Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 59 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. [​IMG]

Exactly.
    Actually, let me (re)introduce the said masterpiece to the public, while I'm doing the write up and mourning at the same time:

Maybe someone has been missing out on this ultimate gem.

The next elimination will be posted soon.

2. Alrighty, let's get this going...

No, it's not yet...​

Yes, it's that one.

Actually, it isn't.

Meow...

[​IMG]

Animal

Average score: 8.182

Highest scores:
    11 x 1 (@elektroxx), 10 x 4 (@yeRleDanaL, @AllGagaLike, @Ana Raquel, @Untouchable Ace)
    Lowest score: 6 x 4 (@AshtrayHeart, @pop3blow2, @abael, @sesita)
    My score: 8

High peak: #4 (6 voters, 7 voters)
    Low peak: #10 (16 voters, 17 voters)

"The Fame Monster" sessions section keeps losing songs - four in a row so far. Is that going to continue?
    Either way, "Animal" is eliminated and claims quite an amount of accolades: it's the song with the least amount of 10's in the top 10, the top rated Darkchild production, the first song with no sub-6 scores and the first song that remained in the top 10 throughout the voting period. That's impressive.
    I think @elektroxx shouldn't be disappointed with those stats at all - basically everyone liked the song.

"Animal" is a song written by Lady Gaga and Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins, who also produced it, most likely in late 2008. It is very possible that the song was conceived during the sessions where Gaga was writing songs for other artists. Soon after its surfacing online, the song was thought to have been called "Jungle Claws", but that's not true. Also, there have been some speculations about the song's snippets being the ones of "Fetish", which is another unreleased Gaga song, although it was produced by RedOne and is a completely different song (we may or may not hear it in the future).

The musical structure of "Animal" bears a resemblance to "Superstar", but we waved goodbye to that song way back at #42. Basically, it's because Darkchild produced both songs.

I really like "Animal". As proven numerous of times, Gaga can't go wrong with synth-pop. Obviously, this song is more noticeably demo-ish than, let's say, "Reloaded" and it can easily be criticized for that, but it doesn't take long to read the thread title and recall which type of rate this is. Very good verses, confident delivery and propulsive beat already set up a promising start of a song. And then it gets to the magnificent pre-chorus. As soon as it gets to the "I can see the way that you're looking at me..." part, I'm already melted away by the cuteness. The added sparkling synths just add more charm to Gaga's adorable vocal delivery and lovely melody. Such a great earworm moment and easily the highlight of this song. Pure joy. The chorus contains a mouthful of lyrics spewed out rather quickly, which works well enough. And those synth flickers during the second verse are a very nice touch, too. It isn't as underproduced as it may sound on the first listen.
    The lyrics... are a bit dated, huh? I mean, the provocative lyrics with animal metaphors and a hint of sadomasochism is something that was left at the brink of the previous decade. There's no way.mp3 that Gaga wrote this for herself, even though our chanteuse was very well into double entendres and seductive motives in lyricism, especially during the the Pre-Fame days. This just doesn't sound like her usual gimmicky take on this type of thing and ends up a bit too on the nose (for example: "Wild like a tiger hunting your prey..." and such). I digress.
    It's the deliberately wonky post-chorus is mainly what brought my score down for this song, actually.
    It remains a competent bop, that's for sure, despite not really being top 10 worthy in my opinion.

"Animal" received visibly less commentary compared to the other songs in the top 10, but all of them are positive reviews.

A fellow unreleased Gaga enthusiast @yeRleDanaL (10) is wigless and proclaims: "I love a synth-pop masterpiece. The prechorus detaches my wig every. single. time. The vocals, iconic. That xylophone synth sound during the prechorus, iconic. Definitely worth a remaster." Yes at the pre-chorus stanning.

@berserkboi (8.4) wasn't too impressed in the beginning: "Lots to love but a bit repetitive in a way that gets annoying!", but proceeds to say: "Less annoying after listening again!"
    @Pat (8.5) is pretty much on the same page, saying: "Great outtake, but gets kinda repetitive after a while. Though it’s the best of the Darkchild outtakes and was stuck in my head a day after I listened to all the unreleased tracks." Well, we collectively rated it as the best Darkchild production outtake, so you should be satisfied.

@Untouchable Ace (10) thinks there was another possible path for Gaga: "She could have been an R&B queen or at least a Nelly Furtado collaborator." She could've been A-Ny-Thing. @M24 (8) calls it: "Serviceable but basic." and then adds: "I think I'd rather listen to Kesha's Animal." The last time I saw that name, it was spelled with a '$' and I'm not familiar with the song, so I won't judge anything.

@DominoDancing (7.5) thinks that it: "Requires a beefed up production (especially the drums, once more), but there's the core of a good track here." and @Laurence (9) makes a similar comment in a more optimistic way: "Great track. So dark. This would have played for sure at FAME KILLS for sure. But alas, that never happened. It's a good one but not as good as what The Fame Monster turned out to be. Clearly just a demo but if this was polished up, I'd love to hear it." For some reason, I completely forgot about the infamous Fame Kills tour and had it blocked out of my memory before searching for it (I lowkey thought it was some kind of unreleased Natalia Kills album, goodness knows why). *enters Wikipedia page* Wow, that's a thing that happened. The backlash. Kan'tye really deserved that, I can't stand him. Now that is a story that's going too keep my occupied until fall asleep.

Finally, @elektroxx (11) explains their choice: "I remember being obsessed with this demo. It's a shame that it wasn't sold to another artist. It's a bop."
    Yes, another bop gone to waste, unfortunately.

"We'll keep the neighbors up all night / Hot in the jungle, exotic apparel..."

Next up: After a few very close eliminations point-wise, there's a noticeable leap in the average score.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    M24, pop3blow2, Sprockrooster and 8 others like this.
  3. No, not "Animal." Not my eleven. I can't believe that I was the only person who give it an eleven. While I do like quite a few unreleased Gaga tracks, "Animal" was always the one that I felt was a missed opportunity and had the most hit potential. Had it been completed and officially released, it probably would've been also been one of my favorite tracks on The Fame Monster.

4. I prefer Reloaded over Animal, but it's an OK track.

5. Animal - 8.8. My last sub-9 song. It reminds me of 'Teeth' but not as good. It's still great but a bit repetitive. I

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    Maki likes this.
  6. Guess who finished catching up with the rate, just in time for the top 6?

7. While catching up with the last few eliminations, I'm not sure why but I randomly remembered Fame Kills for the first time in years, and thought both "wow, I can't believe that was actually a thing that almost happened" and also "odd @Maki hasn't mentioned in the rate at all". Guess I wasn't the only one who'd forgotten about it dd. When you think about it, had it happened, that tour would have almost certainly changed Gaga's career trajectory in some way. Makes you wonder what might've been.

And I don't think Natalia Kills ever had any sort of project titled "Fame Kills" (it would have been a lot, considering all the Gaga comparisons she drew early in her career), but she did have a web-series called "Love Kills", maybe that's where you got that idea from.

8. Woo! Welcome back, great to see you caught up! And I'm a bit embarrassed that your rate has finished before this one, despite being opened one and a half month later.

In the meantime, I'll be busy making the artwork for the song at #6, because there's always at least one that I skip for some damn reason. Which means that the top 5 will most likely be revealed tomorrow.

9. Almost forgot to say, but I barely know anything about Natalia, so probably "Kills" is what reminded me of her.

And, yeah, I think that the tour would make her career take a different turn and possibly even affected her music direction (given that "Born This Way" sessions haven't even started yet), which I'm glad didn't happen.
    I've been reading about it on Wikipedia and this segment made me scream:
    The determination.

On another note, any guesses for the next cut? I'm not giving any hints, since there are so few songs left.

Pat, soratami, Laurence and 4 others like this.
  10. Let's get rid of "Retro-Physical." It outlasting my eleven—I am disgusted.

11. 'Retro-Physical' is my lowest score left, at a 9!, so that can go next, but I've read some disparaging comments about 'Brooklyn Nights' so it could be that.

elektroxx, Maki and Untouchable Ace like this.
  12. I have three 7s, an 8 and two 10s left that this point. This could have gone a bit better, most of my 10s left in the first half of the rate...

Hoping anything but my two 10s goes next.

13. I forgot to mention this when I read it but is @berserkboi really taking part in a Gaga unreleased rate without having listened to ARTPOP??

14. That's right! I've only listened to albums by Lady Gaga in full up to The Fame Monster. By my timeline, ARTPOP will be listened to in 2023! :D Dddddd

15. dd I'm not sure I get the appeal of rating an artist's unreleased material when you haven't even listened to what they actually released.

16. I know pretty much all the singles, and liked Gaga enough across everything I've heard to support @Maki on their First Rate Hosting endeavours! :D

17. I think @berserkboi most likely wanted to thank me for taking part in his Dalida rate and Anime rate (which I haven't even caught up with yet oop) in this form.
    And you haven't even heard "Born This Way" album? Well, 2021 is the year you have to experience it.

As for the elimination, I'm still busy in the most unexpected ways and wanted to get someone else to post it, but am stubborn to do it myself. If I did so many write-ups until now, I can do five more eliminations.

18. Wait. Does this mean that you've never listened to Born This Way either? The album tracks on that are superior to the singles, in my opinion—particularly "Government Hooker," "Heavy Metal Lover" and "Schieße."

19. I know Heavy Metal Lover and I adore - so will definitely check out the rest! Maybe I can challenge myself to give Born This Way a listen as soon as I finish PJSC :D

20. Not a DALIDA rate wow i missed so many great rates. anyone interested in a The Supremes rate I might look into starting one I'm really bored.

soratami, MilesAngel, Maki and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.