Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 25 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Born This Way or The Fame sessions.

2. Let's say Artpop just for mess creating purpose.

3. It is probably either early period or pre The Fame era (Let Love Down era... not that song though).

myblood, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  4. Based on scores, I'm hoping that it's either "Glitter & Grease," "Ribbons" or "Something Crazy."

5. One of you guessed it right, but I'm not revealing it yet.

It's none of these songs (also, you have another song scored lower than "Glitter and Grease" and "Ribbons").

6. Oh, did I? Aside from the audiobook tracks, I feel like a lot of my scores were really midrange.

spaceship, myblood, Maki and 2 others like this.
  7. I listened to Master Heartbreaker and it's a song that tries to be unique and interesting, but ultimately fails on all counts. Yes, she plays the piano with her whole body, but that piano line is totally what ruins the song for me.

She sounds fantastic, but that's about it.

Laurence, myblood, Maki and 1 other person like this.
  8. Pat

Pat

So far all the songs that I disliked most are gone, hopefully we can continue this trend.

9. Okay, but I've just relistened to Master Heartbreaker a couple of times and... I'd actually love to hear an updated, slick version of the song now.

10. Yeah, there is definitely some potential, it just falls a bit flat in that performance, like you've said.

Sorry, but there won't be an elimination today because I had to do some homework today (and of course I sent it last-minute). I'll try my best to post the elimination earlier tomorrow.

The next song we're losing probably won't upset anyone, and it's also the only remaining song in the bottom five that didn't receive any 0's.

11. I got a bit busy and couldn’t finish rating Pre-Fame sessions songs for this rate dd. They’re a bit too much honestly.

But I’ll be perched here for the kiis. Really liking the results so far.

12. The song that held the #59 spot for the longest time is next.

Also the first song to have a 5+ average score...

Gaga...

...dada...

...jawa...

...peace!

[​IMG]

You're All My Little Monsters

Average score: 5.163

Highest scores:
    9.5 x 1 (@berserkboi), 8.8 x 2 (@pop3blow2, @MilesAngel)
    Lowest scores: 1 x 2 (@VitaminBee, @TéléDex), 1.75 x 1 (@AllGagaLike)
    My score: 7.5

High peak: #56 (32 voters)
    Low peak: #59 (6, 8-20, 22 voters)

And the shortest song of this rate falls. This is like a bonus song I ended up including last-minute, so that the final song list would be up to 60, which is a round number (yeah, me and my OCD). Apart from 10 and 0 peaks, it actually received the entire spectrum of points, which is justified by its average score. As you can see, this was almost its peak position, and I was almost sure it was going to be in the bottom three, so this is a pretty good showing for a 1 minute soundtrack song. After all, I don't think anyone will consider it a big loss.

"You're All My Little Monsters" (also called "Little Monsters" or "Monster") was recorded in August 2011, for The Simpsons episode called 'Lisa Goes Gaga' (as if that wasn't obvious enough), the last episode of the 23rd season, which was first aired on May 20th, 2012. To my surprise, it was written by Tim Long with no mention of Lady Gaga, but I'm sure she contributed to the song, at least melodically, and just wasn't put as the main writer. Anyways, she portrays herself in that episode, and has recorded the voice-over in four days (from August 22nd to 26th).

This video sums up all the behind the scenes talk:

Gaga receiving praise from the entire team - we love to see it!

The episode is based on Gaga spreading postitivity in Springfield and inspiring people to believe in themselves, especially Lisa. I love The Simpsons, but yet have to watch this episode in full. And I have to do that as soon as possible, especially when it includes things like:

The Lady Gaga Express
    [​IMG]

The meat dress
    [​IMG]

As well as plenty of her outrageous costumes and shoe references
    [​IMG]

While the episode gained a lot of viewers, critical responses to the episode were mixed to negative. Lady Gaga was praised, but the concept wasn't. The critics usually thought that too much was revolving around Gaga and her iconic moments. But it wouldn't be fun without that?

The more realistic review comes from Rowan Kaiser: And yet, as annoying as this episode was in concept and generally in execution, it wasn’t that painful to actually watch. Cartoon Lady Gaga’s costumes and theatricality were still entertaining. And even some of the Gaga-specific portions made me laugh, like Homer cooking Gaga’s meat dress and eating it, or Bart dressing Maggie up as “Baby Goo-goo.” Against my better judgment, I was moderately entertained.
    Okay, I really need to watch it right now.

The episode also sparked theories and appears in several 'How Simpsons predicted future' videos with this harness bit compared to her Super Bowl performance (but was clearly influenced by her pyrotechnic bra/leotard she had around 2009/2010):
    [​IMG]

While everyone usually talks about that moment, I find it fascinating that they did this with the Grammys:
    [​IMG]

Gaga had five awards at the time it was recorded, but the way the started racking them up recently, she'll soon be able to make this dress.

Another thing I want to point out about the episode is that this isn't the only song that includes Gaga. Song called "Superstar" (no, not the one that we're rating here) appears in the episode, but is mainly performed by Lisa, near the end of the episode. It's another endearing little ditty:

"You're All My Little Monsters" has much more Gaga in it (and the version in the episode includes a line from Grampa Simpson, who of course I had to include him in the artwork), so it ended up being included. I think it's a really good song, but when something barely makes it to one minute in length, it can't get a higher score than a 9 from me. And that one minute encapsulates the "Born This Way" album message and sound, both lyrically and musically, just as the episode does (from what I've read) - it's all about self-acceptance. While I love certain parts, such as the subtle intro and the way she sings the line "Monsters only need to love the monsters that they are", there's obviously something missing and it's a bit too basic, so I settled on a 7.5 as my score.

The key word is cute, and that applies to your commentary, too.

Starting off with @elektroxx (7) saying: "This is a cute little Gaga pastiche for The Simpsons." My thoughts exactly.
    @Music Is Life (8): "This is cute" and @spaceship (8): "This is too cute" not only gave it the same score and pretty much the same commentary, but also voted one after another. I'm suspicious...
    @Phonetics Boy (5) "A cutie but it better not outlast actual songs." Let's be honest, it's always fun to see how many actual songs these 'interludes' outlast, isn't it?
    @Pat (5.5) says: "Cute, but I feel like this one-off doesn’t really belong in this rate." This is the third (and better be the last time) you question my inclusion choices, haha.
    And @DinahLee (7) gets bitter: "So cute she’d toss out a song for Simpsons and now we have to wait til god knows to hear a promo single J" Please don't remind me of this 'era'... I refuse to believe it's actually happening.

Our highest scorer, @berserkboi (9.5), is charmed by the song: "Triumphant for a minute, but since it is technically Born This Way for dummies – I don’t believe a 10 is in order…" Yeah, I definitely saw this as one of the songs without any 10's. The 'Born This Way for dummies' is a perfect description of this. On the other hand, unsatisfied @Sprockrooster (6) proclaims: "I am not a fan of the Simpsons and this... did not make it better. When Kesha did in tongue-in-cheek with Princess Kesha it worked better." I know who Kesha is (the girl who invented that TikTok app, right?), but have no idea who's Princess Kesha, so I can't form an opinion about this comment, except from that I'm judging you for not being a fan of The Simpsons.
    @DominoDancing (6) states the facts: "All this had to do was to sound like a generic Gaga pastiche, and I guess it does that well enough." Exactly. Someone who has watched this episode, @Laurence (6), gives it the same score, but is more positive: "This is beautiful - it just is. Any records broken with that episode? I loved it teehee" Checking the Wikipedia page, it says that the episode acquired almost 5 million viewers, so maybe some records were broken, especially given the Gaga craze at the time.

Almost giving the song its actual average score, @Untouchable Ace (5.2) has a suggestion: "There's not much to it. Maybe a fan-made edition is in order with a repeated part made into a chorus?" I'm sure something like that exists, given how many fan-made edits her songs have.
    The only negative commentary is from @yeRleDanaL (2), who probably took this way too seriously: "Wow. Lyrics... A mess. Composition... A mess. I can't believe that was heard by the public in any capacity." I hope you realized that this was written for The Simpsons episode.

Let's end with @M24 (6.5), who puts it nicely: "Basic but I've heard worse, after all this is just a song for her Simpsons ep."

Lyric video (notice the randomly hilarious excerpts from the artRAVE tour added):

Funny thing is that, on some of the YouTube videos of the song, there are some comments how Gaga is evil and offends people who are hairy, stupid etc. They're clearly missing the point. Gaga sold her soul to Illuminati vibes...

Performance video taken from the episode:

Hopefully some of you will watch this episode. I'm a bit ashamed that I haven't yet...​

13. Pat

Pat

I think it was the last time I questioned your inclusion choices. <3

14. Ooh you are in for a treat:

TéléDex, myblood, Crisp X and 6 others like this.
  15. I like the song and I was obsessed with Simpsons in 2012. Happier and Easier times.
    The beat is actually very interesting nn

16. You're All My Little Monsters is a lovely bit of fluff, but it being included here is a kii and a half.

But it's still just that... Fluff.

myblood, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  17. Wow, that surely is... something. I really liked the intro of the song until it distilled into "TiK ToK" on drugs. But the video is hilarious. It's so signature Ke$ha in sound/vibe, too. But, to be fair, I think you can't compare it to a show like The Simpsons, which does over the top comedy in another way.
    Weird that I have never seen this video, when Funny Or Die was one of the channels I watched relatively often at the time - kind of nostalgic for that reason. Thanks for sharing it.

I was so obsessed with The Simpsons Movie back in late 00's and frequently watched their episodes on TV. Seen the movie at over 30 times and never got bored of it. I surely didn't even get all the jokes at the time. And I vividly remember Maggie saying 'sequel?' at the very end of the movie, but it never happened.
    It's been years since I watched it the last time - must do that very soon as it would be an amazing throwback.

It's the 'Special Deluxe Christmas Edition' bonus track of this rate, and it earned its place.

18. I'm not mad about any of these eliminations. Master Heartbreaker deserved a bit better though. I didn't really like it at first but it definitely grows on you. Also, how is Take You Out still here?

Remorque, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.