Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. I know that no one cares about this, but my computer has been broken for almost a week now and I'm unable to create more new artworks because of that, which is frustrating.

Anyways, the first part of a different kind of spotlight should be posted tomorrow!

2. RMK

RMK

Second Time Around was a Fame Monster cut? I totally thought that was pre-fame, I'm absolutely shook.

Maki likes this.
  3. Yep, it was written and recorded in late 2008 or early 2009, but for another artist.

RMK, Music Is Death and collxtion like this.
  4. Oh yes, sorry! I got it. Unsure yet if I’ll have time to score everything but I’m gonna give it a try.

Maki likes this.
  5. Okay, thanks for letting me know (and the other few who confirmed me in the PM's)!
    Don't worry, a deadline extension is very likely to happen, so you should be able to vote in time.

The thing is that I'm not sure if it's allowed to post downloadable unreleased music links publicly, so I just send a PM to everyone who liked posts regarding this rate and/or posted here.
    There were a few questions about the playlist, but it is what it is right now.

Sorry for the slight delay, but I should post another spotlight very soon!​

6. Yes I'm pretty sure that's against the rules, which is why I'm grateful you did this and had this idea, cause it led to me deciding to do it for my unreleased JoJo rate when it opens.

Phonetics Girl, Crisp X and Maki like this.
  7. Popping in to say that I don't think I'll be able to do this. I have a lot of other PJ related things to get done (and also hosting my first) as well as life stuff. So, being as I'm not very familiar with Lady Gaga's main discography, I don't know if I could do this justice.

Thank you for inviting me though @Maki. Love you xx

8. I did! Sorry for not answering.

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  9. Yeah, that's what I thought. Good to hear that there will be another unreleased rate in the future.
    That's absolutely fine, I had no idea whether you had any interest in Lady Gaga. Also, I completely understand how those contests and rates can be time-consuming.
    Good luck with your rate and I wish you all the best in personal life!

@myblood, thanks for the confirmation.

10. Okay, but these Stefani demos have NO right to be as good as they are.

Love sick(uh) girl.
    [​IMG]

Where does it hurt?
    [​IMG]

Where does it hurT?
    [​IMG]

ooh
    Love sick(uh) girl.

11. The other type of spotlight will concentrate on Lady Gaga's history, before the fame, to be exact (possibly split into five parts). I know there's Wikipedia etc. but this will be a more concise revision of Gaga's (or Stefani's) life before the fame. Even though a lot of fun and lesser known facts will be shared along with the eliminations, these posts will also hold a lot of trivia. Let's begin...

[​IMG]

Childhood and first steps into the music world (1986 - 2001)
    [​IMG]

Lady Gaga was born on March 28th 1986, as Stefani Germanotta, which we all probably know. She has a sister Natali, who was born six years later. Stefani showed interest in music from the very young age, even while she was a toddler. Around the age of four, she started to learn piano by ear and by the age of 6 (most likely in 1992), wrote her first song called "Dollar Bills", which was inspired by another song, as she says:
    My dad was listening to what I now know was Pink Floyd's "Money” and understanding only the sounds of the cash register in the intro, I wrote a song called "Dollar Bills” on my Mickey Mouse staff paper. The musical notation was of high quality in comparison to the lyrics on the page - none of which were actually spelled correctly. I've always had some difficulty saying what I really mean with just words.

Writing notes corretly, while spelling words incorrectly - talent only!

Over the next 5-10 years, she received a classical training for piano, joined Convent of the Sacred Heart, a private Roman Catholic school, and started taking singing lessons. During the school days, she had friends, but had some insecurities, as she told in an interview: I used to get made fun of for being either too provocative or too eccentric, so I started to tone it down. I didn’t fit in, and I felt like a freak.
    Yeah, Stefani has always been eccentric - she didn't change her style overnight in 2008, like some people may think. The inspiration for some portion of her songs is likely linked to that. The bullying continued after high school, but more about that later.

[​IMG]
    Stefani, aged 10, portraying Lady Gaga Michelle Pfeiffer

Moving forward, Stefani wrote her first piano ballad called "To Love Again" at the age of 13 (which, based on the title, sounds like something that could appear on "A Star Is Born").
    Gaga wrote the song in approximately 15 minutes, or the time it took for her father to walk home from the parking garage. She described the song as: being in love and then losing it... with someone... and then... saying we can find what made us fall in love in the first place. In the later interview, she said: What the fuck I was talking about, I was 13 what the hell I know of love? I think I was losing my innocence.

Apart from writing songs, Stefani ventured into acting for a while. That's right - our favorite Oscar winning actress had experience in front of the camera (and in theatre) at least since she was 14. The following footage may be her first acting role, filmed for the educational video about sexual harassment in school:

You can feel that award-winning presence, hehe

According to the uploader, the film was released in 2007, but was filmed years earlier (I'm going to say it's most likely in 2001/2002). Interestingly, there isn't any word about this on Wikipedia.

Stefani had a great performance, especially considering it's her first acting experience, and the video includes some very GIF-able moments:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Feel free to use them as reactions to the eliminations

She also starred in another show, but more about that in the next part.

To be continued...​

pop3blow2, stuaw, Filippa and 9 others like this.
  12. Loved that spotlight @Maki!!

13. That was amazing. Very curious to see what's in store for the next four parts.

14. Thank you!
    For the next part(s), you can expect more music-related things (even though they are not in the first stage of preparation yet).

Speaking of which, now that we have multiple spotlights, they are available as an easy-access on the first page of this thread:
    I'll keep editing the post as they continue to be posted.

15. Support talent! That's one of my favorites out of the unreleased.

There are many hidden gems to discover in certain sections.

16. Listening to all of the tracks and it's a shame that a lot of the demos written for other artists in 2008 and 2009 weren't recorded and released by other artists. So many bops gone to waste.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  17. That's true. A lot of wasted opportunities, both for Gaga and other artists.
    Still, I expect that section to reign supreme here, so at least it's some kind of success.

On an unrelated note, my computer is now fixed (or, better say, replaced) which means I can go back to creating artworks.

Anyways, the first few votes are in and it's so exciting (and at some points frustrating) to see how the leaderboard changes. It's such a joy to see all those different opinions on certain songs that inputting scores and commentary doesn't feel like work at all.

Also, another spotlight should be up tomorrow!

pop3blow2, myblood, Crisp X and 6 others like this.
  18. As promised...

[​IMG]

Living on the Radio
    Reason for not being included: song only performed live, with no redeemable sound quality

One of the two live original songs we're not rating is "Living on the Radio":

It was written in 2010 and Lady Gaga appears to be the only writer of the song. The song was initially intended for "Born This Way", as it was written in the early stages of the album creation, but was ultimately excluded for quite obvious reasons. The song was performed only once (at least with footage to prove it), and its one-off live performance occurred on August 30th 2010, at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, Minnesota (posted above), during the The Monster Ball Tour. Unfortunately, the audio quality isn't good enough, and the public interrupting the song would've made this an unfair addition to this rate, so it had to be excluded. After she finished performing the song, she said it was "straight from my soul to you", which may be a hint that the song was written for the fans. This isn't verified, but, according to fans, Gaga performed the song before her rehearsal for Lollapalooza in 2010. No audio nor video footage of that one, though.
    On May 27, 2011, Gaga tweeted to a fan that she'll eventually release "Living On the Radio"; the only reason it wasn't included on Born This Way was because she wanted to "keep the pace of the album hard", which totally makes sense, especially because I can't imagine this song in a different arrangement.
    Here's the tweet:

Obviously, that didn't happen, but it isn't surprising, since there's a lot of things she promised that didn't happen (I'm reading all the promises for the other albums, especially "ARTPOP"... damn). She could've released the song separately and unrelated to the album, just like she did with "Stuck on Fuckin' You".

It isn't 100% known whether the studio recording of this song exists, so we can only speculate, although Gaga's response indicates that the recorded song may be stashed somewhere in one of her studios.

This piano ballad, clocking just over 2 and a half minutes has quite an unconventional, almost jazzy vibe that brings us all the way back to "Captivated", at least that's the song it reminded me the most of. The performance has a pretty intimate atmosphere, which the song is supposed to create (apart from fans randomly screaming and interrupting her gorgeous singing). Only Gaga and the piano. It's worth noting that her classical vocal training is really prominent here and it's a great example of how she perfected that subtle, yet convincing delivery. The lyrics are lovely, although a bit mysterious to me - the meaning is a bit ambiguous. I'm going to assume it's about Gaga's career and how her songs are on the radio no matter what happens in her private life, but it also can be applied to her fans, from the perspective that she's singing the song directly to the public. I've got no friends / I'm my own queen / But I'm living on, living on the radio, that's my dream... is probably the most revealing part of the song's meaning. It's a pretty sad song, if we consider it includes Gaga's career effecting her private life.
    Like it isn't obvious enough, there's a song in this rate titled "Nothing On (But the Radio)", which was written a short time before this one. Maybe it is somewhat linked, but I doubt it.

Anyways, "Living on the Radio" isn't one of my favorite unreleased Gaga's songs, but I must admit that the performance has something undeniably endearing to it. I would've given it a 6,75 even though I usually struggle to rate songs that are only performed live.

What are your thoughts on this song? Was it deservingly cut off the album or did it deserve to have its moment?​

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    stuaw, myblood, Filippa and 10 others like this.
  19. And we're up to 5 voters!
    [​IMG]
    How's it going for the rest of you?

I'll post the first leaderboard tea soon (probably when I wake up).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.