Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 58 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. It's getting really tense now.

Only fractions away from the last few cuts...

Show me you've got the ammunition...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reloaded

Average score: 8.172

Highest scores:
    11 x 2 (@Sprockrooster, @Crisp X), 10 x 8 (@spaceship, @HEARTCORE, @myblood, @m_dimitrov, @Untouchable Ace, @elektroxx, @Laurence, @yeRleDanaL)
    Lowest score: 5 x 2 (@DominoDancing, @TéléDex)
    My score: 8.75

High peak: #4 (14 voters)
    Low peak: #14 (8 voters)

And "The Fame Monster" sessions section is onto a streak. Now, will that continue and, if it does, for how long it will last? All the way up to the top 3, perhaps?
    Anyways, "Reloaded" was a generally loved and not too polarizing, which isn't surprising at all, since it is even considered one of the fan-favourites when it comes to Gaga's unreleased songs. For the majority of the voting period, it was in the top 10, breaking into the top 5 at certain occasions. It
    Fun fact: If @Sprockrooster and @Crisp X gave this song a 10 instead of 11, "Reloaded" would've finished at #11, instead of "Dirty Ice Cream". That's how close the eliminations were in this section of the leaderboard.

Also, I decided to swap the already messy artwork with a less messy version of it, because, after a brief observation, those added crosses just look plain ugly:
    [​IMG]

"Reloaded" was written by Lady Gaga and Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins in late 2008/early 2009 in, just like "Out of Control". Darkchild is also featured on the song, having a rap verse. As Gagapedia tells me, there was a rumor stating that the song would be a B-Side off "Telephone", however, that's false... obviously.
    It is not known whether the song was intended to, or, but I assume that it was recorded during the early recording sessions of "The Fame Monster", due to the song sounding distinctively Gaga, compared to some of the other in that time.

There's no denying: "Reloaded" is a strong bop. And no wonder it received so much love. The relentless beat, overloaded (pun not intended) with drums, clashing with those synths have got to caused some increases in scores. Such a well-crafred song, despite not being as effective as the singles from that era. I find her delivery very confident and strong - you can hear she means what she says. The verses are strong, and they make the chorus properly pops off into that catchy melody. And the "Reloaded, loaded, lo-oa-ded, lo-oa-ded..." hook with those synths is so much fun. Oh, and that middle-8 is pure Gaga delight - my favourite part of the song. Rodney jumps in after the middle-8, doing his little rap verse and reminding us of the distinctively 2008/9 years of music. It's quite random for Gaga to have a featured rapper, as she was mostly doing the thing on her own. That is the main reason I'm doubtful whether she recorded this for herself or another artist. Playful lyrics, catchy as hell melodies, addictive beat and her own specific quirks... yeah, this has to be recorded for her own project.

And this part:
    Conserve the juices, 'cause I'm gonna
    Take you on a marathon,
    I'm not ridiculous, I'm just a girl
    Who likes a man who can go long

It's that provocative Gaga that is typical for "The Fame" era. Actually, that comparison can be applied to the entire song.

Also, I have to mention that the production here is a lot better than plenty of songs here - it sounds much more developed and polished. It's nearly a finished track, despite being labelled as a demo, which brought it some advantage for sure.

Contrary to the popular opinion, I think it was correct that this song was left off from "The Fame Monster", since it doesn't really fit the concept of the album and juxtaposes a bit with the themes (fear of weapons monster?), noticeably feeling a bit too out of depth. However, I definitely think that it should've been released. Actually, it would've been a perfect bonus track for "The Fame Monster", in a way that "Disco Heaven" was a bonus track to "The Fame" - being a total bop, but not sounding essential nor too overpowering compared to the rest of the album.
    Perhaps it's not among my personal unreleased Gaga favourites, though it could've went a bit further compared to the remaining songs. This is a great placement for it, in the end.

Barely anyone was dissatisfied with this song, and the commentary confirms that.

You guessed it, @Laurence (10) is stanning, once again: "I just love this... So good. Very Lose My Breath too... What a song. I like it. I'd imagine someone would feature instead of the Darkchild bridge? Perhaps Kanye? Glad that never came out... But what a track. These synths have me going to the stars and beyond. Woosh." Ooh, "Lose My Breath" comparison is excellent!
    Losing his breath second 10 in a row, @spaceship says: "There is some thing so intriguing about this one. The background vocals are a highlight for me and it's still a very strong chorus.", but @Pat (7.5) thinks it's "Also very repetitive." Each to their own. Each to their own. Each to their own.

@pop3blow2 (9.3) says: "Who is a sucker for marching band drums? This guy! Marching band drums with synths, well forget about it. The song is fine, but some of those production choices suck me in."
    Time to piss @pop3blow2 off. Who is a hater of marching band drums? @DominoDancing (5): "Hate the drum track. Was this actually produced by Rodney Jerkins? What the hell happened there? Anyway, the middle 8 is very Gaga, but apart from that it's not very good." Yikes. At least you praised the fabulous middle-8.

@Untouchable Ace (10) questions: "So why wasn't The Fame Monster a full album? This is superb." Maybe @berserkboi (7.2) has something to tell regarding that, as he considers the song: "Nice but a little “album track filler” in the great scheme of things!" I can understand what you're talking about, but this is a bop.

@M24 (7.25) makes this mystic connection and calls it: "The prototype of Stupid Love in that chorus, ugh. It could be a grower anyway, but just like Stupid Love, I don't want to let it grow on me. Also, that rapper really came out of nowhere, didn't he?" Wow, how did you manage to pair these two songs. And "Reloaded" is so much better than "Stupid Love" (like that is a big feat lol).
    @yeRleDanaL (10) loves it all: "The chorus is so simple yet catchy. I get it stuck in my head often. I definitely think this song gives me a big throwback vibe and I think it would've done well on the radio. The bridge is also surprisingly strong. It seems like a departure from the rest of the song, but it works. I even like the part where the guy sings, imagine that." Congrats on that accomplishment.
    And @DinahLee (9) is perhaps teasing Gaga's next album "Mathematica" with this comment: "Bop³³³".
    In Mathematica... no one number is greater than another. Okay, I'll stop.

Both voters who gave this song their 11 have provided commentary, which is nice to see.

@Sprockrooster almost went with another choice: "I was going to 11 something else, but damn! This track has everything. Instant power to sweep me in again. Charge it up. Oh I am bouncing! And touching the celestial clouds when Gaga takes me to heaven in the middle-8. Even that trashy male part has me falling from the sky and grinding the floor. From a Phoenix' ash I am resurrection when Gaga finishes the song with her final chorus. A fucking banger with probably the best beat in the entire rate."

However, @Crisp X has always considered it his favourite: "When this leaked, I hadn’t started diving into her discography, yet this jumped out as one of my favorites over the last few years. The eerie bass, those delicate synths I want to swim in, those thumping claps, that pulsating beat, the hook. The bridge that makes feel like it's Halloween all of a sudden... This is an anthem that truly deserved its place in The Fame Monster."

"Charge it up, 'cause baby, you could be mine..."

Next up: A song with the least amount of 10's in this top 10.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    M24, lemonsqueezyy, soratami and 13 others like this.
  2. Surely "Retro-Physical" is next.

Phonetics Girl, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  3. Reloaded - 9.6. This is great. Without the rap feature I probably would have given it 10.

Maki, Untouchable Ace and berserkboi like this.
  4. Out of Control is such an amazing track. My only wish is for it to leak in full one day, dear god. Help me!

Reloaded is a total bop and I’mma reload my queue and add it again once more!

soratami, elektroxx, Maki and 3 others like this.
  5. Oh I thought it would at least end up in the Top 5...

6. dont really like the reloaded loaded loadedejkhsufh part but the section before it is great.

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  7. Someone @ me when No Way wins. x

8. To properly reply to @DinahLee's question about excluding "Red Flame" and "PARTYNAUSEOUS" from this rate.
    Turns out I already covered that in one of the "Songs we could've rated" spotlights (among the Bonus parts 2 and 3 respectively):

This is random, but I forgot to mention that the outro of "Reloaded" is so precious... wish it went on for a bit longer.

Also, I'm having two exams in two days, so there most likely won't be any eliminations until Wednesday.
    We're nearing the end, and I don't really wan't to rush the write ups, so my apologies for that break.

9. Thanks! I was almost sure but when checked the first page for the "Songs we could have rated" their names weren't there.

Good luck with your exams! You're gonna kill it, for the powers of my 11 (that is still in dd "lolz")

10. Good luck, @Maki! Hope you do well in your exams.

11. There's no way you are gonna fail those exams, you can do it! We'll happily await further results, take all the time you need.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  12. Thank you!
    However, putting sociology and physics exams in two consecutive days is pure evil, but I hope I'll pull through somehow.

13. That sounds intense. Good luck!

soratami, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  14. Here today to plant the seed that Brooklyn Nights IS the next cut

Laurence and Maki like this.
  15. Pat

Pat

Surprised Reloaded ended up higher than Out Of Control.

DinahLee, Maki and berserkboi like this.

16. Well, hello! It's been a while...

[​IMG]

Between the exams, the song contest deadlines, inevitable housework (including floor installation), unexpected guests and more housework, I can finally say that the eliminations should continue tomorrow evening.
    Sorry for yet another delay, but sometimes things just get in your way and completely ruin the schedule though I should blame myself for not finishing the rate earlier.

See you tomorrow!

17. We understand that you also need some time to mourn for 'To Have And Not To Hold.'

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    soratami, Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  18. [​IMG]
    teehee

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.