Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Secret likes this.
  2. I literally only know like 2 of these songs and I won't have time to really listen and score them accordingly I'm afraid.

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  3. Our first spotlight is...

[​IMG]

Sometimes
    Reason for not being included: a demo/early version of an officially released song

These spotlights will concentrate on songs that could've appeared in this rate, but for certain restrictions/suggestions weren't included.

The first song we're going to highlight is "Sometimes":

The song was most likely written in late 2007 (maybe early 2008) by Lady Gaga and Martin Kierszenbaum (a.k.a. Cherry Cherry Boom Boom), her collaborator during "The Fame" days. What's immediately recognizable about this song is that it greatly resembles "Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)". Well, that's because it represents a rough demo for that song. "Sometimes" has those 80's synths, subtle beat and calypso-inspired flourishes that make it stand out among the other unreleased songs (just like "Eh, Eh" is sort of an outlier in her discography). Also, it's incredibly cute, both melodically and lyrically. On the other hand, it has a ton of autotune, which makes it a tougher listen. After all, it's just a demo, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Gaga recorded it on her laptop, which she used to do quite often during those days.

Compared to "Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)", "Sometimes" has different lyrics and similar, yet not the same melody and she says more words in a shorter time span, which kind of doesn't flow that well.
    Lyrically, it's an adorable love song, even though most of them are incredibly juvenile and quite awkward.
    I mean, with lines like 'And when I trip myself on the sidewalk/ You put my boots back on me, babe', it makes me wonder if Gaga re-used some of the lyrics she wrote in her early teens. Well, I guess that's a part of its charm.
    Obviously, the song wasn't intended to remain that way and was transformed into one of her most overlooked and underrated (half) singles (which was confirmed by the final result in her discography rate).

Now, to wash off all the autotune we've just heard, let's listen to the final and undeniably better version of the song, along with its retro-inspired and I'm Italian-themed music video:

pop3blow2, Laurence, myblood and 8 others like this.
  4. Wow wow wow, some recognition for TRUE bops.

Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  5. I forgot to mention that there's a RedOne version/remix of "Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)":

The original version is so much better.

I'm intrigued to find out what @soratami thinks about it.

6. Thanks! You gave "Eh, Eh" a 10 in the rate, right? It's a really underrated song.
    And I remember that you gave a 2 to "Marry the Night", which is... a choice.
    Also, based on your avatar/username, I can say that there's one song in this rate that you should really like.

While I'm giving suggestions, I can invite some of my fellow PJ song contest friends to join:
    @savilizabeths
    @pop3blow2
    @Filippa
    (I have no idea about your interest in Lady Gaga, but maybe you will be up for doing this)

pop3blow2, Filippa, soratami and 4 others like this.
  7. It's pretty cute, but I definitely prefer the original! This version doesn't really have that laidback charm the original does.

Maki likes this.
  8. Exactly.
    It sounds too 'stiff', which detracts most of its charm. Even "Sometimes" succeeds in being laid-back.

Stumbled upon the studio acapella recordings of "Eh, Eh", too:

She sounds incredibly cute.

Untouchable Ace and soratami like this.
  9. Was re-listening to some of the songs earlier today, and I just had to bump a score of one song to a 10. On the other hand, I slightly lowered a score for another song, so that my average for that section remains the same.

Speaking of which, here are some 'fun facts' from my scores:
    • Three of the sections received at least one 10 from me; only two of them got multiple 10's
    • The section with only one 10 has the highest average score
    • Two of the sections have 7 as their lowest score
    • The section with the lowest high score doesn't have the lowest average score
    • I've given a total of six 10's and one 11
    • My 11 went to a section with multiple 10's
    • My lowest score is the lowest score I've ever given in any rate I've participated in so far
    First leaderboard tea coming as soon as we hit 5 voters.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    pop3blow2, myblood, Laurence and 7 others like this.
  10. I have started rating and I wasn't expecting Gaga to have such an early 00s Pop Rock sound at the beginning of her career.... Unfortunately anyone who knows me from the Song Contests knows that means some negative scores are coming her way for that era...

11. Yes, because in the case of this genre, you are tasteless.

12. I don't think so! Kelly Clarkson still rocks my world for that era of music, and some Avril is also great! Dddddd

P.S: Did you give me points for this beauty?

13. Okay so you have some taste. But not a lot.

14. That's the only questionable music opinion from you, so I'm kind of okay with it.
    Luckily, the shift in sound is coming very soon and you better give high scores to those songs!

She really had that singer-songwriter, poprock mixed with classic rock sound during the mid-00's, with different vocals than what we're used to, which isn't for everyone.
    (@Sprockrooster found stanning)

15. Remember when I said I won't tag anymore? Well, I lied.

Hello! You may be interested in taking part in this rate. Please take a look and tell me if you can join.
    @ADFH
    @Digital_Fossil
    @Judas
    @Pat
    @sidle54

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.