Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished) | Page 8 | The Popjustice Forum

Lady Gaga: Unreleased, demos and rarities rate (Finished)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Feb 16, 2020.

?

Which section had the most discoveries/is your favourite?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2020.
  1. 2005/2006 - Early years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red and Blue EP

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 2006/2007 - Pre-Fame sessions (Team Love Child)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 2007/2008 - The Fame sessions

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 2008/2009 - The Fame Monster sessions

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. 2010/2011 - Born This Way sessions

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. 2012/2013 - ARTPOP sessions

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Thanks for tagging me! I thought I’m kinda familiar with the unreleased stuff but... the list proved me wrong, haha. Not sure If I will be sending my scores because there are some songs I don’t know at all and ranking them alongside my favourites doesn’t seem very fair to me but I’m definitely keeping my eye on the thread, stupid lovers.

2. Nice, thanks for showing up!
    This is a great opportunity to make discoveries, so you never know which song may become one of your favorites. Also, we all have more or less obvious favorite songs, that's why we're rating them, after all.
    Do you want a playlist?

soratami, myblood and Untouchable Ace like this.
  3. I got the playlist and working through it right now, thanks!

4. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I don't stan Gaga hard enough for this, I'm afraid. Sorry!

Music Is Death and Maki like this.
  5. Living On The Radio is so pretty. I think the theme is similar to I Wanna Be With You, but in a sadder way.
    While the latter sees Gaga finding strength in music and her fans when all else fails, the former's whole message reads like "I feel completely miserable and empty, but... at least I'm successful, I guess?". It sounds so hopeless, especially the "when you only got your daddy to call" part.

Some of the ballads will really be done dirty, won't they?

6. Exactly, thank you for pointing that out. I was a bit confused at first, but the more I look at the lyrics, the clearer the message becomes.
    And "I Wanna Be With You" will appear in one of the future spotlights, too.

The song I was referring to isn't a ballad.

soratami, Music Is Death and myblood like this.
  7. Poor Stefani then.

soratami, Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  8. It's not even a song by Stefani, surprisingly (although she has one song in the bottom 10).

soratami, Untouchable Ace and myblood like this.
  9. Oh, I see someone joined me in the poll and voted for 2007/2008 ("The Fame" sessions), too - taste!

Continuation of 'before the fame' spotlights coming very soon!

10. [​IMG]
    (I forgot which font I used for the previous one, so it's different now)

Tapes, acting and songwriting (2001 - 2004)
    [​IMG]

In the first part, I mentioned that Stefani was acting for a little bit. Her other, more well-known, 'role' (better say, appearance) was in the crime drama series "The Sopranos", in the season 3 episode called "The Telltale Moozadell" which was first aired on April 22, 2001. Her acting does seem genuinely good, from that short scene, at least. Take a look:

The scene is... chaotic - just like "ARTPOP" era and Enigma tour

Apart from these two TV acting 'roles', Stefani took part in quite a lot of plays during high school, while being a member of the high school choir, too. One of the plays is called Guys and Dolls, in which she played in Convent of the Sacred Heart (all-female) school during the 2004. Stefani played Miss Adelaide in the production:
    [​IMG]
    Can you believe this photo was taken in 2004? She looks so much like nowadays - especially that Golden Globe look.

[​IMG]
    Look at that emotion and grace. Marilyn Monroe who?

Okay, enough about acting - back to music.

Stefani joined and sang in a classic-rock cover band during her freshman year of high school. This may be the first 'official band', possibly named Mackin Pulsifer (at least that is credited as the first band by Lady Gaga in her liner notes of her debut album, "The Fame"). They mostly did covers of Led Zeppelin's songs, along with Pink Floyd and Jefferson Airplane. Gaga's version of "White Rabbit" would've been interesting to hear, actually, as well as some Pink Floyd's classics (I'm intentionally skipping Led Zeppelin, you'll see why). We don't know how long the band lasted, but they surely disbanded before she graduated.
    Fun fact: Lady Gaga's favorite song by Pink Floyd is "Eclipse". Interesting choice, given the album it appears on.

But, most importantly, did you know that Lady Gaga had already recorded an EP back in 2001/2002? That's right, Stefani had already planned and recorded demos before even joining her first band (she was 14-15 during the time). I imagine most of them are piano ballads, but we may never know.

This is the tracklisting:
    Kisses are Quarters - 4:18
    If Only - 3:06
    Selfish Girl - 2:11
    In a Dream - 3:07

Photo to prove it:
    [​IMG]
    "Selfish Girl" before Rihanna even started making music? Always ahead of her time.

Since this is a rate dedicated to mostly unreleased music, all of these would've been more than a welcome inclusions. Unfortunately, there's little to no chance we'll ever going to hear them, for the reason that I'm going to reveal in the next part.

Around the same time, our singer-songwriter chanteuse began performing in open mic nights. She was too young that her mother had to go with her - knowing that Stefani would sneak out anyway. "These were jazz bars, not sex clubs," she explains. "They would have open mic nights so my mother would take me along and say, 'My daughter's very young but she's very talented. I'll sit with her as she plays.' "
    Oh, how things would change very soon...

In the following years, Stefani spent time writing songs and planning her music career, and by the end of 2004, she had a lot of songs written, which were starting to get unveiled one by one.
    Also, she graduated in the same year:
    [​IMG]
    Gaga at the prom. The guy's smile gives me creeps, though.

Her yearbook also had some interesting things, but more about that next time.

To be continued...​

stuaw, soratami, elektroxx and 9 others like this.
  11. So, someone voted for the 2010/2011 section in the poll.
    [​IMG]

12. It's so crazy how Gaga seemingly planned her career through her whole life, and so satisfying to have witnessed it happen.
    These write ups are getting me so nostalgic dd.

stuaw, soratami, elektroxx and 4 others like this.
  13. Not this post making me think for a moment that you've actually witnessed her journey way before the fame.

The following parts of 'before the fame' spotlights will have a lot of twists and turns...

soratami, Laurence, myblood and 3 others like this.
  14. Let me say that @berserkboi came through with commentary!
    (even though he still has to finalize the actual scores)

The next song spotlight should be up tomorrow!

soratami, myblood, elektroxx and 5 others like this.
  15. Hey @Maki, I won't be able to do this because I don't know the songs well enough and it would probably take me ages to rate them. Many thanks for asking though, and best of luck! x

Are you still planning on doing a No Doubt rate later this year? If the answer's yes, then I'd definitely be up for it! :o)

Maki likes this.
  16. No worries, thanks for notifying me!
    Same goes for @londonrain.

Of course! Not sure whether it will be later this year or early next year, but I'm surely planning to do it.
    In fact, No Doubt was supposed to be my first rate, but this one came along and I replaced them. Happy that you're going to join!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  17. Hopefully I will have my scores done this weekend! It’s hard trying to pick an 11...

Maki likes this.
  18. Great!
    I've had a few 11 contenders, too, and decided to go with the song that's most likely to end up underrated, (which narrowed my choice to one song, since the other few are already considered as fan favorites).

soratami and VitaminBee like this.
  19. I think @soratami, @GimmeWork and @AllGagaLike will be here for this one...

[​IMG]

The Fame (Demo)
    Reason for not being included: a demo/early version of an officially released song (obviously)

One of the most obvious songs that were excluded from this rate is the demo(s) of the title track of Gaga's debut album:

The intro of the song is cut in this link - the full version can be found in the 'Bonus' folder of the song pack that I PM'd you

First of all, the rectification of the title of this video - of course the song wasn't recorded in 2005 (she was still in her full-on pop rock, singer-songwriter phase at the time), but in 2007.

The full story is: In mid-2007, Gaga went to Cherrytree Records office to meet Martin Kierszenbaum (Cherry Cherry Boom Boom) and potentially record some music. The first song they wrote and recorded is "The Fame". Fun fact: on the final version, Gaga sang everything in one take and spent about five hours on the harmony (basically, all of the background vocals).

Martin succinctly explained the way they met and started making music:
    She was a brunette. But she was dynamic, and had that exuberant personality we all know now. She hadn’t recorded any of those songs—“Just Dance” or “Pokerface”—yet. [...] She started talking about Prince saying 'He’s the greatest.' Well, I love Prince too. So we started talking about his records. I said, 'Come to my studio, and let’s work. If you like Prince, and you want to get down, let’s do it. I have all of the old drum machines, and all of the old keyboards.' She came over, and the first song we wrote was “The Fame.” She then told me, 'I love this song. I want to call my album this.' So my song becomes the anchor for the album. She developed a whole campaign, aesthetic and persona for it.

Even though some of the earlier songs made the cut, this really marked the beginning of true creative (and somewhat thematic) process for her debut album.

Apart from "The Fame", the other known songs that Martin Kierszenbaum and Gaga wrote are "Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)", "I Like It Rough", "Starstruck" (all officially released), "Sometimes" (a song which already had its spotlight in this thread) and "Take You Out" (a song we're actually rating!) Unfortunately, the last few songs they wrote was back in 2008 and none of them saw an official release (apart from ugly "Christmas Tree"). However, Martin remained working as part of Gaga's team. As Wiki tells me, from 2008 to 2010, he was one of the two A&R of Lady Gaga, and from 2011 to onward, he continues to work with Lady Gaga as Interscope's head of international. Also, he had produced Lady Gaga's first live EP, "The Cherrytree Sessions", which was released in February 2009.

[​IMG]
    In 2009 - a shame they haven't created more music since

Let's get onto the actual song. The demo (so-called concept demo) version of "The Fame" is quite different from the final version. It's possibly the first recorded attempt of the song, therefore sounding very unfinished. Conceptually and even instrumentally, the song is very similar, but melodically there are noticeable differences. Lyrically, it's mostly similar, too (although it contains some iffy lyrics, like 'my crown's tighter than virgins in the '50s'). The verses are delivered in more of a "Beautiful, Dirty, Rich" manner, and I'm digging it. The variation on the chorus is a bit too repetitive, although good enough to maintain attention. But the thing I'm most grateful for is that they completely changed the middle-8; the final one is gorgeous in its 80's glory, while this one is just typical talk-rap-singing Rob Fusari and Gaga collab circa 2006/7.
    Interestingly, in the first verse, there is a line 'that shit's ugly', which will re-appear two years later, on the song "Teeth". Also, the line 'give me, give me muffin lovin' marked the birth of the 'muffin innuendo' - about six months before "Poker Face" was even written.
    Overall, the song had such a great improvement, even though I consider it more on the middle ground of "The Fame" (the album), it is a nice addition to her discography that brought us a nice story.

There's also this demo of the song, which sounds almost exactly the same, except for a few tweaks, most apparently the melody in the middle-8 is slightly different and the vocals are more raw-sounding:

And, to finish this off, let's listen to the finalized and officially released (and obviously the best) version of the song:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  20. Sent my finalised scores for this! As per the host extraordinaire - I did an additional listen through before sending to see if the songs grew on me! Some did, some got a downgraded score when I noticed pitch problem on top of excruciating vocal affectations! Let’s hope that era I dislike as well as the other clunkers go swiftly!! Lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.