Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 30 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Let's do a recap, shall we?

TOP 50:

2005/2006 - Early years

Captivated (live)
    Electric Kiss (live)
    Hollywood

Master Heartbreaker (live)
    Fountain of Truth
    World Family Tree

~

Red and Blue EP

Something Crazy
    Wish You Were Here
    No Floods
    Words
    Red and Blue

~

2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

Vanity
    Blueberry Kisses
    Retrosexual
    Dirty Ice Cream
    Fever
    Retro-Physical
    Spin U Around
    Glitter and Grease
    Fancy Pants
    Ribbons

When She Go/Go, Go, Go
    Kandy Life
    Reel Cool
    Let Love Down
    Rockshow
    Oh Well
    Sexy Ugly

We Are Plastic (Melt In the Summer)
    Shake Your Kitty
    Love Sick Girl/Yay Ha
    Trigger
    Wonderful

~

2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

Filthy Pop
    Oh Baby
    Panty Party
    New York
    Shut Up
    Take You Out
    Fashion

Your Freakin' Car
    The Greatest Thing
    Fooled Me Again

~

2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

Nothing On (But the Radio)
    Animal
    Out of Control
    Freakshow
    Second Time Around
    Earthquake
    Reloaded
    Superstar
    No Way
    Future Love (live)

~

2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions (R.I.P.)

Changing Skies
    You're All My Little Monsters
    Stuck on Fuckin' You

~

2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

Brooklyn Nights
    Posh Life
    Stache (with Zedd)

Cake Like Lady Gaga

What do you think will leave next? What do you want to leave next?

myblood, soratami, pop3blow2 and 8 others like this.
  2. Something Crazy
    Red and Blue
    Spin U Around
    Fancy Pants
    Reel Cool
    Love Sick Girl/Yay Ha
    Oh Baby

can go.

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  3. Aside from The Fame Monster sessions (besides "Future Love"), "Fashion" and "Fooled Me Again," I don't mind what leaves next.

berserkboi, Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  4. Half of these are, sorry to say, trash opinions. In fact, I'm currently bopping to one of them.
    None of the songs you mentioned is the next elimination.

5. Yes drag me, the high scorer of the rate right?, for not liking the worst songs of the Top 50.

I'm only joking here, no harm meant!

I'm curious what is eliminated next!

6. Pat

Pat

Same. Now that I think of it, I probably would never listen to this song, because it's so noisy.

myblood, Remorque, berserkboi and 3 others like this.
  7. In fact, you're not the highest scorer (not even among the top 5 average scores, actually), but you did give the highest amount of 10's in the rate (23, if I remember well), so that's an achievement!
    And of course I know you're not serious. Neither am I, but I think that goes without saying it these rates.

Oh, and I just realized that you mentioned "Fancy Pants" in the post. Why would you want it to leave when it got a relatively high score from you?

By the way, I doubt that I'll be able to do an elimination today due to the PJSC voting deadline.
    I'll try to post it, but can't promise anything yet.

8. Sorry, I won't be able to do an elimination today.

But, here's a hint of what's leaving next:
    [​IMG]

(try to think outside the box)

myblood, soratami, yeRleDanaL and 5 others like this.
  9. Words
    Red and Blue
    Electric Kiss
    Love Sick Girl
    Retrosexual
    Freakshow
    Posh Life
    New York
    Shut Up
    the greatest thing

They can all go now

Untouchable Ace, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  10. We Are Plastic does contain the elements to make up a great song, especially with that chorus, but it just all falls a bit flat, I guess? I'm happy they recycled some pieces to use in other songs and I'm actually reminded of Disco Heaven again after hearing it?

[​IMG]

With Changing Skies it's a shame that it all sounds so muddled and you can tell the lyrics were kinda unfinished in parts, but... I actually like it?

myblood, Laurence, DinahLee and 3 others like this.
  11. "The evil is defeated!"
    Changing Skies was the absolute low point of the rate for me, so I am more than happy to see it leave.

OMG @berserkboi, is this our biggest disagreement ever?

myblood, soratami, Laurence and 4 others like this.
  12. Half of these got 9+ scores from me (including two 10's). Mess.
    And I keep double checking because you definitely have lower scores than some of the songs you mentioned.​
    I completely understand this comparison. And I prefer "Disco Heaven" to "We Are Plastic", because has a lot of production details, too, but it all works much better overall.

myblood, soratami, berserkboi and 2 others like this.
  13. Honey, of course you prefer Disco Heaven, because, wel... That one actually has some production values. Changing Skies having absolutely bloody all is what made it go out so early.

myblood, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  14. I mean... as if "Changing Skies" has some redeeming production qualities.
    But "We Are Plastic" definitely didn't deserve to leave before it.

The next elimination is one of the least divisive songs in the entire rate.

myblood, Remorque and berserkboi like this.

15. I only think of the songs that I gave a really high score like 9\10 because in general I feel very... generous. When I see people giving out like 0 and 1 I'm a bit nn. Most of the "low scores" were like... 5 or 7(?)

(Are we allowed to say anything like this or is it spoiling the thing nn, sorry if so)

myblood, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  16. Yeah, I can pretty much say the same. A lot of my scores are a bit higher than they would usually be.
    The thing is that this isn't really a regular rate, so being a bit more lenient was my suggestion. However, of course voters are allowed to give very low scores, simply because they genuinely hate certain songs.

And of course you're allowed to talk about your scores. You could've even 'promoted' your 11 during the voting period, hehe.

myblood, soratami, elektroxx and 2 others like this.
  17. I inflated my score for it so it mightn’t be, we’ll know soon ;)

DominoDancing and Maki like this.
  18. We'll see how you treated each others 11's to answer that...

By the way, anyone got a clue what the next cut will be, based on this hint?

19. I see someone voted for the "Red and Blue" EP in the poll, which is a really nice surprise.

Unfortunately, the EP is about to lose its first song...

...at least it remained intact for the first 10 eliminations.

[​IMG]

Words

Average score: 6.225

Highest scores:
    8.9 x 1 (@pop3blow2), 8.5 x 1 (@TéléDex), 8 x 3 (@AllGagaLike, @CorgiCorgiCorgi, @AshtrayHeart)
    Lowest scores: 3 x 1 (@Markus1981), 3.5 x 1 (@VitaminBee)
    My score: 5.75

High peak: #44 (17 voters)
    Low peak: #52 (9 voters, 10 voters)

And we enter the top 50 with the first elimination from "Red and Blue" EP, leaving The Fame Monster sessions as the only section to remain intact (I know, how surprising). Almost constantly being the lowest placing track from this EP, it was usually around the #48 spot, until the later voters dragged it a few places down. This is also the last out of the three songs which have their highest score lower than a 9 (in this case, just 0.1 points away!), as well as the song with the highest low score so far. Little victories.

Written by Lady Gaga, produced by Joe Vulpis and recorded in late 2005, "Words" is the 4th track off Stefani Germanotta Band's only extended play "Red and Blue". Not only that, but "Words" is actually an EP of its own. How's that? Well, it is originally a demo extended play featuring the same songs that appeared on "Red and Blue", but was sold before that one. To be precise, on January 20th, 2006, it was sold after their gig at The Bitter End (the artwork above is actually the cover of it). The only difference between "Words" and "Red and Blue" EPs is a slightly altered track listing and one of the songs ("No Floods") having a different musical arrangement. The rest may contain a bit more underproduction, but that's a very small difference. The song was performed live only once (on December 17th, 2005 at The Lion's Den), but there's no video nor audio footage of that.
    Instead, here's a cover of Led Zeppelin's "D'yer Ma'ker", performed the same night the "Words" EP was sold:

With distorted guitars and a piano line accompanying it, as well as a slightly atmospheric production, "Words" sounds straight from the 90's. At least I got those vibes. While it's nice enough, it's also very boring. The song begins in a subtle way, and I really like the mellow verses with her gentle vocals. Then, the pre-chorus and chorus come in and ruin the goodness. Her voice seems to be too forced and even unpleasant at times, and it sounds like she wants to hold the certain notes as long as possible. Lyrically, it looks like it's a little empowerment song - a bit ambiguous from that point of view, but completely harmless. The production has a slightly more depth compared to the rest of the EP, which is a nice thing. However, I find the song mostly a bore. One of the biggest snoozes of the entire rate, actually. There's nothing outright bad with it, just that it plods along without anything vaguely exciting happening. The repetitive chorus and the running time of 4 and a half minutes (the longest track on the EP) doesn't do it any justice, either.
    A perfect placement for this song. Definitely the weakest song from the EP in my opinion.

The commentary isn't particularly exciting, but it complements the song itself, so I can't blame you.

Starting with @DominoDancing (4.5), who sums up the experience with two words: "Bit boring." I didn't plan that accidental pun with 'two words' mention, though. @Pat (4) has a perfectly concise comment, too: "This kinda drags." Meanwhile, @Laurence (6) praises another song: "It's an okay song, but falls flat compared to No Floods being before it. It's alright, but a bit meh. Undercooked I guess." 'Meh' is the right... word.

@spaceship (6) actually likes it: "I enjoy this soundscape a lot and I wish she explores this more" It does have a good production, but, to be honest, I wish she never explores this sound. Sorry. @M24 (6.75) is somewhere in between, saying: "It's not my favorite from this EP. It's not bad either." Fair enough.
    But @berserkboi (4.1) sounds a bit angry: "Why oh why did she have to do those annoying vocal affectations so much when holding the notes back then???" Even though I can tolerate her affectations during 'before the fame' years, I can find them a bit off-putting here, too.

On the opposite end, @Untouchable Ace (7.9) boldly states: "Obviously the best song on the EP." Oof, looks like we collectively agreed that this is the weakest song from the EP. But, he's not alone with that opinion. Our highest scorer, @pop3blow2 (8.9), considers this his favorite song off the EP, too (at least according to their score) and says: "This kinda Radio-Disney-Rock for me. So, it’s one of my favorites so far. It does drag on a bit too long, though." But, even with compliments come the critiques about the song dragging.
    When even the biggest fans of this song can't give a fully positive comment on it, you just know it wasn't meant to last long at all.

"I'll take your words and bacon...."

Up next: A complete 180 in terms of sound and lyrics. I expected the song to be much more divisive, though.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    M24, Remorque, abael and 12 others like this.
  20. It's what "World Family Tree" deserved though.
    Damn, I thought that the clue was hinting at "The Greatest Thing." I'm not too fussed about losing "Words." To quote Lady Gaga herself, "Oh Well."

Remorque, myblood, Maki and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.