Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 43 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Sad to see Future Love go but I understand why. Not sad about Panty Party though.

As for the new release... Chromatica is lovely. Could it have been a little more diverse with how the songs sounded? Sure but it's still a great bop filled listen!

2. I’m hardly ever the lowest scorer on songs! Weird. ‘Panty Party’ just didn’t work for me. I listened to it a couple of times and was just sort of like, ‘sorry. complete pass.’ I liked your write up so maybe I’ll give it another try sometime.

3. Been so busy that couldn't mention how these 2 were some of my favorites.

Had a moment last year with Future Love and played it for weeks. Same for Panty Party which feels like a fantastic Bop

Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  4. Moving on...

...maybe this isn't exactly a fan-favourite, but still.

Spin that shit...

[​IMG]

Filthy Pop

Average score: 6.996

Highest scores:
    10 x 1 (@yeRleDanaL), 9 x 2 (@AshtrayHeart, @Music Is Life)
    Lowest score: 2 x 1 (@SyPOPhantic)
    My score: 8.5

High peak: #19 (15 voters)
    Low peak: #26 (34 voters)

Hello, Mr. Radio!
    Actually, it's time for "Filthy Pop" to say 'Goodbye, Mr. Radio!' now. What's interesting about this song is its leaderboard trajectory. I was tricked into thinking this is a fan-favourite, the way it was getting a lot of 8's and started steadily rising to the top 20 really made me think that. Unfortunately, after reaching the peak position, it slowly started falling and eventually hit its rock bottom placement with the very last voter. Only four songs in the entire rate had this misfortune.

"Filthy Pop" is another song written by Gaga and Fusari, sometime in 2007. Fusari initially took care of the production, and there are three versions of it, but since Gaga was signed to Island Def Jam at the time, he wasn't the only one. In attempt to make it radio friendly, production team Soul Diggaz (who worked with Beyoncé, Monica, Missy Eliott etc.) additionally produced/remixed the song. That makes four different versions of the song available (Fusari Demo 1, Fusari Demo 2, Fusari Mix and Soul Diggaz Mix) - which means that I made a mistake by putting one extra, duplicate version the playlist. Turns out that there were two versions of Fusari Demo 2 in it. Sorry about that, but "Filthy Pop" has so damn many versions. At least nothing was missing from the playlist when it comes to this song.

Before going more in details of the song, I want to say something. On this song, Gaga sound almost exactly like Gwen Stefani to my ears. Okay, I know there's are obvious similarities on "Summerboy" and "Vanity", among other songs, but here it's even more apparent (especially the "spin that shit..." part, it's basically identical). If someone played me the song and told me it's an outtake from "Sweet Escape", I would've believed them. I really think she was influenced by Gwen's solo music (and even by No Doubt at times) during the Pre-Fame and The Fame eras. A bit on the nose comparison photos show visual resemblances, too:
    [​IMG]
    Clock the "Lady GaGa" - this must've been made back in 2009

The title of "Filthy Pop" pretty much sums-up the sound she was going for during the later sessions with Rob Fusari. It's literally supposed to sound trashy, but Gaga makes it effortlessly cool and extremely likeable. Her signature talk/rap/singing is apparent in the verses and the middle-8, which had to grow on me. The "play it for me baby" chorus is amazing and such an earworm. I loved it, but the rest of the song didn't really click with me until recently.
    The first demo is unfinished, of course, but perhaps showcases the similarities with Gwen in the best way.
    On the second demo, Fusari experimented a bit, adding some odd synths, including laser/spacey sounds during the middle-8. Quite atmospheric, yet a bit weird and not really fitting. The final Fusari mix is probably the best out of the three. Removing some jarring elements and adding other quirky ones, it rounds up the song very nicely. And there's a guitar popping up that really adds flavour to the song.

Finally, Soul Diggaz basically remixed the song, and made some more drastic changes to the song. First of all, the beat is completely different - more thumping and R&B-dance orientated (I really like it). Also, another difference is that they overlapped Gaga's vocals during the verses, so that there are chorus vocals in the background and vice verse. The same goes for the middle-8, which is less recognizable for that version. I'm most familiar with that version, but am still not sure which one is my favourite. I think I prefer her voice on this version, actually - it sounds very clean, especially during the chorus.

Lyrically, it's Gaga's signature gimmicks to the max. I mean:

Dance, Mr Radio nerd
    How 'bout we trade them speakers
    for these new Jimmy Choo sneakers?
    What do ya' say? What do ya' say?

This verse is just one of the examples. And, of course, there's the iconic line "spin that shit, spin it 'till it's platinum", which basically happened with 90% of her music output.

I haven't payed attention to "Filthy Pop" that much before, but I've known the Soul Diggaz version and listened to that one the most. Like I've mnetioned, the chorus is my favourite part, the hook is infection, and while the verses shouldn't work for me, Gaga's charming delivery makes that happen, too. The talent. It still isn't a perfect song, of course, but I thoroughly enjoy it nonetheless.

I'm a bit surprised that "Filthy Pop" didn't do better here (i.e. reached top 20). Perhaps knowing it for a long time made me think it was loved by the fans, but looks like that's not exactly the case. It could've done a bit better, but I can cope with this placement.

A lot of you liked Fusari's mix the best.
    Kicking off with @soratami (7), who says: "Fusari Mix all the way" and @Seventeen Days (7.5), who will surely agree with that: "My score goes entirely to the Fusari Mix, as I think he give this the best spin it could get." @AshtrayHeart (9) is even more impressed by that version: "I always hoped this would somehow make it onto the end of The Fame Monster deluxe edition, slotted right after Retro Dance Freak. I think Fusari might be the best version." I think it would've been a great addition to the album, too.

However, @Pat (8.5) chooses another version: "The ‘Soul Diggaz Mix’ is def the version I use the most. Cute lil bop." The highest scorer, @yeRleDanaL (10), approves: "The Soul Diggaz version is the one that I've always known. That chorus is just so iconic and gets stuck in your head SOOOOO easily. Honestly the only obnoxious part is how the chorus is like overlayed with a verse or whatever? But I can look past that. Also that beat is pumpin' too."
    @Phonetics Boy (8) proclaims: "Demo 3 pops." and I'm not sure which version she's referring to, but I think @DinahLee (7) is talking about the same demo: "Didn’t care that much til that last demo (V3?) that leaked. Got a little obsession. It’s kinda hard to judge a song when it has different versions like this but when at least one of them grab you, it’s fair to give it a nice score (same about Fever)" And that's exactly why I asked you to rate your preferred version.

@berserkboi (8.1) mentions vocal affectations for the 147th time: "There is enough to love here in the instrumental and the background rhythm for a high score, but those vocal affectations!! Please tell me she drops them soon!" This literally serves as a transition between Pre-Fame and The Fame sessions, and therefore having some typical Team Love Child elements incorporated. At least you were generous with the score. One of the reason is @DominoDancing's (6) comment: "I...was under the impression that this is considered a hidden gem? I don't see anything special about it. Demo 2 sounds particularly shit." Oof. But I have quite an amount moments like that, too.

Surprisingly, @Petit nain des Îles @Crisp X (8.5) is the only one who mentions the obvious similarities with another artist: "Huge Gwen Stefani vibes in the first demo. That’s the one I prefer, even if I like the production in the second one." And he's not alone in choosing the first demo. @M24 (8.25) calls it: "kinda trashy but it's among the better batch of songs I guess. I think I prefer Demo 1. Also, I love that voice she does kind of clenching her teeth." Whatever that means, but we agree it bops. The same word is used by @spaceship (8), who simply says: "Bop" We're doing real filthy bop.

This time, the negative Nancy in the commentary is @Laurence (3) "This never clicked with me... Dunno why?" Maybe you didn't play it enough. Play it for me, baby...

Fusari Demo 1:

Fusari Demo 2:

Fusari 'final' Mix:

Soul Diggaz Mix:

Next up: We finally reach the 7+ average territory. Obviously, it's another song from "The Fame" sessions.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    soratami, M24, spaceship and 15 others like this.
  5. Thank God it wasn't "Fashion."

soratami, M24, spaceship and 2 others like this.
  6. That's interesting. And what's more interesting than that is the fact that they worked with Gaga on a circus-themed song almost a year before Britney recorded and released "Circus" (where Gaga has a songwriting credit on "Quicksand"). Makes you think.
    Well, it's still in danger, considering that "The Fame" sessions section cull is still going.

7. I just realized that there's five songs left until the Top 20 and five songs left in The Fame section. Here's to hoping that not every elimination is from The Fame. Or "Fashion" is literally No. 20.

Untouchable Ace, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  8. I thought I had given this a bigger score, mess.
    Demo 2. is my actual favorite version of the song. That final Fusari mix... Why all the songs sound the same? I also thought that Demo 2. Was the actual "Soul Diggaz Mix" cuz the beat was different. Now I see... No.

I find it fascinating when we have many different versions of the same song and unironically I believe this one is the song that we have more versions out there??

Things were getting interesting.

Maki likes this.
  9. Filthy Pop is just not good, y'all. Never liked it.

Maki likes this.
  10. I feel that the Soul Diggaz mix is the smoothest listen for me because it leaked very early and I'm just used to it the most.
    The Fusari Final mix is not bad either.

Maki likes this.
  11. The Gwen comparisons are spot on, I hadn't thought about it up until now! The "Spin that shit, spin it till it's platinum" is blatantly Gwen.

Filthy Pop is just... there. There are cute ideas spilled over there, the "play it for me baby, give it to me" melody being recycled for Summerboy, and a very interesting delivery ("fabulews"), but yeah, I'm not too sad seeing this go.

spaceship and Maki like this.
  12. Demo 2 is SHITTTTT but Demo 1 is the shit i love those brassy synths...they are kinda timbaland sounding, i also love this part where she said "intensive (yas)" that yas is so cute.

13. I'm quite surprised this one managed to last so long...

New York, London, Paris, Munich.

[​IMG]

Everybody talk about... POP MUZIK!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Take You Out

Average score: 7.003

Highest scores:
    10 x 1 (@Laurence), 9.5 x 2 (@Music Is Life, @berserkboi)
    Lowest score: 1 x 2 (@soratami, @HEARTCORE)
    My score: 7

High peak: #20 (9 voters)
    Low peak: #42 (19 voters)

And yet another "The Fame" sessions song leaves in a row. I though this would bow out somewhere in at 30-something, but it exceeded my expectations. As you can see, it dropped all the way down below top 40 at one points, but managed to resurrect afterwards. Also, this is the final song we eliminated which has a lowest score of 1. Actually, the last time we saw a song receive multiple 1's is "Changing Skies", all the way back at #51. Impressive how "Take You Out" managed to go this far, considering that fact. However, looking further on the scoreboard, it wasn't that divisive at all - the next lowest score is one 4, followed by a couple of 5's. And @soratami can finally be satisfied, because this was his lowest score in the entire rate.
    Oh, and I love how the average score almost exactly matches my score.

"Take You Out" was written in 2008 by Lady Gaga and Martin Kierszenbaum (Cherry Cherry Boom Boom), for another artist, in attempt of a World Cup song. The song surfaced online on December 24th, 2011, one day before Gaga self-released "Stuck on Fuckin' You". She even acknowledged that and wrote about the song on Twitter:

Obviously and reasonably, they didn't use it for the intended purpose.
    Also, "Take You Out" is one of the very few unreleased Gaga songs that samples other songs. It samples M's song "Pop Muzik" (in the middle-8) and Kool & The Gang's "Let's Go Dancing (Oh La La La)" (basically the entire instrumental) and I had no idea about how prominent they are until recently. Those two songs were respectively released in 1979 and 1982, which justifies Gaga's love for retro music, even if it's a bit of a different style than what we're used to.

It's one of the earliest unreleased Gaga songs I've heard (mainly because it has leaked way before 2016), but I was never too keen on it. "Take You Out" out is a breezy, summery and light song, with some funk and slight reggae influences. Basically:

I really enjoy it while it plays, but there's not really anything too special about the song that makes me want to come back to it. Very cute and charming, although not too notable. The very repetitive background sample gets a bit tiring, while the guitar and brass combination makes it cool. Luckily, it's a short song and therefore completely harmless. The lyrics are kind of a love song mixed with empowerment and obvious soccer/football references and that is cute, too. I do like the chorus, which is very catchy, and the random male vocals in the background popping up are a bit odd. The point of the song is to be happy, fun and carefree, which explains the rather childish lyrics and sing-songy melody and general juvenile aspect of it, so I won't digging in more details.
    I must say it overstayed its welcome by a bit, too, but not much at all.

Also, has Gaga managed to find out the difference between soccer and football?
    To be honest, I didn't know that for some time and it's still a bit confusing.

Anyways, the song managed to charm a lot of you, which is evident by the commentary.
    Starting with @DominoDancing (8), who has a nice take on this: "She doesn't go this light and breezy often. This is suuuper basic and sounds like a Fun Factory track, but I like it as such." Maybe that explains why I though there's something 90's about it.

@Pat (8) seems to be fond of it and says "Really fun chorus." and @spaceship (8) is on the same page: "I'm obsessed with this. These is something so positive and cheerful about it" Must be the reggae influences, which @Seventeen Days (7.5) mentions: "Usually that “vaguely tropical/reggae” sound does nothing for me, but I’m kind of digging it on here." Really charming song indeed.
    Speaking of genres, @pop3blow2 (9.1) comes along with an interesting description: "Gaga doing some Yacht-rock-bops? Sure. This is actually kinda cute." That's a unique wording, yet totally makes sense!

@berserkboi (9.5) loves the song and name-drops another voter: "Very addictive too! She should sell this off to a Teen Pop Idol who is just starting out like Miley Cyrus (kidding, @Music Is Life!!)" Oh, what do I hear? It's @Music Is Life's (9.5) stomping after hearing Miley Cyrus comparison: "There’s something very sunny bout the production that I like." @berserkboi and @Music Is Life even gave the exact same score to the song!
    Meanwhile, @CorgiCorgiCorgi (6) compares the song to another artist: "It's all very Gwen Stefani" Funny how I was discussing the similarities with Gwen in "Filthy Pop" yesterday- there are so many song options for that! And @SyPOPhantic (6) thinks that the song "sounds like a Spice Girls DEMO / Scrap." I don't know whether that's a good or a bad thing, to be honest, but the childish aspect is evident.

One of the lowest scorers, @HEARTCORE (1), doesn't say a word. Literally: ".............." Now, there are 14 dots... *Miley Cyrus' screaming voice* what does it mean? It certainly means that he hates the song, but what exactly, we don't know.

Apparently, the highest scorer @Laurence (10) want Gaga to take him to "Football! Lovely... A damn fun track and I am giving it a 10 in it's camp glory, right? So cute and sweet and imagine this being the damn official track for anything? Woot. But a lovely message and curious track. Can't wait to be Taken Out by Gaga!" Giving the song a 10 for campness is not the first time that happens in this rate. @VitaminBee (8) doesn't go that far, but still says: "It's kind of cheesy but also kind of catchy." , while @DinahLee (6) chants: "New York, London, Paris, Munich. Everbody talk about. POP MUSIK." I had no idea it was a sample for so long.
    @M24 (7.5) thinks that "this is a total outlier for Gaga, very reggae-influenced track." This can be called "Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)" of this rate, huh? Only that "Take You Out" is significantly weaker.

"I still believe it / And you know we won’t be defeated..."

The songs it samples:

The sampled bit first appears around the 53 seconds mark

Next up: Two voters are losing their 10's. Will "The Fame" sessions cull continue?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    soratami, M24, spaceship and 13 others like this.
  14. Awwwww, I thoroughly enjoyed this one! I was shocked to get a mention here so my heart raced a little to come check this elimination out! @Music Is Life - I namechecked you and we matched scores! Now go catch up on the Anime Rate or I’ll eliminate your 11, if I haven’t already!! Ddddd xxx

15. I liked it before but mhmm it got old reeeel quick

Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  16. I wonder who "Take You Out" was intended for.

17. Stop saying this.
    We don't want this.

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  18. Me too! Perhaps Ariana Grande (as I think some people thought and that was before they duetted together Rain on Me). But I would definitely want to know who cause I am pretty sure it is somebody entirely else.

Maki and elektroxx like this.
  19. I was wondering the same thing.
    I think it's not Ariana, since her music career started in 2012/13, and "Take You Out" was written in 2008.
    Maybe it could've been Britney, although there's a possibility that she just placed the idea and left the song demo for someone else to record it, no matter who.

By the way, the next elimination will occur tomorrow. Any guesses?

20. Tell me what score I am losing, then I’ll guess ;) lol

Maki likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.