Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 35 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Not on my watch with Stache and Brooklyn Nights but Red & Blue can go ASAP.

Maki likes this.
  2. "Superstar" slaps though. It has to make the Top 20!

Maki likes this.
  3. You know Brooklyn Nights is a potential winner! How dare you!

4. I'm pretty sure that @abael mentioned "Red and Blue" EP and "ARTPOP" sessions because he actually likes the songs from those sections and gave them relatively high scores.

But they should be satisfied with the next elimination.

myblood, soratami, abael and 2 others like this.
  5. Oh I just reread it and that makes sense. I was low and tired. I’m curious to see what goes next.

6. Ooh, something tells me Sexy Ugly's going next! I for one think it's between Brooklyn Nights and Nothing On to win the whole thing, though!

7. I think that I'm in the minority, but I've never been particularly fussed with "Brooklyn Nights." I do think that my score probably doesn't reflect this opinion though and I might've overscored it.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    myblood, DinahLee and Maki like this.
  8. Throw in Reloaded and we have a top 3.

9. Same, to be honest. While it's never been one of my faves, it received a relatively high score from me mostly due to the production.
    We'll see how far it managed to go, though.

myblood and elektroxx like this.
  10. Y'all forgetting Second Time Around tho. And No Way. And...

The only elimination of Out of Control I'll accept if is that @Maki gets his hands on it and leaks the full song.
    Nothing else will do.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  11. Well... good luck with that one.
    Jokes aside, I really want to hear "Out of Control" in full, too. It's such a stellar track.

myblood, Laurence and sesita like this.
  12. The fact Brooklyn Nights is probably top5 in this.

Probably when I learned that LQ Snippets really shouldn't be trusted.

Was obsessed and when the whole thing leaked after days I was so... upset.

13. Ah me too. I guess you were upset too cause your wig was lost too?

Maki likes this.
  14. I bet @elektroxx didn't see this one coming...

Funny how it was just mentioned, too...

[​IMG]

Superstar

Average score: 6.456

Highest score:
    9 x 6 (@Seventeen Days, @m_dimitrov, @spaceship, @HEARTCORE, @yeRleDanaL, @elektroxx)
    Lowest score: 2 x 1 (@AshtrayHeart)
    My score: 8

High peak: #27 (6 voters)
    Low peak: #44 (30 voters, 32 voters)

It had to happen eventually. After impressive 18 eliminations, "The Fame Monster" sessions section finally loses its first song, which means all of the sections have now lost at least one song. "Superstar" actually wasn't alone in taking this title throughout the voting. In fact, one song from the same section was the lowest placing song for about half of the voting period, and they were often switching places. However, that song got a late surge and ended up higher than "Superstar". We'll see what the final difference between them is...

Also titled "SuperStar", the song was written by Lady Gaga and Rodney Jerkins a.k.a Darkchild (and even unofficially has him as a featured artist) in early 2008. The song is one of the products from the sessions when Gaga was hired to write for various artists under Universal Music. These sessions took place after finishing her debut album, which is during the first quarter of 2008. Even though it kind of seems like the song should belong to "The Fame" sessions, because it was written even before "Just Dance" was released, it was written after she wrote all the songs which appeared on "The Fame" (i.e. January/February 2008), therefore "The Fame Monster" sessions section was more appropriate for it. Anyways, "Superstar" is one of the songs intended to be given to Pussycat Dolls (the other one being "Text You Pictures", which yet has to surface in full) and appear on their second album "Dolls Domination", but was scrapped for unknown reasons, so it just remained an unreleased demo. Crazy to think that Gaga would be an opening act for Pussycat Dolls during the entire first half of 2009!

And since I mentioned Darkchild, here's a clip from the 2008 sessions I mentioned, when they wrote/recorded "Telephone", which was initially written for some other artist, and notably offered to Britney Spears:

She's so cute here!

The lyrics of "Superstar", like the song itself, are very of its time, but include some quirky Gaga-ish moments: name-dropping Scarlett Johansson, that random line in French and such. Funny how she was singing about and being referred to as a superstar before "Just Dance" was even out - her mind.

I really like "Superstar" and was a bit puzzled when it started getting low scores compared to other (weaker) songs. It's not amazing, although does not belong to the bottom 20 of this rate. At the core, it's just a basic song that sounds so 2008, especially with that typical late 00's Darkchild production, but when you listen to it more carefully, it reveals a lot of redeeming things. The beat it quite interesting, those spacey synths that come in during the chorus are really cool. The melody in the verses and pre-chorus is kind of odd, but I think they are actually great. I find the chorus, which features vocals by Darkchild, really good and catchy, if not a bit too repetitive. What doesn't appeal to me is that middle-8, sung in a deliberately slurry and wonky way. Also, this really reminds me of Timbaland's production, and I'm surely not alone at that, as you'll see below. I mean, that chorus can comfortably pass a his song. And then I found out that Timbaland wrote some songs that appeared on "Doll Domination" - makes sense that "Superstar" was intended for that album. It's a really little outtake and a great throwback moment. Sure, I can understand some of you may find the autotune use off-putting, the lack of Gaga during the chorus or simply write it off as cheap and trashy song, but it's not bad at all.

It's definitely among the weaker songs from "The Fame Monster" section, although not that bad.
    Could've easily been 10 spots higher, but I'm not too mad about it leaving now.

In the commentary section, I noticed that some of you also heard the similarities with Timbaland.

The first one to bring that up is @DominoDancing (4.5), but uses it against the song: "What kind of poor Timbaland knock-off is this?" Oof. On the completely other hand, @spaceship (9) uses the same comparison, but loves the song and says: "Very Timbaland but we stan." and @Seventeen Days (9) is here for it, too: "This has Rodney Jerkins’ signature all over it. The production vaguely reminds me of Timbaland’s “The Way I Are”."
    Corner of shame: I've never heard "The Way I Are" before. Listening to it now, I can notice slight similarities, but parts of it remind me of Gaga's "Telephone"?

Anyways, continuing with throwback moments, let's give a word to @DinahLee (7): "Superstar was one of the first unreleased songs that I heard on YouTube and it had this fan-made-TFM-Straight-Hair and I really believed it was a Deluxe track nn."
    Among the haters, we have @M24 (6) who manages to shade two songs at once: "Awful. I prefer Marina's Superstar to this. And THAT's saying a lot. I can't imagine this fitting on The Fame Monster." Who knew Merna would be mentioned in this rate? To be honest, I think I prefer Gaga's "Superstar". And it wasn't intended for "The Fame Monster", so I'm sure it makes sense it definitely wouldn't fit.

The 'undecided masses' were dominating in the commentary, so let's see what they have to say.
    After calling it "a bit basic", @Untouchable Ace (7.6) goes on to say: "I love the middle 8 though." Quite ironically, the middle-8 is my least favourite part of the song lol. And @Laurence (5) finds it off-putting: "This is too much out of her street I think, it's a bit meh... Boring? Darkchild on it but it does not do a lot for me. Dunno. I don't like the verses, kinda rapping? But meh... A weak one for sure." Gaga's sing/rap stuff is quite polarizing here.
    @Pat (6.5) calls it "repetitive" and @berserkboi (6.2) thinks it's "Pleasant, but in all honesty – boring!" I appreciate the honesty there, but I think it would make more sense if you said it the other way - not boring, but not really pleasant.

Everybody wants the lights, lights, all the flashes...

Up next: I'm mad. Seriously, really mad. My first 10 is leaving.

M24, soratami, yeRleDanaL and 14 others like this.
  15. But Jamelia stays winning.

soratami, myblood, spaceship and 5 others like this.
  16. Ooh, a bop:

Not only a bop, but a cover, too:

Better than Gaga and Marina's "Superstar" combined.

17. flippedem.gif

Speak your truth, ladies.

Maki likes this.
  18. This was referring to the pre-chorus of "Oh Baby", when she sings "can you see us, superstar love" .

It literally mentions the title of "Superstar". Yet another meta connection for @pop3blow2, hehe.

Holy crap, the same thing happens with the song we're eliminating next. This is crazy!

19. I hate y'all. Why didn't I give "Superstar" a 10? Not sure that that would've made much of a difference, but it's what she deserves.

I honestly wouldn't be opposed to PCD 2020 releasing this with updated production. Make it happen, Nicole!

20. When I first saw the elimination I was very surprised and shocked. But then I realised I was confusing 'Superstar' with 'Reloaded,' which I prefer. I did however give a 7.4 to 'Superstar' which is a good score. There's just not enough Gaga on on it for my liking, but the backing track is good.

PS. Sorry 'Hollywood.'

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Maki and Untouchable Ace like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.