Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 33 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Oops...

I misread your post! Haha! I just saw you gave it a 11, too.

Remorque, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  2. Oh, please be "Fancy Pants."

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  3. Pat

Pat

Finally 'Posh Life' is gone.

Maki likes this.
  4. The song that was tied with "Posh Life", has more 10's than it and therefore was placed higher...

...which means that someone is losing their 10.

Furthermore, it's their first 10 to be eliminated...

ihavetolaugh.gif

In this case, I'll laugh this way:​

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha, ha-ha-ha-ha

[​IMG]

Fancy Pants

Average score: 6.3470588

Highest scores:
    10 x 1 (@yeRleDanaL), 9 x 1 (@m_dimitrov)
    Lowest score: 2 x 1 (@berserkboi)
    My score: 5.75

High peak: #25 (!) (5 voters)
    Low peak: #48 (7 voters, 8 voters)

First of all, let me reveal that @berserkboi's initial score for "Posh Life" was a 7.5 before he downgraded it to 7.2. If it wasn't for that, "Fancy Pants" and "Posh Life" would've switched places and there wouldn't have been a tie.
    Anyways, this is another song that I expected to be much more divisive. Without @berserkboi's low score, it only received a couple of 4's and the rest of the scores ranged between 5 and 8. As you can see, it even managed to reach top 30 at one point, but that was just before @berserkboi slammed it with that low score and made it drop all the way to #48, and it struggled to move much higher ever since.

"Fancy Pants" is one of the songs written by Lady Gaga and Rob Fusari in 2006. Most likely written during the very early sessions of Team Love Child, after changing her sound (i.e. summer of that year), the song appeared on Lady Gaga's 6-track "mixtape" that's titled "New Material" and posted on her PureVolume page on October 6th, 2006, along with 5 more songs (all of which aren't eliminated yet).
    Also, as most of you already know or have noticed, the song contains a prominent sample of David Bowie's "Fame":

His own on take on funk, also co-written by John Lennon

Funny thing is that "Fancy Pants" is incorrectly labelled as a collaboration with Lady Starlight, but that isn't the case. As Lady Starlight said: "That song was produced before I started working with her. I love that rumor but that is not true." I'm not surprised, since Gaga distorts her vocals to the point it doesn't even sound like her! Another thing that can be noted is that the bonus track "Disco Heaven" mentions the title of "Fancy Pants" in its middle-8. Yet another case of Gaga recycling lyrics during pre-Fame/The Fame days.

"Fancy Pants" is quite bonkers, huh? As soon as the "This is beat is so funny / we made it with their money" opening starts, you know you're up to something... special. Verging towards the "iconically messy", but also "not for me" territory, I can compare it to "Ribbons" for those reasons. The suggestive lyrics are all over the place, but also iconic in a way. I mean, only Gaga can come up with lines such as: "monkey's got a killer groove" and "grab those tight and lacy bottoms". What the hell does she even say in the second verse? "Silly puddy, dongaroos"? I literally have no idea, but it's probably something hilarious.

And let's not forget the iconic "blue jeans with an ass like whoa" line - ended "Why Did You Do That?"

The lyrical bonkers aspect can be easily transferred to the sonic elements, too. Fake, robotic laughter, high pitched voice, (impressive) high notes, monotonous backing track, drunken kitten tic ad-libs, wonky funk sound etc. Intentional cacophony that works from one point of view, but whether someone actually likes it or not depends from person to person. Unfortunately, I don't really like this song and consider it one of her weakest unreleased tracks. Not that I hate it, but it's just hard for me to sit through the entire song without the urge to skip it. The repetitive instrumental/sample and her delivery is just too much for me to sit through it with patience. However, I like the song because of how unique it is. In fact, I'm impressed by how Gaga is determined to sound as obnoxious as possible, making her voice sound almost unrecognizable. The chorus has a cool melodic progression, too.
    Overall, it just too much, I'm afraid.

Fun fact 1: The font used in the artwork is called... Fancy Pants. I just couldn't resist using it.

Fun fact 2: There is an online video game called Fancy Pants (full title is 'The Fancy Pants Adventures') that my best friend and I used to be obsessed with in 5th/6th grade (about 10 years ago). Ah... nostalgia.
    [​IMG]
    There are 3 parts of the game, and I don't know whether I played the final part... it appears that it's been released in 2017. And suddenly I have another "homework" to do!

I may be in a love/hate relationship with this song, but the commentary isn't too divisive.

@elektroxx (6) is the first to bring up a comparison that we'll be seeing a lot in this rate: "This is very Gwen Stefani-lite." The are many more songs that can be compared to Gwen, but I can hear it here, too. @DominoDancing (7.5) "I'm sorry to keep harping on this point, bit this again sounds like a Sweet Escape outtake. Cute Fame sample." I can't help but think it's like that album was a big inspiration for her. Gaga's version of the album probably would've been called "Fancy Escape".

I'm sure @berserkboi (2) is happy with this one, since it's his least favourite song in the rate: "This started out at a zero, so consider the 2 generous! I skipped listening to it a second time as I would have tanked further! LOL" Well, if you weren't so 'generous', it would've been placed lower.

On the completely other side, here's the high scorer, @yeRleDanaL (10), who has an interesting reason for giving this song full marks: "Those high notes GOD. Gaga's highest recorded notes deserves a 10 alone. Of course, a Bowie sample always helps." I think those high notes are impressive, but I think they sound more high than high, if you know what I mean (*hint hint*).
    @Laurence (8.5) likes it: "Great song. Very Prince is it? I like it. Love to jam on it? Well kinda goes on and very Beautiful Dirty Rich and Dirty Ice Cream. A good one for sure." It's more of a mixture of Prince and David Bowie, me thinks. @pop3blow2 (7.5) has a point: "This song is kind of a mess, but there’s some interesting ambition in there." An ambition to sound as crazy as possible indeed!
    @Pat (7) puts their fancy pants on, but just for a moment: "I enjoy the ‘This beat is so funny, we made it with your money, ha-ha, ha-ha-ha’ part, otherwise just an okay outtake." That part is remarkable in being the most gimmicky Gaga has ever sounded. But @M24 is not here for silly putty nor dongaroos, saying: "I hate this, it's no good. And that ironical laugh… ew." , but still gives the song a 6. Generous much?

To sum up, @Seventeen Days (6.5) praises the sample, although isn't too impressed: "Okay, automatic bonus points to Gaga for sampling David Bowie’s “Fame” on this one. I don’t see myself returning to this one a lot, but it’s pretty good." This didn't get any bonus points from me, but I can agree in not returning to this one nearly as much.​

Fancy, fancy, you're so fancy...

Up next: My biggest loss so far. It's the only song of its kind in the top 50 in multiple ways.

M24, Remorque, myblood and 13 others like this.
  5. Finally! Wonder what my lowest score left is now....

Maki likes this.
  6. A tragedy.

Phonetics Girl and Maki like this.
  7. Given that you awarded twenty 10's (which is one third of total number of songs) in this rate, and lost your first 10 after fifteen eliminations, this is far from tragedy.

The write-up for next cut won't be done today, so I'll try to do two eliminations tomorrow.

8. This song not even managing to reach top 40 is a mess.

And, yes, I'm the highest scorer for it.

Electric...

...KIIIIIiiiiiiiiiIIIIiiIIIIIiiss!

[​IMG]

Electric Kiss (live)

Average score: 6.363

Highest scores:
    9.5 x 1 (@Maki), 9 x 1 (@m_dimitrov), 8.5 x 1 (@TéléDex)
    Lowest score: 3 x 1 (@VitaminBee)
    My score: 9.5

High peak: #26 (5 voters)
    Low peak: #47 (33 voters)

And with this cut, we're down to two songs from 'Early years' section and also two songs that are sung live. You really had to do this one so wrong. I know it's a live recording and a very rare song, but this is definitely too low of a placement for this little gem. I mean, even "Master Heartbreaker" managed to get a 10, but this struggled to get a few higher scores. Underrated.

"Electric Kiss" is song written by Lady Gaga and performed at Ultraviolet Live (NYU's annual talent show) in 2005. To be exact, the performance took place on February 3rd, 2005 when Stefani was 18 years old. and this song was specifically written for that occasion. We'll get to that contest in more detail once "Captivated" is eliminated. But that's not the only performance of the song - Stefani also sung it on April 29th, 2005 when she attended the PIKE Fraternity Formal, probably as some type of special performance, since she didn't have a particular set to perform.

Here's a photo from the event:
    [​IMG]
    The days of long haired and brunette Stefani

Personally, I love "Electric Kiss". In fact, it's my favourite out of the 'Early years' section and I consider it the best live track of this rate. Such an adorable little protest tune with its own attitude.
    The piano riff alone got me hooked, and how melodic it is in general. Oh, and her vocals - she killed it! The fact that she didn't even need the microphone to be heard speaks volumes (pun not intended). Those final notes, when she ad-libs them like her life depends on it - amazing! The upbeat piano playing, which she does flawlessly, is so impressive, too. Really, she showcases so much talent in this two and a half minute song; marvelously playing piano and nailing the vocal performance - switching between softer and harsher tones without any issues. As for the song itself, I love the melody - it's so memorable and strong, as well as a bit angry in a way. I really love how melodic and even slightly melancholic it sounds. Also, the social/observational nature of the lyrics is quite unconventional for her, especially in this period. Comparing a kiss to a world changing statement is pretty clever - turning an 'on the nose' message to something more creative. And lines like: "we are a generation twisted by our myth", "fame is our felony, we're so in love with it" and "some superstars and masochists who don't know where to go" is quite something for Stefani at the time. Questioning fame back in 2005? Little did she know the title of her debut album... But seriously, there's definitely something eloquent about "Electric Kiss" that sets it apart from the rest. The message alone is super cute, clever and thoughtful, so it deserves a couple of points for that alone.
    It's a pity the song was never properly recorded nor released, because it deserved so much more recognition. It deserved a lot more recognition here, too, so I really hope it grows on some of you.

Let's hear what the voters had to say - does any of them deserve a kiss? COVID-19 says no... oop!

"I think this is the only song from this era that is worth revisiting", @spaceship (7) says and, honestly, he has a point. I definitely agree that it's the best song from the 2005/2006 section, though. @pop3blow2 (8) thinks it "sorta sounds like a song from some off-Broadway musical. I kinda like it though." Gaga was also an actress in school musicals during her early days, so no wonder some of her songs reflect that sound a bit.​

@berserkboi (6.8) puts his vocal coach glasses on: "Interesting ditty, shows off her voice well but a little oversung in parts, and a little sharp also - sorry!" She killed that performance - blame the microphone for the 'sharp' sound. @DominoDancing (6.5) praises some aspects, but isn't completely here for it: "Nice energy and some cute piano lines, but the vocal melodies are not particularly memorable." I think this has a very memorable melody, no? @Pat (6) agrees with that, saying: "I like the melody, but wouldn’t re-listen it." Well, you should definitely re-listen to it.

Meanwhile, @Music Is Life (6) is searching for the bop: "There’s a bop in there somewhere, but not in this version." This is the boppiest a song can get using only piano, so don't ask for too much. @M24 (7.25) is shook by the lyrics and reveals their score for another song: "Very musical theatre of Stefani. The title was very The Fame… but then she belted out "fame is a felony" and I'm like.. "Whut". Anyway, I give it half a score over Captivated as I'm a sucker for those little cute piano melodies and Gaga's vocals shine better in this one." Her vocals shine on both songs, but I'm #TeamElectricKiss.

With this score, the only electric thing @DinahLee (4) can get is an electric chair: "On the other hand I kinda always ignored this one and feels a little messy nn. There's a great message behind it, could be reworked for Chromatica now...." At least you acknowledged the message. Also, what's Chromatica?

Let's end with @Laurence (7) and this excellent commentary: "A great song, electric (yes I did that). I love how this is about society and stuff. A true peak behind the curtain for what is to come; "I'm gonna change the world". Yes, she did."
    A way to close this write-up!

The only live performance footage available:

Audio only (extracted from the aforementioned performance):

Up next: I'm afraid I'll reveal too much, so let's just say a nice coincidence is about to happen.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    M24, myblood, abael and 12 others like this.
  9. The piano chords are so interesting in this ... I wish she can use this somehow because there is something there.

Maki likes this.
  10. I honestly didn't expect to have such unpopular unreleased Gaga opinions - that's two more 9.5 and 9s gone now
    I'd love if she included Captivated and/or Electric Kiss in an acoustic set just for the nostalgia

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Maki likes this.
  11. Now I got it when you said I flopped one of your favs nn.
    tbh it's a surprise it made into top45 because it just feels... forgotten. You just never see people mentioning "Electric Kiss".

I have a hard time scoring stuff because now it feels that it was harsh to give it a 4 yet I really don't like the song at all It's so confusing.

Maki likes this.
  12. I agree. She definitely should've re-recorded it, but it's never too late.

That's a great idea! I think she did perform a snippet of "Captivated" on one of her tours, it would've been such a throwback moment if there's a proper performance of both songs.
    Also, spoiler: you might be losing another high score next.

I wasn't referring to that song - there is one more where our scores are even more contrasting.
    And don't worry about the scoring, it's very interesting to see all the differences. It's simple: If you don't like the song, you give it a low score, hehe.

The next elimination should be up in a few hours. Which song do you think/hope it is?

myblood, spaceship, soratami and 2 others like this.

13. SIS i'm sorry dsgdgsg.

I'm curious about my 11 and where are the other 10s now.
    For the next elimination, hoping for something from Red and Blue n.

Maki likes this.
  14. As promised, here's the second elimination of the day.

I mentioned that this song is connected with the previous elimination.

And it's a big one (kind of)...

[​IMG]
    (artwork found online)

Blueberry Kisses

Average score: 6.393

Highest scores:
    10 x 1 (@yeRleDanaL), a potential 10 from @Subwaykid?, 9.2 x 1 (@berserkboi), 9 x 2 (@m_dimitrov, @myblood)
    Lowest score: 2 x 1 (@Markus1981)
    My score: 6.75

High peak: #32 (22 voters)
    Low peak: #46 (6 voters)

First of all: what are the odds that the only two songs that have 'kiss' in their titles leave one after another?? That's a proper coincidence! While you may prefer blueberry kisses, I'm definitely craving for an electric kiss. Jokes aside, this is a fair placement for this song, in my opinion. In hindsight, I may even overscored it a bit. Anyways, the song struggled with the lack of higher scores and had a few detractors, which is a recipe for a lower placement.

It's yet another Gaga-Fusari creation, somewhere between 2006 and 2007, and one of the better known. One of the inspirations for it, according to Wendy Starland (the girl who first discovered Gaga), came from the fact that Gaga and Fusari used to eat blueberry pancakes for breakfast. That's the more innocent side of the story.

I'll leave it to Gaga herself to explain the more... detailed inspiration behind it: "I wrote a song a long time ago, a couple of years ago, called Blueberry Kisses. It's about the coffee because I used to drink the coffee and I was dating this guy and whenever we'd kiss he'd be like: "Oh baby, you taste like blueberries". But it's also about oral sex."
    That was from an interview from December 2008, where she was asked about tea, and she mentioned that she wrote the whole album drinking tea and blueberry-flavoured coffee (I have no idea that's a thing!), and then mentioned "Blueberry Kisses".
    In another interview, when asked about the meaning of "bluffin' with my muffin" in her hit "Poker Face", she replied:
    "Obviously, it's my pussy's poker face! I took that line from another song I wrote but never released, called "Blueberry Kisses." It was about a girl singing to her boyfriend about how she wants him to go down on her, and I used the lyric (The muffin man, he misses them kisses, yeah)."

And Gaga's signature 'muffin' innuendo was born with this song!
    Gaga also performed the song live only once (for what is known), at the Lollapalooza festival with Lady Starlight, on August 4th, 2007.

Oh, and more connection games can be done, too. There's a song that contains the song title of "Blueberry Kisses" in its lyrics - "Let Love Down", but there's also a title of another song that appears among the lyrics of "Blueberry Kisses" - "Second Time Around". peppa_pig_recycling_song.mp3

Also, my first playlist mistake is revealed here: There are three versions of the song that are available online (concept demo, first demo and second demo), yet I mistakenly omitted the first demo and replaced with with another concept demo that had a different title ('Rough Mix 2' or something like that). Sorry!
    All three 'correct' versions are linked below, but there aren't any significant differences that would've been unfair for the scoring matter.

The song itself is quite 'meh' to me (hence me questioning my score for it in the first paragraph - it's more of a 6.25 than 6.75, but whatever), although has interesting elements that make it stand out.
    Starting off with trumpets and a sultry "yeah", it's not really your typical Gaga song at the time. The deliberately wonky vibe of the song may work for some, while for others it can be off-putting. I'm somewhere in between, since I can appreciate the creativity, but the tune itself doesn't grab me. There's a prominent piano line, too, which goes nicely with the brassy arrangement. For that reason, it does feel heavily influenced by some retro (60's and 70's) acts, but I can't exactly place it on what it is (perhaps that's why that "I need you around" chorus remind me of The Beach Boy's "I Get Around"). The concept demo is perfectly fine and does feel more like a proper demo, but still has some omissions. For example, the first demo has those odd little 'blueberry kisses' backing vocals with a weird effect, but also more beefed up production. More electronic elements and beats are used in the second demo, which is significantly shorter than the other two (its running time is 2 minutes and 10 seconds), but still manages to fit all the lyrics in. The main difference between is that the second demo doesn't have the instrumental outro that the other two versions have. We don't know if there's a 'finished' version of the song, but it's nice enough for what it is. Overall, it's good in the production, a bit underwhelming in the melody, but obviously doesn't belong to "The Fame" and is a correct decision to remain an outtake.
    It left at the right time and I definitely won't miss it.

So, were our voters charmed by these blueberry kisses? Well, each to their own.

@DominoDancing (7.5) makes me search for a dictionary: "I enjoy that this feels a little more idiosyncratic than a lot of her other early demos. At least in terms of arrangement. The song at the core is just okay." , while @pop3blow2 (8.8) calls it a "fun little glam-pop-rock-romp." I guess that description is rather... idiosyncratic, isn't it?
    And @Seventeen Days (6.25) finds a connection: "Did she take elements of this to make ‘Just Another Day’? It’s got that bouncy kind of feel to it, though I’m not a fan of that odd trumpet-y intro." Nice catch! I actually hear some slight melodic similarities between the two, and the trumpets are an obvious relation between the two.

To prove once again how versatile Gaga's music is, @berserkboi (9.2) is here with this comparison: "Started off like Piaf’s Milord so it was already on my good side (Rough Mix) and kept giving!" And how very on-brand for him to compare the song to a 50's/60's French diva. Speaking of the past, @Pat (8) goes back in time and says: "If memory serves me right, this was one of the most sought after unreleased tracks when fans knew about the title. I really enjoy this outtake, but I can see why it didn’t fit on ‘The Fame’." Yeah, it definitely would've sounded out of place on her debut, but also would've been one of the weakest songs on it, if you ask me.

@M24 (7.25) has a question: "What's this about? Demo 2 has a better instrumental for me. It's still not much more than a 7.5 to me." and our highest scorer, @yeRleDanaL (10), provides the answer and stans the song: "I love the unique sound this track has. The opening gives me a like weird circus-y vibe with that off key piano and trumpet combo. I love that the song sounds all cute and goofy, while she's actually singing about missing him eating her out. I think my favorite part is the "the muffin man he misses them kisses, yeah" part of the song." This pretty much sums up the whole write-up I did for this song.

One of the comments that made me realize the mistake in the playlist is @Laurence (8), who thinks it;s a "nice song" and continues by saying: "I definitely see some growth from the concept Demo to the Demo 2 version. I might even have a more HQ one than what is around here. I use one without the claps/beat in the background. It's a nice song and very Gaga of course, definitely not on the Fame as not as polished but nice nonetheless." A nice way to describe it. And I'm sure you were listening to the first demo the whole time.

Concept demo:

First demo:

Second demo:

Snippet of live performance at Lollapalooza (with crappy sound quality):

Up next: A 'WTF' elimination, at least to me. Like with "Electric Kiss", one of my higher scores is on the chopping block again, but I'm not the highest scorer this time.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    M24, myblood, pop3blow2 and 10 others like this.
  15. I’ll have a listen again to all plus whatever is in my library... that one I’m most familiar with!

Also I’d love blueberry pancakes right now?! Also have to try blueberry coffee too!

The next elimination should not be one of my many highs!

16. @soratami isn’t a high scorer for a Piaf Song in English??? TRAHISON!!!

myblood, abael, soratami and 2 others like this.
  17. That's my favourite cover so far.

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  18. Looks like not - he gave the song a 6.
    But weren't you the one who 'warned' me that he usually isn't here for 50's and 60's French music?

The artwork, you mean? That's one of the few artworks that weren't created by me. The shade!
    Just kidding, I really have poor skills and very little experience when it comes to design (especially putting an idea to the paper), but at least I tried to make some in order to improove that. "Blueberry Kisses" is one of the few songs that didn't leave me with any particular inspiration for the artwork, so I just searched for it online. Yeah, that cover is lovely indeed (I like that the outfit sort of resembles blueberries lol) and I definitely couldn't make anything better than that, so it was 'stolen' from somewhere.

19. True! But Edith Piaf is just a sea of 10s no matter what our preferences are ;)

Maki likes this.
  20. Where is this slander coming from? Did you perhaps forget I literally hosted a French music rate that featured a 40s-70s section?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.