Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 22 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Yesterday, I entered the last few ballots on the sheet and they caused so much tumbling on the leaderboard!

The very last set of scores alone made four songs reach their peak and six songs hit their rock bottom. Oh, and #2 and #3 switched places again! So many thing changed.

Overall, the results I'm seeing right now are... not ideal.

My plan is to post the very last write-up tomorrow, officially close the voting and then finally get started with the reveals!

2. Ah yes, always loved Luv U Sum.
    I remember back when it leaked, people would say it was a scrapped feature between Gaga and Michael Jackson dd
    Can't deny I fell for it.

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  3. M24

M24

Oh gosh, I know you can't say much, but I need to know... did my ballot contribute to that upheaval? Dddd I can already see myself being dragged for my low-ish scores on a few (probably) grower songs.

Maki likes this.
  4. The final part of...

[​IMG]

Go-go phase, two 'Ladies', new record deals and rise to the fame (2007-2008)
    [​IMG]

Last time, I mentioned Gaga and Rob's tumultuous romantic relationship which started two months after they met. Well, since her breakdown after being dropped by Island Def Jam in late 2006, Fusari suggested, and the pair agreed to stop dating and continue their relationship on a professional level.

Around that time, Gaga was going to different clubs in New York, and one day she met Lady Starlight. According to one of Starlight's interviews, they met at St. Jerome's Bar (Gaga dated the owner of the bar at the time) on March 30th, 2007, where Gaga was celebrating her 21st birthday. Starlight was a go-go dancer and Gaga approached. Not only two of them were had 'Lady' in their names, but it's just like they've known each other for years and their friendship immediately clicked. As Lady Starlight sums it up in one iconic sentence: “She put a dollar bill in my panties and the rest is history.”
    There's actually a photo of them together the night they met:
    [​IMG]
    March 30th, 2007 - the pre-Fame duo

Very soon, the pair started the project called "Lady Gaga and the Starlight Revue" Lady Starlight explains it: "Our show was a postmodern pastiche of my heavy metal record collection and style juxtaposed with GaGa’s original pop songs and charismatic stage presence. The result was pretty phenomenal.. I spun GaGa’s beats, she rocked on the keyboard, and we had lyrical dance breaks to heavy rock and metal. All while wearing our underwear! " And that's something right up Gaga's alley, especially during the time!

[​IMG]
    April 24th, 2007 - the premiere of "Lady Gaga and the Starlight Revue"

Accompanied by go-go moves, retro music and lots of hairspray that was often lit on fire, the ladies were inspired by each other in crating this, as they call it, performance art. It wasn't just a show, nor a proper concert, so it makes sense they refer to it that way. Experimenting and later, it was also very raunchy and provocative, but still not too explicit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A good summary of "Lady Gaga and the Starlight Revue" is presented by this video, made with excerpts of performance shot on August 11th, 2007 at The Knitting Factory and accompanied by "Beautiful, Dirty Rich":

A shame we don't have more video footage of these shows

Gaga's father saw the show and, as she mentions: "He couldn't look at me for a few months," she admits of her early experimentation. "I was in leather thongs, so it was hard for him — he just didn't understand." Eventually, he got used to it and became supportive of Gaga.

Meanwhile, she was still working hard in the studio with Rob Fusari - the performances with Lady Starlight inspired her music, and her music inspired the performances in return. In order to promote newly recorded songs, Gaga regularly shared them on her PureVolume and Myspace accounts.
    And while we're at it, I must share her PureVolume description from February 2007, it's epic and hilarious, but so accurate:
    There's an amount of lyrics she used in her songs

Fusari introduced her to several producers, including Martin Kierszenbaum, and their first recording session sparked the idea of the concept for her debut album - when they wrote song "The Fame" (more about it here).

Another important moment for Gaga and Starlight's careers is their performance at Lollapalooza festival on August 4th, 2007. They played nine songs, but we don't exactly know which ones (except for four of them). Here are short clips of her performing "Summerboy" and "Disco Heaven":

The spinning disco ball is there, of course!

A hilarious story from that festival is that the same evening she got a indecent exposure citation from a cop. Gaga recalls this moment: “I was outside the Lollapalooza festival in Chicago and this policeman came up and told me my hotpants were too short. They weren’t really pants at all, but he got upset and I got a citation. All people will have seen is this half-naked girl on the street yelling, ‘It’s fashion! I’m an artist!’”
    And an accompanying photo:
    [​IMG]
    Why is this photo so funny? Lolapalooza...

The Lollapalooza performance got Gaga more exposure and increased her popularity among underground fans.
    Fun fact: Gaga made an appearance in the first version of Semi Precious Weapons' music video for "Magnetic Baby", shot in September/October of 2007 (watch it here).

While all this was occurring, Rob Fusari was sending demos that Gaga and him created to producer and record executive Vincent Herbert, which made him think of signing her to his label, Streamline Records. Going to one of Gaga and Starlight's burlesque shows convinced him to do so. She also sparked the interest of Interscope's Chairman Jimmy Iovine in 2007. He offered her a label deal via Streamline/Interscope, which she accepted, of course. The big deal was signed!

Back to Gaga & Starlight. They came up with another show, this time a party called "New York Street Revival and Trash Dance". It's a burlesque pop, rock 'n roll, glam and metal party, as it is explained. That show only lasted for one month, three or four weeks in October (one show each week), since Gaga had her own revue by November/December.
    What's notable about it is that on the premiere of the concept-show, 4th October, 2007, Gaga presented her signature blonde hair to the world!
    [​IMG]
    Birth of the blonde Gaga! However, the iconic bleach blond hair with fringes has yet to make an appearance.

The last time they performed one of their shows together is on October 24th, 2007. However, Starlight still occasionally performed with Gaga after she blew up. She even was the opening act for her The Fame Ball, The Monster Ball and The ARTPOP Ball tours.

She also met RedOne in late 2007, and the first song they wrote, the same they they met, was "Boys Boys Boys". RedOne was so impressed by Gaga that he played Boys Boys Boys to Akon with whom he has a production company called RedOneKonvict. Akon was so excited that he wanted her as writer for artists on Universal. They met in November of 2007
    About the writing process, Gaga said: "I was like the weird girl who dressed like a zoo animal, the trash glamour in a roomful of urban hip-hop cats. They'd be, like, 'Gaga, what do you think of this lyric?' and I'd twist it all up and all of a sudden it was edgy."

Despite securing a record deal and being supported by the songwriters, she said that some radio stations found her music too "racy", "dance-oriented", and "underground" for the mainstream market, to which she replied: "My name is Lady Gaga, I've been on the music scene for years, and I'm telling you, this is what's next."
    When something's right, it's right!

Gaga started her own, so-called "Lady GaGa Revue", in the fall of 2007, which continued until March 2008, where she sang her newly-written songs from her upcoming debut album. Around that time, she's also written with RedOne and Akon for other artists, such as Britney Spears, The Pussycat Dolls, New Kids on the Block etc.The shows were similar to the ones she did with Lady Starlight:
    [​IMG]
    November 29th, 2007 - still going strong with disco vibes!
    [​IMG]
    February 14, 2008
    [​IMG]
    February 14, 2008 - bringing the leather!
    [​IMG]
    March 27th, 2008
    [​IMG]
    March 27th, 2008 - she got her very appropriate Birthday cake just after midnight!

The full set (this time only three songs) performance at Winter Music Conference 2008, on March 27th, is available online:

I see some jealous looks, hehe

The last raunchy, retro-inspired performance of that kind appears to be on April 19th of 2008, at the Spring Break Pool Party in California:
    [​IMG]
    Just before the 'retro to pop avantgarde' switch-up

After that, while her lead single was out, she continued with a lot of promo performances, but focusing even more on the visuals, choreography and concept than before and further experimentation and evolving (that led to the creation of 'The Fame' glasses, the iconic disco stick, her outrageous clothing combinations etc.)

Behind the scenes, everything was ready: lead single was chosen and released, the music video was shot, and the debut album has been completed.

"Just Dance" was released on April 4th, 2008 and its music video on April 30th. The single first charted at #76 on August 16th, 2008 (my birthday!) and reached #1 on Billboard charts after whooping 22 weeks.

The rest is history.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Island, soratami, chriscrk and 13 others like this.
  5. Finally, I can say that...

Voting is officially closed!

No one has voted since I extended the voting about two days ago, but still, here are some final notes I haven't mentioned:
    • 15 different songs received at least one 11 - eight of them got multiple 11's.
    • A total of 176 10's has been awarded.
    • 48 different songs have received at least one 10 (or 11). That's really nice to see.
    • Four voters didn't award a 10 to any of the songs - three of them did give 11's.
    • Only one voter gave out 10's, but not an 11.

There are so many controversial and divisive songs... let's just say it will be fun to witness your reactions to most of the eliminations. Literally everyone's faves are in danger, so better watch out.

Since everything has been arranged score and commentary-wise yesterday, I should double-check everything, and then do the first elimination.

soratami, Crisp X, abael and 8 others like this.
  6. For those who may missed any of them, all of the spotlights are now linked on the first page of the thread:
    @M24, don't worry, your ballot didn't cause any major shake-ups on the leaderboard. You were actually very considerate with the scores.

Also, a little question: How should I break the ties? Based on the amount of 10's seems kind of reasonable, do you agree with that? I didn't even notice that there was a tie, because Google spreadsheet has randomly broken it.

soratami, M24, sesita and 5 others like this.
  7. That’s how I broke a tie just yesterday on the Anime Rate! It helped that I liked the song that won the tie a little better too! Lol

8. Yeah, that seems to be a regular way from what I've noticed. Seems pretty fair.

9. Great! Thanks for the suggestions, I'll do it that way, then.
    Although it will be against you in that case, hehe.

While I'm replying to you, I just recalled this guessing game that everyone can still take part in:

Also, I'm currently preparing the first elimination. Place your bets.

10. Since voting is closed and I cannot influence votes in any way by saying this (not that I really could either way dddd) - let me hope we have a three punch combo of Fancy Pants, Ribbons and Cake Like Gaga leaving fairly quickly!! Dddd

myblood, Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  11. Well, you have one song that you gave a lower score than "Cake Like Lady Gaga", but maybe you decided to block it from your memory, so I understand.
    At least one of the three songs is leaving very soon, though.

12. Pat

Pat

If there's anything that's need to go first, it's those god awful children's book songs or.. Posh Life.

13. Thank you so much to everyone who voted or planned to vote in this rate! This is a great number, all things considered. It was really fun (and, quite often, frustrating) to see how things change and your commentary is always a great read - feel free to send more whenever you want.
    Looking forward to properly kicking this off!

Some finishing touches, and the first cut will be posted. One thing I can reveal is: it's one of the three songs that received multiple 0's.

14. My guesses for first out are:
    Master Heartbreaker
    World Family Tree
    We Are Plastic

Praying for the ballads.

15. Finally, it's time for the first elimination.

This is exactly the song I imagined to be the first one out, before even opening the rate...

Your least favorite song by Lady Gaga is...

[​IMG]

World Family Tree (with Grandmaster Melle Mel and Britt Beal)

Average score: 3.860

Highest score:
    7.5 x 1 (@Sprockrooster)
    Lowest scores: 0 x 2 (@Phonetics Boy, @elektroxx), 1 x 2 (@KYLE, @TéléDex)
    My score: 5.5

There was no doubt about what will end up as the losing song of this rate. It was collectively disliked. In fact, it was at the very bottom of the leaderboard literally during the entire voting period and nothing could save it.
    Poor thing.

"World Family Tree" is a song written by Melle Mel and Maura Casey (outro), and produced by Joey Mekkah. Yeah, very notable people... But it's the only song in this rate that wasn't written by Lady Gaga, so it's special from that point of view. It was released (along with "Fountain of Truth") on the audio book disc called "The Portal in the Park" on November 13th of 2006, which Gaga recorded her vocals for back in summer/fall of 2005. Maura Casey, the writer of the book, invited her to contribute to the soundtrack. She was still Stefani Germanotta at the time and by the time the CD was released, she adopted her new moniker (which was mentioned in this spotlight) and called Maura to change it on the official release . Fun fact about this is that her name on the tracklisting of the 2006 edition disc was 'Lady Ga Ga' (yeah, with the spacing). Don't believe me? Well, here's the proof:
    [​IMG]

There's also a 2010 edition of this disc, where her name is written as Lady Gaga - just like that, in bold. Get that coin, I guess? (if that's the way of saying it)

So, why is this song included? As you can see, Gaga isn't labelled as a featured artist on the CD, which makes her part of the leading act, even though Melle Mel's rap is prominent. Yeah... you may roll your eyes at this extremely technical stuff, but the song is here. And it's already gone.

The song itself is very cute, at least lyrically, so you should at least acknowledge that. I know it's very childish, but that's its purpose, so I can see some of the voters being more lenient for that reason. Maybe you were a tiny bit too harsh on it. Not that I'm saying it doesn't deserve the last place - it's definitely among my bottom 5 of this rate, but there are at least two more songs that I would've preferred to see leave before it. Gaga pops up during the chorus, and does some of the harmonies here and there. It's minimal, although acceptable (for me, at least). To be honest, I kind of have a soft spot for that chorus, it's really endearing. The middle-8 is really nice, as well as the outro. The rap is throwaway, but it doesn't bother me too much, surprisingly. It kind of has an old-school vibe, which is one of charming aspects. Yes, that's the right word - this song is very charming; from the lyrics, to the delivery and music. However, there is no denying that it's extremely inessential and no one will miss.

Also, I see @Sprockrooster is back at it, after being the sole highest scorer for "ME!" in the recent BPG rate. The tradition of his questionable taste for the first elimination continues! We love you, Sprocky. Never change.

Onto the commentary:
    Shall we start with the negatives first? @Phonetics Boy is one of the two voters who gave this song a 0, and they explain their choice: "Doesn't feel like a Gaga song and is, well, seriously fucking grating." Ouch. Reasonable, though. @elektroxx, the other lowest scorer, questions: "Is Gaga on this at all? If she is, she's very much buried in the mix." You're a fake fan if you can't hear her. @Pat (3) questions my choices: "This is just awful, Gaga appears only a minute in as the hook-girl. Why is this included in the rate?" I hope that the write-up explained it. @Petit nain des Îles (3) gets shady, saying: "I heard you, I counted to 3. Here’s your score." At least you got the childish type of shade correct. @DinahLee (4) says: "Another one that's a bit way more produced and polished but doesn't really matter.", but @Laurence (2) just doesn't have time for it: "Just no... Sorry."

Our commentary master (see what I did there?), @berserkboi (6.2) says: "This is a bit hilarious to listen to, as it is very early “High School concerns” and delivered as such but the sentiment is in the right place? Oh wow, on repeated listen, it’s also a bit pitchy! Ddddd". Thank you, Honest Vocal Coach. @Seventeen Days (5) states the obvious: "Are this and ‘Fountain of Truth’ from the same session? They sound so lo-fi, and not in the good way." That doesn't sound hopeful for "Fountain of Truth", huh? And while we're at it, @DominoDancing (4) mentions that song, too: "Same as Fountain of Truth, this sounds cheap and dated for its release date. I was quite happy to read that Gaga wasn't actually involved in writing these." You're partly right (you'll see why).

To end on a positive note, generous @pop3blow2 (7) compares it to something: "This sounds like a song from a commercial or something. I’m trying not to drag it too much, cause I think it means well." It indeed does, in all of its juvenile and clunky glory.
    Let's finish off with @M24 (7), who has a nice message: "Finally a more electronic track. What is this rapper doing on this track tho? There's not enough Gaga here, me thinks. But the lyrics are so pretty: "Sisters and brothers may attack you. But stop to think, why do what they do. Just think first, never burst. Or you’ll find out, that you’re only making things worse". I need to keep that in mind... disagreements are always bound to happen in families. It's about how you respond to it. I guess." That's a really nice constatation, to be honest.
    An optimistic end of this song's farewell.

Let's see how long its companion, "Fountain of Truth", will last.

And if anyone wants to hear it again:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    soratami, M24, sesita and 14 others like this.
  16. Oh, wow. That's Gaga on the hook? Yikes. That was not good. Not sure if it was the vocal itself or the vocal production.

17. I know! It's crazy how different her voice sounds. It could be a mixture of both, to be honest. It's probably her weakest vocal performance that's recorded in studio, which is odd, because she nails some of the live performances during 2005/2006.

myblood, Remorque, elektroxx and 2 others like this.
  18. A very acceptable first out! It would make sense that this would be more universally disliked than my preferred picks! Let’s hope those low scores of mine will end up leaving soon! Sunday is also eager for that song that gave her a fright to go! Ddddd

I like being the Commentary Master - I’ll take it!! :D

Phonetics Girl, myblood, Maki and 4 others like this.
  19. Yeah, no complaints on this one departing. The vocals...

Phonetics Girl, myblood, Maki and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.