Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 26 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Now I want to rewatch that Simpsons episode, has it been 9 years since it came out?? Apparently it's ranked the worst Simpsons episode of all time, I think this is as @Maki mentioned, the episode centres too much around Gaga and her cultural impact, rather than delivering an actual story.

myblood, spaceship, Remorque and 3 others like this.
  2. Without revealing too much, let's just say it's going to be here for a while.
    That's on my weekend's bucket list, too. And of course the episode revolves around Gaga, since she's such an iconic celebrity.

myblood, Laurence, Remorque and 4 others like this.
  3. I remember watching the Gaga episode back when it aired and enjoying it a lot. I need to rewatch it sometime. Can't remember how the song goes though dd

myblood, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  4. The next elimination...

[​IMG]

sesita, Pat, Phonetics Girl and 8 others like this.
  5. Ribbons surely?

(I hope it isn’t your 11!)

6. [​IMG]

myblood, spaceship, Remorque and 3 others like this.
  7. No. (and of course it's not my 11)

There is a lot to say about the next elimination, so I'll be posting it tomorrow.

8. Back on Track!
    gagasmashndance.gif

myblood, Maki, spaceship and 2 others like this.
  9. First of all, with this elimination, I can say:
    [​IMG]

But...

Y'all wanted a twist?

How about we eliminate an 11 before we're even out of the bottom 5?

Wait... that sentence looks familiar.

Oh...

How ironic.

Also...

Were they kidding?

Let's find out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (artwork found online)

Cake Like Lady Gaga

Average score: 5.315

Highest scores:
    11 x 1 (@soratami), 10 x 2 (@HEARTCORE, @Ana Raquel)
    Lowest scores: 0 x 2 (@Seventeen Days, @AshtrayHeart), 1 x 2 (@Petit nain des Îles, @MilesAngel)
    My score: 2.5

High peak: #45 (10 voters)
    Low peak: #56 (14 voters, 34 voters)

Wow. I don't even know how to start this write-up. The most interesting elimination in different ways and easily one of the most divisive songs of the rate. I literally gasped when I saw this song receive an 11. Also, it represents the song that received the lowest score from me in any of the rates I've took part in so far. Having multiple 0's and 1's dragged it down until the final voter made the song hit its rock bottom on the leaderboard, when it swapped places with the song that's now at #55.
    Poor @soratami.

"Cake Like Lady Gaga" (sometimes called "Cake" or "Trap") has a unique background. It was all DJ White Shadow's fault idea. On September 19th, 2012, he decided to do an experimentation on Twitter by releasing a new instrumental track called "Trap". It was uploaded on Soundcloud, asking fans to wirte a rap for it. He also added that if the lyrics were about Lady Gaga that it was worth more points and the fans had a couple of hours to submit their rap. As soon as the deadline is hit, the winner will be chosen and the song will be released. After a couple of submissions, DJ White Shadow tweeted that he got "the one" and that "You still have a little time. But you are going to have a hard time beating this one!". Later, he revealed that the "winner" was asked to not to be announced and that he decided to add a bridge to complete the demo.

Afterwards, DJ White Shadow uploaded the new track as "Trap aka Cake". The vocals are made up of two voices, one is the rapper's voice which was pitched down to give it a manly tone and DJ White Shadow doing some background vocals. Of course, Little Detectives got their hand on reverse pitching the song and the rapper's identity turned out to be Lady Gaga. Yeah, how surprising... She wrote the lyrics and DJ White Shadow completed the song behind the scenes, while the fans frantically tried to write the lyrics/rap. A mess, and "ARTPOP" era hasn't even started at the time.

Here's Gagapedia's take one the lyrics (because I surely have no will to re-listen to the song and discuss them):
    The subject of the lyrics is Lady Gaga seen as a money ("cake") maker using elements inherent of hip hop culture: "champagne", "private plane", "bank roll", "sold out show", "Phantom Pearl". The lyrics could also be seen as a take on gangsta rap with the profanity, implied violence, drug reference. Some of the verses refer to Lady Gaga's life including Donatella (Versace) designing clothes for her, "papa Joe" (her dad name, Joe), "Singing Paparazzi" (her song "Paparazzi"), a mention of her 30 million fans on Twitter, name dropping Hedi (Slimane) who did the photoshoot of "The Fame Monster" who is now at "Yves" (Saint Laurent), "Prada" and more.
    Yeah, exactly the type of lyrics that don't appeal to me, especially when paired with this sound. (and, yes, I'm very aware that "The Fame" album exists)

There's also this Mugler Remix (liked below), which included new verses using a different pitch change, but I haven't heard it yet.

Gagapedia helps me with this, too: On November 15th, 2012, Lady Gaga uploaded a 15 second footage of her at one of her hotel party in São Paulo. The footage was cut to the song "Cake Like Lady Gaga".

[​IMG]

If you didn't know my music preferences, rap/hip hop is one of the very few music genres I can't really tolerate. And this song has... a whole lot of it. In a way, this can be compared to Beyoncé's "Bow Down/I Been On", only that it's way worse. Of course it's not meant to be taken as a serious song, but the absolute absence of melody, the horrendous lyrics (which I know aren't meant to be taken seriously) and the voice she puts on while spitting these braggy lines - it all makes me shudder a bit. I dislike "Jewels n' Drugs", but at least Gaga's verse in that song is redeeming. This is on a whole another level of bad. I was tempted t give it a 1 or even my 0. However, the relatively nice dramatic instrumental was the tiny glimpse of hope I saw in this absolute cacophony. Actually, I admittedly like that little instrumental break. Anyways, RapGa is a big no. Overall, I think this is one of the very few moments that are offensively bad and I just want to erase from her music output. In total, I think I played it three times from beginning to the end.
    Sorry, but "Cake Like Lady Gaga" definitely remains my least favourite song by Lady Gaga.

At least I'm not alone. You can easily see how the song was controversial and divisive based on the commentary.
    One of the voters who enjoys this song is @elektroxx (9), who hits hard with the realism: "This is such a guilty pleasure. Objectively, it's terrible but I personally love it." Yes, that's the key! Everything about this song is subjective.
    @berserkboi (3) makes a good point: "Lame, made even lamer considering it is recent!" and @M24 (2) says: "Ew, pure trash.". Both of you are correct.
    @AshtrayHeart
    (0) makes his choice clear, simply saying: "Nope, sorry." I completely understand you.
    @Music Is Life (4) is boggled: "Why would you inflict this on us?". Now, a counterquestion: Is this commentary directed towards me or Gaga?

On the completely other spectrum, we have @Ana Raquel (10), who "This song is a MESS I love it." At least you acknowledge that the song is a mess.
    @Pat (6) attempts to be optimistic: "Quite enjoyable actually if you don’t take it too seriously. " Sorry, but this remains horrible, either if I take it seriously or not. In a similar manner, @Laurence (7) says: "This parody track I can appreciate, considering the R&B stints she previously had... Well, cool hun." Even from this point of view, I can't appreciate this song, and this is coming from someone who loves parodies.

One of the two voters who slapped a zero on it, @Seventeen Days didn't even give it a chance: "I listened to this for exactly 10 seconds and hoped out. Jewels ’n Drugs Part 2? No fucking thank you." I can absolutely get behind this. And yes at the "Jewels 'n Drugs" reference! At least that one doesn't feel like a torture when you listen to it.

Let's finish this off with @DominoDancing (4), who has a welcome demand: "Insert gif of Kirsten Dunst chuckling here." And it's more than a perfect use in this case:
    [​IMG]
    This is literally my reaction whenever I even think of this song.

And since our famous 11-giver @soratami didn't say anything about this... choice, I'm literally dying to find out why this got the highest score from him. Is this the 'This is iconically bad, I'm going to eleven it!' case?
    What happened?

Even though many (including me) may find it rather outrageous, I think he deserves around of applause for making this bold choice.

Give it a listen if you want, but I'm not pressing play on this:

And the aforementioned remix that hasn't received a listen from me yet:

The live performance (kind of like an interlude):

Let the meltdowns (and cheering) commence...​

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    M24, Robsolete, yeRleDanaL and 15 others like this.
  10. What next, Fancy Pants got an 11 too? Ddddd

Ah @soratami - you amaze me in the most unusual way and I am here for it!! Lol

11. i thought about 11ing it as well. thank you @soratami for doing this for me love you

12. What can I say, Cake is a huge banger. The production slaps, the lyrics are extremely quotable, and while there are other great songs in the rate, it's by far the one I listened to the most and the one I kept coming back to. I guess even six years after being released, it continues to be too ahead of its time for certain people.

13. Why does it look like she just crapped that pile of money though?
    I love the creative process of the song dd

14. I had no idea you actually knew and loved the song for years.
    It's not judging you for choosing it, of course, but it really was surprising for me to see it actually get an 11 from someone. I mean, I can totally see some of you wanting to do a pole dance while "Cake Like Lady Gaga" is playing, but it just does nothing to me, except making me want to turn it off.
    This rate in general proves how much the opinions differ. More examples will follow very soon.

At least I hope this elimination wasn't too surprising for some of you I've always envisioned it being one of the first few cuts.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that @soratami's conversation title for this rate's scores is gold:
    Rating songs like Lady Gaga, sending scores like Lady Gaga

15. Also, the only full performance of the song was here in Brazil, if I'm correct. We win, I guess?

And I always enjoyed this sped up version much more anyway. It's more boppable, sorta.

16. I know she performed it live multiple times during The Born This Way Ball and artRAVE, but not that there's a full performance of it, so thanks for sharing this.

Another 'fun fact' about the song is that the sped up version you posted was unofficially released on iTunes and Spotify under the name Jay Tromp, which was later taken down from both music sites.
    How random?

Up next:
    The complete opposite of "Cake Like Lady Gaga" when it comes to scoring - one of the most consistently scored songs. It's the first 'properly unreleased' song we're losing, too. Also, it appears in the section we haven't touched yet.

Any hopes/guesses?

17. Safe to say We Are Plastic won't knock many more songs out, right??

Untouchable Ace, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  18. I can't say anything detailed about it yet, but...
    ...it's not the next elimination.

19. I couldn't formulate an opinion on Cake because after all these years I'm still not sure of how I feel about it.
    I love that she recorded these clips in my city tho.
    -
    Just realized my 11 (and most of my 10's) will probably peak low and now I'm... Upset. They all DESERVE a place inside top30.

I'd say the hint about it being something "properly unreleased" (officially "outtake-y"?) could be either Stuck on Fucking You or something from 2008-9 batch.
    Or actually something from ARTPOP. dd.

soratami, Maki, Remorque and 3 others like this.
  20. Poor @soratami. I should've given "Cake Like Lady Gaga" a 10.

myblood, soratami, Maki and 1 other person like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.