Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 65 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. I hope... Nothing On wins

Maki likes this.
  2. Fashion shouldn't be in this rate as it was officially released.

[​IMG]

Pat, Laurence, Sprockrooster and 3 others like this.
  3. Start the rate again!

sesita, collxtion, berserkboi and 2 others like this.
  4. Hey, I’m just saying... I figured it was included because it wasn’t in the main rate.

5. If "Brooklyn Nights" isn't the next elimination, I don't want it.

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  6. [​IMG]

Anyways.

The song at #3 will be revealed in 5 minutes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  7. It's time.

Let's find out which song falls just before the grand final.

Third place goes to...

[​IMG]

Dress me, I'm your mannequin...

[​IMG]

Fashion

Average score: 8.829

Highest scores: 11 x 2
    (@Untouchable Ace, @M24), 10 x 10 (@elektroxx, @AllGagaLike, @soratami, @yeRleDanaL, @berserkboi, @Sprockrooster, @Ana Raquel, @Pat, @Markus1981, @Laurence)
    Lowest score: 5 x 2 (@Phonetics Boy, @TéléDex)
    My score: 9.75

High peak: #2 (29-33 voters)
    Low peak: #15 (5 voters)

And the bronze medal goes to "Fashion", which left the rest of "The Fame" sessions section in the dust; the last song we eliminated from that section was "Fooled Me Again" at #17. Impressively ahead of the pack. Also, it shouldn't be too surprising that it's the first out of the three medalists to leave the rate, given how many have already called for it. The lowest scores may be deceptive, because, besides the two 5's, the lowest score it received is a few 7's. That's a very consistently scores song. As you can see, this is the song I was referring to back in some leaderboard two that has managed to swap places with the runner-up at some point. Can you believe that it was #2 until the very last voter (@TéléDex, who gave it a 5)? Actually, it would've stayed at that spot if either of our lowest scorers (coincidentally the first and last voter of the rate) slightly raised their scores, since the score difference between the songs at #3 and #2 is just above 2. It was a tough fight for that spot, evidently.

"Fashion" is also the last officially released song to leave the rate. Speaking of which, let's talk a bit about its background. Written by Lady Gaga and RedOne in 2007, the song was given to Heidi Montag by RedOne and was supposed to appear on her debut album "Superficial". However, her (apparently leaked) version of "Fashion" was met with poor reception and, based on the few seconds of it I have heard, I can completely understand why. Makes sense her album was called "Superficial", too...
    Anyways, Gaga was allowed to keep her version (obviously, since she wrote it) and on 4th December, 2008, the original version by Lady Gaga was featured on an Ugly Betty episode titled "Bad Amanda" (ah, I actually remember watching a few episodes of that show). Eventually, the song was released on 17th February, 2009, appearing on Confessions of a Shopaholic soundtrack
    Also, there was some er... superficial drama surrounding the release. As Gagapedia tells me: After Gaga released her version of the song, Spencer Pratt, Montag's husband, went on record saying "Lady Gaga is repulsive!" and "Heidi's a far more talented artist, and her version of 'Fashion' kills Lady Gaga's."
    Well, I'm sure he's streaming "Chromatica", y'know, an album by the "repulsive" mega superstar that's selling millions. Whatever.

"Fashion" was performed briefly in 2009 during the first North American leg of The Monster Ball Tour (a total of six times). During the performance, Gaga is wearing an Egyptian styled crown with matching body suit and only one dancer is accompanying her.
    And, something that will sound pointless to everyone (except @berserkboi): Gaga released nearly the same titled song "Fashion!" on the "ARTPOP" album.

I don't know if you've noticed this, but Gaga seems to quite like fashion.

[​IMG]

Jokes aside, this is something that followed her and set her apart from the rest since the very beginnings, especially during the first half of her career, with public anxiously awaiting what's the next shocking, controversial or breathtaking outfit she's going to reveal. Without any doubt, fashion played a humongous role in Gaga's career and her enormous passion towards it is undeniable. Many monumental garments displayed for the world to see, which pushed and further expand the boundaries of your typical popstar. She was just serving look after look after look. Iconic looks, may I emphasize that. I mean:
    [​IMG]

So, it definitely makes sense that she wrote and recorded a song about fashion (ignoring the fact that a good portion of her early music reflects on fashion lol).

Now, you may wonder why didn't this make-up artiste/chanteuse actually release a clothing line, since it plays such a huge role in her life. Well, according to an interview she did with The New York Post in 2016, she gives a perfectly valid reason:
    "The thing is, at the end of the day, I have a real respect for fashion designers. It's the reason I don't have my own line and the reason I never will. If I ever do anything in fashion, it will always just be as a muse or as an aesthetic, creative."

I respect this 100% and applaud her for keeping her artistry to herself and using fashion solely for artistic purposes (though a make up line is not something I saw coming, at least not before the supposed fashion line).
    Now, since I don't consider myself a huge fan of fashion, I won't blabber on about it anymore and say something about the song.

The song itself is a complete banger and I can definitely understand why so many of you gave it high scores. If "Vanity" is a song that encapsulates her mindset of the entire "The Fame" era, then "Fashion" is a sum-up of that certain aspect - clothes, accessories, bling bling. Sonically, it houses everything that made that album what it is. From those opening synths, distinctive when it comes to RedOne's production and the cheeky, gimmicky side of Gaga found on that brand naming pre-chorus, to the amazingly catchy and massive chorus and the incredibly charming 'ooh, ooh, la la la...' hook/post-chorus, this literally has all of the elements that are beneficial for this era. And while it lacks a middle-8, it just flows and bops in the most effective way and doesn't even warrant it. Lyrically speaking, it's a bit too on the nose and deliberately materialistic, but who needs insightful lyrics when you have this glorious bop? And that holds true to most of this era. By the way, I find this verse very cute:

I need some new stilettos
    Can't walk down the street in those
    You are who you wear it's true
    A girl's just as hot as the shoes she choose

Also, I prefer "Fashion" to "Fashion!" - don't know if that's an unpopular opinion.

It being omitted in Gaga's official discography rate (when even freaking "Christmas Tree" made it there), despite being brought up several times, actually proved to be an excellent choice, since I couldn't see it doin remotely well over there. It benefited greatly from being included here (something that @Sprockrooster mentioned in the commentary).
    Nonetheless, I'm glad to see it reach the top 3 and finishing with bronze. Not sure why I hesitated to give it full marks and help on to 9.75 as its score (perhaps the lack of middle-8 or something), but in hindsight, this should've gotten a 10 from me for this rate. Still, that wouldn't be enough to surpass the runner-up, so I shouldn't be bothered. A top 3 placement is a great feat.

I thought the commentary was going to be full of "Fashion" vs. "Fashion!" comparisons, but it seems you went with something more... shallow.mp3

Starting with @elektroxx (10), who utters: "Although not as iconic as Heidi Montag's version, this is a bop and it's a shame that it didn't get released as a single off the Confessions Of A Shopaholic soundtrack." If I was able to finish listening to her versions of the song, I would've said something about it.
    Ah, here's @VitaminBee (9) with some common sense: "I don't understand people saying they like Heidi's version more, unless it's ironically or something." and @SyPOPhantic (9) joins him with declaring: "EASILY better than Heidi Montag’s version." Meanwhile, @Laurence (10) thinks that he's in a minority: "I'm one of the few but I prefer this over Heidi Montag. Try me, Fashionistas. I think it works better for Gaga and she's way more Fashion sensed than Heidi and also Fashion is so important in her Pop Music, so that's why I guess. Love the chorus, love the verses. Yas, a banger. I adore it." You're not one of the few to prefer Gaga's version, at least according to the voters in this rate. And yes, it's a banger.

@spaceship (9) reveals that this song was an obscure radio hit: "Well... this is why a radio hit back in the day in Lebanon so I'm still obsessed." Isn't Lebanon the country that banned "Born This Way" album? Mess. @Ana Raquel (10) has been a long time fan: "I remember being obsessed with it back then!!!! Had totally forgotten about it." Was it played on radio in Brazil, too?

Mentioning the previous Gaga rate and its fantastic host, @Sprockrooster (10) says: "A fantastic song and suddenly I am glad @Subwaykid left it out of the general rate, so it has a bigger chance to do well. Both this song and Fashion! are essential Gaga to me. This one has that easy accessible sound that makes it unable to age. Top 3 of the rate here!" And guess what? It made it to the top 3!
    @berserkboi (10) makes me laugh: "The turning point of her having a banger that the “French” put ons don’t turn me off on! Stan!!!" An accomplishment. Only Gaga.

@AshtrayHeart (9) has loved it for a while, saying: "At least this got released in some form. It'll always remind me of Confessions of a Shopaholic." On the other hand, @yeRleDanaL (10) makes a revelation: "I literally didn't even know this was unreleased. It would fit right in with The Fame so it's a shame that it was cut." I agree that it's essentially "The Fame" song, but it was released in some form, at least. Despite giving it a high score, @Pat (10) isn't sure whether this song deserves it: "Now this is a jam, but the 10 feels kinda undeserving in context of this rate, seeing as it was released on the Shopaholic soundtrack. But a bop is a bop." Its place in this rate is deserving, since the we're rating unreleased, demos and rarities.

A confession from @DominoDancing (8): "I actually like this better than Fashion!, I hate to admit." Don't worry, you're definitely not alone - I prefer this "Fashion", too. But that doesn't apply to the lowest scorer among the commentary - @Seventeen Days (7.75), who says: "Not the better of the two tracks with this name, but still an enjoyable little bop."

And both of our 11-givers provided commentary.

It makes sense that one of the most supportive fans of "The Fame" sessions, @M24, gives his 11 to this song. Unsurprisingly, they only have praise for it: "Love me some RedOne/Gaga collab! The way she namechecks the brands in french.. I LIVE FOR THAT. I don't care if this is basic, there goes my 11. Maybe my high score is due to nostalgia, as this leaked when I was a pop fan and a Gaga stan so I made good use of it, I don't know. Will leave that for my psychologist to deduce?"
    Also mentioning the nostalgia reasons, @Untouchable Ace (11) says: "The chorus is one thing, but then the extra production layer however hollow is extra for me. The song is life goals, and I've known this song the longest out of the list."

"Ooh ooh, la la la / We love designer..."

*frowns* ...okay, I'll link this one, too:

And its older/younger sister:

Next up: THE FINALE.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    M24, soratami, yeRleDanaL and 11 others like this.

8. [​IMG]

2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

Average score: 7.018

Eliminations:
    3. Fashion
    17. Fooled Me Again
    23. New York
    24. The Greatest Thing
    25. Take You Out
    26. Filthy Pop
    27. Panty Party
    41. Shut Up
    43. Oh Baby
    54. Your Freakin' Car

Highest averages per voter:
    9.025 - @Maki
    8.720 - @berserkboi
    8.500 - @M24
    8.100 - @yeRleDanaL
    8.010 - @pop3blow2

Lowest averages per voter:
    4.600 - @sesita
    5.600 - @abael
    5.850 - @SyPOPhantic
    5.850 - @TéléDex
    6.200 - @HEARTCORE

M24, soratami, Crisp X and 7 others like this.

9. [​IMG]

VS.

[​IMG]

The finalists are revealed. But which song will take the crown?
    Which song do you want to win?

soratami, sesita, Crisp X and 9 others like this.
  10. Heidi's version of "Fashion" is objectively terrible, but there's a certain charm to its terribleness. Very few can capture the pure enthusiasm that Heidi has when she sings "RedOne! Heidi!"

And although it's done completely unintentionally, Heidi's terrible French accent and mispronunciation of designer labels feels like a critique on capitalism and the Nouveau Riche.

M24, Crisp X, Laurence and 3 others like this.
  11. @VitaminBee, you're definitely correct when saying that "Fashion" is officially released, but it does belong to this rate (that's why I included the word 'rarities' in this rate's title), and you got it right after that it's included mainly here because it wasn't included in her official rate. But "Fashion" is certainly not the only song in this rate that was officially released.

Speaking of which, here's the ranking of the (somewhat) officially released songs:

1. Fashion (#3)
    2. Vanity (#13)
    3. Stache (#14)
    4. Wish You Were Here (#33)
    5. No Floods (#37)
    6. Red and Blue (#38)
    7. Something Crazy (#48)
    8. Words (#50)
    9. Stuck on Fuckin’ You (#53)
    10. Cake Like Lady Gaga (#56)
    11. Fountain of Truth (#59)
    12. World Family Tree (#60)

12. A deserving winner of the rate.

Maki and berserkboi like this.
  13. *demonic roar drowned in cavern-reverb like some creature coming out of the dark* REDDDOOOOOOONEE
    *girlie screech* HEIDI!

Fashion is a classic. Is not really shocking that it made this far, but also thought it would be something "cute next to gorgeous" blablabla.

Brooklyn Nights can't win.

14. Heidi's "STALettos" always sends me. High camp in all the wrong ways.

Gotta be Brooklyn Nights at #2. I really haven't seen anyone calling for Nothin' On so I'm guessing she's secure.

Maki likes this.
  15. I don't remember being played on the radio, I just remember being obsessed with it. ddddd

soratami, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  16. Team Brooklyn Nights but love Nothing On as well.

And yes Fashion being top 3 is justice as it also is in mine from this reloaded. In fact switch Reloaded with Nothing On and you have my top 3.

17. I was compiling some stats which should be posted after the winner is revealed and...

[​IMG]

soratami, yeRleDanaL, sesita and 4 others like this.
  18. What happened?

Me waiting for @Maki to continue
    [​IMG]

19. Even though I've been going on about it leaving I gave Fashion 9.2 because it is great, I just prefer several other tracks. But I also prefer Fashion to Fashion!, which got 7 in the other rate, mainly because it hasn't got Will.I.Am stinking up the joint with his obnoxious vocals.

Maki likes this.
  20. I don't really mind which song wins, but one of them was my nearly 11 so I'm hoping that does win, but I won't say which track that is until the winner is revealed.

Maki likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.