Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 56 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Happy Birthday @Maki and of course Madonna.

2. Thank you for another round of wishes!
    (to be honest, I would've gotten some weird looks if I played these unreleased songs, @Laurence, especially "Cake Like Lady Gaga", "Ribbons" and "Changing Skies")

Finally, it's time to find out which song is the first one to fall as we enter the top 10...

How could you ever let me go?

[​IMG]

Earthquake

Average score: 8.134

Highest score:
    10 x 5 (@yeRleDanaL, @VitaminBee, @MilesAngel, @DinahLee, @Markus1981)
    Lowest score: 2 x 1 (@HEARTCORE)
    My score: 7.75

High peak: #4 (8 voters, 9 voters)
    Low peak: #14 (11 voters, 12 voters)

"The Fame Monster" sessions section finally takes another hit. It's been a while, huh? The last time a song from that section was eliminated is "Freakshow", which was back at #22. After all, it shouldn't be odd that a section that occupies seven spots in a top 10 is the one to leave first. "Earthquake" didn't receive a lot of perfect scores, but it did managed to get plenty of scores between 8 and a 9, which secured it this placement in the end, despite floating above and dipping below the top 10 halfway through.

"Earthquake" was written by Lady Gaga and Space Cowboy (who also did the production) in late 2009/early 2010. The song title was thought to be "Then You'd Love Me", but the official song registration sites say otherwise.
    The most notable thing about this song is that its pre-chorus (with slightly altered lyrics) was re-used in "Fashion of His Love", where it only appears once, before the second chorus. For that reason, there are some speculations that the song was recorded during the "Born This Way Sessions", though I decided to not add it to that section, since 2009 still very much counts as "The Fame Monster" era. Maybe it was one of the sub-sessions she did between wrapping up and releasing the album EP whatever "The Fame Monster" is considered or very early "Born This Way" sessions. We may never know.

Another thing I must point out is that this song isn't finished and the 'full' version of it is just around 2 minutes long. The version I included just repeats the verse ~ pre-chorus ~ chorus one more time, along with the original outro, while the versions found on Youtube, tack on another pre-chorus and chorus at the end, making it sound more fan-made.

"Earthquake" is very good. Not top 10-worthy good, but, yeah, I really like it. Sparkly synths are all around this song. Even though I'm not too impressed by this song, there is something very charming about it. The couplet "I scream your name across the bar / I carry pictures of your Neil Young guitar" is adorable (and implies that this is yet another song inspired by Lüc Carl) and the lyrics in general are quite touching. Sonically, it threads a thin line between "The Fame Monster" and "Born This Way" eras, which may explain why a section of it was re-used. I love how her vocals sound here, too - very expressive in an emotional way, giving a sadder edge to the lyrics. It almost doesn't make sense why they went with a more glimmering instrumental. As for my favourite part, it has to be the verses, because the chorus is kind of monotone and pales a bit when compared to the rest. The outro is a bit interesting, with those 80's sound effects that ring a bell to "Born This Way". And, I must say that this is better than "Fashion of His Love", which actually is among my least favourite songs from that album. It's just a bit too annoying for me, which can't be said for "Earthquake".

As my lowest score out of the 10 remaining songs, I'm pleased to see it leave first.
    But some of you won't be happy.
    For example, @DinahLee (10), who almost gave it the highest mark possible: "Another one that almost got my 11. I’m truly fascinated by this song. It’s so heavy, so packed. Nothing else I can say, really, I just love it. (it is better than FOHL)." Well, it's a good thing you went with your actual 11 choice. And, yes, it's better than "Fashion of His Love".

@pop3blow2 (9) has an odd take: "This sounds like shit, but you can hear the great song in there if this was a bit more polished." Actually, now that I think more about it, there is something "Changing Skies" about this one, in terms of production.
    @Untouchable Ace (8.4) makes a strong point: "She sounds so vulnerable. It almost does not match the glittering production." Even though juxtapositions are great, I love when sadder songs go as sad as possible musically, too. @berserkboi's score (9.4) was resurrected by the retro moment: "Would have been a slightly lower score, but then it started giving me Blue Monday in the final moments!" Yes, these are the 80's influences that I mentioned.

Some of the high scorers, like @VitaminBee (10), are impressed. "It's a good track. It's nice to hear a version that doesn't end with a power down effect." I don't really know what this implies to. Can you explain, please? @yeRleDanaL (10) wishes she did more with this song, in terms of promotion: "Miss Gaga... Sampling this song in Fashion of His Love was NOT ENOUGH!!!! Another song that would be amazing if it had verse variation. The prechorus (that later gets reused) and the chorus are both great. Kind of a sad song even though I'm not sure it's supposed to be."
    However, @spaceship (6) says: "I feel like it's a bit all over the place." Maybe that's what @M24 (8) thought before re-listening to it, as he says: "I didn't like it on first listen, yet now I think it's decent."

Among fans, we have @SyPOPhantic (9): "Honestly love this song so much, Gaga has such a skill with crafting a great pre-chorus." Similarly, @Pat (8.5) calls it: "Another top notch outtake, too bad this is just a snippet." Two minutes is a bit long to be called a snippet, but I do get what you mean.
    @Laurence (8) says: "Nice track, a bit unfinished yet. It was done by Garibay I guess? It's beautiful. A strong track and heavenly pre-chorus, we all know how that turned out. The chorus is a bit weak though..." Yeah, the chorus seems weaker than the rest. And, nope, it's Space Cowboy on the production, though your assumption totally makes sense. @DominoDancing (7.5) thinks that the song: "Would make a perfectly fine album track, it's just a little bit too generic for more." I agree with this. @Seventeen Days (9) has a good ear: "How funny that I was just thinking “wow, this sounds vaguely like Fashion of His Love”, and right then she sang lyrics from it. This is a catchy little track." Exactly, and that's why I think it's appropriate to spotlight both songs.

And the song that re-uses a part of "Earthquake":

Next up: A song that technically doesn't belong here, but it's so good it had to be included.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    soratami, Pat, M24 and 10 others like this.
  3. Ahw. But at least I did not lose a 10. I am just out of 9s now. I do have 7s and 8s also. And my 11.
    Well that can only be Fashion. As it is not a demo but still cut from the OG Gaga rate. Kind of shook if it goes now. It is fantastic.

4. Happy belated birthday, @Maki! I hope you had a blessed day!

I love Earthquake in all its melodramatic glory. There's something so innocent and almost teenager-like in the lyrics and her delivery, that intense passion and hyperbolic expression of her feelings - it sits nicely along Gaga's cutesy, teenage dream moments (Eh, Eh, Summerboy, or Brown Eyes).

It definitely needed more polish (that "left on this planet" vocal always irked me), but this was a very cute demo.

5. In your "supplied" file list for the rate, the Earthquake MP3 didn't end like the SoundCloud version ends. I didn't think it ended any other way other than the "powered down" warped one until I did this rate.

6. Earthquake - 10. This was a great discovery. I love the melody and synths, especially when they're mixed in with piano. I wish there was a higher quality version. I prefer it to 'Fashion Of His Love.'

7. No. Not "Fashion."

8. Oh, okay. I know that there's multiple versions of the song (as mentioned in the write up), but wasn't sure what exactly you were talking about. Thanks for explaining.
    Thank you, dear!
    Yes, this actually makes a lot of sense. It can easily be slotted among her 'cutesy love songs'.

9. Also - current thread title is inspired by this:

Don't ask me why I remembered this, because I don't know it myself.

soratami and Untouchable Ace like this.
  10. ddd it's Fashion with that title for sure right. I'm not sure why people think the Heidi version is better...

soratami, VitaminBee and Maki like this.
  11. Stream indie excellence

12. Oh my god happy belated birthday sis!!

13. Best thing about Earthquake is the spoken intro "what if i were to leave you...." i'm CRYING mom.

14. Album of the year (2019).

Thank you!
    The intro of "Earthquake" makes me cringe for some reason... maybe it's the nasal tone, I don't know.

Also, with the next elimination (which should be posted tomorrow), I'll be left with only one 10.
    [​IMG]

soratami and berserkboi like this.
  15. I know what you said about Lucky Star!

Maki likes this.
  16. Well, it may or may not be. I won't reveal anything yet, but now you know that "Lucky Star" isn't my 11 for sure.

I won't post any hints about the next song we're losing, since the selection is becoming narrower and narrower, and some of you have already started guessing (but I'm not going to tell you if it's correct).

soratami, berserkboi and MilesAngel like this.
  17. It is the nasal tone that made me love it hahahhaha

Maki and MilesAngel like this.
  18. Looks like there won't be an elimination tonight, either. Sorry, but if I don't manage to finish the write up by tomorrow evening, I'll ask one of you (or my back-up host, @Sprockrooster) to do it instead.
    I really don't want this rate to get to another halt for no particular reason.

19. Okay, "Bitch I'm Madonna" being eliminated and it causing a mess in the Madonna rate thread gave me enough energy to do the next write up (which is not completely finished yet). Also:

BUMP

[​IMG]

soratami, Laurence, elektroxx and 5 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.