Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 34 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. I think we got this impression on PJ Retro when poor @Maki was missing out on points on your ballot for the older French Music he was sending... Dddddd

(Playful shade, I believe though! Dddd)

Maki and soratami like this.
  2. Exactly. @soratami blanked me three times when I sent a French oldie.
    But I don't blame him for not being really keen on "Blueberry Kisess" - I actually agree with that.

The next elimination is that unlucky song which managed to get a lot of lower scores in a row (the one @SyPOPhantic asked about). It's from a section that has lost less than three songs so far.
    Any predictions?

myblood, VitaminBee, soratami and 3 others like this.
  3. Both nervous and excited...

Maki likes this.
  4. Since I'm still fascinated by how both 'kiss' songs got eliminated in a row, I decided to count the number of voters who preferred one of them. The results are:

Team Electric Kiss: 15 voters
    Team Blueberry Kisses: 15 voters
    Team both/neither (same score to both songs): 4 voters

It's a tie! And the total score difference between the two songs is only one point, which almost resulted in two of them being tied with the average scores, too.

Oh, and realized there's another similar coincidence - both "Your Freakin' Car" and "Stuck on Fuckin' You", the only two songs in this rate that have an apostrophe in their titles, left one after another! @pop3blow2 is seething.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    myblood, soratami, pop3blow2 and 6 others like this.
  5. Pat

Pat

Quite like Blueberry Kisses, too bad it already left.

myblood, yeRleDanaL and Maki like this.
  6. Hint for the next elimination:

(Confession: I've heard Dua's song in full for the first time today, and it's really good)

myblood, soratami, berserkboi and 5 others like this.
  7. "Retro-Physical"?

Also, how have you avoided "Physical" until today?!

myblood, Crisp X, yeRleDanaL and 4 others like this.
  8. Oooh, nice!

I love when some of y'all on here discover weird little micro-meta-connections/observations in pop things... I get tagged.

myblood, Crisp X, berserkboi and 2 others like this.
  9. Imagine listening it for the first time ever again. Honestly, a moment.
    I was literally on a train while I got it on a train. Songception

myblood, soratami, Crisp X and 3 others like this.
  10. I don't know. Perhaps I don't listen to radio often, or it's because I pretty much never check Dua's music, oop.
    Another opportunity to tag @pop3blow2 lol

I'm too tired to do a write up the next elimination today, but I've started preparing it, so it should be up earlier tomorrow.

elektroxx likes this.

11. [​IMG]

Lord show me the way

12. Such a pity that we say goodbye to this gem so early...

*sigh*

Maybe my hint was too obvious...​

...or maybe not?

In between the sheets we go...

[​IMG]

Oh Baby

Average score: 6.394

Highest scores:
    9.3 x 1 (@pop3blow2), 9 x 4 (@Maki, @Phonetics Boy, @Music Is Life, @M24)
    Lowest score: 2 x 1 (@Laurence)
    My score: 9

High peak: #25 (10 voters)
    Low peak: #45 (23-26 voters)

After more than 10 eliminations, 'The Fame sessions' section loses its second song in the form of the utterly underrated "Oh Baby". And the way it was treated is pretty much tragic. In the beginning, it was doing really well, comfortably sitting in the lower half of top 30, until the sudden stream of around the 20 voters mark which made it drop about 15 spots. It received five scores between 4 and 5 in a row! (and @SyPOPhantic is one of those lower scorers) Also, a few 3's and several 6's of didn't help it, either. A messy way for this song to end up in an undeserving position.

Written by Lady Gaga and Rob Fusari in 2007, it's yet another demo from the Team Love Child sessions, but it was written in the later stages of their collaborative work (and that's why I classified it among "The Fame" outtakes). What's notable about it is that the song was never registered to any database nor mentioned by Gaga and Fusari (implying that it wasn't finished), so no one knew the song even existed. When it surfaced in early 2018, it was an unexpected and a really nice surprise. Also, it clearly misses the middle-8, and actually ends after the second chorus, which is another indication that it's an unfinished demo. It's one of the shortest songs we're rating here, too.

The lyrics are on her suggestive and a bit more freaky side, as she's looking for a partner and flirting in order to get under the sheets with them. Some very 'Gaga' lines are detectable, such as "sugar pie gone real bad", for example. And the "let's get physical" line is why I linked it to that Dua Lipa's song - no one caught that!

An interesting thing about the song that should be mentioned is that there are some allegations that it samples a song by a Morroccan artist Leila K called "C'mon Now", which was released in 1996.
    You be the judge:

Honestly, apart from the drums, I don't hear it. There is a slight resemblance in the repetition of the chorus line, but I think I know why. And I definitely prefer Gaga's song to "C'mon Now".

Lady Gaga herself said that she was a big fan of Leila K in the 90's (RedOne also brought this up), so there is surely a possibility that "Oh Baby" was inspired by her.

Here's when she mentioned the artist (in that iconic 'typing' interview):

I think it's a similarity and not a sample, just like some of her songs resemble other influences, such as David Bowie, Queen, Blondie, Elton John etc. despite not containing a sample from their songs.

"Oh Baby" is one of the songs that grew on me with each listen until I completely loved it. There's something dark and 'underground' about it, which gives it a certain edge and makes it stand out. It's just effortlessly cool, I guess. I like how murky the piano line is, and those stomping drums accompanying it. The way she talk-sings the verses and the pre-chorus is great, plus the constant echo effect on her vocals provides a cool atmosphere to the song. Due to my synesthesia, I envision shades of dark green while listening to the song.
    My favourite bit is the chorus, more precisely the final part of it. And those Gwen Stefani-esque "na, na, na, na..." bits are very addictive and a great addition (or maybe it's just because they remind me of the hook from "Rich Girl"?) The synths appearing here and there just help this already awesome song to become even better. It just has that sensual vibe which just works for Gaga. Honestly, this is fantastic for a demo that wasn't further touched. Really unique track.
    The only 'objection' is that it ends too soon and doesn't really progress - lacks just something more to it. For example, if this had a proper middle-8, it could've even received a 10 from me.

In fact, I wish she finished this and released it. It would be an awesome "The Fame" bonus track, or even a standard track, with a slightly different production. I don't understand how it went under the radar for most of the voters. Maybe it's the track length, or perhaps the general unfamiliarity/rareness of the song is to blame.
    Anyways, this definitely belongs to the top 30/top 20 of this rate, so shame on you for not properly treating this gem.

Fun fact:
    The "Oh Baby" artwork is the first one I've created for this rate! I even forgot to save it as a PNG file (and additional conversion did nothing to the quality, of course) - how dumb of me!

The voters were quite divisive in their commentary.

The highest scorer, @pop3blow2 (9.3), only has praise for it: "I love the sound of this one. It’s different." Taste! It sure is unique.
    On the other hand, @berserkboi (7.5) thinks the opposite: "Yeah, okay! Doesn’t reinvent the wheel by any means but solidifies my impression that she can carry this style!" Fair enough, although it's still different compared to the other songs here.

Someone who should definitely re-listen to the song is @Pat (4.5): "I can’t remember ever hearing this demo. Glad to hear I didn’t miss anything." Just... wrong. And @DominoDancing (5) is just a sugar pie gone real bad, thinking the song is: "Too sedate, and doesn't have any hooks to make up for it." Sedate? Perhaps. No hooks? Absolutely not. it definitely has its qualities, despite being less 'in your face' than some of the other songs. I mean, you really can't expect too much from an unfinished demo.

Moving on to the more tasteful bunch. @Seventeen Days (8.5) has a great description for it: "Okay, this one has kind of a glam stop feel to it that’s totally working for me. I get some Queen vibes on this one, which I’m all about." 'Glam stop' is such a great phrase for this song! I don't think of Queen when listening to this, but those anthemic drums are definitely reminiscent of "We Will Rock You". @DinahLee (7) brings up the alleged sample (I still don't hear it, though) and likes the song: "That Leila K sample (?) wow. Great one, nice surprise that we didn’t know it’s existence prior leak." and @M24 (9) just gets it: "This is pretty good. Very dark and sexy." Exactly. And I thought everyone would be here for that side of Gaga..

And the trash taste award of the day goes to the lowest scorer, @Laurence (2), who calls it: "A bit boring... Not a fan." The opinion is quite acceptable, but that score?? Oh baby!

Get into it, people!

Up next: Something is about to change.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    M24, Pat, myblood and 13 others like this.
  13. Oh Baby its finally out! Dislike it...

Glad Retro-Physical is still in

Pat, myblood, yeRleDanaL and 3 others like this.
  14. beyond pissedddd at myself for not participating but this is just as exciting just watching!!

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  15. Oh, looks like I didn't tag you in this thread. Had I known you were interested, I'd definitely not miss that.
    But welcome and feel free to share some thoughts and rant when your fave songs end up underrated!

Also, if you have extra free time, you can even send scores for some (or all) songs to me and I'll use them in the end as 'what could've happened'.

16. It's okay!! it's my own problem- I had started scoring already but i forgot about it... ///cry, but YES i will do that!!

Maki likes this.
  17. If only you posted here, I would've definitely remind you to vote. A pity that it didn't happen, but now I'm looking forward to your scores!

As for the next elimination, an obvious hint is 'hidden' within "Oh Baby". Try to work out that one, it shouldn't be too hard.

18. the way I was SHAKING and saw it's not RETRO PHYSICAL

GOD IS REAL KIDS.

Oh Baby is a great unfinished demo. I like the highlight that we had NO CLUE it existed before the leak and makes me wonder how many songs are going around that we have no clue about them.
    Also, while on it: Leak out of control.

Not sure how some songs are still in the rate but curious dd.

@Maki about our little ~Timeline project, I'm trying to do some research. I thought we had more official dates in these titles but I was wrong nn.

myblood, soratami, Laurence and 4 others like this.
  19. We love a bit of drama in rates, don't we?

And, yeah, "Oh Baby" was a complete incognito until it surfaced, so it definitely stands out. I think there are only a few more songs which titles were previously unknown ("Yay Ha" being one of them). Who knows how many unregistered songs there are that were never heard... one can only hope that some of them will surface.
    Also, there are five Gaga-Fusari outtakes that are registered/mentioned, so these are more likely to see the light of day.

As for the side project, we will struggle a bit due to the lack of exact dates, but should still manage to do some progress based on interviews etc.
    Thanks for reaching out!

20. I know I'm tempting fate, but this has been, outside of a few hiccups (Ribbons being out, Superstar/Sexy Ugly being in.), going pretty much how I'd of wanted it to...

Now watch the remaining Red & Blue/ARTPOP era work be demolished.
    uhhhhhh.gif

myblood, Maki and Untouchable Ace like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.