Azealia is so prominent on the track. I like to believe that this is just an unfinished demo that was never finalized, which it most likely is the case.

And, finally, as per @Untouchable Ace's request...​

Alejandro (demo)
    Reason for not being included: demo version of an officially released song (obviously)

So @Untouchable Ace PM'd me that I should highlight this demo, after they sent their scores a while ago, and why not waste an opportunity, especially considering my opinion of it. I'm afraid that I won't do the demo any justice, since I'm not so familiar with it.
    "Alejandro" being my 11 in Lady Gaga discography rate speaks for itself. However, to be honest, I've never had a definite favourite Lady Gaga song and could never pinpoint one 11-worthy song in her career, which justifies the quality of her output. But knowing that song for a long time, and it still sounding as fresh and poignant is beyond impressive. There's a dark element that really certifies it as one of her crowning glories. The aspect I love on this demo version is that the sad violin is kept basically throughout the song, and it really shines in those more stripped-down moments. Pretty much a perfect balance, so I can totally see people enjoying this more than the final song version.

Luckily, I don't suffer from demoitis, but every time I hear this demo, something feels missing. Looks like I'm used to the thumping beats used on the final version, which make the song sound. A reverse-demoitis?

Anyways, praise this masterpiece in any form:

That should be it when it comes to 'Songs we could've rated' spotlights. There's still the final part of 'Lady Gaga before the fame' write-ups left for me to do, and then the eliminations should finally begin (by the way, voting is not officially closed yet: you can still send your scores, @GimmeWork, @reputation., @heavymetalGAGA, @Secret etc.)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Remorque, soratami, sesita and 7 others like this.
  16. Pat

Pat

I thought 'Luv U Sum' was confirmed fake?

17. Supposedly the hook is from another song of hers and they just used it as a "feature". @mindtrappa may know more...

18. I'm not sure whether the song is fake, but that voice is 100% Gaga. There's no way someone could imitate her voice and accents so well, especially relatively early in her career.
    The most likely scenario is that they just used some of her scrapped vocals from a random recording session, as @SyPOPhantic mentioned.

soratami and berserkboi like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.