Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 61 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Since there won't be an elimination tonight, let me make something up to not leave it empty:

"Retro-Physical" contains the word 'rockstar'. Gaga used that word in "Fooled Me Again", too.

She also used the word 'superstar' in at least five times of her songs. One of them is released "Paparazzi", of course. There are four more unreleased songs by her that contain that word. Can you find them all?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  2. Well here I am now~

and i'm ready to STAN. I'll do that once i figure out what I wanna do more thoroughly hehe and pleaseee!!!

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  3. How did retro physical get to #6...like i love it but just because it's more finished doesnt mean it's a better song, cute bridge though x

spaceship, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  4. Internet connectivity on my computer has been acting up throughout the evening, so hopefully that will resolve by tomorrow afternoon, when I should be finishing the write up and eventually posting the next cut.

Anyways, I don't see anyone trying this minigame:
    You don't have to find all three of them before answering - team work is encouraged!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  5. i would do this but i'm too busy listening to CASSIE i'm sorry.

soratami, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  6. • "Superstar."

7. I was about to say this... Let me see the songs.. That the simpsons song?

soratami, Maki and Untouchable Ace like this.
  8. [​IMG]
    As if that wasn't obvious enough lol

"You're All My Little Monsters" doesn't contain that word.
    But if the Simpsons song you're talking about is this one, and that is technically correct:

However, the other two songs that I'm referring to appear in this rate and both have been eliminated before the top 30.

9. One of them is 'Hollywood.'

10. If plurals are okay, 'Electric Kiss' contains the word 'Superstars.'

11. Correct!

Actually, this means there are four songs in total that I'm looking for (because I subconsciously excluded "Superstar" from the selection as being too obvious). Whoops!
    [​IMG]

Still two more left to find!

soratami, elektroxx and MilesAngel like this.
  12. Ooh, that's a nice catch - I didn't even know that myself, haha!
    But, yeah, only singulars are being counted. You get half of a point for that one!

13. 'Oh Baby' and 'Shut Up.'

14. Yes, that's it!
    [​IMG]

Since you guessed pretty much all of them them correctly, you deserve an award.
    Hm... do you want me to PM you the name of one song that made it to the top 3?

15. I would be very grateful if you could let my 11 win the rate...

JK Knowing one of the songs in the Top 3 would be grand thanks.

soratami and Maki like this.
  16. It's time to find out the first song to leave the glorified top 5.

Well, I'm afraid it's too late for me to rig the results, because...

I'm so unpredictable, just like you used to be...

[​IMG]

Second Time Around

Average score: 8.550

Highest scores:
    11 x 3 (@MilesAngel, @DominoDancing, @Markus1981), 10 x 9 (@Phonetics Boy, @CorgiCorgiCorgi, @HEARTCORE, @elektroxx, @Untouchable Ace, @yeRleDanaL, @Music Is Life, @Laurence, @Seventeen Days)
    Lowest score: 5 x 1 (@muddleddreams)
    My score: 9.25

High peak: #3 (5 voters, 7 voters, 10-12 voters)
    Low peak: #6 (9 voters, 18 voters)

After a tiny break with "Retro-Physical", "The Fame Monster" sessions claims another victim in the form of beautiful "Second Time Around". This song was very consistently scored, and don't let the sole 5 it received mislead you. It actually received received only three more sub-7 scores (one 6 and two 6.5's), which is less than anything else we eliminated so far (except from "Animal" and "Earthquake", which received the exact same amount of sub-7 scores). Also, following "Fooled Me Again", it's the second song to receive three 11's, which is an accomplishment.

"Second Time Around" was written by Lady Gaga and The JAM in 2008 for another artist (the name wasn't explicitly mentioned). The JAM is a production duo who mostly worked with R&B artists such as Leona Lewis, Brandy, Shontelle and JoJo, particularly during the late 00's, which makes me assume that the four ladies I just mentioned are the most likely artists this song was intended for. Also, this isn't the only song she did with that producers duo. The JAM and Gaga wrote "Murder My Heart" (which I talked about in this spotlight) with Michael Bolton for his album. That song was written in early August of 2008, and it's likely that "Second Time Around" was written at that time, too.
    If that's true, then "Second Time Around" kind of belongs to The Fame sessions, since the album was released about less than three weeks after this was recorded. Actually, her recording sessions for "The Fame" album have long concluded by this point, so its classification among "The Fame Monster" sessions is perfectly fine. Nevermind.

It first surfaced online in the summer of 2009, making it one of her earlier unreleased songs to leak. Gaga wasn't happy about it at all, but at least confirmed its background:

The song title can be heard in "Blueberry Kisses" (which is long gone, back at #44). A more subtle example of lyrical recycling Gaga was very fond of doing at the time.

What can be said about "Second Time Around"? It's a beautiful and poignant love song. Something she's never done before in terms of sound, too. With strong mid-to-late 00's R&B notes, it really is different than anything else in her discography and further proves that she's such a pro shape-shifter when it comes to different genres. Even the lyrics noticeably deviate from her usual ones, especially for that time. In fact, they sound like something found on "A Star Is Born" soundtrack more than anything else.
    From the lovely opening piano riff, which continues to run almost throughout the song and I connect with Rihanna's "Stupid in Love", it reaches the chorus with subtle synth flourishes, handclaps and backing vocals. I absolutely adore the verses, although the chorus had to grow on me as it feels a tiny bit too generic melodically (but that makes it sound like a hit, on the other hand) for me to give it a perfect 10. Gaga's incredibly cute and delicate vocals are secured to charm you, but the emotional delivery of the middle-8, especially the "Maybe the second time around is not meant for us, baby" line just makes you melt.

Like I've mentioned, the lyricism is very shifted, too. From the sequins, fame, money, sexual innuendos and general Lady Gaga Dictionary entries, she's been all about for the vast majority of her early days, this offers quite a change. And we need to spotlight it. While it's written in a typical manner and doesn't differ too much from other late 00's R&B ballads I've heard, it just works the way it is, spiced with some more specific lines like the couplet: "We tried going back to Joe's / That was always our favorite place", further convincing the listener to take notice of the timeline. It's all about a failed love story which I'm sure some will find very relatable.
    Break our heart a little, Gags.

Despite not giving it a 10, I think "Second Time Around" is among her finest unreleased moments. She could've released it as "The Cure"-style standalone
    single in early 2009 and got a cute hit before her domination era.
    Anyways, off to the commentary, where there's barely any criticism for this song.

While not being too impressed, @M24 (8.25) gives it a nice score and says:
    "Cute midtempo, very R&B. Nothing else I can say (eh eh)." *plays the aforementioned breezy bop* However, @Pat (8.5) calls it: "A hit." and continues by mentioning another rarity: "Gotta play ‘Murder My Heart’ after this.", proving once again that he knows pretty much everything about Gaga's unreleased music. @Phonetics Boy (10) thinks that this: "Would make a lovely Shontelle album track." To be honest, I couldn't name you one song by that artist from top of my head (but thanks for mentioning her, since I wouldn't make a (re?)-revelation that her version of "Impossible" is the original one). Now that I've heard a few songs by her and was that The JAM worked with her, it makes a lot of sense that you made that connection, which is actually very plausible to have actually been intended for her.

@pop3blow2 (8.5) mentions another very likely candidate for this song: "Not and, but one of those songs that needs a different singer. Imagine JoJo singing this one." and it feels appropriate that @Music Is Life (10) directly connects to that comparison: "There’s a very JoJo-esque pop/R&B vibe to this song, complete with handclaps so of COURSE I’m going to love it. That chorus is undeniable as well." By the way, this is @Music Is Life's final 10 to fall and he's only clinging on his 11 now.

@berserkboi (9.7) made up his mind: "This was initially due a lower score for sonically being like so many others songs I have heard before, but the charm of Gaga, the delivery and the beautiful instrumental finish warmed my cold cold heart!"
    Speaking of hearts, @yeRleDanaL (10) says: "The heartbreak of it all. I love the like early 2000's vibe this song has with that piano. This song really is that bitch and I feel like it would be a great album track on The Fame." It's an excellent song indeed, but I don't think it would fit any of her albums. @Untouchable Ace (10) goes a bit earlier than that: "90s domination style." Meanwhile, @spaceship (8) is into Gaga's vocals here: "I love her voice and tone on this and it's just a very pleasant song." and @Seventeen Days (10) expands on that thought, saying: "The slick R&B feel of this sounds so great with her voice. I would be on board with her eventually recording and releasing this." That would be interesting to hear for sure!

Go off, @Laurence (10): "I have played this to death for sure. My god. Who was it actually intended for? JoJo? It's such a good track and I love it. Relatable, lovely piano led production, great melody and what not? So I decided to give it a 10 but maybe my 11 too. It's beautiful and a strong chorus. The verses work. "I don't know what to tell you now / It's always harder the second time around". She did that. The clapping is also lovely. I can go on on this track for years I think. The bridge is heartbreaking too I guess, poor Gagsy. Maybe the second time around is not meant for us baby? Ouch."
    And even if you didn't end up giving it an 11, three other voters did.

One of them is @DominoDancing, who first gave this song a 9.5, before bumping it to his 11: "Wow this is very, very good. The chorus is super instant and the piano lines are hooky as well. So far my favourite among these outtakes/demos."
    Note: @DominoDancing is one of the four voters who didn't award any 10's in this rate, so this song certainly benefited from that score.

"I'm not sure the best way to say this / But I can't pretend to love you no more, babe..."

Next up: The most consistently scored song of the rate leaves.

17. I wonder if said artist would've released "Second Time Around" if it hadn't leaked. Also, I wonder who it was pitched to.

18. When I received my personal message telling me one of the songs in the Top 3, I had an inkling that my 11 wasn't long for the rate. But Top 5 is a great result. I have got 2 10's left.

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  19. Ddddd I thought Second Time Around had a real chance at winning this whole hing!

20. I was going to give my 11 to another song but put 'Second Time Around' on late one night, and ended up listening on repeat for half an hour, which made up my mind. The chorus melody is gorgeous and I love the way the vocal melodies cascade over one another.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.