Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 24 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. I completely understand that these audio book songs generally aren't liked and it's not a surprise that they are already out. Gaga herself probably forgot that she even recorded these.
    It's just that I have some kind of sympathy towards "Fountain of Truth", whatever the exact reason may be.

Only the first five users who are tagged get the notification. So, if you're among the highest/lowest scorers, it's more likely that you'll get a notification.

Three of my lowest scores are still in here, by the way.

soratami, Remorque, myblood and 3 others like this.
  2. No offense to y'all, but some of y'all are honestly saying that the audiobook tracks deserved to outlast "Cake Like Lady Gaga"?! A mess.

"Cake Like Lady Gaga" might be divisive—personally, I love it—but at least it is actually listenable and doesn't sound like it was recorded in a closet.

3. Yeah Cake Like is bad in an iconic way.
    Can't help but bop.
    And it at least sounds more... finished than some of the tracks still standing.

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  4. I don't think many of us necessarily went in scoring the more "finished" tracks higher considering it is a demo rate... My corner was rewarding the stuff that was least offensive to my ears up to songs I actually enjoyed! Ddddd

myblood and Remorque like this.
  5. RIP.gif
    For some reason I thought Fountain of Truth was making it to the top half. It isn't great, but its nowhere near that bad.

soratami, DinahLee, myblood and 5 others like this.
  6. Just like World Family Tree, Fountain of Truth hurts to listen to. And that's not even a demo, y'all... It made it to an actual audiobook.

I will say, I actually like GaGa's part here and you can definitely see some of what would make her lyricism so unique. And I prefer that sped-up version to the slower one...

elektroxx, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  7. Shoot me, but I definitely consider the audiobook songs better than "Cake Like Lady Gaga".

@abael, I wouldn't go as far as saying "Fountain of Truth" could've reached the top half, but I didn't see it being so low, either.
    Nice that you saw the potential. Perhaps I should've included the sped-up version of it, maybe it would've contributed to a slightly better placement. A shame that it isn't an official one.

The next elimination should be fun...

8. Can't wait! But these were definitely bottom 2.

elektroxx, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  9. This is a pretty great bottom 2, although my very bottom is not out yet and I hope it comes very soon.

I gave these a 0 and a 0.5 until I was reminded that we could only give one 0.

World Family Tree was rated higher by me because there is a nicer melody in the music. But what in holy hell are those vocals? Fountain Of Truth is painful to listen to with the incessant keyboard sound throughout.

10. This is an exciting one - the song that caused a random challenge, all due to a hilarious situation.

Let's find out which song made @berserkboi's cat run away!

But, first of all, your guesses.

Eight participants (thanks for taking part!) and seven songs...

Of course this one isn't leaving yet.

Scream, but...

[​IMG]

This is pretty close, actually. But nope...

Doing a little connection game here, I see. However...
    [​IMG]

@berserkboi would've been happy if it was this one, but...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is actually a great guess, but...
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, none of you were correct.

But I don't blame you, since that song is...​

[​IMG]

Master Heartbreaker (live)

Average score: 4.838

Highest scores:
    10 x 1 (@m_dimitrov), 9.5 x 1 (@TéléDex)
    Lowest scores: 0 x 1 (@Markus1981), 1 x 1 (@myblood)
    My score: 6.25

High peak: #54 (14 voters)
    Low peak: #59 (7 voters, 28-33 voters)

The 'Early years' section keeps taking hit after hit. What's interesting about this one is that it generally wasn't polarizing. The next highest score is a 7,5 followed by a few 7's, and the next lowest scores are a lot of 3's. So, apart from these high and low extremes, it was fairly consistently scored. @Markus1981 loses their 0 right after mentioning it - they must be happy with that. I must note that the final voter's (@TéléDex) high score made this song place above "Fountain of Truth", which received a 1 from him. That leaves me bitter.

Written Solely by Gaga in late 2005 or early 2006, "Master Heartbreaker" becomes the first live song to be eliminated, and I agree that it's the weakest one out of them, even though it isn't bad at all. The song was only performed live once at the Cutting Room on March 23th, 2006 and that's where this audio comes from. The entire Stefani Germanotta Band was credited for the performance. It is not known whether the song was ever recorded in the studio, and if it was, it was most likely produced by Joe Vulpis, who did the production for the "Red and Blue" EP.

It's yet another outlier compared to the rest of Stefani/Gaga's music, and with that comes a lot of hesitation to giving higher scores. The ill-lit, pitch-black vibe of the song really makes an impression, whether good or bad. I can imagine Stefani singing this as a cat (yes, a cat) villain for some 70's movie. The lyrics are also very dark: Oh this devil in my mouth / and when we kiss I'll pull him out is an evil, showcases the revengeful, evil side of Gaga that we rarely hear in her output. Also, the lines Don't open my eyes / don't let her out, she's not nice can be seen as her own Sleeping Beauty twist. Another thing that is notable about this song is that is has many "layers" - you have a whole verse, pre-chorus, chorus, post-chorus sequence repeated and it still manages to sound a bit... The instrumentation is quite unusual, too. Those bongo drums mixed with slinky guitar and frantic piano riff make somewhat of a acid jazz and punk rock mix - literally a genre of its own. There are some retro influences, too. I love how expressively she plays the piano, as well as how passionate her delivery is, but those evil-seductive 'ah ah ah' moans and screams near the end sound unnecessary to me and are a bit off-putting. There are some positive quirks, though - the guitar squelches make me raise an eyebrow a bit. Of course, the audio quality lets it down, although it's good enough to be included here.

Overall, I think it's up to whether you enjoy this kind of sound and if the melody clicks. I'm somewhere in between - the melody doesn't do much, but the odd aspect of the song makes me interested.

Of course we should open the commentary section with @berserkboi's (3.5) explanation: "The sound quality isn’t great but the tune I can make out isn’t grabbing me either! The adlibs are not great either! My cat Sunday just ran away when this started again Ddddd".
    When I asked @berserkboi why that song, he said that their cat hates low audio quality music. Imagine "Changing Skies" doing nothing, but this song making the cat run. That's a clever cat! Actually, you should teach Sunday to play a piano, maybe even form a band with the neighborhood cats, and do a proper HQ performance of "Master Heartbreaker" (or another SGBand song that it doesn't hate).​

Some of you, for example @Petit nain des Îles (7.5), found it interesting and enjoyed it: "I never thought I’d hear something like that from Stefani. It makes me imagine what would come out if she led a jazz prog rock band? The meltdowns that would be had." @elektroxx (7) seems to agree: "This sounds like it had potential." Meanwhile, @Laurence (5) is not convinced: "Very rocky, it doesn't click for me that well... Not a bad song per se, but it is missing the Gaga magic." It definitely misses something. And @Pat (4) puts it short, saying: "Yeah, I don’t like this.."

The quality presented another issue for a lot of you.
    Starting with, @yeRleDanaL (3), who says: "Idk if it's the poor quality or what, but I just cannot get into this track. Sounds like a hot mess, especially with those bongos." More like a cold mess, given the temper of the song, but it is messy.
    @M24 (6) says: "The quality is a bit muddled. It's a bit rocky for me anyway." Rocky and muddled indeed! @Seventeen Days (4) would be intrigued if there was a studio version: "Maybe this would be better if it wasn’t potato quality. Not feeling it otherwise."
    On the more negative side, @DominoDancing (3) not only blames the quality, but criticizes the song itself: "The quality of the recording does not do this any favours, but I don't hear anything great here. It obviously doesn't work as a pop song, and for a proper freakout song it's much too tame." I don't think this song is tame, nor that there isn't anything good to take from here, but it definitely isn't among the better songs anyway.

For most of us, this isn't a loss of any kind, so it's all good (for now).

The live (and only) performance of this song. Very 'high-school band with an amazing leader':

@berserkboi, you have a unique cat.​

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  11. I didn't think this would leave so early, it's an amazing song, I really hope that a studio version will appear someday

Crisp X, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  12. I most certainly am happy with that! I thought this song was horrendous. Just a cacophonous noise and I couldn't find any redeeming quality. The fact this song was given a 10 has completely baffled me.

13. Sunday is indeed a very special girl! Here are some photo examples!

thumbnail_Image (2).jpg Practicing Social Distancing

thumbnail_Image (1).jpg
    Kicking me for listening to that song twice!

thumbnail_Image.jpg
    Pretending she is a ringtail possum!

14. You didn't include my guess @Maki.

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  15. If it exists, I hope it surfaces, too. And sorry that your 10 is gone first!
    Well, each to their own. And there are even more polarizing songs yet to come, so stay tuned!
    This is adorable! She reminds me of one of the brindled cats I used to have. Sad story is that it was ran over by a car while it was still a kitten and died. I wasn't aware of that and thought that someone took the cat or it got lost. And no one told me the truth until a few years ago my parents confessed that they didn't want to tell me the real reason it 'disappeared' so I don't get sad. Yeah, that's the story.

Oh, I'm so sorry! For a moment, I thought there's something missing, but didn't want to check twice. My bad.
    The post is edited now.

Even though no one guessed the song correctly, thank you for taking part @VitaminBee, @soratami, @yeRleDanaL, @Sprockrooster, @elektroxx, @MilesAngel, @pop3blow2 and @Untouchable Ace!

16. What a sad story about your cat @Maki! I had a dog I adored die like that once! It was so heartbreaking, still hurts to think about it sometimes. Pets are the best!!

17. Today I learned @berserkboi's cat is a Tidal Hifi subscriber.

18. M24

M24

Too bad the "Early Years" era took another hit, oh well, it's not like I liked this one much either. Y'all better not continue this carnage of songs from this period until we're done with the Artpop and BTW awful demos, thank you very much.

19. Considering how early it left, I'm glad that it wasn't "Animal" that scared @berserkboi's cat.

20. I can reveal that the next cut will be from another section. Any guesses which section/song could it be?

spaceship, soratami, M24 and 6 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.