Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 57 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. I love that thirsty Venus wig so much!
    [​IMG]

2. You tell me! The entire "ghost" looks are iconic:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh, and this was a serve:
    [​IMG]

And so was this:
    [​IMG]

3. Some of my favorite ARTPOP look eras. I assume this is what she would have looked like in the Venus video.

Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  4. We're down to single digits now!

What could be leaving next?

soratami, pop3blow2, Laurence and 6 others like this.
  5. Let's see...

But lately I've been feeling naughtier than usual...

[​IMG]

Out of Control

Average score: 8.144

Highest score:
    10 x 6 (@myblood, @elektroxx, @yeRleDanaL, @spaceship, @Laurence, @Maki)
    Lowest score: 4 x 1 (@AshtrayHeart)
    My score: 10

High peak: #2 (5 voters, 6 voters)
    Low peak: #15 (18 voters)

I managed to fool you again.mp3 when it comes to "Fashion"-related 'stunts'. Yes, we lost "Out of Control", which managed to snatch a top 10 placement. It has been going strong in the very beginning, even being the runner-up for a hot minute (a term which had me looking for a dictionary), before crashing below the top 10 and wobbling around that position. Luckily, it managed to land at #9 in the end. It didn't receive an 11, nor a lot of 10's, but got an impressive ten or eleven scores that were between 9 and 10, which propelled it this far.

"Out of Control" was written by Lady Gaga and Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins in 2008, presumably for her second studio album (there I said it!) There was a rumor that this song is a demo for "Monster", which was obviously proven wrong once the song surfaced.
    The reason I mentioned that "Out of Control" technically doesn't belong here, is because we have rated a 'fan made' version of it. Yes, we have yet to hear the full version. For that reason, it became one of Gaga's most sought-after unreleased songs and fans are still finding a way to get to it (hi, @Laurence!). The part that leaked is less than 1:30 long, which would've excluded it from this rate because it would be more suitable for the snippet highlights we did. But hell no did I allow that to happen! And the popularity proved that it was a correct choice, since it managed to reach the top 10.

But that brings us to the question: does the full version even exist?
    Yes, it does, and we know that because a short LQ snippet of the second verse surfaced (linked below). From what can be heard, the lyrics are:

...you know I'm into that new rave...

...baby I'm a toy,
    Let's play Out Of Control...

So - someone has (or at least had) the song and, for some reason, hesitating to put it online. There were some speculations that the song has been permanently deleted from the server, meaning that no one can access it anymore. Will it ever leak in full? One can only hope.

The version we rated consists of the same part repeated twice and an additional chorus and an instrumental middle-8, which is almost certainly fanmade (the only other song which came close to being considered a snippet and was manufactured into a "full" song is "Earthquake", which was the previous elimination, oddly enough). When it comes to the sonic variations in the instrumental, I believe that the version in the playlist I sent you keeps all of the 'original' components, and the additional elements found otherwise aren't the original production - there are tons of different fanmade versions online (some even having random "features", like Bey and Nicki). So, do your research, if you want to - there may be some versions that are more appealing.

Anyways, for what we have of "Out of Control", I adore it. That thumping beat. Those propulsing synths. The wig-snatching combo of verses and pre-chorus. For sure among my favourite unreleased Gaga songs.
    It has always been among my most-played and most memorable songs among her demos, which may have to do with the fact that I might've heard it even before properly listening to her discography (I'm not 100% sure about that, though). Either way, this is a fantastic song. The verses are so good, and those angelic aaaah's from Gaga make it so special and exotic, the pre-chorus is insane: impeccable melody, amazing buildup and wonderful delivery. One of her best musical moments of that (and even the next) decade, actually. The chorus, on the other hand, may be jarring and repetitive in the beginning, but once I got used to it, I'm going out of control each time it comes on. The beat is quite unique and interesting - it really sounds ahead of its time in a way. And he synths make the chorus pop off, which was a great choice to include them. Yeah, you may miss the second verse and the middle-8, but this is an undeniably astounding tune that deserved so much more recognition.
    Out of the songs that made it to the top 10, it's my second favourite, so as much as I'm pleased with #9, I kind of wish it went at least a bit further.

Among the commentary, a lot of praise is to be found.

Firstly, @yeRleDanaL (10) questions: "WHY WASN'T THIS RELEASED???? Literally would be my 11 if there was more verse variation. She better bring this back in full for Chromatica. The beat is just so unique and amazing." I echo everything you said. And, yeah, the "Chromatica" release didn't happen apparently.
    For a change, @Pat (9.5) loves something, saying: "Couldn’t give this a 10, because we only have a snippet, but ugh, that pre-chorus" and asks: "Will Burim ever leak the full thing?" The answer is: wejustdontknow.gif
    Appearing for the first time among the high scores, @spaceship (10) praises the song: "I love the beat and I love her delivery." Despite not giving it as high of a score, @SyPOPhantic (8.5) is making a perfectly fair statement here: "If there full were out I’d probably give it higher but it’s not, sounds like a hit." A hit indeed!

But some of the voters weren't getting the amazingness of this song.
    @berserkboi (5.8) contradicts himself in one sentence: "Pleasant overall but annoying at the same time!" I am confusion. Giving it the exact same score, @pop3blow2 (5.8) says: "This goes nowhere for me." This goes out of control and you should reconsider what you said! @M24 (6.5) has the audacity to tell Gaga what is a chorus: "That's not a chorus, Gags. Maybe the production was supposed to save that? Too bad because the verses weren't so bad." The verses are fab. I mean, the chorus isn't something to Similarly, @DominoDancing (6.5) isn't convinced and murmurs: "Hm, there's a lot going on here, but none of the parts are particularly great. Some outtakes deserve to be outtakes I guess." None of the parts are great? The pre-chorus DISAGREES.

I'm loving the special treatment the song got by @Phonetics Boy (9.5): "Shoot me I deserve it' corner: Out Of Control is better than Monster and So Happy I Could Die. Throw it on the album along with Reloaded and Animal, kick out Teeth and The Fame Monster lives up to the hype." Believe it or not, I actually agree with this (not everything, because "So Happy I Could Die" very much deserves a spot on "The Fame Monster").
    @Untouchable Ace (9.7) says: "I've only had a tagged version of this for years so thank you. It seems that this sound is current." You're welcome and, yes, it does sound current.
    @DinahLee (9) resonates the never-ending wait for the full song to surface: "The fact that what we have of this song is just a long snippet of verse + chorus and it never leaked in full after all these years. Can you say legendary?" and goes on to say: "I believe it will be top3." Are you surprised? Well, if I closed the voting at 5 or 6 voters mark, it would've been in the top 3.

Let's leave it to superstan @Laurence (10), whose commentary gets... out of control: "I have never wanted a track as bad as this. The original Taxi? Maybe so. My god. Can it fucking leak? It probably does not exist as a full one. I imagine myself in the middle with a few hot men around me and just let my imaginary world come through. This is fantastic. I like the sexy but dark vibe, the call of Out of Control? Yes - I am going out of control. This track will haunt me until it is ever out in full. Make. It. Happen. BURIM or who can. I love the lyrics, so relatable. Need that D. Get that D. Go outta control with the D. Get all the Ds around. Just!!!! *lights cigarette*"

"Give it up, put it up, not enough, not enough, not enough, I need it..."

Second verse snippets:

Next up: We're starting to decimate the remaining 11's. You better be ready for it.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    soratami, Pat, yeRleDanaL and 12 others like this.
  6. FIRST BITCH I'M MADONNA NOW THIS??
    what the fuck is going on in this place today??????

My 11 outdoing Out Of Control??
    bROOKLYN NIGHTS outdoing Out Of Control???

I have so many questions??

Untouchable Ace, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  7. You think you are confusion @Maki? Try living in my head!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

(I meant that it was interesting enough and had a 'vibe' that I wouldn't necessarily turn off when it came on, but I'd never seek it out - see also Show Stopper by Danity Kane which gives me a similar reaction, though I'd rate the later lower than this one)

8. Out of Control is so good but it weirdly never registers as a Lady Gaga song to me? It definitely has those Gaga-isms, especially during those LoveGame-ish verses but the whole song might've been the most R&B she had ever sounded up until Do What U Want. I would imagine Keri Hilson or the aforementioned Danity Kane bodying this.

soratami, yeRleDanaL, 4Roses and 6 others like this.
  9. Regarding this:
    Since "Earthquake" and "Out of Control" received no 11's, it means that there is only one song left without any. Which one could it be? And, more importantly, how long will it last?

10. Every single time that I get mentioned in this thread, I'm terrified that I've lost my eleven. Losing a ten that received very few tens does still suck though, especially "Out Of Control." What a bop. It deserved so much more.

I do agree with the rest of y'all that it does sound very un-Gaga.

sesita, Maki, spaceship and 1 other person like this.
  11. M24

M24

Ok I certainly did not expect so many The Fame Monster demos in the top ten. I don't know what y'all hear in Earthquake and Out of Control, to me they're just ok. I would've preferred Rock Show or Let Love Down making it.

About the latter, what hurt me the most was @Music Is Life's score... I DEMAND an explanation. You give 10s to almost everything that's called music... and you gave a SIX POINT FIVE to Let Love Down????????

12. I would've been okay with switching out "Earthquake" for "Let Love Down," but "Out Of Control" deserved Top 10, particularly over "Rock Show," in my opinion.

berserkboi, Maki and M24 like this.
  13. I agree that, apart from the verses, it doesn't. But that probably means that it was recorded during the sessions she did for other artists. She had quite an amount of these between 2008 and 2009 (one of them being "Telephone" demo intended for Britney).
    And speaking of R&B Gaga songs, let's not forget "Freakshow" and especially "Second Time Around".

No worries, I just like to be overly cheeky in the commentary. We all have those love/hate songs.

As for the next elimination, I just realized that I haven't made an artwork for it, so let me jumble something up real quick.

14. Scream @berserkboi & I giving out the same low score in exact decimals.

This was one of the few songs in the rate that was just a complete miss for me. I just listened again to make sure & yeah... it's not for me. I certainly did not expect it to go this far, so obvs my taste is up for trial again.

15. 5.8 is such a specific score. That's crazy that y'all happened to give that exact same score.

16. Yes, that's a nice coincidence!

Only four voters used that type of 10th of a point scoring.
    I did some research, and it turns out there are three more instances when two voters gave exactly the same score to the same song (exceptions made when that score is a 10):
    "Reel Cool" received an 8.2 from @Untouchable Ace and @MilesAngel (and a very close 8.3 from @pop3blow2).
    "New York" received an 8.4 from @pop3blow2 and @MilesAngel.
    "Fooled Me Again" received a 6.8 from @pop3blow2 and @Untouchable Ace.

@pop3blow2 sharing one score with each of the other three voters.
    #metaheaven

As for the elimination...

[​IMG]
    (Tomorrow, I promise!)

17. I still can't believe Out Of Control hasn't leaked in full yet given that the pre-Born This Way era vaults seem to be mostly emptied (same goes for Text You Pictures).

Laurence and Maki like this.
  18. TBH, I used to think that there wasn't much else to leak, but after the last batch packed with totally unknown titles (Oh Baby, Freaking Car, and then very famous stuff like Love Sick Girl and Retrosexual) I do believe there's more than Out Of Control & Text Your Pictures (and now Private Audition). There's also some Fusari titles that are yet to be heard like Cut the Cake etc.

My real interest would be what's out there from Born This Way and beyond. ARTPOP got so many leaks, especially many "early demos" that it feels just impossible that they didn't get more scrapped baterial apart from Brooklyn Nights \ Red Flame (which came from an Azealia hack I believe?) \ Partynauseous.

Also was there any explanation of why Red Flame \ Partynauseous didn't make the cut @Maki ? I think you might have explained but we've been here for some time and I probably forgot nn. (I mean, yeah, they would end up just tanking ARTPOP, but that's part of the fun n)

19. Yes, there are plenty of unreleased songs (especially with Rob Fusari) that we don't even know the titles for, but which may or may not leak. And "Private Audition" is one of my most anticipated out of the ones we have titles and/or snippets of.

I'll explain why "Red Flame" and "PARTYNAUSEOUS" weren't included, but I want to finish the write up for the next song as soon as possible.

soratami, sesita, berserkboi and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.