Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 37 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Everytime I hear the Fusari songs I wonder how he managed to do Paparazzi because... it sounds like a fluke.

Pat, sesita, berserkboi and 1 other person like this.
  2. Something from ARTPOP perhaps? Namely "Stache."

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  3. @mindtrappa said before that Gaga was the one who produced it.

4. Ok maybe we need Stefani going full producer mode for LGX ??
    That's just fantastic and brand new for me. I know that for Venus she messed around with some pre-made stems and did some job from the zero but Paparazzi... wow.

Maki likes this.
  5. Pat

Pat

Wait what? What's the story behind this?

Maki likes this.
  6. "Paparazzi" was the last song Gaga and Rob Fusari created, shortly before she started meeting with different producers, such as Martin Kierszenbaum and RedOne, so it definitely sounds more 'evolved' compared to te majority of the other songs they made. Even Gaga herself describes it as her first 'real pop' song, which makes sense. There's an hour-long video about the song's birth and story behind it (definitely too much of Rob speaking for me to handle in order to watch the full video):

As for the production, I'm pretty sure she's credited as a co-producer on both "Paparazzi" and "Brown Eyes", but I don't know if she produced them on her own.
    And I wouldn't necessarily call "Paparazzi" a fluke, but it's definitely the best Gaga-Fusari collaboration.

soratami, Pat, pop3blow2 and 4 others like this.
  7. Hint for the next elimination:

What a song!

8. I have no idea but it better be an older song.

Maki likes this.
  9. "Taking the blue pill only made you cry, and all that the red pill did was make you forget why" is Red and Blue leaving next?

Maki likes this.
  10. After 12 eliminations, we finally lose another song that received multiple 10's...

As Christina would sing later in the song: "There is no right, there's no wrong..."

...actually, you are right. Well done!

[​IMG]
    I was particularly inspired for this artwork, as you can see lol

Red and Blue

Average score: 6.609

Highest scores:
    10 x 2 (@soratami, @yeRleDanaL)
    Lowest score: 3 x 1 (@HEARTCORE), 3.5 x 2 (@VitaminBee, @Markus1981)
    My score: 7.5

High peak: #31 (16 voters, 17 voters)
    Low peak: #48 (11 voters)

The title track of the Stefani Germanotta Band's EP falls, leaving only two songs unscathed ("No Floods" and "Wish You Were Here"). Which one will end up as the winning song from the EP?

Compared to the other songs from the extended play, "Red and Blue" was actually the leader of the pack for a moment, but its trajectory wasn't particularly exciting, except from maybe having a little resurrection with later voters, after it dipped below the #45 spot.

Serving as as the closing and the title track of the EP, it was written by Lady Gaga and produced by Joe Vulpis in late 2005, just like the rest of the project. There isn't much known about the song's background, except that there was only one live performance of the song is known and it took place on December 19th, 2005 at The Lion's Den club in New York. Unfortunately, there is no footage of it.

Could've done a tiny bit better, but I'm not mad it's out at this point.
    It think this rightfully falls right in the middle of the extended play in terms of quality (although I would swap places for other two songs), and serves as a nice, refreshing ending, especially coming right after the droopy and dull "Words". There's a ska influence which reminds a lot of, you already know it, No Doubt during the 90's. In fact, I think this is one of Stefani/Gaga's songs that matches their style the most. I must compliment the production, which, while at its core sounds a bit one-dimensional, has a lot of details that make it better. This especially refers to the second verse of the song, with those fake gunshots and guitar clicks. The melody is very likable during the chorus and the middle-8 grew on me quite a bit, but the verses still have something missing. The lyrical theme is really cute - Gaga saying and naming contrasts between her and a guy ("you're spades and I'm diamonds", for example) in attempt to reject him and just be friends, and then offering a one night stand(?) Okay, Gagz... Anyways, I must say that "when you're cold, I'll make it burn / I cut lines, you wait your turn" is such a charming little couplet, and that the lyrics are quite strong for how much the song's theme is on the nose. At least we know that 'opposites attract' logic doesn't work for her.

I don't have much to say about the song, and the commentary is looking slim, too.

@yeRleDanaL (10) is back at being the high-scorer and praises the song, of course: "I feel like this is the only song on the album that doesn't serve me knock off Broadway tea, so it's a stand out. I really love the reggae influence she utilizes in this track." The reggae is linked to ska, and is another music genre I enjoy, so I admire that mention. Another voter losing their favourite song from the EP is @AshtrayHeart (9), who brings up the memories: "Wow, I haven't heard this in a long time and it really takes me back to being so excited when the Red and Blue EP surfaced." Does anyone know when it first surfaced online? I certainly don't.

@pop3blow2 (8.8) and @Laurence (8) are here for this little tune, respectively saying: "This is kinda charming, in a way." and "This is nice, I like the comparisons stuff going on. Good end of the EP."
    Meanwhile, our well-known 'antipoprockist' @berserkboi (6.1) says: "Better by the end than I anticipated by that beginning, but still not great!" This is generous, knowing your thoughts on this EP, so I'll take it.

@Pat (6.5) shares similar thoughts as I do: "Great chorus, but the verses let it down. No Doubt vibes popping up again." And I was waiting for someone to make that comparison, because this is one of the most No Doubt-esque songs in the entire rate.

Someone who likes praising things is @Music Is Life, who declares: "I love the production, especially the guitar" and gives the song an 8.
    @M24 (7) simply states: "It's not too catchy but I like it." and @DominoDancing (7) shares the score and thoughts, but puts it more eloquently: "Moderately catchy pop-rock. It's not that there's much wrong with it, it's just that there's absolutely nothing standing out." This pretty much sums up the experience.

"I am red, you are blue, I'm old school and you're so new..."

Next up: We're saying goodbye to another song with multiple 10's.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    soratami, M24, pop3blow2 and 11 others like this.
  11. Unfortunately, there was no time for me to do a write up today, but here's a hint for the next cut:

12. I wonder if it’s Stache because it’s also called “High Princess”?

sesita, elektroxx, berserkboi and 2 others like this.
  13. I'm so sorry for the lack of eliminations, but trying to balance multiple rates and song contest, as well as personal stuff can be a bit time consuming.

Pretty sure I'll get at least one song out tomorrow.

Another hint: It's one of the songs from the sections which are down to 2 songs.

14. Turns out we'll find out the answer to this question as early as possible...

You're never, ever, ever gonna stop me now...
    (sorry, but I think we will have to)

[​IMG]

No Floods

Average score: 6.679

Highest scores:
    10 x 2 (@Laurence, @abael), 9.5 x 1 (@myblood)
    Lowest score: 3 x 1 (@HEARTCORE)
    My score: 6.5

High peak: #37 (33 voters, 34 voters)
    Low peak: #51 (10 voters)

There you have it - the winner of the "Red and Blue" EP is "Wish You Were Here" and I'm happy to agree with that choice. Now, how long will it last...?

"No Floods" is one of the few songs that managed to reach its peak position at the end of the voting. Getting both 10's within the final 5 voters definitely helped that. In fact, it had one of the most drastic changes on the leaderboard - at one point, it was on its way to become the lowest-placing song of the EP, so @Laurence and @abael should be thankful it managed to revive itself in the best possible way.

It's another song written by Lady Gaga and produced by Joe Vulpis in late 2005. "No Floods" could possibly be the first song she's written for the band, perhaps even before it was officially formed. What is unique about that there are two different versions of the song. One of them is the "Red and Blue" EP version which was included in the playlist. The other version appeared on the EP "Words" (I discussed it earlier), which was released in January 2005. That version is quite different from the one on the "Red and Blue" EP, because it is pretty much a demo/early version of the song, is a bit longer, and is played on a piano, with slight guitar appearances and some lyrical changes, too. Also, Gaga's vocals are notably softer on the demo version, and I find them more pleasant. Then, she re-recorded she song with the SGBand and released it on the second, official, extended play with a noticeably rockier sound which obviously suited it more. I completely forgot to include the "Words" EP version of the song, so my apologies! I hope it wouldn't have noticeably affected its placement. Please give it a listen below.

The title of the song, as well as some of the lyrics, were inspired by by the victims of Hurricane Katrina. The "Words" version has some minor lyrical differences (changing close my eyes to "close my ears"), but also has a couple of additional lines like this cute couplet: "but I just close my eyes and dream / you cant deny me, my astronomy" which was unfairly left off the final version.
    The lyrics are quite personal, but have an empowering message and showcase rebelliousness that Stefani has always been carrying with herself. Both versions talk about her self-esteem.

"...when I walk down the street I hear them say:
    'There she goes, that crazy girl...
    she thinks she's something in this world' "

This section is a great description of Gaga's life during the Stefani Germanotta years of her career. After a lot of bullying and diminishing (remember that Facebook group?), her stubbornness payed off.

There's a known performance of the song at The Lion's Den in December of 2005, but there's no footage of that one.
    Stefani also performed the song at 60th Annual Columbus Day Parade, on October 10th, 2005, which is one of her first (if not the first) televised performances, broadcasted live on NBC. She was asked to perform the song on the streets on her own (given that the Stefani Germanotta Band wasn't formed yet) and got a positive response from the hosts and public. The full video exists, but there's only a short clip due to copyright and audio-only videos available online (both are linked below).

To be honest, I've never really been keen on "No Floods" and am a bit surprised that it has some fans.. Lyrically, it stands out, and is a good song by itself, but the melody never grabbed me enough. It also suffers from a flat production, which is a recurrent issue on this EP. She sounds lovely, of course, but there's definitely something missing.
    Re-listening to the "Words" EP version, I think I underscored the song a bit. Anyways, I still think it doesn't stand out in the grand scheme of things, unfortunately, and left at the right time.

Most of the voters didn't have much to say about it, and it's reasonable.​

Surprisingly, @berserkboi (7) calls it: "Pleasant and okay!", but adds: "Needs sharper production to take it all the way!" I'm a bit stunned that you scored this song higher than me.
    On the contrary, @pop3blow2 (7.9) compliments the production, saying: "Production sounds solid on this one, but just don’t really care for the song." And that's a pretty generous score for a song you don't really care for. @Pat (7) brings up the piano version: "I really forgot this was a great EP. More familiar with the other version of ’No Floods' though." Sorry once again for not including it!
    "I really like the guitar" is a comment by @Music Is Life (7.5) and now I'm wondering if they said the same thing for each song from this EP...

Just like me, some of you were ambivalent towards it - @spaceship (6) says: "I like it melodically but the lyrics are a bit underwritten" and DominoDancing (6.5) serves unintentional(?) shade: "I don't think I need country-pop Gaga. It's really crazy how different her voice still sounds on these demos though." Poor "Joanne"...

The last word goes to one of the highest scorers, @Laurence (10), who I'm sure will be disappointed by this result: "This is fantastic. I love this coming of age song. I wish we would get the filming at the New York parade of this. Please! Lovely foreshadowing of her career and I feel the growth in the song. It's so lovely, great melody and instrumentation - good production value. Love this. Also there's a few versions of this? Should win tbh or at least Top 5."
    It managed to make it to the top 5 of all the pre-Fusari songs, so looking at it that way, it's an achievement.

"Red and Blue" EP version:

"Words" EP version:

Short clip from the live performance:

Full audio from the live performace:

Next up: A sonic and lyrical change in every way... pretty much a 180 compared to "No Floods".

15. For those who didn't manage to guess the connection between "No Floods" and "The Queen" - there are several connections, actually:

- There's a line in "The Queen" that goes: "when you run dry, I'll flood your pain"
    - Both songs mention natural disasters, notably hurricane
    - There's a word "princess" among the lyrics of "No Floods" (@VitaminBee linked that with another song)​

16. Definitely glad I gave it a 10, reading how low it could've been. It's Top 40 stuff at a minimum.

Maki likes this.
  17. This was severely underscored. Y'all shy away hearing a guitar right? Pfft.
    No Floods is still a lovely track. Loves it.

Maki likes this.
  18. No Floods is the worst song on Red and Blue and I know we're not ready to have this conversation.

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  19. Hint for the next elimination: The song is connected with one of the PJ00s winners.

soratami likes this.
  20. I fell in love all over again with The Day It Rained Forever, so my money is that one.

soratami and Maki like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.