Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 52 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Oh, I see. Understandable.

The next elimination will be up in a couple of hours.

2. Moving on...

Let’s get messed up.

You’re so messed up.

PsYcHoTiC mUsIc HeAd!

*euphoric drop*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stache (with Zedd)

Average score: 7.871

Highest score:
    10 x 6 (@VitaminBee, @HEARTCORE, @m_dimitrov, @Ana Raquel, @Music Is Life, @Laurence)
    Lowest score: 4.5 x 1 (@Pat)
    My score: 7.75

High peak: #12 (20 voters)
    Low peak: #20 (5 voters, 7 voters)

And "ARTPOP" sessions section crowns its winner - "Brooklyn Nights". Really, was there any doubt about that?
    Either way, "Stache" has always been the runner-up for this section, since all four songs from it were evenly spread across the leaderboard. I had no idea how it would do here, since it was barely mentioned elsewhere, but seems like it has a very few detractors and quite a lot of fans; enough fans to not leave the top 20 throughout the voting period, but also enough detractors to never reach the top 10, too. Also, the last time we talked about an "ARTPOP"-related song was when "Posh Life" was eliminated way back at #47, which is an impressive leap.

"Stache" was written by Lady Gaga and Rob Fu-... oh, wait. It's been a while since I mentioned other songwriters. This song initially began its life as an instrumental form and was released on Zedd's debut album "Clarity" on 2nd October, 2012. It was even released as a promotional single on the same day, along with a music video, which is the first time it was heard by the public.
    On August 22nd, 2012, Gaga first hinted at this song remix in her own artpop-esque way:

The song was actually created separately - Zedd's instrumental and Gaga's acapella vocals, which she wrote and recorded along to "Stache" instrumental and she posted on SoundCloud on 6th October, 2012. Now it's time for Gagapedia to do its thing and describe the process:
    As a gift to fans, Gaga recorded vocals over the track. Upon promotion for the song, Gaga used Twitter, LittleMonsters.com, and SoundCloud to create a puzzle. She uploaded instructions and the acapella of the song. She asked fans to create the song while working with the instrumental and figuring out the pitch of the acapella.
    Here's what the instructions looked like:
    [​IMG]
    Behind the scenes of "Stache" and "Cake Like Lady Gaga" are some of Gaga's witty ways of interacting with fans. ("Chromatica" era wishes)

Zedd also collaborated with Gaga on "Aura", "G.U.Y." and "Donatella", which have more or less similar electro-synth-pop sound of the album.
    "Stache" was rumored to be a part of the infamous "ARTPOP Act II", but nothing has been confirmed, of course.

The song itself is a dizzying LSD trip and it's quite typical for this era. That instrumental really makes it sound as what a kaleidoscope looks like, if you get what I mean. A drop after drop of colorful synths. Pretty much a sonic ride. I imagine the song would pop off if she performed it live.
    Also, some of Gaga's hilarious lyrics and vocal delivery add her special touch. The use of cannabis was also referenced in "Mary Jane Holland", and, to a lesser extent, in "Jewels N' Drugs", so it doesn't stray away from the era lyrically, either. What is unique about "Stache" is its unconventional structure. There are no defined verses, only the "where's my stache?" hook is easily noticeable. Even though the melody doesn't resonate with me, my score was mostly due to the amazing instrumental and the "There’s no particular thing that I want..." part which is excellent.
    I'm not mad it managed to reach the top 15, but there are plenty of better songs in my opinion.

The commentary has quite an amount of different opinions, obviously, but only a few negative comments.

@DominoDancing (7) loves Zedd's contribution to the song: "Hm. I actually like the instrumental well enough, but Gaga improvising some random vocal lines over it does not make for a good song." It's good news for you - the song not only has an instrumental , but that instrumental was officially released, too (assuming you didn't already know about it).

Our frequent high scorer @Laurence (10) is feeling it: "A bop! I love this. It was a long time ago since I listened to this. Woooo. The lyrics are not relatable to me as I don't do weed and shit, but what a track. Let's party, let's get messed up, you're so messed up. A bridge. Weew. I just love how epic this is.", and I'm sure @VitaminBee (10) will agree with him: "Psychotic. Music. Head! It's such a bop and it truly goes off."
    On the completely other side, @Pat (4.5) gets shady: "This can stay in 2013." Ouch. And speaking of shade, here comes @M24 (7) with this statement: "Too EDM for me. I guess it's better than a few failed trashy bops from previous eras tho, so I give it a generous 7." Trashy bops was Gaga's speciality back in the pre-fame days, so let's not.

@DinahLee (7) knows the story (I never doubted they did): "Another “Gift”. Cute." and @spaceship (8) reflects that, too: "This was such a moment when she leaked it on Soundcloud and still pretty enjoyable."
    Meanwhile, @berserkboi (8.5) makes a comparison that has me scratching my head, though really likes the song: "A bit bonkers Daft Punk in parts, which is always great in my book but not reaching the other highs we have here!" A question for you: Have you ever listened to "ARTPOP" or are still holding to your norm of not listening to music that is less than 10 years old?

@Untouchable Ace (9.1) calls it: "Impressive.", while @CorgiCorgiCorgi (7) isn't convinced: "Not bad, just disappointing." Fair enough. Though it might be a grower for those who weren't familiar or too keen on it, like it was for @SyPOPhantic (9.5): "I remember hating this when it was first out but I shifted pretty quickly and now it’s so good!" Was @VitaminBee responsible for that shift?

I had to save this for the end. Can you believe that @Music Is Life (10) finally loses his FIRST 10?!... Neither can I. He says: "This is a bit of a banger and kind of amazing, so here’s a 10 for it" and later asks: "Also, shouldn’t it be “Stash”?" Nope. It's "Stache", as the shortened version of moustache. And the only 'stash' this song could've possibly incorporated is a weed stash.

Original instrumental version by Zedd:

Next up: The second song with multiple 11's is leaving. It's quite a big one.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    soratami, M24, pop3blow2 and 12 others like this.
  3. Damn it! Though I’m shocked @SyPOPhantic didn’t give it a 10 though.

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  4. I've been calling for the elimination of "Stache" for a while now, so I'm glad that it's finally gone.
    Two down, three to go.
    Based on this clue, I'm going to guess "Vanity."

5. No.

And it shows.

Why am I suddenly scared?

6. Nope, I have my brand to maintain @Maki so no ARTPOP for me - far too ahead of its time dddd

Maki likes this.
  7. BOP, almost 11ed it

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  8. Stache is like a hole in my head because... I can't remember the whole puzzle thing even thought I was reading about this woman like everyday back in 2012 waiting for my BTWB concert.

I literally do not remember anything about it. The acapella, instrumental... nothing. Also I have no clue of when I first listened to it. I do remember hating it for a long time dd. Now I feel mostly indifferent (I was so bored of Gaga's obsession with weed, I think part of my disdain comes from this). Kudos for the way she actually did manage to fit lyrics with such a crazy beat.

9. Good thing that 2023 isn't too far away, haha!

I would've been scared if I were in your place, too. Just sayin'.

That's how I feel about "Rockshow"... though I can remember when the other versions leaked.
    Maybe you were just high with Princess High.

soratami and berserkboi like this.
  10. Oh, and I forgot to mention the mini-era of Princess High in 2012, when Gaga was regularly smoking weed (which I blame for her venturing in rap/hip hop at the time and producing the low-points of her career that are "Cake Like Lady Gaga" and "Jewels N' Drugs") and dressing up as Disney-esque princesses:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Even her accent was affected, becoming more posh.

This was her ultimate Princess High look , I think:
    [​IMG]

A bit cringy, but she looks stunning in all of those photos.

Untouchable Ace and berserkboi like this.
  11. Just catching up. My biggest loses in the last 10 eliminations were -
    Freakshow 9.2
    Love Sick Girl / Yay Ha 9.4
    Fever 9.4
    Wonderful 9
    Rockshow (80's version) 9.8

Thankful that Stache has finally gone.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Maki and berserkboi like this.
  12. Oh I forgot to mention that I thought Rockshow was going higher. Bit surprised.

I didn't know we had many mixes for Rockshow dd. I really thought it was the "normal" version and the 80s mix (which felt Sooo random it leaked that I really thought it was fanmade or an edit of sorts. But it is GOOD.)

MilesAngel, Maki and Untouchable Ace like this.
  13. This is so nit-picky, but I hate that she's wearing a gown with silver embellishments with a gold crown. I hate mixed metals.

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  14. Yep, there are three different versions, and I'm pretty sure the vocal takes are different, too.

Next elimination coming tomorrow. Place your bets.

15. Regarding this hint, it has to be... I got no idea! I'm thinking of Vanity or Dirty Ice Cream

Maki likes this.
  16. My lowest score is Out Of Control as I don't really like the chorus. But I wouldn't mind if Let Love Down left.

Maki likes this.
    Untouchable Ace, Maki and elektroxx like this.
  18. Haha, sometimes it is painful that I have to like certain posts, just because I set a norm to myself.

Sorry, but I wasn't really in the mood today, so my 'tomorrow' means 'two days'.

soratami, pop3blow2, Laurence and 4 others like this.
  19. sending (future) love and support sweetie

soratami, MilesAngel and Maki like this.
  20. I don't mind if any rate host doesn't want to like a post I've made. It's not obligatory!

But I haven't given those songs bad scores, I just don't like them as much as the others that are left.

soratami and Maki like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.