Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 23 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. What even are those... whatever that's supposed to be the production values on World Family Tree? It actually hurts my ears to listen to the song. I know the message is cute or whatever, but I'm simply not here for it.

How sweet of you to think Googz actually recorded those vocals in the studio. They sound as if she just sang them in her tape recorder and pressed "send".

soratami, Crisp X, myblood and 4 others like this.
  2. Well, the writer of the audio book invited her to the studio, so I'm afraid it was recorded like that. But, yeah, looks like the production is the biggest downside here.
    Oh, and you should've voted here. Although I you're busy with your own rate, and I didn't even tag you often enough, so it's understandable.

Any predictions as to what may leave next?
    Hint: I'm not happy with that elimination at all.

soratami, myblood, Laurence and 2 others like this.
  3. I have a thing when it comes to demos or unreleased songs, so I wouldn't have voted either way sadly enough. I'm going to follow along and hopefully some surprises show up.

soratami, pop3blow2, myblood and 3 others like this.
  4. Yeah, so so lame. I would have rated it 0, if I wasn't so confused by only using ratings between 1 and 10.

Remorque, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  5. Fair enough. Thanks for joining the reveals!
    You are allowed to give out only one 0, but even if you gave "World Family Tree" a 10, its placement wouldn't change.

The next song we're about to lose is one of the two songs in the bottom 5 that didn't receive any 0's.

6. Then, this would be the song to get that only 0, even though I didn't like the other one much either.

7. I did not give out a 0 but I am positive y'all recognized anything trash in this rate.
    I did give out a lot of different 0s in scores though...

8. Pat

Pat

I laughed.

elektroxx, Laurence, Remorque and 3 others like this.
  9. The sentiment is nice. The harmonies and melodies are nice. Shame about everything else though.
    For some reason, the chorus reminds me a bit of the beginning of Ariana's Lovin' It. So I'd rather just listen to it anyway dd

pop3blow2, Remorque and Maki like this.
  10. There are plenty of comments that made me laugh, so be ready for more of them.

Since I was tracking the position change for all songs, from now on, I'll be adding the 'high peak' and 'low peak' to each song, as well as the number of voters while the song was at that placement. It's interesting to see how drastic the difference is for certain songs.
    And I didn't use it for "World Family Tree", since it was pretty much doomed at the #60 spot throughout the voting period.

soratami, abael, pop3blow2 and 5 others like this.
  11. What's the first eliminated song placement that held #1 at some point?

berserkboi, myblood and Maki like this.
  12. That's a good question! Actually, it's impossible to answer it and you'll find out why...

I mean, as I was the first voter, it's quite obvious that my 11 was at #1 spot, and will be eliminated first out of the songs that were winners at certain point (yeah, that reveals that I didn't give my 11 to the winning song). So, from that point of view, the that song is my 11.

And for that reason, the starting point for these high and low peaks is 5 voters, just so that there's more variety.

On the other hand, I can say that the song that's getting eliminated first and was the runner-up at some point, leaves at #9.

13. I'm very curious to know which is your 11, @Maki!
    I did try to be fair to all songs, but you still said I underscored it.
    My guess is Trigger. I like it, by the way.

soratami, sesita, berserkboi and 2 others like this.
  14. Of course he'd say that, noone else elevened it.

myblood, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  15. Up next is one of the songs that changed its final placement on the very last (34th) voter.

And I'm a bit annoyed by this leaving so early...

Notice the average score jump, though...

Well...

[​IMG]

Fountain of Truth (with Grandmaster Melle Mel)

Average score: 4.737

Highest score:
    9 x 1 (@Maki) oop
    Lowest scores: 1 x 3 (@KYLE, @Markus1981, @TéléDex), 1.5 x 1 (@MilesAngel)
    My score: 9

High peak: #53 (7-9 voters)
    Low peak: #59 (23-27 voters, 34 voters)

And just like that, we say goodbye to the songs from "The Portal in the Park". Almost full point ahead of "World Family Tree", the second song from this audio book, "Fountain of Truth" falls. What annoyed me with this one's leaderboard movement is that it was tanked by the final voter, while the song that's at #58 got a higher score from the, causing them to switch places. I knew it's destined to be in the bottom 10, but c'mon, this is not that bad. Of course I (purposely) overscored it and my 9 was just so it doesn't end up completely underrated, but that didn't work. In reality, this is about a point lower than that for me, which would still make me the highest scorer, since the second highest scores after my 9 are a couple of 7's. It's absolutely not surprising that this song didn't do significantly better. What shocked me is that some of the voters scored "World Family Tree" higher than this (looking at you, @Sprockrooster, @AshtrayHeart, @Markus1981 etc.) How's that possible?

Somewhere in 2005, Maura Casey recalls of meeting her: "I met Stefani at the Bitter End Cafe and was awestruck at her abilities. I immediately invited her to feature on a few songs with Melle Mel on this project that we were developing." That's an interesting choice, I must say, but it's even more interesting that she accepted the offer. At least we got this little gem from this, so thanks, Maura!
    The background is basically the same as for the song we eliminated first. Not to repeat that it was recorded in September of 2005, and that Gaga used her new stage name for the first time ever (as Lady Ga Ga), here's a synopsis of the book, previously titled "Scott and The Secret Dimension" (I'm sure all of you must be yearning to find out what it's about lol):
    (@berserkboi found recommending an anime with a similar theme to everyone)
    Anyways, I absolutely love Gaga hook and it struck me the very first time I heard it. I can't help but smile when hearing it. Unlike "World Family Tree", Gaga actually had a hand in writing this song, and I think it's quite obvious based on her parts - that's one catchy chorus. Starting with the repetition of 'clap your hands' , Melle Mel does his thing, and it doesn't bother me as much. The instrumental is interesting (someone mentioned it in the commentary) - there like some type of a higher-pitched, organ-like instrument that makes the song very... whirly? Again, the very clunky production lets it down, and it lacks some more dynamic, but definitely has so much potential. The lyrics are again fitting for this children's book and that can't be disputed. And it's so odd and random to hear Gaga sing about searching for a fountain.

This song actually makes me a bit nostalgic, because I used to have a cassette walkman and listen to songs from one book when I first started learning English (which was around 2004/2005), and they had this cheap, demo-like quality to them, as well as plenty of hooks. Holy crap, I actually remember one song being about pencils, erasers,and sharpeners and vividly remember the picture of these objects jumping around, but can't recall the tune at all. It will be gold if I ever find the book and those cassettes.

Okay, I got a bit carried away, so let's see what the voters have to say about this one.
    @Seventeen Days (5.5) sums up the experience: "Eh. Kind of underwhelming. Somewhat decent vocals I suppose, but otherwise feels like it’s just… there." Fair enough. Similarly, @Laurence (4) says: "I totally forgot about this song but it's a bit meh. Well well... Can't say much."

A lot of you didn't like the rapping, which is very expected.
    @elektroxx (5) says: "Gaga's bits are decent, but the feature artist detracts from the song's potential.", and @Sprockrooster (4) agrees: "Those male parts really take it down heavily." @DominoDancing (4) expands on that, saying: "The rap parts are so late 90s it hurts. This generally sounds horribly out of date even for 2005/2006, and the vocal melodies are nothing to write home about." Yikes.

@M24 (6.5) calls it: "The more upbeat song from this era… it's very demo indeed. Not a proper chorus. Glad she never went with this urban sound." Now we have urban and out of date? Interesting.
    Despite giving it a decent score, @pop3blow2 (6.7) is not here for it: "This song was struggling some without the rap… so ummm, yeah, pass." And @berserkboi (6.2) was confused: "This is pretty okay! There is like a vibrating phone sound in the background that had me go looking if there was someone else in the apartment – LOL! Good vibe otherwise!" The power of Gaga! I'm getting "ARTPOP" demo instrumental vibes from that sentence. @VitaminBee (4) compares it to something I've never heard of: "Sounds like it belongs on a Princess Diaries soundtrack. Is this a bad thing? Who knows." an I'm afraid I can't tell if that's good or bad. Perhaps anyone else can? @Pat (4.5) comes for my song choices again: "Why is this in the rate? This feels like a feature kind of thing.." It does sound like a feature, but tEcHnIcAlLy It BeLoNgS hErE.

At the end, @DinahLee (7) perhaps reveals the reason why I like this song so much: "This is such a lowkey bop and I find it super odd that it's one of the oldest songs she ever recorded. It reminds me of... Paper Gangster in a certain way. It's also way closer to the material from The Fame than anything she created in the next years and so on." This is the best commentary, I completely agree about it having a lot more 'Gaga' vibes than the other songs from this section. And "Paper Gangsta" is brilliant - there's never enough praise for it! I hear that comparison, too.

Hopefully some of you will learn to clap your hands:

Oh, and there's this is sped-up and high-pitched version on YouTube that I was used to listening, and it may work better for some of you:

Next up: We're already about to lose the first 10 of this rate. What song (and perhaps whose 10) do you think it will be?
    (Luckily, it's not mine)

16. Aww, it could've hold out for at least another two eliminations. I love that organ and how gospel it sounds.

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  17. Pat

Pat

Glad to see these audio book songs leave first. Sorry @Maki but I'm standing my ground. I could do without these. I feel like these songs were just a quick money grab for Gaga and not really part of her 'artistic legacy', if that makes sense.

18. M24

M24

I don't agree with that first elimination! Yes, "World Family Tree" is kind of cheesy and not that much of a good song, but it's cute! I can't say the same for "Fountain of Truth".. I don't find anything catchy in that chorus, sorry @Maki.

Anyway, I'd rather an Artpop demo went out before these two. I mean, "Cake Like Lady Gaga" is right there you people! That isn't even listenable, unlike the first songs that left this rate already.

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  19. I'm fucking screaming at the last 2 songs. Not that I expected them to get any high placement but nn.
    I lowkey enjoy Fountain Of Truth. Family Tree does feel like it goes on forever and whoever produced her vocals probably hated her nn. But I like Both songs. I think they're way interesting.

Maybe I'm a ReDone Apologist and sucker for anything that had some synths on it nn.

Also for some reason I didn't get the @ mention on any of the posts but I'll be checking the thread manually anyway then.

20. Cake Like Lady Gaga can vacate immediately, thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.